Wildguzzi.com
General Category => General Discussion => Topic started by: NC Steve on February 07, 2016, 01:57:57 PM
-
One of the very finest will soon be gone... :cry:
http://www.phillyvoice.com/report-cycle-gear-buy-philadelphias-revzilla-400-500-million/
-
Well, they're not going to pay $400-500M just to throw away their recipe for success.
So we'll have to see how this develops.
But the CG'sv around here generally are pretty crappy and mostly stock their lousy house brand stuff.
-
And three of its owners will be VERY rich.
-
Well, they're not going to pay $400-500M just to throw away their recipe for success.
So we'll have to see how this develops.
But the CG'sv around here generally are pretty crappy and mostly stock their lousy house brand stuff.
Exactly
-
Well, they're not going to pay $400-500M just to throw away their recipe for success.
But the CG'sv around here generally are pretty crappy and mostly stock their lousy house brand stuff.
True here too!
Sad news to me.
-
Well, they're not going to pay $400-500M just to throw away their recipe for success.
So we'll have to see how this develops.
But the CG'sv around here generally are pretty crappy and mostly stock their lousy house brand stuff.
Don't be so sure. Revzilla faced huge and growing competition from Amazon, people would visit Revzilla but buy elsewhere. CG hopes to leverage the Revzilla name online but Amazon is slowly taking that away.
Already, most of what Revzilla sold is also sold by Amazon and Amazon's delivery services with their new venture into a single source seller and deliverer is unstoppable.
Any price Revzilla has was generally matched on Amazon and more and more manufacturers are finding they can eliminate online stores like Revzilla by using Amazon as a factory outlet. Amazon has warehousing and inventory space that CG can't match.
Basically, the Revzilla guys got out at a perfect time. CG on the other hand might find itself with an expensive website and dwindling customers.
CGs reputation isn't stellar and it will dilute the Revzilla space. You can't just buy a good name and bolster your brick and mortar name and think someone like Amazon won't just take the cream and leave you drinking water.
Think about it, you can go to Revzilla but buy from Amazon and in the sane order also get something for your car, stuff for other family members and things completely unrelated.
I think Revzilla was brilliant but CG made a huge mistake.
Pretty soon you'll be able to buy that set of gloves, oil and plugs and a box if crackers and have it delivered the same day.
-
WOW that is a heck of a valuation! Revzilla must be turning some awesome revenue and profit numbers to generate that kind of price. We know where the profits are, and it's on the web.
9 years from startup to cashed out millionaires.... Have to admire that....
The article says they only have 140 employees! Wonder where that "reported" valuation comes from and how accurate it is.
-
Good news for Motorcycle Superstore. I'm not a fan of Cycle Gear. The stores feel cheap to me. I don't enjoy going there.
-
Don't be so sure. Revzilla faced huge and growing competition from Amazon, people would visit Revzilla but buy elsewhere. CG hopes to leverage the Revzilla name online but Amazon is slowly taking that away.
Already, most of what Revzilla sold is also sold by Amazon and Amazon's delivery services with their new venture into a single source seller and deliverer is unstoppable.
Any price Revzilla has was generally matched on Amazon and more and more manufacturers are finding they can eliminate online stores like Revzilla by using Amazon as a factory outlet. Amazon has warehousing and inventory space that CG can't match.
Basically, the Revzilla guys got out at a perfect time. CG on the other hand might find itself with an expensive website and dwindling customers.
CGs reputation isn't stellar and it will dilute the Revzilla space. You can't just buy a good name and bolster your brick and mortar name and think someone like Amazon won't just take the cream and leave you drinking water.
Think about it, you can go to Revzilla but buy from Amazon and in the sane order also get something for your car, stuff for other family members and things completely unrelated.
I think Revzilla was brilliant but CG made a huge mistake.
Pretty soon you'll be able to buy that set of gloves, oil and plugs and a box if crackers and have it delivered the same day.
What are you talking about?
Revzilla was located in such a crappy part of town they used to have to buzz you in at the front door. Then they moved to the Navy Yard and its nicer, but mostly warehouse. And they don't keep a whole lot in the showroom.
Not to mention they weren't doing 100's of millions of dollars out of the showroom in the Philly area. The VAST MAJORITY of their business has always been internet.
They offer free shipping on most things and no hassle returns etc.
So no one was stopping by to try it on and buy it elsewhere.
And again, looking at their level of sales they obviously have a shit ton more buying power than most Amazon retailers.
Sure there will always be the occasional retailer offering something cheaper on Amazon or elsewhere, but but and large I don't think Revzilla was worried about any competition smaller than CG or one of the other large catalog/net retailers.
Also as a user of Amazon prime, there's no advantage to buying my MC gear along with car parts or baby toys or anything else. My shipping is either free or not. Delivery is 2 days or not.
-
I don't mind Cycle Gear they have some useful bits built to price point. Kind of like HF. What I don't like is the sales staff. Every time you go at the checkout they try to sell you some widget of the week after telling you how awesome, how you have to try it out and you cannot live without it. Last time it was some space age glove liner. He said you have to try these out they are amazing. I told him I have electric gloves and he said well they great for just wearing around the house doing winter stuff. I wanted to give him a 3 Stooges eye gouge. Then they want name, address, email address etc... All I want to do is get my $6 can of chain lube and get out of there. I now only go in as a last ditch effort to get something.
-
I bought a fork spring compressor yesterday. It's made by Race Tech, $140 something on the Race Tech site. $120 on Amazon-still with the Race Tech logo. Someday Amazon and Jeff Bezos will rule the world.
-
For me, the key attraction to shopping at RevZilla, aside from the vast selection, is the no-hassle return policy. With gear, you have to try it on and decide whether it's the right size, shape, etc., no matter how carefully you read the description. How many Amazon resellers (other than RevZilla) offer instant returns, let you print out a convenient prepaid UPS label, and let you do this routine repeatedly until you're satisfied? Yes, you do have to pay for the UPS return, but it's a low price, and for me, it's not much more than the cost of the gas I would use to exchange an item in person locally. The RevZilla return policy is exactly that, not an exchange policy. You get your purchase price refunded regardless of whether you buy a replacement. This speeds things up considerably, since you can order the different size and get it fast, before RevZilla even receives the one you sent back. For that matter (although I've never tried this), you can order several sizes at once, and return all but the one that fits, saving multiple return shipping costs. How many Amazon resellers will do this? Will Cycle Gear do it? Furthermore, RevZilla has a price-matching policy, and I've found that they do honor it.
-
What are you talking about?
Revzilla was located in such a crappy part of town they used to have to buzz you in at the front door. Then they moved to the Navy Yard and its nicer, but mostly warehouse. And they don't keep a whole lot in the showroom.
Not to mention they weren't doing 100's of millions of dollars out of the showroom in the Philly area. The VAST MAJORITY of their business has always been internet.
They offer free shipping on most things and no hassle returns etc.
So no one was stopping by to try it on and buy it elsewhere.
And again, looking at their level of sales they obviously have a shit ton more buying power than most Amazon retailers.
Sure there will always be the occasional retailer offering something cheaper on Amazon or elsewhere, but but and large I don't think Revzilla was worried about any competition smaller than CG or one of the other large catalog/net retailers.
Also as a user of Amazon prime, there's no advantage to buying my MC gear along with car parts or baby toys or anything else. My shipping is either free or not. Delivery is 2 days or not.
That just you, there are far more people buy than just you.
Crappy part of town? Its a website, who cares where the office is?
The manufacturers are now selling in Amazon, time to take a look. Why buy from some website who resells when I can buy via Amazon who is holding inventory for the manufacturer, offers no hassle returns, gives me rewards points on my CC, free shipping, generous returns and so on?
Just because you don't mix and match what you buy there doesn't mean no one else does. Taken a look at how much product moves through Amazon lately?
-
That just you, there are far more people buy than just you.
Crappy part of town? Its a website, who cares where the office is?
The manufacturers are now selling in Amazon, time to take a look. Why buy from some website who resells when I can buy via Amazon who is holding inventory for the manufacturer, offers no hassle returns, gives me rewards points on my CC, free shipping, generous returns and so on?
Just because you don't mix and match what you buy there doesn't mean no one else does. Taken a look at how much product moves through Amazon lately?
Boy missed every part of that reply.
First you claimed Revzilla was or would be hurt by people who drop in and look then buy elsewhere online. I demonstrated where that's false.
"The manufacturers" meaning who all brands? People buy from Revzilla because they get way more information than they get from Amazon with just as good a price and shipping/return policies.
Plus Revzilla gives rebate money for use on future purchases.
As for mix and match, if you have Amazon prime there is literally NO BENEFIT TO MIXING AND MATCHING IT DOESN'T SAVE YOU ANYTHING.
Bottom line, for a selling price like this Revzilla had to be moving significant product. Amazon night dwarf them in overall sales, but I'd be surprised if they were touching this percentage of the motorcycle gear market and I don't see Amazon's overall strategy as targeting a deeper share.
-
Boy missed every part of that reply.
First you claimed Revzilla was or would be hurt by people who drop in and look then buy elsewhere online. I demonstrated where that's false.
"The manufacturers" meaning who all brands? People buy from Revzilla because they get way more information than they get from Amazon with just as good a price and shipping/return policies.
Plus Revzilla gives rebate money for use on future purchases.
As for mix and match, if you have Amazon prime there is literally NO BENEFIT TO MIXING AND MATCHING IT DOESN'T SAVE YOU ANYTHING.
Bottom line, for a selling price like this Revzilla had to be moving significant product. Amazon night dwarf them in overall sales, but I'd be surprised if they were touching this percentage of the motorcycle gear market and I don't see Amazon's overall strategy as targeting a deeper share.
Sorry, that is not what I said. Read my first post again.
Now past that, Amazon is just a reseller and store conduit for other sellers. Guess who also sells on Amazon? Revzilla. That is a reseller selling on another resellers store. Amazon isn't doing that for free. Why would Revzilla sell through Amazon? Customer reach that's why.
Now if you read my comments you'd see that I wasn't referring to the present only but the future as well.
Lot of online sellers saw their business go to Amazon. So far, Amazon hasn't paid much attention to the motorcycle accessory segment but they are starting to.
Amazon has the scale of economy that Revzilla can't even think about matching and when they get their sole source delivery going they can lower delivery rates and control delivery quality.
The rewards on Amazon can be used to buy anything, not just motorcycle accessories, huge difference to what Revzilla and other website stores offer.
Revzilla can't offer manufacturer to customer direct sales, Amazon can, letting manufacturers set up their own shops right on Amazon and then they just fulfill for them. When you buy, the buy is factory direct Amazon just ships but also requires factories adhere to standard return policies.
If you don't see where Amazon is head, OK, not everyone does. That doesn't mean they aren't going there. CG can't fix its reputation by buying one from someone else.
-
Norge Pilot. The Coldplay of Wildguzzi. :grin:
-
I am surprised that Revzilla would be worth $500 million and also surprised that Cycle Gear could pay that!
I've been in Cycle Gear several times. They do stock some high-quality name-brand items but they also carry a lot of their cheapo house-brand items.
Whatever sells!
-
I am surprised that Revzilla would be worth $500 million and also surprised that Cycle Gear could pay that!
I've been in Cycle Gear several times. They do stock some high-quality name-brand items but they also carry a lot of their cheapo house-brand items.
Whatever sells!
Some of the Cycle Gear stuff is very good, but you have to go in the store, try it on, etc. Their freeze out line is excellent, much to my surprise. I posted how much I like a new Bilt helmet for a little over a hundred bux. Their guarantee is hard to beat. That said, I *think* they've been bought out, too..
-
NP - So what helmet manufacturers have set up direct to customer supply routes through Amazon?
This morning I searched Arai, Shoei, and HJC.
There were no factory direct retailers (not that it couldn't be done, and certainly it's becoming more and more common).
All that i checked this morning were listing dozens of smaller sellers that are just using Amazon for fulfillment, and most were not available with prime.
Also, like is often the case with more pricey items these days there were no significant discounts except the odd "used" or damaged package option or discontinued model/color.
What I sound particularly interesting is how the generic sell everything Amazon model doesn't necessarily work as well as the motorcycle specific Revzilla model for these items.
Revzilla offers the shopper a better interface (better applicable category links, and ways to compare contrast competitive products). Plus Revzilla has significantly more information from their own video reviews, sizing charts/data, and often many more customer reviews.
I'm not saying Amazon isn't a powerhouse, but I'm saying there was a reason Revzilla built such a successful business in under a decade and there's no reason it can't continue in the current market.
Things change all the time, but there's no writing in the wall assuring one player's dominance right now.
Leaf, the CG stores vary greatly from one to the next with regards to what brands they carry. I've been in west coast ones with 2-3x the square footage of the ones around here. Those larger stores carried an impressive variety of upper end brands. But around PA/DE/NJ I find tiny stores with little more than Built gear.
-
I like our Cycle Gear store. But, I like Harbor Freight too.
And the "crappy" store brand stuff works well for what you pay. My first set of Bilt gloves lasted for 60k miles. Am on my second set now. Bilt leather jacket is now a year old and looks/feels better than the custom one I had a few years ago.
Revzilla. Am sorry to see it go but I agree it was the right time to sell.
Amazon. The Walmart of the internet. I never shop through them. I will go directly to an mfg rather than buy from them. I do see why they succeed. People will shop for price. Get it for 10 cents less at Amazon!
Yep, like in the movie, pretty soon there will be only one restaurant and one retailer.
-
I think I bought from Revzilla once. Good vendor, no problems but my go to place is Motorcyclegear (former New Enough). Best prices and service by a long way. A few times they sent two of an item, different sizes and it only cost the nominal shipping to return the one that didn't fit. Try that on Amazon.
Pete
-
Yep, like in the movie, pretty soon there will be only one restaurant and one retailer.
All restaurants are Taco Bell now...
-
Get it for 10 cents less at Amazon!
Not always. :smiley: Amazon offers convenience more than anything. Pretty easy to "one click", and it's on your doorstep in 2 days. Last week, Dorcia was looking at getting an led upgrade kit for her mag light, and said, Prime, $16 and change? I told her no, and bought it off an ebay seller for $9, delivered in about 4 days instead of 2. Same thing, though.
-
I've used Revzilla several times. All with excellent results. Sad to see them go. Hopefully Cycle Gear will maintain the same level of service/selection. Their customer service was the best I've ever seen. I also use Amazon. My nearest M/C dealer is 65 miles away so I have no guilt using online merchants.
-
I think I bought from Revzilla once. Good vendor, no problems but my go to place is Motorcyclegear (former New Enough). Best prices and service by a long way. A few times they sent two of an item, different sizes and it only cost the nominal shipping to return the one that didn't fit. Try that on Amazon.
Pete
Amazon does not charge return shipping. You simply print a UPS return label and they pick it up the next day, costs you nothing.
Returning items is simple and no hassle. I bought Alpine stars boots and they didn't fit right, return was free and painless, UPS shows up and takes the box, the same day as they delivered the new pair.
I've bought things and then long after the return period expired, simply asked via chat and still returned them.
Like any store and it doesn't matter which one it is, you buy what you know and have researched. If you are haphazard in your selections that is your own fault.
I am not trying to compare Amazon to Revzilla. My point was that Amazon will get into Revzillas space or better said, CGs space sine Revzilla sold out.
The owners of Revzilla saw the writing on the wall. It doesn't happen overnight but it happens.
As for Walmart, CG is just that if anything ever was. A few of their items are good but a lot of it is second and third rate.
-
I just placed an order for a Arai visor; it is $20 more at CG
-
I found the Revzilla reviews very useful when making decisions about what gear to buy. I'll miss that.
Rich A
-
I found the Revzilla reviews very useful when making decisions about what gear to buy. I'll miss that.
The best part was the reviews, next was the videos. They would go through the entire product to show it's features. Very helpful when buying a jacket or something similar.
-
The best part was the reviews, next was the videos. They would go through the entire product to show it's features. Very helpful when buying a jacket or something similar.
Especially the Fit. Some of us need a little more room around the middle :laugh:
And to think I used to have my first wife take in all my shirts because they had way to much room at the belly.
Mark
-
Maybe, Cycle Gear will step up on their side and become more of a Revzilla, more choices along with the store brand.
I really liked the reviews and videos, that was a good marketing tool.
kjf
-
How many Amazon resellers (other than RevZilla) offer instant returns, let you print out a convenient prepaid UPS label, and let you do this routine repeatedly until you're satisfied?
I can't say that motorcyclegear.com (formerly newenough.com) does it exactly the same way, but I've been very happy with their inventory, size recommendations and reviews, and customer service. They also have a used gear section that sometimes has really good deals.
-
With any outlet you have to be a careful shopper.
Every product you buy as Prime adheres to Amazon's return policy.
Who sells there direct? Sena. Heard of them? Kabuto helmets. Plenty of others.
Point is that there is a reason why Revzilla sold to CG and it wasn't because CG was hurting Revzilla. It could be that the owners wanted to cash out but given the obvious revenue from Revzilla it isn't like they needed the money.
Smart business owners look forward and IMHO ( which is all any if this is) they saw increasing competition and the likely result that as more and more shops open on Amazon that they'd feel increased pressure and going forward more competition.
Now here is one thing Revzilla could really offer no matter how good they might be, buy online and pick up in store or even exchange at store.
This is a huge place Amazon is going. Your local motorcycle retailer can open up shop on Amazon, you order via the web and go there to pick up or return if it gets shipped. Why order online from a local company? Because often the local company might not have it in stock that day but does the next day. So you could order online from your local store on Monday and pick IP on Tuesday, at the local store and try it before accepting it.
Revzilla can't match that and neither can CG because CG isn't local to many towns but your local bike shop is.
That isn't a reality yet but it is more so every day. That let's local motorcycle shops reach their local customers online, still get one on one face time and then also get you to go into their showrooms to see those new bikes.
Revzilla can't get there and neither can CG. They simply don't have the means to do it.
-
Don't be so sure. Revzilla faced huge and growing competition from Amazon, people would visit Revzilla but buy elsewhere. CG hopes to leverage the Revzilla name online but Amazon is slowly taking that away.
Revzilla is my favorite go-to site for motorcycle gear.
When I browse there, I buy there. It helps, of course, that they are 1-2 days ground shipping from me, and that they offer free ground shipping for any order over $50.
I've been very happy with their customer service.
That said, the Cycle Gear store here in Harrisburg is pretty good.
I've also been happy with their customer service.
The "lifetime guarantee" on their store brands is good. They stand behind their products pretty well. I have a pair of their "Bilt" store-brand boots that after putting a lot of miles on them, they replaced them for free, because a seem started coming undone. They did this even though they were clearly very worn. The soles were quite worn. They replaced a pair of Bilt winter gloves because the velcro stopped sticking.
Too bad I stopped using those gloves, because I found another pair that work much better. They're "Strength & Steal" brand (I think another Cycle Gear store brand). They're much less bulky, but, still insulate very well.
-
I guess I'm the opposite of the modern consumer: I used the Revzilla reviews, videos etc to do my research, then I go to my local motorcycle dealer to actually purchase the product. Costs a little more but actually the best of both worlds for me: the broadest information + personal service.
-
All of you experts on how business works are wrong . The correct answer is ...
Blue
Dusty
-
The RevZilla return policy is exactly that, not an exchange policy. You get your purchase price refunded regardless of whether you buy a replacement. This speeds things up considerably, since you can order the different size and get it fast, before RevZilla even receives the one you sent back. For that matter (although I've never tried this), you can order several sizes at once, and return all but the one that fits, saving multiple return shipping costs. How many Amazon resellers will do this? Will Cycle Gear do it? Furthermore, RevZilla has a price-matching policy, and I've found that they do honor it.
I've done just that with them :thumb:
-
For that matter (although I've never tried this), you can order several sizes at once, and return all but the one that fits, saving multiple return shipping costs.
On their web site they specifically ask you not to do this. They ask that you take advantage of their advice on size before purchasing.
-
I generally prefer using Motorcycle Superstore over Revzilla. MS has been very accommodating and helpful for me. I've found the Zilla guys a bit more testy and MUCH tighter with their refunds and returns.
-
I've never met the guy, but based on his demos and some interviews he's given, I would guess that the real reason why RevZilla sold itself to Cycle Gear is that the guy who runs the show, Anthony Bucci, got bored and wanted to move on to something else. He seems to have worked 24 hours a day every day for the past 10 years making sure that RevZilla did everything right, and that must be exhausting and ultimately boring. I look forward to seeing what he tackles next. Think a hunkier version of Steve Jobs minus the sadism.
-
All of you experts on how business works are wrong . The correct answer is ...
Blue
Dusty
Oh brother, :rolleyes:
-
Oh brother, :rolleyes:
What , you can't see that is the obvious answer ? Sorry , my emos have gone on vacation again , picture a laughing face here .
Seriously , we are having a Green Acres moment on WG , so "blue" is as good an answer as any .
Dusty
-
Green, red, purple and pink will be along shortly with the board, black sheets, candles and dingle balls, wait for it...
-
What , you can't see that is the obvious answer ? Sorry , my emos have gone on vacation again , picture a laughing face here .
Seriously , we are having a Green Acres moment on WG , so "blue" is as good an answer as any .
Dusty
Green acres moment? A little Ava Gabor would liven things up around here. And some humor would be nice instead of trying hard to pee in each other's cornflakes all the time.
-
Green acres moment? A little Ava Gabor would liven things up around here. And some humor would be nice instead of trying hard to pee in each other's cornflakes all the time.
Oliver , "the next time we have a picnic , bring some food"
Lisa , "well , if your hungry , I turn on the radio"
Oliver , "what good will that do"
Lisa "maybe you will hear something good to eat"
Dusty
-
And some humor would be nice instead of trying hard to pee in each other's cornflakes all the time.
Here! Here!
-
Revzilla can't offer manufacturer to customer direct sales, Amazon can, letting manufacturers set up their own shops right on Amazon and then they just fulfill for them. When you buy, the buy is factory direct Amazon just ships but also requires factories adhere to standard return policies.
Well, 2 weeks ago I purchased some Woodcraft clip-ons from Revzilla, as they were cheaper than going direct, and I got some zilla bucks in return. The clip-ons were shipped directly from Woodcraft in this instance. I don't think they do that with many vendors, but it did happen with Woodcraft.
I could have purchased the clip-ons from Amazon, but estimated delivery was 4-10 days out, and I received the Revzilla Woodcraft order in 3 days.
Unfortunately, we're now at that point when we demand everything within one or two days, if not the same day. Remember back in the day when everything was actually mail order? You had to fill out a form, mail in a check with a postage stamp, wait for the check to clear, and you received your order in 3-4 weeks if you were lucky? Those were the good old days...
Ken
P.S. Revzilla has been a pioneer in internet sales. Videos on everything, all specs listed, reviews by many riders, and typically same day shipping. This will be a tough act for CG to follow.
-
Well, they're not going to pay $400-500M just to throw away their recipe for success.
So we'll have to see how this develops.
But the CG'sv around here generally are pretty crappy and mostly stock their lousy house brand stuff.
Failed corporate takeovers, buyouts and/or mergers are far more common than successes. Arbys/Wendys, Sears/Kmart, Bank of America/Countrywide, eBay/Skype, AOL/Time, Quaker/Snapple, Yahoo/Tumblr to name a few. The $400M quoted is chump change int the M&A space and does not guarantee that the number crunchers will not screw it up by trying to re-coup their investment sooner rather than later by cost cutting.
-
Failed corporate takeovers, buyouts and/or mergers are far more common than successes. Arbys/Wendys, Sears/Kmart, Bank of America/Countrywide, eBay/Skype, AOL/Time, Quaker/Snapple, Yahoo/Tumblr to name a few. The $400M quoted is chump change int the M&A space and does not guarantee that the number crunchers will not screw it up by trying to re-coup their investment sooner rather than later by cost cutting.
I didn't predict/guarantee success, but the very title of this thread (and stance of many posts in it) seems to assume failure.
My point is that we'll see.
-
I've never met the guy, but based on his demos and some interviews he's given, I would guess that the real reason why RevZilla sold itself to Cycle Gear is that the guy who runs the show, Anthony Bucci, got bored and wanted to move on to something else. He seems to have worked 24 hours a day every day for the past 10 years making sure that RevZilla did everything right, and that must be exhausting and ultimately boring.
This. I know several 'serial' entrepreneurs. They're all wealthy by most standards, some are wealthy beyond imagination. When I ask why they get out of a successful enterprise they've started, only to move on to the next, it's never about the money. They all have enough to live in high style for the rest of their lives. They're burned out, bored, need a short period of R&R, time to refresh, then they move on to the next great thing. 10 years doing the same thing, growing a successful business, is a very long time to a creative person. And that's what these people are, creative.
-
Cycle Gear already has an on-line presence so they are buying a name and a site that does what they do already. They do get subscribers but those are a fickle group of people who can and probably do shop multiple stores anyway. What CG didn't get was the creativity, personality, drive and presence of Revzilla s owners unless they will continue to be the face of Revzilla which might defeat the purpose of selling it.
With 400-500 million CG could have pumped that into their own on-line store since it is completely integrated into CGs presence already. A lot of people really like CG although I find they have a few good lines and the rest are trinkety, especially their hardware/non-clothing stuff.
Will existing Revzilla customers stay or switch to another on-line store they already use as well? Will the lack of the front man at Revzilla affect retention?
Revzilla attracted customers because of the personal attention by the owners. They aren't there anymore. That makes Revzilla just a website name and some policies that can be duplicated and is now more CG than Revzilla.
The younger crowd buyers aren't nearly as loyal as more mature riders. That's known in the online industry already, younger people will switch to the next thing very fast.
Can CG keep it up and successful? Time will tell.
-
All restaurants are Taco Bell now...
That's funny, I liked Demolition man.
-
I didn't predict/guarantee success, but the very title of this thread (and stance of many posts in it) seems to assume failure.
My point is that we'll see.
No you did not predict success or failure, but you did make the assertion that since they spent $3-400M they will probably not change the formula. Sad to say, there are more examples of the exact happening then not. New management comes in and thinks they can do it better, cheaper, or their corporate culture clashes with the current culture and productivity rapidly declines. Clearly this is a leveraged buyout for MG surely did not have $300-400M in cash, so the pressure to cut costs is always paramount in these deals, simply to service the debt and that is why so many of these M&As fail. I personally bought a few items from Revzilla and like their business model a lot. Only time will tell whether this acquisition will pay off, not only for MG but for the consumer who supported Revzilla.
-
Revzilla is not being acquired by Cycle Gear.
http://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/letter-to-customers-revzilla-cycle-gear-partnership (http://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/letter-to-customers-revzilla-cycle-gear-partnership)
https://www.revzilla.com/open-letter-to-customers-revzilla-cycle-gear-faq (https://www.revzilla.com/open-letter-to-customers-revzilla-cycle-gear-faq)
I love Revzilla and will continue to buy from them, as long as they keep offering what's valuable to me: tons of information / comparisons / reviews, free shipping, no sales tax, a generous return policy, and 5% toward future purchases.
Tom
-
Revzilla is not being acquired by Cycle Gear.
http://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/letter-to-customers-revzilla-cycle-gear-partnership (http://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/letter-to-customers-revzilla-cycle-gear-partnership)
https://www.revzilla.com/open-letter-to-customers-revzilla-cycle-gear-faq (https://www.revzilla.com/open-letter-to-customers-revzilla-cycle-gear-faq)
Now that makes much more sense. Revzilla acquires CG which gives them instant access to over 100 brick & mortar stores, which Anthony states is one of their goals. It will still be a challenge to succeed, but only time will tell. I would suspect one of the first things they will do is close a large percentage of the stores , those which are marginal. The one near me never has more than one or two shoppers.
-
Happy birhtday! That is good news as I really like Revzilla and have actually found my local CG store (Lynnwood, WA) to be a decent place to shop for gear.
:grin:
-
I have just acquired: Revzilla, Cycle Gear, Amazon, and Ali Baba!!!!
I will issue new price lists tomorrow!
-
Now that was good news. Can still buy from Revzilla!
-
Something I would love to see, would be order on Revzilla pick up at your local Cycle Gear, it would work great for gear and tires. Hopefully this partnership will bring something like this about.
Our local cycle gear only stocks Bilt/Sedeci house brands or upper tier stuff like Dianese/Shoei/Arai. They don't stock much in the middle anymore like FirstGear or Tourmaster.
Hopefully this partnership will bring Cycle Gear up and not Revzilla down.