Wildguzzi.com
General Category => General Discussion => Topic started by: antmanbee on September 14, 2016, 06:24:13 AM
-
Some recent threads here look like they may need to get into the internal pump assembly for some repair and replacement of hoses and filters.
This is what I did on my Cal Vin 2007. Other models may vary.
I modified my set up to some degree by moving the filter outside of the tank. I know this is controversial but I did it for the following reasons.
The parts needed are the same with the exception of the addition of some extra regular type injection hose and a few more clamps.
I wanted to make it easier to replace the fuel filter.
I wanted to make it easier to remove the tank.
It is a lot easier to get the pump unit in and out of the tank with no filter on the assembly.
I used Gates submersible hose SAE30R10. Only type rated to be used inside a fuel tank. Gates 27093 $15.92 (1ft) Rock Auto.
All metal filter Mahle KL145. From Rock Auto. $11.66
Filter Screen, internal that attaches to the pump inlet. Autobest A0 F1393. This part took me a lot of research to track down a suitable replacement for the difficult to obtain and expensive factory part. I think this part cost about $5-6.
High quality hose clamps. Got these from Amazon ABA 21014. $13 for 10 pack.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OL264DU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OL264DU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1)
(http://thumb.ibb.co/fat60a/Guzzi_Fuel_Strainer_F139_S_Autobest.jpg) (http://ibb.co/fat60a)
(http://thumb.ibb.co/c98jmF/IMG_0501.jpg) (http://ibb.co/c98jmF)
(http://thumb.ibb.co/ehVatv/IMG_0502.jpg) (http://ibb.co/ehVatv)
-
I have even seen some machine a threaded female portion into the existing pump to get rid of that awful plastic barb that breaks with the slightest pressure. Something I believe you could even do with a simple drill press, and hand tap. The coupling I have seen is a quick disconnect used on early BMW's and works great. I will probably pick up a pump assembly on fleabay here and do it for a just in case episode.
-
I have even seen some machine a threaded female portion into the existing pump to get rid of that awful plastic barb that breaks with the slightest pressure. Something I believe you could even do with a simple drill press, and hand tap. The coupling I have seen is a quick disconnect used on early BMW's and works great. I will probably pick up a pump assembly on fleabay here and do it for a just in case episode.
That is another reason I went to an outside filter. Referring to the filter picture, the white cap end of the filter connects to the plastic barb on the tank.
I just lift up the back of the tank a little and I can undo the clamp on the fuel line to the filter and not mess with the plastic barb.