Wildguzzi.com
General Category => General Discussion => Topic started by: Jeff Abgrund on February 09, 2016, 01:46:50 AM
-
I've been browsing the archives, and this seems like a common question, but I'm hoping for some clarifications.
I recently acquired a 2001 EV1100 (small computer) with the awful stock seat. I need a new seat before I can enjoy touring on this otherwise very fine bike. There seem to be quite a few good options, but none locally available to me (anyone have any ideas for local options in Portland, OR?) , so it's all pictures online and reviews to decide on a $400-800 purchase...I'm thinking of going with a Corbin, but I like the look of their Calvin saddle better (I know, vanity). Can anyone tell me for sure that a Calvin will fit an EV with little modification?
Thanks,
-Jeff
-
When you say "...awful stock seat.", does this have the 90 degree ridge under the pilot's butt to accommodate the older/larger P8 computer? If so, that ridge can be cut away with a dremel and then a flat piece of plastic inserted with pop rivets. Then allows you to rebuild the foam and re-use the original cover for more comfort. Did that for Regina's 98 EV. Might have pictures at home but I'm currently in England for another week.
Found some pics in my PB account.
(http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t61/pehayes/EV/MVC-795X.jpg)
(http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t61/pehayes/EV/MVC-794X.jpg)
We took the modified pan to a custom rebuilder in Ojai, CA.
Patrick Hayes
Fremont CA
-
Sounds like you took it to Rocky. He does really great work.
-
I have mounted CalVin seats on 2 bikes, a Bassa and a Special Sport. The profile of the seat fits better on the EV's w/metal rear fender. Matches the sidecover better.
-
Bump . No expert , probably not too difficult , both bikes are the same basic platform . One of our experts will be along shortly . Oh , welcome to the forum :smiley:
Dusty
-
Here's a Custom guy in the PNW.
http://www.richscustomseats.com/contact
OR
Another Rich (Maund), this one on the East Coast, but very responsive, and capable...
Here's a thread about contacting him. http://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=33023.0
He built the seat on my '00 Jackal. unbelievable improvement over the stock seat.
(http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l58/tiokimo/Jackal/F889DD6F-25E2-4196-8173-505E75518C5A_zpsemkwgs8b.png) (http://s93.photobucket.com/user/tiokimo/media/Jackal/F889DD6F-25E2-4196-8173-505E75518C5A_zpsemkwgs8b.png.html)
-
Thanks guys, that's about what I thought. I had not thought about cutting my stock pan, that's an interesting option.
Kidsmoke, that seat looks really good. I like the flatter profile.
-
Thanks guys, that's about what I thought. I had not thought about cutting my stock pan, that's an interesting option.
Kidsmoke, that seat looks really good. I like the flatter profile.
yep, that pillion ridge is far less obtrusive than it appears. Allows for lots shifting about.
(http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l58/tiokimo/Jackal/5EEFB77C-C5C1-41EA-A9C4-C0B47897ABE6_zpscx2h7dgc.jpg) (http://s93.photobucket.com/user/tiokimo/media/Jackal/5EEFB77C-C5C1-41EA-A9C4-C0B47897ABE6_zpscx2h7dgc.jpg.html)
On that Maund Thread, I know it says he's done. But I can tell you I corresponded with him about this very seat since that time, and he was open for business, at least on some level. Worth reaching out if your interested. Feel free to use my pics as a conversation starter.
-
I had great luck with Sargent when I re-did the seat on my Vintage. You have to know what you want, but Sargent was really good about helping through the process and turning the modification in a timely manner. I raised the seating surface 3/4" and did a widen and dish. It really transformed my Vintage...its legitimately comfortable for 8-10 hour days.
(http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c229/JamesBagley/86BC3A15-932D-4F19-B3A3-28C4021BBECC.jpg) (http://s28.photobucket.com/user/JamesBagley/media/86BC3A15-932D-4F19-B3A3-28C4021BBECC.jpg.html)
(http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c229/JamesBagley/6d07cc5b1d9eaafdbd9114325a35df65.jpg) (http://s28.photobucket.com/user/JamesBagley/media/6d07cc5b1d9eaafdbd9114325a35df65.jpg.html)