Wildguzzi.com
General Category => General Discussion => Topic started by: voncrump on May 11, 2016, 03:19:22 PM
-
Good morning from the Shaky Isles. We are experiencing a series of moderate shakes here in the lower North Island of New Zealand. 4.5 magnitude and then 5.2 magnitude. The South Island has had a 4.7 . Another 5.2 up north. The crater lake on Mount Ruapehu is heating up and there is an aviation warning in place. White Island has also been very active. Info available on Geonet. I am posting this from my I-pad and don't know how to put the Geonet link in.
Cheers, voncrump
-
Be safe dude . The problem with truly spectacular landscapes is they often are built on really shaky foundations .
Dusty
-
Yeah, when we had the 12000+ quakes it didn't bother me. Now these larger ones come out of the blue and I get nervous. I guess it is because the others generally used to build in intensity and I sort of expect these later ones to do the same. Fortunately they haven't to date.
-
That is such a strange feeling when the world shakes. I lived in California for many quakes and you just never get used to it; I moved back south and took my chances with tornadoes and hurricanes.
Hopefully this event won't last too much longer!
-
Lived in California for more than 6 decades. Earthquakes don't bother me.
I know enough to sit down when the "rollers" get real. and had to on a construction site in Oroville
My big thing is to stay away from driving on the lower level of a double decker highway.
now great white sharks off Santa Cruz that's another thing
Mark
-
Good luck! I see from the website http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/map/ that it's been a busy day for you.
Top Ten list of Things to Remember About Your Earthquake in Progress (in no particular order):
10) things on the floor can't fall
09) if there's nothing above you it can't fall on you
08) Don't try to stop things from walking or falling
07) release the pets
06) shut off the gas
05) get to an open area outside if you can
04) If you're near the beach, always, always head inland and for high ground immediately
03) sort out the need to head for the high ground later.
02) don't forget your "GO-bag"
01) be a help, not a victim.
That's all I've got.
We had a little rumble the other night while I was doing dishes. The 4' fixture over the kitchen sink came down into the dishwater. I was already outside, so I didn't see it happen. It tripped a breaker and blew fluorescent tubing all over the kitchen and smashed glass stuff on the countertop and in the sink. I'm still picking glass out of odd places. I won't be reinstalling it. If I'd been standing there with my hands in the sink it could have been bad. :shocked:
-
Another good map ...
http://ds.iris.edu/seismon/
-
here is the link to Geonet. It has some interesting info on it. If you get a clear day the camera shots on the Volcanoes can be interesting.
You never know you might catch an eruption. http://www.geonet.org.nz/ (http://www.geonet.org.nz/)
Cheers, voncrump
-
Be safe dude . The problem with truly spectacular landscapes is they often are built on really shaky foundations .
Dusty
like Oklahoma? I just saw a on PBS that Ok has more quakes that anywhere else in America.. and it's not from fracking, it goes even deeper.. but still caused by pumping oil..
-
Not from fracking-its mainly from reinjection of well waste water. Reinjection of water has been going on since the 50s.
-
like Oklahoma? I just saw a on PBS that Ok has more quakes that anywhere else in America.. and it's not from fracking, it goes even deeper.. but still caused by pumping oil..
Odd thing is , the pretty part of Oklahoma isn't having shakers , all out in the vast prairie 150 miles West of me .
Not from fracking-its mainly from reinjection of well waste water. Reinjection of water has been going on since the 50s.
Not at the massive rate it is being done at now . But hey , everyone wanted cheap gasoline and natural gas .
Dusty
-
And here's what insurance companies are doing in response to the upsurge in fracking quakes:
https://www.yahoo.com/news/factbox-changes-oklahoma-earthquake-insurance-policies-050604917--sector.html?nhp=1
https://www.yahoo.com/news/insurers-shun-risk-oil-linked-quakes-soar-oklahoma-050412299--sector.html?nhp=1