Wildguzzi.com
General Category => General Discussion => Topic started by: tonyduc on June 05, 2016, 09:43:51 AM
-
I was thinking of taking the Stelvio to Barber Vintage days in early October and going from NY thru either Skyline Drive in Va or Blue Ridge Parkway (at least part of BRP), rather than 81 which I taken several times. Main issue is weather in October especially in BRP since elevations reach 6,000 ft- from the map it looks like elevations in Va are not too high. Has anyone done this drive in the fall?
-
No, but I would seriously consider the Natchez Trace. Beautiful in the fall and no mountains. Not fast but no trucks and no intersections for 500+ miles.
Cheers, Tim
-
I was thinking of taking the Stelvio to Barber Vintage days in early October and going from NY thru either Skyline Drive in Va or Blue Ridge Parkway (at least part of BRP), rather than 81 which I taken several times. Main issue is weather in October especially in BRP since elevations reach 6,000 ft- from the map it looks like elevations in Va are not too high. Has anyone done this drive in the fall?
October weather is perfect. Lots of tourists doing the leaf thing. Watch your speed - pretty heavily patrolled. Really takes forever to get from A to B on the Parkway - but if you're in no hurry have at it!
How ya planning to avoid Atlanta, BTW?
-
There is one main issue in early October.
Weather.
It could, as you say, potentially be ice in spots at higher elevation. Maybe cold foggy rain. And this is a good thing.
Or
It could be great weather, meaning, everyone is up there on the Parkway enjoying the views. You will quickly hate the crowds and slow moving fall color seekers because you have some miles to cover. You will wish for the cold rain and fog.
-
Piggybacking a little
I'm going in August via moonshiner 28 and the dragon/skyline loop. I'll be camping in a tent. Recommendations?
-
Don't ever remember ice in early October. Wet leaves can be just as slippery.
-
Skyline is a tad slow. I'd imagine that in leaf season, it'd be unbearably so.
I have no idea when that might be; up here the leaves are pretty much gone by end of Oct.
I've done BRP in early spring; the fog in some places was nasty.
Came upon an ugly burn scar on the shoulder, obviously pretty new.
Learned later that a bike had been rear-ended by a car in the fog, rider apparently had some pretty serious injuries.
As for speed enforcement, if you're on a dual-sport, it's relatively easy to drop off the BRP onto numerous gravel roads down to the sides, before they catch you. :evil:
-
You might also consider US340 and/or US11 for part of the way. Yes, lots of small towns, but you can still make much better time than Skyline/BRP. Still pretty nice scenery down through the Shenandoah Valley, more choices for gas and food.
On the way to the VA Guzzi Rally, I usually skip the Skyline altogether, the 35 mph speed limit is just no fun. Normally pick up the BRP at Buena Vista or a little farther south.
-
Charlie, yes I was looking at US340 and/or US11 as they go parallel with 81 which is the direction I want to head in.
Thanks
Tony
-
A friend of mine and his son are doing that very same trip save for Skyline Drive with no concerns. The BRP is always a great time to kick back, smell the roses and take in the sights. If you need to make time you already know the fastest route. If time allows the BRP is :thumb:
-
Given the weather and the time, I would pick up BRP perhaps around Roanoke, follow to Cherokee. Then decide whether to pop over 441 and hit I75 or follow the back roads south. Many possibilities. Regardless, the ways from NW GA to east central Alabama are numerous and often very pleasant.
Would avoid Skyline.
-
A wonderful ride but slow. Posted speed for most of the BRP is 45 mph. Skyline Drive is a park so the posted speed is 35 mph and the cops are vicious. I've had them follow me for miles waiting for me to break the limit. They really like to stop bikes because it's safer and no judge will question the speed they record for a bike.
When maintenance is being performed, the detours can be long because much of the BRP is effectively limited access ... that's part of what makes it so nice. And big trucks are banned, too, so that helps. Be sure to take maps because you may be forced to get off the BRP by maintenance or weather related blockages. Never had that happen on the Skyline Drive but the park service has been known to just close the road.
Peaks-of-Otter is maybe the only place to spend the night that's actually on the BRP. Very nice facility and good food but you will need to make reservations well in advance. I don't recall any gas stations on the BRP but I believe there's one on the Skyline Drive so the rangers don't have to save more people than absolutely necessary who've run out of gas.
Definitely do your research before you get on the BRP, expect to max out around 55 mph and have a good idea where you plan to buy gas and spend the night. Limited camping.
Other than that, one of the nicest roads for motorcycles you will ever ride.
-
Don't ever remember ice in early October. Wet leaves can be just as slippery.
Probably right. When I encountered it south of Asheville, it was likely late October.
-
There's an airbnd right near the bar at Little Switzerland
-
There's an airbnd right near the bar at Little Switzerland
Also a very nice looking bar maid AT Little Switzerland.
-
Skip skyline, that is all...
-
I like skyline Drive. But do it during the week, not on a weekend. Most of the times I've ridden it there were very few park rangers. You can easily flirt with faster than posted speeds.
We did have a ranger chase us down one time to actually return a Guzzi hat he had found along side the road. True story.
-
I like skyline Drive. But do it during the week, not on a weekend. Most of the times I've ridden it there were very few park rangers. You can easily flirt with faster than posted speeds.
We did have a ranger chase us down one time to actually return a Guzzi hat he had found along side the road. True story.
But you have to admit it still pales in comparison to the rest of the BRPKWY.
-
I like skyline Drive. But do it during the week, not on a weekend. Most of the times I've ridden it there were very few park rangers. You can easily flirt with faster than posted speeds.
We did have a ranger chase us down one time to actually return a Guzzi hat he had found along side the road. True story.
Posted speed is 35mph. Its impossible not to flirt with going faster.
Guzzi content: The BRP is free while Skyline Drive has a fee.
-
Made this trip from CT. a couple of years ago in mid May. Temps were cool in the mornings, mid 40's and cooler in the mountains but can't remember what time of day I was at the higher elevations. The real issue here is traffic, there was none when I went but would definitely not take this route if at peak leaf season. There is no place to pass and most people are too stupid to pull over and let you go by.
I was very lucky that someone mentioned this prior to me planning my trip. I'm told there are lots of great roads near the brp but not sure if in any kind of a direct route. Good luck.
-
But you have to admit it still pales in comparison to the rest of the BRPKWY.
True. Last time I rode Skyline I was leading two firends on Harley baggers. The fog was so thick, I couldn't see 5 feet in front of the bike. I HAD to do 35mph or less. Not enjoyable.
-
I do Barbers Vintage every year and then continue on up to Deals Gap (Tail of the Dragon) for 4 or 5 days camping/riding. Best time of the year! I've had no snow on the Blue Ridge or Cherohala Skyway. Can be nippy in the morning though, in the 30s in the morning.
You need to get camping tickets for Vintage pretty early because they do sell out early!!! I Volunteer, it is a great way to see more of the show. Volunteering just once for 1/2 day will get you two tickets for all three days and free camping. It is a great deal..