Wildguzzi.com
General Category => General Discussion => Topic started by: fess on September 23, 2016, 01:21:23 PM
-
Aging sport bike guy thinking about moving to a cruiser. Not a fan of Harley or Indian. Rode the MG Eldorado and was really impressed. I did have some concerns about reliability and parts availability though
After the ride, I shut the bike off and it continued to make a beep/honk sound every few seconds from somewhere in the engine. Sales guy says " yeah it does that for a while". We go inside, I come out. 15 minutes later and the thing is still beeping. I see the service manager, as him and he seems surprised. Turned it on and off again, opened gas cap......still beeping. No one knows why it does this for up to 20 minutes after shut down. No one seems concerned......exce pt me.
I like the bike a lot, but seems like weird stuff is happening already.
-
Sounds to me like the gas tank is burping. It is a semi-pressurized vessel.
-
Correct. There's your first sign about the service dept. They should know that, and it's not to worry.
-
Sounds to me like the gas tank is burping. It is a semi-pressurized vessel.
Heard it here first via Zoom Zoom.
-
Yep. Guzzi's can be quite weird but don't let that stop you.
Most of the strange goes away within a few thousand miles then they are a very reliable long life bike that somehow continues to thrill with every ride.
Not sure what area you are in so it would be a good idea to post that and get feedback on the rep of the dealer in your area.
There are some decent independent shops also & for the most part Guzzi riders will help each other out even when we don't agree with them on anything else, strange bunch.
Guzzi tends to be a hands on bike, most of us do our own service & repairs. Historically they are one of the easiest bikes to work on.
Did I say how addicting they are? Many of us own more than one & it seems like people who are introduced to them "late in the game" always seem to start looking for an earlier model just to see what they were like back in the 70's & 80's.
Might want to also ride an Audace or the Custom models as they are a bit different. If you get one & then want to upgrade suspension & stuff there are aftermarket parts available.
Hope this helps.
-
If it was a pressure problem, wouldn't opening the gas cap solve it? It did not.
-
If the heat from the engine continues to warm the fuel tank it will continue to burp.
-
If it was a pressure problem, wouldn't opening the gas cap solve it? It did not.
Yes.
And that sound is typically a 'squeal' as pressure leaks past the one way valve.
Years ago my Stelvio had a turn signal fail. When I turned off the key, it would occasionally run the steeper motor. It did that all night long without me knowing it. Luckily it didn't kill the battery. And once I replaced the failed bulb and the error went away, the stepper motor stopped running with the key off. Later I pulled a bulb and tried to reproduce the issue, and couldn't. Odd.
I would have it checked for a diagnostic failure that might be keeping the ECU awake.
-
No one wants to pay $20k "character flaws" unless it's a Harley. :bow:
-
Yeah, it's a great looking bike, different from all the cruisers out there but I can imagine everyone's admiration quickly turning to "Hey, whats that noise, it's been doing that since you got here, that can't be good, does it do that all night in your garage?
I had a friend with a Buell. After he turned the bike off, the noisy fan would stay on for a few minutes. It was pretty annoying. This sound isn't as bad, kind of sounds electrical and gives off a short beep/honk about every 10 -15 seconds for up to 20 minutes. I'm sure the service response will ultimately be " No worry, they all do that".
-
They all do :laugh:
Dusty
-
I have a vespa 300 that does the same sort of purging/equalizing for a while after hard hot ride.
-
The 1400 Eldorado is thinly disguised as a cruiser. It handles better than the other 1400 Guzzi's.
-
Why don't you find another to look at. They are a really sharp bike. I have a touring and love it but it moans a little after I stop it sometimes. I thought it was the alarm system until I read about the tank vent. The Eldorado you looked at must have a different problem. Don't let this one bike turn you away.
-
I have a vespa 300 that does the same sort of purging/equalizing for a while after hard hot ride.
My Piaggio BV350 does the same thing; must be a family trait.
-
The happy EVAP system on my V7 does it, sometimes more, sometimes less.
It's not a beep, it's a "honk" as we are talking about a goose here...
-
My Audace used to do that but after first service the problem was gone. I have 7K km on the bike now and no more audio effects after the ignition is turn off :grin:
-
As others noted, it is pressure escaping through the EVAP system. That is a big lump that is cooling down under the fuel tank. If you open the gas cap, it will stop for a short period until the pressure builds again and pushes it out. It doesn't take long to reoccur.
It is of no concern and is operating as it should. Other bikes do it as well. Perhaps not as much since a smaller motor cools down sooner.
If the EVAP system were removed and the tank vented to atmosphere, you would never hear that.
I have nothing to say bad about the bike. I love mine. No regrets having bought it.
The dealer ought to know something as simple as this though!
Again, it is not a concern or a fault. It is the system working properly.
John Henry
edit: You could remove the EVAP system, (charcoal canister and vent valves in the lines), and not hear it anymore, but why if it's working correctly?
edit 2: I did read your post. I'll wager it did stop for a very short time, then start again. Don't blame the bike. Blame the EPA!
-
I did remove my evap cannister V7 Special) but left the valve in the vent line from the tank. It still moo's like a cow on a hot day, more so when the tank is not full of gas. Or is it honks?
-
Cam , do the cows in Joisey honk :huh:
Dusty
-
Cam , do the cows in Joisey honk :huh:
Dusty
Yes, and flip their middle hoof.
-
Yes, and flip their middle hoof.
:popcorn:
-
The dealer ought to know something as simple as this though!
Your key work is highlighted! A shame how little is know at many dealerships (yes, many are top notch and on the ball) And those are probably the same ones who cuss at customers who bring in info from the internet.
-
If it has an alarm it's to be disabled. This has been the norm since they came out. It screws up the electrics on the bike. It's supposed to be done at dealer prep. None of Guzzis alarms have ever worked properly.
-
My Eldorado 1400 does that when I stop. It is definitely the gas tank and definitely stops when it cools down. I tell people it is moaning from the thrashing I gave it......
-
My 1400 T only moans when I have a low fuel tank. If it's full when I stop for the day I hear nothing. I'm closing in on 40000 miles and this is the best Guzzi I've ever owned. The Lafranconi slip ons are music to my ears.
:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :grin: :grin: :grin: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
-
The 1400 Eldorado is thinly disguised as a cruiser. It handles better than the other 1400 Guzzi's.
It may handle well but not necessarily better than the other 1400s. Some folks just don't know how to deal with the 200 series tire on the back of some 1400s.
The 1400s are great bikes, rock solid engine, competent electronics, great handling (for a 700 lb bike), comfortable, very reliable. Ride the Audace, the Custom and buy the one that speaks to you.
The 'whale moan' is no big deal. My Custom has been 'moaning' for 16,000 trouble free miles.
-
The 1400 Eldo handles better than the 1400 Cali Custom and 1400 Touring in hairpin turns at higher speeds. The 16" front wheel/tire makes the difference. :thumb:
-
The 1400 Eldo handles better than the 1400 Cali Custom and 1400 Touring in hairpin turns at higher speeds. The 16" front wheel/tire makes the difference. :thumb:
I don't buy it. I'll gladly take on anyone on an Eldorado, as long as their last name isn't Rossi or Marquez.
-
Okay. Obviously, my opinion, the test rides done on back to back rides on all 3 bikes going up to the airport at John Day, OR from the rally site. The road has 3 hairpins on the switchbacks then long sweepers coming down to the highway back to the county fairgrounds.
-
The 1400 Eldorado is thinly disguised as a cruiser. It handles better than the other 1400 Guzzi's.
The bar is so low, it's only a small step to get over it.
(apologies or a Mr P.Keating :huh: )
-
Okay. Obviously, my opinion, the test rides done on back to back rides on all 3 bikes going up to the airport at John Day, OR from the rally site. The road has 3 hairpins on the switchbacks then long sweepers coming down to the highway back to the county fairgrounds.
Ah,
so you don't own a 1400...
-
Ah,
so you don't own a 1400...
Aw come on, so what. 3 back to back test rides probably means more than say 20k on just ONE of those bikes (not saying you haven't ridden the others as I don't know, but the average owner probably hasn't bothered to demo them all anyway).
Not that any of this matters as it probably all boils down to preference anyway.
-
It does make some sense that a smaller front wheel will turn in faster, thus making switch backs easier to navigate, but thats only one aspect of handling. How does each bike do on long fast sweepers, how is extreme breaking, how does each bike deal with road imperfections, the list goes on and on.
-
Well, I don't know as I haven't ridden a Touring or Custom enough to make an educated comparison.
mjptexas: Have you ridden a 1400 Eldorado? If not, then?????
What I can say for certain is I can buy a back tire for my bike that will cost 2/3's that of the T or C rear, and get twice the mileage. :evil:
John Henry
-
Ah,
so you don't own a 1400...
I'lll bite. Have you ridden a 1400 Eldorado? Have you ridden any of the 3 on a hairpin switchback road with decreasing radius turns? Oh....wait a minute. I forgot you're the fastest thing on 2 wheels or 3rd fastest. :grin: :grin: :grin:
-
I'lll bite. Have you ridden a 1400 Eldorado? Have you ridden any of the 3 on a hairpin switchback road with decreasing radius turns? Oh....wait a minute. I forgot you're the fastest thing on 2 wheels or 3rd fastest. :grin: :grin: :grin:
I did a 40 mile ride on the Eldorado shortly after it was released. Route included Lime Creek Road which has many of the similarities you mention including a decreasing radius off camber turn. In all fairness I didn't scrape the floorboards, which I have done with my Cali Custom since I didn't want to mess up a borrowed bike.
Don't get me wrong, the Eldorado is a nice handling bike. I'd seen several posts in the last year talking about how great the Eldorado handles. IMHO the handling differences between the two bikes is modest at best. Simply time to throw my two cents in.
-
I'd seen several posts in the last year talking about how great the Eldorado handles. IMHO the handling differences between the two bikes is modest at best. Simply time to throw my two cents in.
That's fair enough.
And that statement confirms you DO think there IS at least a difference.
So all this boils down to, is what people like us so often waste our time arguing over, simply a subjective manner of degree and perspective of how much we care.
And that's fine, I get it. I truly do.
-
I did a 40 mile ride on the Eldorado shortly after it was released. Route included Lime Creek Road which has many of the similarities you mention including a decreasing radius off camber turn. In all fairness I didn't scrape the floorboards, which I have done with my Cali Custom since I didn't want to mess up a borrowed bike.
Don't get me wrong, the Eldorado is a nice handling bike. I'd seen several posts in the last year talking about how great the Eldorado handles. IMHO the handling differences between the two bikes is modest at best. Simply time to throw my two cents in.
'ey...like I said my opinion only. Don't get me wrong. I like the Cali 1400 Touring and the Custom but the difference in the handling for the 1400 Eldo would make me want to buy it instead of the other 2. I like the looks of the Eldo better too. Retro look. I have 2 Eldo's. '75 & '73.