Wildguzzi.com
General Category => General Discussion => Topic started by: jas67 on April 26, 2016, 08:51:31 PM
-
http://www.cycleworld.com/moto-guzzi-v7-turbo-charge-custom-motorcycle-by-af1-racing-austin-texas#page-7 (http://www.cycleworld.com/moto-guzzi-v7-turbo-charge-custom-motorcycle-by-af1-racing-austin-texas#page-7)
(http://www.cycleworld.com/sites/cycleworld.com/files/styles/large_1x_/public/moto-guzzi-v7-turbo-1.jpg?itok=fXkp9v9g&fc=50,50)
(http://www.cycleworld.com/sites/cycleworld.com/files/styles/large_1x_/public/images/2016/04/moto-guzzi-v7-turbo-7.jpg?itok=Waur6QVn)
-
That's pretty badass. I really like the tail section, too...
-
Very cool, but... ... after all the superfluous exhaust wrap I've seen, here's an application that can really use exhaust insulation between the cylinders and the turbo, and there is none!
-
Tres cool - but with tires that textured, shouldn't that front fender be lifted a bit? :thumb:
-
Hard to tell from the photos but it looks like your right leg would be right on that exhaust pipe? Plus rear sets and those high handlebars? Does that work in real life?
-
The moderate increase in power and torque of the V9 about the V7 is caused by the motor case of the smallblock. The case will prohibit a substantial increase in power in this arrangement. I don´t see a robust engine here.
-
Well, the article did say they sourced a salvaged bike, so nothing really lost. A fun project. Practical? I don't know. Cool? Oh yeah!
It will be fun to see the dyno results, and hear the turbo spool up.
John Henry
-
Interesting, a turbo supercharged bike dressed up like a flat tracker......No performance figures are given or suggested? Many custom shops will build a bike like this for display ..Rolling art....
-
Saw it (and heard it run) while chatting with the owner/builder when at AF1 Racing's MotoGP party. Pretty cool exercise in building, but as the owner was asked why, said something to the effect of "just something cool to do". And it was quite loud, almost to the point of not being able to clearly hear the turbo spool up.
I'd like to take for a run!
-
Interesting article and nice pohotos. Thanks! I got a chuckle out of the Cycle World's writeup. Quote ".... So, a low mileage, salvage-find V7 was sourced. I can only guess it was most likely totaled as the result of a violent tip over while the owner was adjusting their selfie stick outside a denim emporium.
-
Saw it (and heard it run) while chatting with the owner/builder when at AF1 Racing's MotoGP party. Pretty cool exercise in building, but as the owner was asked why, said something to the effect of "just something cool to do". And it was quite loud, almost to the point of not being able to clearly hear the turbo spool up.
I'd like to take for a run!
was it ridden at all?
-
That's pretty badass. I really like the tail section, too...
I believe that is the Guzzi Record Tail section painted black.
-
I dig it.
From a styling exercise POV, from a technical exercise POV or in simply coping with the limitations of the Herron head... I dig it.
Sometimes artificially aspirating an engine isn't about raw performance but rather smoothing the edges.
Given the lack of chamber options in a herron, huffin' the motor through air pumps or nitrous is about all that's left.
Sadly, one still must contend with the architecture of the rest of the motor and the limitations of the drive-line in really trying to make the small block scream.
Todd.
-
What's next? :shocked:
(http://i1282.photobucket.com/albums/a538/broughsuperior/bodastrip305_zps71b89abb.jpg) (http://s1282.photobucket.com/user/broughsuperior/media/bodastrip305_zps71b89abb.jpg.html)
:boozing:
-
The moderate increase in power and torque of the V9 about the V7 is caused by the motor case of the smallblock. The case will prohibit a substantial increase in power in this arrangement. I don´t see a robust engine here.
?
The moderate increase in power and torque of the V9 about the V7 is caused by the fact that they evolved a two valves, long stroke, rods and rockers engine in a two valves, long stroke, rods and rockers engine.
-
?
The moderate increase in power and torque of the V9 about the V7 is caused by the fact that they evolved a two valves, long stroke, rods and rockers engine in a two valves, long stroke, rods and rockers engine.
Yes, when we talk about trying to get that thing up to 100 hp or so. There was an interesting discussion of the engine in a German bike magazine (mo), that happens to love Moto Guzzi. Another thing that limits the power output of the engine is of course the force of circumstances to comply with Euro 4 - as an air-cooled engine. In the moment I know of no other air-cooled engine that achieves this. The CB-1100 for example does not.
Interesting: it is exactly the two-valve-pushrod-design that allows this. There are air channels tunneling through the cylinder heat that allow fresh air washing round hot spots like the exhaust valves. And the correct layout of the Guzzi V2 engine helps...
-
was it ridden at all?
No, just started and rev'd a bit.
-
Saw it (and heard it run) while chatting with the owner/builder when at AF1 Racing's MotoGP party. Pretty cool exercise in building, but as the owner was asked why, said something to the effect of "just something cool to do". And it was quite loud, almost to the point of not being able to clearly hear the turbo spool up.
I'd like to take for a run!
No, just started and rev'd a bit.
So it manages to be loud and completely impractical at the same time ? Hell , install a set of ape hangers or clip ons to finish it off :shocked:
Dusty
-
I don't know, man... It looks like fun, to me... :bike-037:
-
I don't know, man... It looks like fun, to me... :bike-037:
OK it is a free country :laugh: Here is my observation , a turbocharged scrambler style motorbike with
rearset footpegs and knobbly tires . Zero continuity , way too many "styles" to be a "piece" , more of a doodle in a JR High school students sketchbook .
Dusty
-
Scrambler? Nah...
Looks like a turbo'd flat tracker, to me...
-
Scrambler? Nah...
Looks like a turbo'd flat tracker, to me...
Well OK then , but trackers don't run knobbly tires . Certain styling cues when combined simply don't work for me . A tracker style bike needs larger diameter hoops with skinnier tires . Just my tastes , no one else need agree .
Dusty
-
OK it is a free country :laugh: Here is my observation , a turbocharged scrambler style motorbike with
rearset footpegs and knobbly tires . Zero continuity , way too many "styles" to be a "piece" , more of a doodle in a JR High school students sketchbook .
Dusty
Unfortunately this is what passes for real engineering--it is an attempt to gain press and opinion. Nothing wrong with that in a sense but just another reality show exercise.
Maybe that is too harsh and not really an attempt at something serious.
-
Yes, when we talk about trying to get that thing up to 100 hp or so.
The situation of the SB is really similar to that of the Ducati Pantah case, that born 350cc and was upgraded until 1000cc liquid cooled (the Desmoquattro is a Pantah case with liquid cooled cylinders) and 1100 cc air cooled.
To get the SB up to 100 hp means to rebore the engine up to 1200cc (and so to enlarge the space between the headbolts, an operation that, in the BB, had been already done two times) and to adopt 4 valves OHC heads. obviously something has to be redesiged (IE, the oil ducts, but they had been redesigned for the currrent 850 too), but there is nothing inherent to the case that prevent it's upgrading. The case is, quite literally, only a case.
-
At least it addresses the low on power issue.
-
Brent from AF1 built this and it was an exercise in fun for him. The welds on the exhaust are a work of art in themselves. He was also the engine build and crew for the Pikes Pike run for Ducati and the crew chief for the Victory Project 156 Pikes Peak Hill Climb. Great guy.
-
Brent from AF1 built this and it was an exercise in fun for him. The welds on the exhaust are a work of art in themselves. He was also the engine build and crew for the Pikes Pike run for Ducati and the crew chief for the Victory Project 156 Pikes Peak Hill Climb. Great guy.
Mr 54 , no one is casting aspersions on the builder , and certainly AF1 is a great shop . It just seems to be an odd juxtaposition of styles and purposes .
Dusty
-
Mr 54 , no one is casting aspersions on the builder , and certainly AF1 is a great shop . It just seems to be an odd juxtaposition of styles and purposes .
Dusty
Geeze dusty, don't go all Lannis on us. It's not YOUR bike :grin:
-
Geeze dusty, don't go all Lannis on us. It's not YOUR bike :grin:
So do you like it ? :evil:
Dusty
-
So do you like it ? :evil:
Dusty
No, it's just silly to me, can't ride it on the street, it would get out run and out handled by a vintage flat track bike. I really just wanted to use the "go Lannis" line on 'ya :violent1:
-
Geeze dusty, don't go all Lannis on us. It's not YOUR bike :grin:
I wonder who would take the greater snub from that one? :boozing:
The thread seems to continue a more lingering winter negativity than I usually see on the forum.
It's well done by most anyone's standards, looks like fun to ride regardless of whether having been ridden yet and NO WAY you're gonna see another one across the intersection from you if you did ride it.
As close to "hooligan" as one is likely to get anytime soon on a small block.
As far as "can't ride it..." Micro lights, license plate and a mirror... why not?
Todd.
-
To paraphrase Pete , they have upped the HP while lowering traction .
Dusty
ps
Yee Gads :grin:
-
I don't spend much time looking at new Guzzis, I know I'll probably never own one, I just like to mess with dusty
-
I don't spend much time looking at new Guzzis, I know I'll probably never own one, I just like to mess with dusty
I'm starting a list ...
Dusty
-
OK it is a free country :laugh: Here is my observation , a turbocharged scrambler style motorbike with
rearset footpegs and knobbly tires . Zero continuity , way too many "styles" to be a "piece" , more of a doodle in a JR High school students sketchbook .
Dusty
Oh my Dusty... isn't this a turnaround for you about a "scrambler". I seem to recall mentioning rearsets, engine mods for increased horses, racing street tires, and Ducati Pannagale front suspension as an abomination on a scrambler theme and you loved it! Now this on a bike that is MUCH closer on target?? You feeling ok? :wink:
-
[quoteouble author=kevdog3019 link=topic=83109.msg1313061#msg1313061 date=1461891287]
Oh my Dusty... isn't this a turnaround for you about a "scrambler". I seem to recall mentioning rearsets, engine mods for increased horses, racing street tires, and Ducati Pannagale front suspension as an abomination on a scrambler theme and you loved it! Now this on a bike that is MUCH closer on target?? You feeling ok? :wink:
[/quote]
Feeling fine , and you ? The Ducati in question started life as a Scrambler model , like say a Chevrolet Impala . If you alter it , it is still an Impala , or a Scrambler .
Dusty
-
As some of you realize the bike is a styling exercise by a custom bike supplier and or builder. This is to attract attention and promote their business...It's neither a street bike or a race bike...
The fact there's disagreement here is NOT negative but shows people think and have opinions.
-
Personally, I miss Lannis AND like the bike.
-
Cool.
I'd ride it like any bike I rode as a teen. Maniacally, taking turns with my pals on a makeshift TT course, jump and all, until we broke it and pushed it home where one of us promised they would fix it before next weekend.
A few old dual purpose bikes met their end that way.
Tobit
-
As some of you realize the bike is a styling exercise by a custom bike supplier and or builder. This is to attract attention and promote their business...It's neither a street bike or a race bike...
The fact there's disagreement here is NOT negative but shows people think and have opinions.
Well , and that's it .
Personally, I miss Lannis AND like the bike.
OK then :rolleyes: :laugh:
Dusty
-
I think it's a cool exercise with guys wanting to get crafty and have some fun, as well as a biz thing. Functionally it kind of works if you keep your hands off the turbo while in the dirt. I take it it has an on/off. The rearsets aren't conducive however to ANY scrambler themed bike IMO, but this is an exercise.
-
Personally, I miss Lannis AND like the bike.
:1:
-
Where did Lannis go? I missed several months of banter so don't have a clue. I'm guessing something ruffled his feathers?
-
Where did Lannis go? I missed several months of banter so don't have a clue. I'm guessing something ruffled his feathers?
Lannis has gone to a forum where us guys with old British junk hangout....
-
Lannis has gone to a forum where us guys with old British junk hangout....
There are only 24 hrs. in a day...
-
How come I had to go over to the Aprilia site to see this sucker?
http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/showthread.php?252952-What-s-in-the-AF1-Shop-(Volume-II)&p=4053536&viewfull=1#post4053536
-
Now that could be some serious fun until the spike sticks. :evil:
GliderJohn
-
Meh , didn't we discuss this thing several months ago ?
Dusty
-
New to me thanks for posting Roy
John
-
:lipsrsealed:
Would be a big turbo lag with those long exhaust pipings.
Turbo is no fun before the turbo kicks in. (Ex Kawa 750turbo owner)
:boozing:
-
I see it as one of those bikes you wouldn't probably want to own for several reasons however would be s&% & grins to visit it for a bit.
GliderJohn
-
Looks BadAss
(http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/attachment.php?s=35f3f123f7576489b8d6400e02c011c7&attachmentid=305721&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1460931629)
-
It looks really loud...
-
Moto porn at it's finest!
-
Do I want the single front disc brake to slow down a turbo V7?
-
I see it as one of those bikes you wouldn't probably want to own for several reasons however would be s&% & grins to visit it for a bit.
GliderJohn
I think Glider has it right; a great bike to borrow, not so great as a daily ride.
-
Bump . See , WG was already discussing this thing , Guzzistajohn even accused me of acting out of character , or being a character , or of having no character :laugh:
Dusty
-
Lots of character!