Wildguzzi.com

General Category => General Discussion => Topic started by: Luap McKeever on February 08, 2016, 06:47:18 PM

Title: Looking to get new gear. Input please.
Post by: Luap McKeever on February 08, 2016, 06:47:18 PM
I've been using the same tourmaster tops and bottoms for several years.  They've all seen better days.  Yet, my Chippawa boots are still strong as ever.

I'm looking to get a good one piece suit.  Something with armor.  Something that can be used in all weather (maybe zip out liners, etc).  Cold, rain, hot, etc.  Keep in mind that I am not a millionaire  :grin:.

What do you have and/or recommend and why?  I did several searches, but most of the topics were a little dated, so I'm sure that there's something new and improved out there today.

Thanks for any input,
Luap
Title: Re: Looking to get new gear. Input please.
Post by: oldbike54 on February 08, 2016, 06:53:26 PM
 Wait ... not a millionaire , surely the CEO of a giant multinational concern like Wild Guzzi must be worth tens of dollars ...

 Oh , I bet most folks say Aerostich .

 Dusty

 PS Now when is the corporate retreat in Maui ?
Title: Re: Looking to get new gear. Input please.
Post by: Triple Jim on February 08, 2016, 06:55:36 PM
I bought a Joe Rocket Survivor a couple years ago and it has all the features you mentioned.  The only complaint I have is the main front zipper is not a douple-pull type, so for a "rest stop" you have to unzip it all the way down.  Everything else about it is great... waterproof, warm, removable insulated liner, good visibility if you get the non-all-black one, and comfortable.  Price is in the mid $300 area.
Title: Re: Looking to get new gear. Input please.
Post by: pyoungbl on February 08, 2016, 07:03:30 PM
Aerostich.   Not inexpensive but might be the last suit you ever buy.  My last one was 13 years old and I only gave it to my nephew because it was no longer waterproof.  He'll never ride in the rain.  Otherwise it was near perfect.

Peter Y.
Title: Re: Looking to get new gear. Input please.
Post by: Luap McKeever on February 08, 2016, 07:06:17 PM
Wait ... not a millionaire , surely the CEO of a giant multinational concern like Wild Guzzi must be worth tens of dollars ...

 Oh , I bet most folks say Aerostich .

 Dusty

 PS Now when is the corporate retreat in Maui ?

 :laugh:  I was until I put it all into Enron stock.  Lost it all.  Now, I net about $350 per year.  So, we'll just have to settle for a Corporate retreat to Pea Ridge, AR, because I'm budgeting $300 for a new riding suit and that leave me with $35 after I fill up the Stelvio  :grin:

I bought a Joe Rocket Survivor a couple years ago and it has all the features you mentioned.  The only complaint I have is the main front zipper is not a douple-pull type, so for a "rest stop" you have to unzip it all the way down.  Everything else about it is great... waterproof, warm, removable insulated liner, good visibility if you get the non-all-black one, and comfortable.  Price is in the mid $300 area.

Ooh, now we're talking.  I'll definitely look into them.  Thanks Jim.

Aerostich.   Not inexpensive but might be the last suit you ever buy.  My last one was 13 years old and I only gave it to my nephew because it was no longer waterproof.  He'll never ride in the rain.  Otherwise it was near perfect.

Peter Y.

I probably won't be able to swing that.  I would like to though.
Title: Re: Looking to get new gear. Input please.
Post by: Scud on February 08, 2016, 07:07:13 PM
I know you said one-piece, but some two-piece suits perform well. I'm also looking, as my piece Hein Gericke (which has kept me dry in some serious rain) is showing wear.

I have not yet made the plunge, but have been eyeing (and even trying on) the Dainese D-Explorer, which has all the features you're looking for - except you would need Jacket and Pants.

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/dainese-d-explorer-gore-tex-jacket

BTW - the Dainese store in Costa Mesa, CA is fantastic. I recently bought some stuff there - the staff I talked with were all motorcyclists, not just people working retail, if you know what I mean. And they're prices are as good or better than internet (if you ask).

The jacket and pants combined will set you back less than one million dollars.
Title: Re: Looking to get new gear. Input please.
Post by: Guzzistajohn on February 08, 2016, 07:12:05 PM
I jacked around with all kinds of lesser brands of two piece suits for years, and wore them out slick. They were OK, but when I saw Prescott (smithswede) in that Aerostich suit at the okie campout, I knew what I had to do. He rode up in a rainstorm that would choke a bullfrog and he still had dry gold bond powder on under his t shirt. Needless to say, I was impressed! I was a little concerned about the heat in the summertime here in the Ozarks, but with the vents open and some shorts on underneath, it's really not bad. All the storage is really nice too. I got the waterproof boot covers too and they do a nice job. It does give a nice sense of security with all the protection, and the weird looks you get in public places make it all worth while! I'll be starting my 3rd season with it this year I need some more bugs on it!
Title: Re: Looking to get new gear. Input please.
Post by: Luap McKeever on February 08, 2016, 07:14:12 PM
I jacked around with all kinds of lesser brands of two piece suits for years, and wore them out slick. They were OK, but when I saw Prescott (smithswede) in that Aerostich suit at the okie campout, I knew what I had to do. He rode up in a rainstorm that would choke a bullfrog and he still had dry gold bond powder on under his t shirt. Needless to say, I was impressed! I was a little concerned about the heat in the summertime here in the Ozarks, but with the vents open and some shorts on underneath, it's really not bad. All the storage is really nice too. I got the waterproof boot covers too and they do a nice job. It does give a nice sense of security with all the protection, and the weird looks you get in public places make it all worth while! I'll be starting my 3rd season with it this year I need some more bugs on it!

Ughhhh.  You guys are gonna make me have to take out a loan...

I know you said one-piece, but some two-piece suits perform well. I'm also looking, as my piece Hein Gericke (which has kept me dry in some serious rain) is showing wear.

I have not yet made the plunge, but have been eyeing (and even trying on) the Dainese D-Explorer, which has all the features you're looking for - except you would need Jacket and Pants.

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/dainese-d-explorer-gore-tex-jacket

BTW - the Dainese store in Costa Mesa, CA is fantastic. I recently bought some stuff there - the staff I talked with were all motorcyclists, not just people working retail, if you know what I mean. And they're prices are as good or better than internet (if you ask).

The jacket and pants combined will set you back less than one million dollars.

Thanks.  I'll add that to my list to check out too.  I really like the idea of one piece though.  I've been 2 piecing it forever.
Title: Re: Looking to get new gear. Input please.
Post by: Luap McKeever on February 08, 2016, 07:18:08 PM
This one would be perfect if I could pull the liner out...
http://www.revzilla.com/product/firstgear-thermo-1-piece-suit
Title: Re: Looking to get new gear. Input please.
Post by: Guzzistajohn on February 08, 2016, 07:19:23 PM
Ughhhh.  You guys are gonna make me have to take out a loan...

Thanks.  I'll add that to my list to check out too.  I really like the idea of one piece though.  I've been 2 piecing it forever.

I bet I wore out 4 different two piece outfits and was never really happy with the fit. The 'stitch is perfect, nothing flapping in the breeze, ever.
Title: Re: Looking to get new gear. Input please.
Post by: oldbike54 on February 08, 2016, 07:22:31 PM
 I second the Joe Rocket idea .

 Now , we are gonna have to have a talk about this corporate retreat thing . At least we can have it at Withrow state park , I'll bring my own tent .

 Dusty
Title: Re: Looking to get new gear. Input please.
Post by: SmithSwede on February 08, 2016, 07:27:59 PM
Don't let my recent zipper experience give you the wrong impression.  I'm totally sold on the Aerostich stuff.    I kick myself for not getting this kind of gear years ago.

The best thing about it is that it's waterproof.   So you just put it on and ride.   No more guessing about the weather, no more stopping and starting to mess with rain gear.   Just put on the suit and go ride.  If it rains, you will stay dry.

and yes, they look like they would be too hot in the summer.  But when you open the vents, they turn into a big old bag of flowing air.   Works great.   

They are hot when you are stuck in stop and go traffic, but then, everything is hot under those conditions. 
Title: Re: Looking to get new gear. Input please.
Post by: fotoguzzi on February 08, 2016, 07:30:03 PM
please watch my Roadcrafter video.. only had 586 views in 6 years..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YytH5xNOID0

another one from 2010, I love to live in my RC days or weeks on end..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tvRKb2yS70
Title: Re: Looking to get new gear. Input please.
Post by: Guzzistajohn on February 08, 2016, 07:30:41 PM
I don't know why WG can't buy a nice cabin up on Table Rock Lake for us to stay in, the poor side near Shell Knob would be OK. It would be close enough to the corporate offices and Luap could have us ALL measured for our free custom WG Aerostich suit. That'll be OK won't it Luap? Think of the group photo :laugh:
Title: Re: Looking to get new gear. Input please.
Post by: Luap McKeever on February 08, 2016, 07:31:21 PM
I bet I wore out 4 different two piece outfits and was never really happy with the fit. The 'stitch is perfect, nothing flapping in the breeze, ever.

I've secretly wanted a 'stitch for a long time.  Just hard for me to swallow that pill, hehe.

I second the Joe Rocket idea .

 Now , we are gonna have to have a talk about this corporate retreat thing . At least we can have it at Withrow state park , I'll bring my own tent .

 Dusty

Looking at the Rockets for sure.  Not sure about a retreat though...don't think I've ever had one of those :-)
Title: Re: Looking to get new gear. Input please.
Post by: John A on February 08, 2016, 07:32:32 PM
I had an Aerostitch, sent it back to the factory every year for inspection and repair. All went well but after about five years they said it was no longer economical to fix. Normal wear, so it's not the last gear you'll have to buy. I still use it but its getting purty ratty.
Title: Re: Looking to get new gear. Input please.
Post by: Adk.IBO on February 08, 2016, 07:32:42 PM
I bought my Aerostitch very slightly used for $200 and sent it to Aerostitch for some alterations. Another $150 or so with shipping and it's all I've worn for 3 years now. It took some diligent internet searching but they are out there and worth it!

Stay safe, John
Title: Re: Looking to get new gear. Input please.
Post by: Noguzznoglory on February 08, 2016, 07:43:23 PM
Motorcyclegear.com is closing out all the first gear  TPG one piece suits for 299.00. Originally 699.00.
Supposed to be waterproof. MCN did a comparison couple of years ago and liked it. I have limited experience with the one I got for Christmas so can't give much feedback

Title: Re: Looking to get new gear. Input please.
Post by: calfruit on February 08, 2016, 07:55:37 PM
I bought the one piece aerostich at age 40, it was a15 second entry. Still wearing it today at age 65 and it is a 3 minute entry. It is the first thing that I would replace, of all of my moto gear. The next one will be a two piece--- for the ease of entry and the ability to remove the jacket and walk into a cafe wearing the pants.  They wear like iron  and with the new waterproofing products (rustoleum)  they remain waterproof into their senior years
Title: Re: Looking to get new gear. Input please.
Post by: fotoguzzi on February 08, 2016, 07:56:56 PM
1 more
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpeyNJD9P44
Title: Re: Looking to get new gear. Input please.
Post by: Luap McKeever on February 08, 2016, 08:00:06 PM
I don't know why WG can't buy a nice cabin up on Table Rock Lake for us to stay in, the poor side near Shell Knob would be OK. It would be close enough to the corporate offices and Luap could have us ALL measured for our free custom WG Aerostich suit. That'll be OK won't it Luap? Think of the group photo :laugh:

That would be awesome.
Title: Re: Looking to get new gear. Input please.
Post by: Luap McKeever on February 08, 2016, 08:00:53 PM
Motorcyclegear.com is closing out all the first gear  TPG one piece suits for 299.00. Originally 699.00.
Supposed to be waterproof. MCN did a comparison couple of years ago and liked it. I have limited experience with the one I got for Christmas so can't give much feedback

I'll look into that for sure.
Title: Re: Looking to get new gear. Input please.
Post by: kirby1923 on February 08, 2016, 08:15:32 PM
Aerostich for sure, worth it. I have one suit that is over 20 years old and is still very sound although shows the scars of age (like me).
If it becomes damaged they can rebuild it.
If it becomes not water proof you can pull the armor out throw in the washing machine with a bottle of a wax substance (cheap) sold by Aerostich and it will once again water proof.

I used to ride with leather and even still have the Vanson jacket I bought over 35 years ago, a few scars but still good. Some occasions that the leather is appropriate

Fabric suits are better for  touring and in fact I do not carry a rain suit when going Aerostich.
I like Sidi boots, light and water proof + good fit.
 If your going to ride allot more, should make the investment, I have never regretted it.

mike
Title: Re: Looking to get new gear. Input please.
Post by: K250 on February 08, 2016, 08:20:05 PM
Luap, I'll be an Aerostich endorser also......     That being said, if you don't want to spend that much, buy your one piece somewhere you can return it if you don't like it.

I bought a Fieldsheer Highland one piece a few years ago and did not like it at all.

Motorcyclegear and their Firstgear TPG leftovers might be worth a try.  Have never seen one in real life so who knows...

http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street/closeouts/textile_jackets_and_pants/first_gear/tpg_expedition_suit_2014.html
Title: Re: Looking to get new gear. Input please.
Post by: Jim Rich on February 08, 2016, 08:48:23 PM
Luap,
I wear an Aerostich Darien Jacket and sometimes the pants for 3 seasons.  Very nice jacket with lots of storage, protection and ventilation when you need it.   But when the summer heat arrives I start wearing a mesh jacket, the Darien is warm in the heat.  But I still use it if I am taking a long tour type ride for days at a time.  My friends that wear the Aerostich Roadcrafter one piece suits tell me it gets a little too warm if the temps are over 80. 
Title: Re: Looking to get new gear. Input please.
Post by: Tinkerfreak on February 08, 2016, 08:48:48 PM
Friend picked up one of these 2 years ago and really loves it. My only issue with the Olympia brand, from my experience is the neck closure velcro has a very short life span.

http://olympiamotosports.com/product/mens-odyssey-one-piece-suit/

have to admit it is a nice looking suit and he claims it works well in hot and cold weather. Unfortunately he is a fair weather rider so I can not comment on the weatherproofness

Cheers
Title: Re: Looking to get new gear. Input please.
Post by: John Ulrich on February 08, 2016, 09:09:30 PM
I broke down and ordered the new one piece Roadcrafter R-3 unlined.  3 month wait... this one is the most popular seller. 
Now being retired and looking for an all weather suit to ride to rallies ...why not!   :thumb:
Title: Re: Looking to get new gear. Input please.
Post by: kingoffleece on February 08, 2016, 09:12:50 PM
I got a fantastic deal on a slightly used Areostitch R3 of the ADV Rider site.  When I opened the box up it looked like it had never been worn.  500 bucks got me all the armor and the boot covers!

They come up for sale often.  I knew my size from the chart and jumped when it became available.  No regrets at all.
Title: Re: Looking to get new gear. Input please.
Post by: Markcarovilli on February 08, 2016, 09:17:04 PM
Friend picked up one of these 2 years ago and really loves it. My only issue with the Olympia brand, from my experience is the neck closure velcro has a very short life span.

http://olympiamotosports.com/product/mens-odyssey-one-piece-suit/

have to admit it is a nice looking suit and he claims it works well in hot and cold weather. Unfortunately he is a fair weather rider so I can not comment on the weatherproofness

Cheers

 :1:

You can find these priced well thru dealers....

Mark
Title: Re: Looking to get new gear. Input please.
Post by: rob-mg on February 08, 2016, 09:28:58 PM
I've been using the same tourmaster tops and bottoms for several years.  They've all seen better days.  Yet, my Chippawa boots are still strong as ever.

I'm looking to get a good one piece suit.  Something with armor.  Something that can be used in all weather (maybe zip out liners, etc).  Cold, rain, hot, etc.  Keep in mind that I am not a millionaire  :grin:.

What do you have and/or recommend and why?  I did several searches, but most of the topics were a little dated, so I'm sure that there's something new and improved out there today.

Thanks for any input,
Luap

There's no way that I'd wear a one piece suit throughout the conditions you're talking about.

But I know what the centre piece would be, and for me it's a Vanson competition weight perforated jacket.

I also wear Vanson competition weight trousers, although I'll admit that I'm sometimes tempted to omit them.

I've been down on this gear twice, both times without a scratch. Can't speak highly enough about it.

And yes, it takes armour, both soft and hard.

I believe that the money that I've spent on Vanson leathers is the best money that I've spent on owning a motorcycle.
Title: Re: Looking to get new gear. Input please.
Post by: Muzz on February 08, 2016, 10:49:38 PM
Luap, my gear is Neo. I have a two piece set up, the jacket being a Suzuka model, which is heavier than my wife's Imola model. Bought it when I got the Breva in early 2004. Made of Cordura, armoured and was waterproof for many years. Now I apply a coating every now and then which keeps it pretty watertight. Was very thankful for it when we hit a large oil slick and slid a very long way. Got a couple of holes in it but did it's job and still pretty good. Comes with a quilted inner for cold weather. Never used the trouser inner and don't usually bother with the jacket liner either.

Cost a few hundred $NZ at the time but have never regretted it.
Title: Re: Looking to get new gear. Input please.
Post by: Zoom Zoom on February 09, 2016, 05:22:26 AM
Aerostich.   Not inexpensive but might be the last suit you ever buy.  My last one was 13 years old and I only gave it to my nephew because it was no longer waterproof.  He'll never ride in the rain.  Otherwise it was near perfect.

Peter Y.

Just a side note Peter: It is pretty easy to retreat the material to be waterproof again. I have done it with success more than once, so I can repeat the results.

Luap, I see you would like the Stich but it is too expensive. If I added up what I spent on less expensive things trying to find what works, I could have bought the Stich in the first place and been money ahead, since that is eventually what I ended up with. (Just food for thought.)

John Henry
Title: Re: Looking to get new gear. Input please.
Post by: molly on February 09, 2016, 05:42:26 AM
I see Aerostich recommend Nikwax products to clean and waterproof their clothing. This product was invented in England years ago and is brilliant for reviving old waterproof clothing.

http://www.nikwax.co.uk/en-gb/
Title: Re: Looking to get new gear. Input please.
Post by: wyrtyr2 on February 09, 2016, 05:44:22 AM
Stitch for sure.  Their customer service is great, and the suit is a serviceable piece of riding equipment.  BTW, I have a men's 44 long and a women's 38 reg in Hi-Viz I would sell realistically and a 46 2pc Darien also- blue black pants.  I have been a AeroStitch rider since 1989.  I live 70 miles from their factory/showroom, and know Andy personally.
Title: Re: Looking to get new gear. Input please.
Post by: Kev m on February 09, 2016, 05:47:49 AM
Luap,
I wear an Aerostich Darien Jacket and sometimes the pants for 3 seasons.  Very nice jacket with lots of storage, protection and ventilation when you need it.   But when the summer heat arrives I start wearing a mesh jacket, the Darien is warm in the heat.  But I still use it if I am taking a long tour type ride for days at a time.  My friends that wear the Aerostich Roadcrafter one piece suits tell me it gets a little too warm if the temps are over 80.

This and maybe John H's posts are closest to me.

I started wearing Stich in the 90's. Wound up with 2 Darien jackets for years and finally sold the first one to a board member here a few years ago. I still wear the other and the pants when weather is appropriate (cold and/or wet).

I've had 2 smaller offs in them without a scratch on me and barely one on the Stich. I've arrived at rallies in day long pouring rain as dry as possible. I've slept in it.

I did start wearing a mesh jacket in the summer some years ago as it is definitely more comfortable in temps 80°+F But I've also be drowned like a river rat a few times that I chose the mesh and didn't also bring the Stich along.

I see people who are happy with less expensive gear from competitors, but I always wonder if they are as good or would hold up as well and as long.

I may go buy a second Darien (the Light) this year if I can justify it.

I've never tried the ice in the pockets trick in the summer, but maybe I should.

I would probably consider the 1 piece Roadcrafter if I commutted or toured more. But you can't beat the Darien for flexibility.

And the FWIW, I do occasionally hear reports of people in 1-piece suits (Stich or other brands) complain about zipper leaks at the crotch. One nice advantage about the Darien is the 3/4 length jacket provides extra crotch protection acting like a train flap over whatever riding pants you've chosen.

YMMV, but I'm glad I chose Stich all those years ago.
Title: Re: Looking to get new gear. Input please.
Post by: twhitaker on February 09, 2016, 06:16:18 AM
This one would be perfect if I could pull the liner out...
http://www.revzilla.com/product/firstgear-thermo-1-piece-suit

That's what I use from October through April. It has no armor though.
Title: Re: Looking to get new gear. Input please.
Post by: wrbix on February 09, 2016, 09:05:41 AM
I'm a big proponent of 'stich two-pieces. Ride in summer w perfed leather Vanson britches and the 'stich top. Both in cooler weather.

Watch eBay - barely used units come up for sale frequently - they wash easily.
Title: Re: Looking to get new gear. Input please.
Post by: tiger_one on February 09, 2016, 10:16:33 AM
A friend just ordered one of these.  $699 on sale for $299.

http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street/closeouts/textile_jackets_and_pants/first_gear/tpg_expedition_suit_2014.html (http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street/closeouts/textile_jackets_and_pants/first_gear/tpg_expedition_suit_2014.html)
Title: Re: Looking to get new gear. Input please.
Post by: Cool Runnings on February 09, 2016, 11:38:54 AM
I bought a Joe Rocket Survivor a couple years ago and it has all the features you mentioned.  The only complaint I have is the main front zipper is not a douple-pull type, so for a "rest stop" you have to unzip it all the way down.  Everything else about it is great... waterproof, warm, removable insulated liner, good visibility if you get the non-all-black one, and comfortable.  Price is in the mid $300 area.

Been looking for a one piece waterproof suit!

Thanks, Joe Rocket Survivor looks like the ticket. NO, I'm not going to spend over 1k for a stich!  :boozing:
Title: Re: Looking to get new gear. Input please.
Post by: Cool Runnings on February 09, 2016, 11:46:15 AM
Motorcyclegear.com is closing out all the first gear  TPG one piece suits for 299.00. Originally 699.00.
Supposed to be waterproof. MCN did a comparison couple of years ago and liked it. I have limited experience with the one I got for Christmas so can't give much feedback

Thanks, may spring for the TPG!
Title: Re: Looking to get new gear. Input please.
Post by: Cool Runnings on February 09, 2016, 11:56:19 AM
Stitch for sure.  Their customer service is great, and the suit is a serviceable piece of riding equipment.  BTW, I have a men's 44 long and a women's 38 reg in Hi-Viz I would sell realistically and a 46 2pc Darien also- blue black pants.  I have been a AeroStitch rider since 1989.  I live 70 miles from their factory/showroom, and know Andy personally.

PM sent!  :thumb:
Title: Re: Looking to get new gear. Input please.
Post by: kingoffleece on February 09, 2016, 12:21:24 PM
A 'Stitch just sold for 350 over on ADV rider.  There are several for sale.
Title: Re: Looking to get new gear. Input please.
Post by: lost on February 09, 2016, 12:33:50 PM
I was looking a the one piece at[ jacksonracingcomau] which was about $ 460.00 plus freight from AU. Looks great but a long way to go to change size if it's off. It looks really easy for old farts to get on and off. Most of the suits make me look like a turtle on it's back when trying to put the pants on. Would love to see one in the flesh. They have some videos that make it look really nice. I may have my brother pick one up for me the next time he is in AU.
Title: Re: Looking to get new gear. Input please.
Post by: Cool Runnings on February 09, 2016, 12:35:07 PM
A 'Stitch just sold for 350 over on ADV rider.  There are several for sale.

Link? Size 44L  :boozing:
Title: Re: Looking to get new gear. Input please.
Post by: Cool Runnings on February 09, 2016, 12:37:30 PM
I was looking a the one piece at[ jacksonracingcomau] which was about $ 460.00 plus freight from AU. Looks great but a long way to go to change size if it's off. It looks really easy for old farts to get on and off. Most of the suits make me look like a turtle on it's back when trying to put the pants on. Would love to see one in the flesh. They have some videos that make it look really nice. I may have my brother pick one up for me the next time he is in AU.

lol - got a size 50 euro full leathers (15 years old), they must have shrunk hanging in the closet!  :boozing:
Title: Re: Looking to get new gear. Input please.
Post by: Gliderjohn on February 09, 2016, 12:41:48 PM
The march 2016 Rider mag has a pretty positive review on a "Rev'It Cayenne pro" jacket and pants. But still over $900 for both.
GliderJohn
Title: Re: Looking to get new gear. Input please.
Post by: Cool Runnings on February 09, 2016, 12:48:54 PM
The march 2016 Rider mag has a pretty positive review on a "Rev'It Cayenne pro" jacket and pants. But still over $900 for both.
GliderJohn

dang, could do a nice trip for 1k.  :popcorn:
Title: Re: Looking to get new gear. Input please.
Post by: Rich A on February 09, 2016, 01:35:52 PM
I have a Klim jacket (not a real fancy one) and an Aerostitch Darien. I prefer the Klim--I think the details are a little nicer.

Rich A
Title: Re: Looking to get new gear. Input please.
Post by: MGrego on February 09, 2016, 02:03:33 PM
I got an Aerostich suit last year.  Thought about it and worried about it for several years before I finally pulled the trigger.  I had been riding for years previously with cheapo equipment.  My opinion thus far is that the Stich was expensive, but worth it, and I should have done it sooner.  Like my wife sometime says when I over-analyze things, "It's not a life decision".
Title: Re: Looking to get new gear. Input please.
Post by: sturgeon on February 09, 2016, 02:51:58 PM
Another possible angle to save a bit of money with Aerostich is to look for stuff they put on sale after it's been at one of their pop-up sales. I picked up a Transit suit a couple of years ago at significant savings. It looked like it had never even been out of its plastic bag. Dunno if they advertise those online; I picked mine up at the store.
Title: Re: Looking to get new gear. Input please.
Post by: kingoffleece on February 09, 2016, 06:26:21 PM
They go quick on ADV.

I looked at the Aerostitch size chart, knew what I needed, and then kept checking.  Took my a few weeks to find size I needed and color I could live with.
Title: Re: Looking to get new gear. Input please.
Post by: Luap McKeever on February 10, 2016, 04:28:54 PM
Not exactly a one piece, but I did just pick up an excellent condition Tourmaster Intake 2 from ebay for $9.  Not a whole lot to lose.  My current tourmaster jacket is dead anyway.

I'm also eyballing a tourmaster one piece...you never know.
Title: Re: Looking to get new gear. Input please.
Post by: oldbike54 on February 10, 2016, 04:38:57 PM
 9 bucks ????? Dayum

 Dusty
Title: Re: Looking to get new gear. Input please.
Post by: Luap McKeever on February 10, 2016, 04:40:39 PM
9 bucks ????? Dayum

 Dusty

That's what I thought too.  Hehe, get lucky every now and then.
Title: Re: Looking to get new gear. Input please.
Post by: rboe on February 10, 2016, 05:06:08 PM
Aerostitch is nice; I was in their shop last week looking at pants.

Local fellow Guzzi rider wore 'stich for years, now wears Klim. I think I have to agree with him, Klim has moved on and makes a better product but holy moly the prices! And they are made in China so you gotta wonder where the bucks are going.

Roadgear came to the Datil rally a coupe years ago; first outfit that had pants for my long legs (the main reason I go with two piece outfits as no one makes a one piece that I fit in, being mostly leg.....). But now Aerostich makes a pant that will fit, with better positioned armor so I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on their Darian Light pants. That said, the Roadgear pants and jacket have kept me dry in gully washers and all day rains, no complaints there. I'm on the second set of pants after I crashed the Griso and ruined the first pair. They worked well.

I'm jacket rich right now and tend to use a First Gear kilimanjaro jacket as it fits very nice and vents better than the Roadgear unit. Lighter fabrics though, I think the Roadgear would fare better in a get off. Both are very warm and waterproof.

If First Gear and Roadgear are any indications, very nice gear can be found for less than Klim or Aerostich prices. Performance may not match, but I bet approach 95% of the top shelf gear. I have Tour Master boots, while nice I use my Sidi's 90% of the time and have never had a good reason to look at their pants or jackets.
Title: Re: Looking to get new gear. Input please.
Post by: Triple Jim on February 10, 2016, 06:59:23 PM
Not exactly a one piece, but I did just pick up an excellent condition Tourmaster Intake 2 from ebay for $9.

Along those lines, my daughter just bought a pair of leather sport  type riding pants from Cycle Gear.  I found them on on closeout, list $219.99, now $39.97, and phoned her.  The catch is they're available only in XS.  Fortunately, according to the sizing chart, that's the size she needs.  Woo Hoo!
Title: Re: Looking to get new gear. Input please.
Post by: HardAspie on February 10, 2016, 07:42:03 PM
For what it may be worth, like that and ten dollars will buy me some sort of latte thingie, I will need new gear soon and an thinking:

Helmet: HJC CL 17 white. Had one for the scooter. DOT and Snell 2010 full face decently vented

Jacket: I would like perforated leather, possibly AGV

Vest: Moto Air airbag

Pants: a pair of perforated leather to go over my jeans

Boots: Carolina makes a nice engineer boot but I just saw an ad for Highway 21 that look like they have serious soles

Gloves and rain gear: undecided
Title: Re: Looking to get new gear. Input please.
Post by: HardAspie on February 10, 2016, 07:53:51 PM
Cheap is good!
Title: Re: Looking to get new gear. Input please.
Post by: Muzz on February 10, 2016, 08:14:59 PM
Cheap is good!

And free is better! :thumb: :grin:
Title: Re: Looking to get new gear. Input please.
Post by: HardAspie on February 10, 2016, 08:37:01 PM
Aye, free is better!
Title: Re: Looking to get new gear. Input please.
Post by: pyoungbl on February 10, 2016, 09:24:01 PM
Just a side note Peter: It is pretty easy to retreat the material to be waterproof again. I have done it with success more than once, so I can repeat the results.


JH, I tried everything under the sun, even sent the suit back to Aerostich to have them do their clean/waterproof magic.  Finally, on a trip to Alaska, we stopped at the factory.  This after 4 days of steady rain, a real frog strangler.  When I mentioned the waterproof issue they showed me the date of manufacture (inside the upper left pocket, news to me!) and said that the Goretex does not last FOREVER.  We all had a good laugh.  The suit was 12 years old at the time.  I had used it a lot.  I have to admit that the suit was really dry for the first 10 years or so but then it started to soak up water.

Peter Y.
Title: Re: Looking to get new gear. Input please.
Post by: molly on February 11, 2016, 04:40:01 AM
Aerostitch is hard to come by in Europe The boys doing the serious riding tend to wear Rukka. Those Finns know a thing or two about keeping warm and dry. Not cheap but the best seldom is.

Title: Re: Looking to get new gear. Input please.
Post by: boatdetective on February 13, 2016, 11:11:39 AM
Liao-
Don't know if it's been mentioned, but motorcycle gear.com has the first gear tog onesy on close out for only $299
Title: Re: Looking to get new gear. Input please.
Post by: Darren Williams on February 13, 2016, 12:36:09 PM
Here's my take,

I ride year round and long trip several times a year, which been doing for a while.  Had a used Stich 2 pc suit a dozen+ years ago, then went leather 2 pc for winter and mesh 2 pc for summer, then Rocket Survivor suit (needed one pc for track schools and thought leather would never be used off track so went textile).  Have used it quite a bit when on dual sport day rides, but to me 2 pc are best for traveling. 

For me, I'm in the camp that wears mesh when traveling with heated liners underneath when it gets cold and a PVC 2 pc rain suit for the really wet stuff over the top. This way I have total versatility for hot, cold, and wet.  Got caught in a little bit of a down pour in Mo. coming back from the Springfield Mile last year. Body stayed dry but had to stop cause I couldn't see!

Took a 80 MPH tumble (literally, damn deer) a year and a half ago with the armored mesh (Scorpion Jacket and First Gear pants) and walked away in great shape, as the gear did it's job.