Wildguzzi.com
General Category => General Discussion => Topic started by: tazio on February 08, 2016, 07:26:01 PM
-
About a man, a boy and a bear.
Great cinematography.
Wonderful music score.
Not so much a chick flick, skip this one on Valentines Day.
You DID remember Valentine's THIS weekend,right....
Very much enjoyed this movie.
-
I just happen to know a lady who likes a bit of blood and guts....
Also yes, valentines day this weekend which is why I'm booked to ride the Cali that day
-
Valentine's Day ? This weekend ? Damn , oh wait , I swore off relationships a couple of years back , what am I worried about ? Force of habit , don't feel guilty , don't feel guilty , don't feel guilty ,don't f...
Dusty
-
I just happen to know a lady who likes a bit of blood and guts....
Then she'll be putty in your hands.
~and Dusty, no swearing. House rules.
-
Then she'll be putty in your hands.
~and Dusty, no swearing. House rules.
Relationship , relationship, relationship . LOL .
Dusty
-
Way too gory for me--didn't care for it.
Rich A
-
Being a sucker for outdoors action movies, I went to see it. Beautiful scenery in the movie for sure. Spectacular special effects. Not much for story line. The movie does not seem super close to how memory of the book read many years ago seemed to go... No recollection of a son in the book or revenge killing either? Maybe memory fades.
-
Agree with Rich the gore was excessive and un necessary. Probably not historically accurate either.
-
completely agree with you on the movie. wasn't that scene of him gutting the horse and crawling in taken from a much earlier book and movie, the oxbow incident?
-
Funny review from an Indian perspective:
.... “The Revenant” is the blood-orange course before the coffee and brandy, a beautifully shot cinematic sorbetto to cleanse our palate after the mucky clottiness of “Tonto and the Lone Ranger” and “A Million Ways to Die in the West,” and that Sandler thing that left such a bad taste in everyone’s mouth. It’s brilliant and good and one of those productions that makes you say, “Well that’s what movies are supposed to be.”
Read more at http://indiancountrytodaymedianetwork.com/2016/01/29/ted-van-alst-dances-oscars-revenant-reviewed-spoilers-163244
Good looking movie with some good acting but it really isn't a good film.
-
for Valentines day... send your daughter a card or buy her dinner...
-
Thought it was well done.
But as hard to sit through than 'The Texas Chainsaw Massacre' of 1974. Brutal.
Joe
-
Great movie IMO shot in all nature light. Gore was period accurate. There was no son. Bridger was so embarrassed & humiliated when Glass caught up with him that it was enough for Glass. Fitzgerald had moved on & enlisted in the army by the time Glass caught up with him. Fitzgerald's commanding officer wouldn't let him kill Fitzgerald so Glass told the CO & other soldiers what Fitzgerald had done humiliating him. Glass's main drive for living WAS revenge for being left w/o his rifle, knife, pouch & survival gear. In 1833, Glass & 2 others were killed crossing the frozen Yellowstone river by Arikaras.
-
I read the book then really looked forward to the movie. I didn't mind the violence, probably very accurate for the times. The bear attack was all CGI, but realistic and horrifying non the less. The movie was different than the book in many ways, and I enjoyed the finality of the revenge in the movie as opposed to the lackluster ending in the book.
-
Great movie.Gore for the period was accurate.We've all become too soft and don't want to have our sensibilities disturbed.It's the way things were and may come again.
-
Wife loved it
Friends of ours loved it
I hated it - just wished he'd hurry up and die and if I could have got out of the cinema without disturbing the 10 people either side of us I would have done so
That being said I'm sure it will win a bucket load of awards
-
I'm not planning to see it. Not interested in paying to see CG bear attacks and gratuitous blood and gore.
Hugh Glass was a real person, though, and his story is interesting. As are the stories of many of our frontiersmen.
A good place to start for those who don't know who he was:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hugh_Glass
http://hughglass.org/
-
........ Not interested in paying to see CG bear attacks and gratuitous blood and gore......
That's what did for me R59
I shall take a look at your links though
-
I saw it last week. I liked it, wifey hated it. Too much blood.
About half way through (or less) I thought to myself that the director must have previoously been a director of porno films (not that I know about those) becouse of all the in your face close ups and strange camera angles.
Yes, a porno with no porn. And, I got cold watching it, brrrr!
Beautiful movie, though.
Tom
-
Saw it and enjoyed it. The bear attack was vicious and horrific and there was a lot of gore.. I generally am squimish about that, I can't stand horror films.
But, the one thing that struck me was that there wasn't really a 'good guy' in the film. Everyone seemed to just be surviving... soldiers, Pawnee, Sioux, frontiersmen, even the animals. Some frontiersman seemed good men while others were SOBs, same with the the Sioux and Pawnee men (and women). Loved the humor and complexity of the old Pawnee man that saved Hugh Glass. And was saddened when he was hung. I wondered if the movie was REALLY about the Sioux? girl who was kidnapped by the traders/furtrappers... and was relieved that she survived to be reunited with her father.
i liked that there were two or three story lines to follow, enjoyed the complexity of the characters. i think it was a good movie but can't speak to its historical accuracy.