Wildguzzi.com

General Category => General Discussion => Topic started by: Antietam Classic Cycle on September 05, 2016, 11:41:42 AM

Title: World's Fastest Convert?
Post by: Antietam Classic Cycle on September 05, 2016, 11:41:42 AM
From Facebook:

August 27th @ 12:37 pm.
With the help of Simatomic and Buzzards Bay Brewing we are heading to Loring Speed Trials in 6 days to show them dinosaurs CAN dance!

(https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-0/s480x480/14080010_10154027944304164_3123670163720747433_n.jpg?oh=1cab60385c9b46010ba8b2dd1ad35b99&oe=587CA10B)

Cycles Immortal added 3 new photos.
20 hrs. ago.
The weekend is over and the results are in.
We Won!!
We have the fastest Moto Guzzi Convert in captivity! And we have it on record!
129mph @ 7800rpm from a stock 40 something year old motor.
Here's my amazing pit crew(drove many hours to get there)


(https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/14199740_10154050683504164_8121616184720661358_n.jpg?oh=75db210729503e9dadb909781c629b8a&oe=584FA31F)

(https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/14202732_10154050683589164_6789886154229009344_n.jpg?oh=d3e4388048a7420393bcdaf3837c5768&oe=584D2343)
Title: Re: World's Fastest Convert?
Post by: Turin on September 05, 2016, 11:59:56 AM
That's impressive. Is that kind of speed due to the fairing and gearing?
Title: Re: World's Fastest Convert?
Post by: RinkRat II on September 05, 2016, 12:17:40 PM
  That's some pretty neat braggin' rights, Along with a record to back 'em up !!  Congrats :thumb:


    Paul B :boozing:
Title: Re: World's Fastest Convert?
Post by: Idontwantapickle on September 05, 2016, 12:18:12 PM
Right on!! Square slides and all!
 :thumb:
Title: Re: World's Fastest Convert?
Post by: Arizona Wayne on September 05, 2016, 04:31:32 PM
How did you do that vs. stock bike?   Was that on concrete runway?
Title: Re: World's Fastest Convert?
Post by: fotoguzzi on September 05, 2016, 05:08:20 PM
Impressive, 7800rpm!
Title: Re: World's Fastest Convert?
Post by: chuck peterson on September 05, 2016, 11:00:11 PM
Lots of wondering going on in my brain....I've always said you can't redline them with the stock gearing...I think stock top speed was 105-110? So I'd guess their best pick up in speed are aerodynamics...what a great experiment...no one else has, have they?
Title: Re: World's Fastest Convert?
Post by: mtiberio on September 06, 2016, 06:28:13 AM
Wow. I know a few things about Converts. No taller rear tire. Can't go taller on the rear drive. No hotter cam or big carbs? Special valve springs to raise the rev limit? Only way to get faster is aerodynamics...
Title: Re: World's Fastest Convert?
Post by: John in PA on September 06, 2016, 08:15:51 AM
I always introduce my 'Vert to friends as " The World's Largest Moped." 

So, you guys now have "The World's FASTEST Moped! " :bow: :wink:
Title: Re: World's Fastest Convert?
Post by: twowings on September 06, 2016, 08:18:17 AM
That looks like more fun than human beings should be allowed to have!  :thumb:
Title: Re: World's Fastest Convert?
Post by: rodekyll on September 06, 2016, 09:41:51 AM
My 'vert hits the wall at about 115-ish, although I've only put it here once to see what it would do.  Past that it can't push wind, but it's not at redline.  It has an 1100cc engine.  So these guys say they can get 30% more top end out of an otherwise box stock 'vert with a 40-y-o box stock engine and adding tin tin?  That means that all you folks with 1100cc or better 'modern' faired bikes should be able to do that -- right?

Just saying I'm skeptical.
Title: Re: World's Fastest Convert?
Post by: PeteS on September 06, 2016, 09:52:58 AM
Aren't Converts 949s? As for "stock" I think the least you need is stronger valve springs. My LeMans has survived many times well over 8K RPMs with better springs and I think that would still be considered stock just like a Blue Printed motor would be considered stock. Obviously the mufflers are not stock. What surprises me is those RPMs with 32 mm carbs.

Pete
Title: Re: World's Fastest Convert?
Post by: rodekyll on September 06, 2016, 10:47:39 AM
Yes, it's a 948 small valve with a nothing special cam and restrictive carbs.  It's reasonable to run out of valve springs in low range, but between the inefficiency of the torque converter and the limitations of the engine I don't think it's possible to squeeze anything close to 7800rpm and 130mph out of the stock setup in high range -- except on paper.  I think if you do the raw math and don't factor in t/c slip it's mathematically possible.

I'm not saying it didn't happen, I'm just saying I'm skeptical that it did happen with just the addition of a fairing.  If it did, then any modern 'non-naked' guzzi BB (more displacement, bigger valves, efi, no t/c slip, aerodynamic, etc.) should be able to do the same thing or better.  I've got the more modern, medium valve, EFI, larger displacement engines (one solid tappet, one hydro) in both of mine, and neither is capable of approaching 130mph. 

 . . . and I think I'm still undefeated in the reverse speed department @ 43mph.  If these boys want to accomplish something, they can try to beat that.
Title: Re: World's Fastest Convert?
Post by: mtiberio on September 06, 2016, 12:16:54 PM
According to my gearing spread sheet, 7800 RPM would be 141 MPH if there was no TC slip. So 129 might be possible.
Title: Re: World's Fastest Convert?
Post by: Antietam Classic Cycle on September 06, 2016, 12:21:32 PM
If they have a timing slip that says they went 129 mph, then who are we to doubt them? <shrug>
Title: Re: World's Fastest Convert?
Post by: rodekyll on September 06, 2016, 12:27:03 PM
I agree -- If they've got the slip, there's no doubt.
Title: Re: World's Fastest Convert?
Post by: Antietam Classic Cycle on September 06, 2016, 02:36:29 PM
Results haven't been posted yet, but when they are, you'll be able to check them out here:
http://www.loringtiming.com/
Title: Re: World's Fastest Convert?
Post by: Curtis Harper on September 06, 2016, 03:11:20 PM
That's awesome. Congrats.