Wildguzzi.com
General Category => General Discussion => Topic started by: swooshdave on August 29, 2016, 11:23:34 PM
-
Took the 850T for a real ride today. It's been pretty hot here lately (90-100+) for opportunities have been limited. Plus I took this week off.
(http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff192/swooshdave/850T/1717E873-39C0-493C-AA97-D16505EDE20C_zpsazlyscys.jpg)
I headed out and about 35 miles down the road it just didn't feel right. More vibration than I expected. So I turned back thinking I'd head home. I stopped first a Bald Peak which overlooks one of the valleys.
Leaving Bald Peak it felt better so I headed west again. What the heck. Not like I make good decisions.
(http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff192/swooshdave/850T/E635FC32-37C9-48FC-8133-5C7086599846_zpsqexcgoaq.jpg)
Tillamook Forestry Center
(http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff192/swooshdave/850T/8FF625A3-3686-455D-873A-3D0B57A45FEF_zpsuvjywtnn.jpg)
(http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff192/swooshdave/850T/A357C2B6-F80E-4293-91E5-9F1197953D8A_zpsj6l5hssv.jpg)
Lunch at the coast. Temps today ranged from 60 to 90. Layers!
(http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff192/swooshdave/850T/004D95C9-2DF7-4FEA-97CF-0459BA3EBD02_zpsfswvogop.jpg)
Bike would run rough, like on one cylinder and I'd stop and fiddle with the spark plug wires. And then it would run better. But after a while I suspect that the stopping and cooling off may have had more to do with it. Had to stop frequently as the seat was mighty uncomfortable. I suspect it would be better if I was about 4in shorter.
Still not sure how rough one of these things should be. It does smooth out a bunch above 4K rpm. But still not sure what is causing the rough running. Starting to suspect a coil getting too hot. A lot more tear down will happen this winter.
Still managed some decent miles today. Maybe 200? Need to recheck the odometer.
-
Sounds like you still managed to get a nice ride in. I'd also suspect coils. Sounds a lot like a condenser issue, but if I recall correctly, you have Dyna ignition so that doesn't apply (or it does in some other form within the system that I'm not familiar with).
-
Check the choke plungers are able to seat completely. If one of them is ever so slightly off the seat it'll get way too rich when it's hot and cause problems. Does it respond to the mixture screws at idle?
A tight valve could be another cause, as could peeling bores.
Pete
-
Check the choke plungers are able to seat completely. If one of them is ever so slightly off the seat it'll get way too rich when it's hot and cause problems. Does it respond to the mixture screws at idle?
A tight valve could be another cause, as could peeling bores.
Pete
Good call. I'll check.
-
(http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff192/swooshdave/850T/004D95C9-2DF7-4FEA-97CF-0459BA3EBD02_zpsfswvogop.jpg)
Now that 747 in the background is a very special aircraft - brings a whole new meaning to the term 'heavy' for a big aircraft! A couple weeks ago, I saw the DC-10 that competed with it do a few drops here in Nevada...
-
That thing was on the roof last time I saw it. Uh....what the other guys said about the coil. Out of curiosity, what r's are you shifting at? and what r's are you cruising at?
-
That thing was on the roof last time I saw it. Uh....what the other guys said about the coil. Out of curiosity, what r's are you shifting at? and what r's are you cruising at?
They have two 747s. One is on the roof and part of the water slide. You read that correctly.
Shift and cruise around 4K.
So I had one new plunger installed, don't ask me why I didn't replace both at the time. Rode a bit today and I didn't get the heavy missed like yesterday. It still is lumpy at 4+k rpm. Shouldn't it be smooth?
-
(http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff192/swooshdave/850T/AF27B501-99E5-4C65-962B-5DEECAB96823_zpsazuqci3h.jpg)
(http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff192/swooshdave/850T/90F8EBC4-069E-426B-A12D-56ED9C3784EF_zps4l8hi4pa.jpg)
Stopped at the dealer today. Wanted a shirt. Apparently all Guzzi riders are XL. :violent1:
They had some black bike there. It was the size of a mobile home.
-
Dave, put some Seafoam or Techron in. Accelerate and shift at 5K. Let it cruise at 4 or 4.5K rpm's. I'd let you try my SP1000NT but that won't be for another 3 weeks. I'll be in Canby.
-
That thing was on the roof last time I saw it. Uh....what the other guys said about the coil. Out of curiosity, what r's are you shifting at? and what r's are you cruising at?
Ha! Ive been there!!!! Thats a long nice road to go down.
-
Can tell me something about the side stand? Looks like an aftermarket add on...the one I have makes me nervous each time I use it - just seems so short.
-
Can tell me something about the side stand? Looks like an aftermarket add on...the one I have makes me nervous each time I use it - just seems so short.
Pretty sure it's the cop sidestand. I assume you either weld the bracket on or swap lower frame rails.
I think you could set it down in quicksand and it would stay up. :cool: