Wildguzzi.com

General Category => General Discussion => Topic started by: Frederik on June 30, 2016, 03:17:54 AM

Title: 2003 EV TPS cleaning/replacement
Post by: Frederik on June 30, 2016, 03:17:54 AM
Got a small question or 2 on TPS cleaning.

I know that some people here have cleaned the TPS, drill a small hole, squirt some contact cleaner in etc. I'm looking for a "How-to", before I fok up a TPS and drill in the wrong place.

 :gotpics:

Also, I know you can replace the very expensive Guzzi TPS with a Harley item. I had a link to that page, MG TPS vs HD TPS by Jeff Brannen, but the page is gone.
Does anybody have a fresh link for me?
Title: Re: 2003 EV TPS cleaning/replacement
Post by: JoeB on June 30, 2016, 04:48:51 AM
From the bowels of my bookmarks and still active: http://archive.guzzitech.com/HD-TPS-Jeff_B.html
Title: Re: 2003 EV TPS cleaning/replacement
Post by: Frederik on June 30, 2016, 05:51:19 AM
Excellent!! Thanks for that!

Most important sentence in the article: "hook your bike up to the laptop and examine the state of the TPS before fiddling with it!"
Title: Re: 2003 EV TPS cleaning/replacement
Post by: Orange Guzzi on June 30, 2016, 10:19:48 AM
I rode my 2003 for several years with a bad tps.  I would take time to adjust, tweak, clean, look, adjust, tweak, clean.  Things just never got better.  One day, I pulled the tps off the bike, popped the cover off and the guts out.  The brass contact fingers were worn, bent and out of alignment with each other.  I replace it with the oem and never looked back.   Taking it apart is very easy.  The plastic ring will pop right out and the internals will fall out.  If you clean the inside contact surface, use something that is not abrasive and don't scrap.
Title: Re: 2003 EV TPS cleaning/replacement
Post by: JoeB on June 30, 2016, 10:56:10 AM
FWIW, kept an old PF3c, so to go along with what Orange Guzzi said:
(http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o21/cephas53/P1010643_zpstl4mxgsy.jpg)
(http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o21/cephas53/P1010642_zpshovyjc9m.jpg)
Title: Re: 2003 EV TPS cleaning/replacement
Post by: Frederik on June 30, 2016, 01:26:01 PM
Wow, guys, thanks for the excellent instruction and photos, much appreciated :thumb:

I have an old TPS laying around which I intended to clean, I will clean it coming weekend!

Again, thanks for all the feedback and help!
Title: Re: 2003 EV TPS cleaning/replacement
Post by: Kiwi_Roy on June 30, 2016, 01:30:46 PM
These resistance type TPS sensors are old technology, nowdays they are replaced by hall effect sensors that have no sliding parts, nothing to wear out.

Here's a typical, I'm not saying this is the one to use.
http://www.vishay.com/docs/57103/981he.pdf
About $110

I purchased one a couple of years back, it was a bit large to fit the throttle body but they are much smaller now
I think we need something like a 90° reverse acting.
Title: Re: 2003 EV TPS cleaning/replacement
Post by: ejs on June 30, 2016, 05:03:33 PM
 :boxing:
On my EV the brass fingers had worn out the carbon covered plastic foil that is inside the tps house.
Bought a used tps from a ducati, have it still after 3 years.