Wildguzzi.com
General Category => General Discussion => Topic started by: canuguzzi on February 08, 2016, 10:00:10 PM
-
Some of us have had the experience to happen upon emergencies as we are riding. Sometimes you are first on scene or one of the first. In some cases someone involved might ask to borrow your phone to call because theirs isn't around or any number of other reasons.
Instead of giving them your phone or making the call yourself and then being asked to put the involved on the phone, if you have an old phone that is not connected to service, let them use that, it will work to make and receive emergency calls. Emergency calls would be to a bonafide emergency response center like the police, fire dept etc., not because they are late getting home and need to call the babysitter.
An old phone might have a good battery and turned off, hold a charge for quite a while. Throw one in a bag, it won't take up much space but can be an easy and safe way to let someone use a phone to make an emergency call without risk to you other than the obvious.
Just make sure you factory reset and delete any personal info from the phone and do not put in a sim card if the phone needs one. No sim card is needed tonuse the phone for emergency calls.
Just a use for old phones. If the phone has a camera on it, often it can still take pictures and video and store than on the phone's memory. Handy if you're crawling around to take pics and don't want to risk getting your good phone messed up.
Emergency response centers will also be able to call that phone.
-
Donate the old phones to your local domestic abuse center. They like them for the same reasons, even with no plan they have 911 access.
-
Or if is a true emergency, do whatever it takes to render aid. If that means using your precious cell phone just do it.
-
One problem is there are still many places, especially many more remote places that many of us like to ride in that have no cell service. The worst for me was coming up on a significantly injured young man in NE Arkansas that had talked a friend into letting him take his bike out from a party. He was drunk and not a rider and lost it on a outside radius curve. I was the first one on the scene and cell phones were not very common yet. Another motorist did have a cell but had to drive a ways to get reception. It took 45 minutes for the first emergency responders to arrive. One of the longest 45 minutes of my life while I was trying to keep the young man immobile as he was coming in and out of consciousness and also appeared to have back injuries.
GliderJohn
-
Or if is a true emergency, do whatever it takes to render aid. If that means using your precious cell phone just do it.
Exactly, we stop. Jenn assesses the situation and tells me what to do.
Actually it's much like every other day lol. :grin:
-
I've been the first on scene for a few nasy accidents. Must have happen seconds earlier. No cops or EMS yet. Not pleasant looking into that car for the first time, but shame on the coward that rubbernecks and keeps going. Can you imagine throwing them a flip phone from 1999 and stating "9-1-1 still works. You can't use my iPhone 6". I do carry a tournequet at work and in my car. Probably not a bad idea ti keep one in your riding jacket for self or buddy aid. It's the arterial bleeding that will kill you first.
-
Can you imagine throwing them a flip phone from 1999 and stating "9-1-1 still works. You can't use my iPhone 6".
No.
It must be a California thang...
-
:shocked:
"Oh look, an emergency. Let me experiment with a phone that hasn't been on for 6 months."
-
And how did you come to that conclusion?
Why the OP, of course.
-
There is nothing in his post or profile that says anything about location and yet this is a "California thang".
Joe,
It was a joke. A prod at NP, who from his numerous previous posts has claimed himself to be in NorCal, near The Bay Area.
-
I get it.
Doesn't have to be a life-threatening "emergency" which seems to be catalyzing the more negative responses.
Sure, tossing a phone at speed in order to "not get involved" in a bleeding scenario is one thing but I've stopped (EVERY,SINGLE,TIME) when someone I'm passing looks distressed and many times, these otherwise societally "helpless" doofs will all but think you should adopt them over stopping for their flat or overheat.
Though the smallest thing can be a larger problem in the SouthWest - I many times, assess, communicate and get the hell outa there ahead of a long term commitment rearing its head. They're usually easy enough to spot if you know what to look for.
Giving out a phone in order to engage our excellent, governmental, roadside assistance would be a boon. Too many of them seem well attuned to taxpayer bailouts anyhow.
Todd.
-
I was a first responder to a motor vehicle accident a few years ago. An elderly couple drove off the snowy road at highway speed and crashed into a nearby railroad bridge. Airbags deployed. Both were belted. I ran over and assessed things while other motorists were calling for ems. I basically ran through the ABCs of trauma care (airway, breathing, circulation) and held off on the D which is disability for fear of moving this older couple too much and causing additional injuries. They were both bleeding from scalp lacs and had bruised chests from the seat belts. We talked about medications and past medical issues. When EMS arrived, I told them that I'm a surgeon, specifically a trauma surgeon, and then attempted to give report. They blew right past me. I think I got a cursory nod and that was it. They couldn't have cared less. This is our turf, doc. So bloodied and annoyed I returned to my car and we left.
I'd do it again. I'll always stop to help. And, a bit of advice, if you stop, get way, way out of the way, and keep your wits about you. I've treated countless people who were hit while trying to help someone else.
Nate
-
The post wasn't meant to advise anyone to sit there pondering what to do in an emergency, I'm surprise anyone would have such thoughts enter their brain. Not all emergency have someone prone bleeding out. Some emergencies don't involve personal injury, maybe that doesn't occur?
As for a 1999 flip phone, really,? A bit of a reach isn't that? OTOH, it probably has a better chance of working that most smart phones. :wink:
And playing along, the chances of a Californian stopping to render aid is probably much higher than anyone with an iPhone stopping because the likelihood their precious iPhone will be offered up is as good as the chance they'll look up from finger loving their phone.
-
I get it.
Doesn't have to be a life-threatening "emergency" which seems to be catalyzing the more negative responses.
Sure, tossing a phone at speed in order to "not get involved" in a bleeding scenario is one thing but I've stopped (EVERY,SINGLE,TIME) when someone I'm passing looks distressed and many times, these otherwise societally "helpless" doofs will all but think you should adopt them over stopping for their flat or overheat.
Though the smallest thing can be a larger problem in the SouthWest - I many times, assess, communicate and get the hell outa there ahead of a long term commitment rearing its head. They're usually easy enough to spot if you know what to look for.
Giving out a phone in order to engage our excellent, governmental, roadside assistance would be a boon. Too many of them seem well attuned to taxpayer bailouts anyhow.
Todd.
Bingo :thumb:
Part if emergency response is assessment which takes place before the actual physical response, even if it happens so fast it seems automatic.
Part of planning is having the skills and tools needed to do the job, including helping out in an emergency. If for example, you need to stand there wondering which phone to give out, everyone would probably be better off if you just gawked instead if got involved because there is a lack of critical thinking going in, prep is before the emergency, not fumbling when action is called for.
Some people will grab a crowbar and thin wire to stop heavy bleeding when they are wearing a belt. The skills, knowledge and training along with tool preparation take place before the emergency. Adaptation takes place during the response but considers the best action and tools to use. Some understand and can figure it out, others will ponder the questions and are best suited to remaining observers and gossipers.
So the old cell phone is just an option, just a suggestion for those who are willing to be part of the solution. Like any tool, knowing when and which one to use is paramount. If you are unable to figure out the proper one, by all means, drive on so those who have figured it out can get there.
-
Why not just call 911 your self ? I am not saying giving out a phone is bad , but the number of times I stop to help would require at least 6 phones a year , easier to just make the call myself .
Dusty
-
Why not just call 911 your self ? I am not saying giving out a phone is bad , but the number of times I stop to help would require at least 6 phones a year , easier to just make the call myself .
Dusty
An example would be wanting to help them to get in contact with a 911 entity yet the situation does not necessarily warrant hanging around to see it through. Leaving an otherwise "free" phone would do the trick while allowing one to be on one's "merry".
Us? we're about awash in old phones here so I could drop 4-6 before it were an issue.
It's a concept I had never thought about - nor the above mentioned abuse scenarios for that matter.
Todd.
-
Good on you mike. I'm a believer in the golden rule, karma and what goes around comes around :thumb:
-
Pokeyjoe , you beat me to it. Yes, first aid kits are REQUIRED in ALL vehicles in Germany and they are checked to be sure they are not outdated.
Tom
-
Why not just call 911 your self ? I am not saying giving out a phone is bad , but the number of times I stop to help would require at least 6 phones a year , easier to just make the call myself .
Dusty
The intent wasn't to hand out the phone and leave. The intent was to allow someone a courtesy, not knowing who they are, who they might call and then not be in the position where the call responder asks you to put the other party in the phone.
Yes, you can make the call yourself. Then how do you render any other assistance? You are now relay person instead of aid person. You might not have all the info, now it is what someone else said that you are relaying to someone else who then might need to provide info or respond to dispatch.
You get the phone back.
It isn't a lot of trouble to do this and if something does go awry, they drop it, they throw it to the ground because they got upset, who knows, no big deal, it was a throwaway phone anyway.
There are usually many ways to do something, this is just one more way. Don't like it, don't do it.
If it is a non life threatening emergency, they can use the throwaway to call emergency personnel, they can in turn patch them through to a family member for example. Far better than someone calling ahead to someone else who decides to help themselves to you and yours.
An unusual scenario but over decades of training and training others to handle emergencies, suspicion in healthy doses keeps you safe.
People in need can become desperate and they can and sometimes will do strange things. This way you can bug out, leave the phone and not worry that now they have you personal info.
What personal info do you have on your cell phone?
-
Usually when I see someone on the side of the road they are already on their phone calling someone.
I had a friend who used to stop to help cars on the side of the road with flat tires until he realized they were drivers with no spare and were looking for some chump to help them. Many new cars don't even have spare tires now.
Whenever I go down almost immediately someone comes to my aid.
1 time I saw a Harley couple on the side of the road and pulled over on my Ambassador. His air cleaner screw had fallen out(vibration) and was blocking air to his carb and he had no tools. I got my handy dandy MG philips small head screw driver out and he broke the tip off trying to loosen the other screw with no luck. He didn't even say I'm sorry, so I left him as I couldn't help him any more. This was before we had flip phones. Too bad he wasn't with a group or a truck following him.
-
Quote from AZ Wayne:
1 time I saw a Harley couple on the side of the road and pulled over on my Ambassador. His air cleaner screw had fallen out(vibration) and was blocking air to his carb and he had no tools. I got my handy dandy MG philips small head screw driver out and he broke the tip off trying to loosen the other screw with no luck
Interesting. Years ago helped a couple on a H-D with exactly the same problem and they had no tools. I had a multi-tool with me and that was all they needed.
GliderJohn
-
Cleaned up a bit . Alright fellas , unless you can prove to us that you are a licensed head shrinker , let's not start passing out medical diagnoses . Thanks .
Dusty
-
Last Wednesday I happened to experience a motorcyclist down. It was me on my Nevada. I was rounding a curve just on the outskirts of town and came unexpectedly on a group of stopped automobiles in my lane. There was a nice soft shoulder (soft dirt covered in grass), but no reason to panic, since I was only doing about 40 MPH and had plenty of time to stop. I use both front and rear brakes when stopping (a habit developed over 50 yrs of riding) and used both for what would have been an easy stop with plenty of room to spare. Instead the front brake locked up and I was thrown off the bike and went sliding/tumbling down the asphalt.
In my 50+ yrs of riding I've experienced locking up my back brake and my front brake in emergency situations, and both at the same time. At which time I've always decided to release the brake and go for an alternate plan, however, this time I didn't feel any tire slide. This was just gently apply the brakes and "whoa crap I'm flying".
I swear that before I even stopped sliding people had stopped their vehicles and were helping me off the road onto the soft shoulder, they had a folded up jacket under my head and had me covered with another jacked. They must have immediately called the EMT's because they were there within minutes, as were the highway patrol and a sheriff. I could not have asked for better, more thoughtful assistance.
I'm a native Kalifornian, and don't have a great deal of love for the way the state has been going, but up here in the foothills it's still California and neighbors are still concerned for neighbors.
-
Cleaned up a bit . Alright fellas , unless you can prove to us that you are a licensed head shrinker , let's not start passing out medical diagnoses . Thanks .
Dusty
And I repeat myself ...
Dusty
-
Get First Aid, Wilderness First Aid (especially if you're an off-roader), CPR and while you're at it, AED trained. I haven't had to use any of it yet but two adults in my scout troop have. One has saved a life with CPR and on another occasion splinted a boys broken arm before transporting out of the woods. The other has saved a life But also had a man die while rendering CPR.
Just do it. If you're the first certified on the scene toss your phone to the other person to make the call if they don't have one or have the next person on the scene make the call. If there's no service send someone for help. Primary objective is to keep the victim alive, not to f$!k around with phones.
Tobit
-
Stop and render what aide you can. Especially if it's another motorcyclist in need.
Maybe I'm naive, or just stupid, but it seems like a no-brainer for me.
My assistance is usually welcomed and appreciated. So many fine folks have helped me out in various ways, that I feel obligated to do the same. Thanks to the "haircut guy", one man's kind gesture became an example that I strive to emulate. :smiley:
Dave
Galveston
-
Get First Aid, Wilderness First Aid (especially if you're an off-roader), CPR and while you're at it, AED trained. I haven't had to use any of it yet but two adults in my scout troop have. One has saved a life with CPR and on another occasion splinted a boys broken arm before transporting out of the woods. The other has saved a life But also had a man die while rendering CPR.
Just do it. If you're the first certified on the scene toss your phone to the other person to make the call if they don't have one or have the next person on the scene make the call. If there's no service send someone for help. Primary objective is to keep the victim alive, not to f$!k around with phones.
Tobit
Not all emergencies are life or death or involve injuries. Disabled vehicles, downed power lines, vehicles abandoned in the roadway, dead body on the side of the road (happens).
However, the above quoted post is spot in. Get training to render first aid. Knowing what to do without asking for directions is paramount and saves time. Getting directions over a cell phone when the other person isn't breathing is not the way to go. Beating on someone's chest ala TV is not the right way.
Thing have changed in first aid response so it pays to get the training.
The life you save might be one if your family members.
-
I make the call myself. I am in better condition to make the call and answer questions than someone who is going to be in some degree of shock even if they are not injured. I know how to quickly read location information from my GPS and can provide better info to EMS responders than someone who just had an airbag in their face, or tested their riding gear's armor quality.
If the situation is severe enough, and particularly if I can't get a signal due to a remote location (fairly common in the West), I have the SOS button on my SPOT satellite transceiver that I can always use. I might be responsible for some charges, but I'd rather be responsible for those charges than responsible for a death.
-
Emergency response centers will also be able to call that phone.
A phone with no service or no SIM card is known as a "911 only cell" and we (911 people) CANNOT call those phones back. When we get a call from one of those, the phone number that shows up has an area code of 911 and 7 random numbers for the rest of it. It may be different in other countries, but here in the US of A, no can do.
-
A phone with no service or no SIM card is known as a "911 only cell" and we (911 people) CANNOT call those phones back. When we get a call from one of those, the phone number that shows up has an area code of 911 and 7 random numbers for the rest of it. It may be different in other countries, but here in the US of A, no can do.
I wondered about this. If a phone is not in service, how can it be very helpful?
-
A phone with no service or no SIM card is known as a "911 only cell" and we (911 people) CANNOT call those phones back. When we get a call from one of those, the phone number that shows up has an area code of 911 and 7 random numbers for the rest of it. It may be different in other countries, but here in the US of A, no can do.
We did it. There is a way. I won't say how because it would cause "problems", it can however, be done.
A phone with no service subscription can also be located if the phone is turned on but not in use.
The service providers like Verizon, T-Mobile and Sprint can also send a text message to a phone with no subscription service. No, the clerk behind the counter can't tell you how.
Also, the no-service phone can be located via it's longitude and latitude, accuracy varying but often within a few hundred yards at most.
To the last post: no-service phone does not mean the phone can't make a call, it means that if it isn't subscribed to a service provider, it can still make emergency calls. The phone does not need to have a regular phone number or paid for service to make 911 calls.
The numbers after the 911 are not random, they can be decoded.
You would be amazed at what the service providers can access on any phone, with a subscription or not. How much of that a particular 911 center can also access depends on where it is, at what level it operates and it's agreements with service providers. Not all 911 call centers are the same or have the same capabilities.
-
The two occasions I have used 911 from a cell phone, they didn't even know what county I was in. The GPS upload from a cellphone is so bad, it is almost a joke. And to expect it to work on a phone that has been turned off, so it hasn't had a current GPS catalog download in weeks or month. Hah. Forget it.
-
You would be amazed at what the service providers can access on any phone, with a subscription or not. How much of that a particular 911 center can also access depends on where it is, at what level it operates and it's agreements with service providers. Not all 911 call centers are the same or have the same capabilities.
I would imagine that if we truly needed to do that, we could call Verizon, or AT&T or who ever, and jump through the hoops to get it done. They are pretty good about pinging phones and helping with other stuff, but if there was a way, during a real life and death emergency, that we could call them and make it happen, that would be magical. They've always told us it couldn't be done. Learn somethin' new everyday. I'll have to look into that. Thanks!
And you're right about centers capabilities. We are pretty low tech. No way to do 911 texts. Our new phone system 'should' be able to handle it, but we don't have the rest of the hardware in place yet. I think there are only a handful of centers in WA state that can. I see the value in that, but I am really not looking forward to it. I'm too old for this crap. hahahaha And the day we get video capability is the day i walk out the door for good. Admin would certainly give me the boot in the backside if some callers could see my facial expressions. :rolleyes: