Wildguzzi.com

General Category => General Discussion => Topic started by: oldbike54 on September 25, 2016, 08:59:06 PM

Title: So long Arnie
Post by: oldbike54 on September 25, 2016, 08:59:06 PM
 I am not a huge fan of golf , but Arnold Palmer was a great gentleman . RIP Arnie .

 Dusty
Title: Re: So long Arnie
Post by: ITSec on September 25, 2016, 09:11:11 PM
Back in the early 60s, I'm told I took swimming lessons in the same class as his daughter (I don't recall, I was very young) - my grandfather (with whom we were living) was a member of the golf club in Ligonier where he was the resident pro. Grandpa always said he was a very pleasant guy and as good a coach as he was a player. He managed to make a success of golf as a business in the years when it changed from a casual sport, and he has to be considered the king of golf's golden age.

Clear skies, smooth greens, and just enough texture to the rough to make it fun, Arnie...
Title: Re: So long Arnie
Post by: keuka4884 on September 25, 2016, 11:24:46 PM
Hit it straight down the middle Arnold Palmer. I always considered golf to be the most difficult sport to play. Arnold in his prime made it look easy. A great gentleman, a great ambassador for golf, a true legend in his sport.

There is a famous picture taken at the sixth tee at the Masters, as I recall, showing Arnold Palmer and Ben Hogan waiting to tee off, both smoking a cigarette.

Then there is the very famous appearance by Winnie Palmer, Arnold's wife, on the Tonight Show. Johnny and Winnie bantered for a while and then Arnold asked her - "Do you do anything special for Arnold before a tournament?"
Without hesitation she said - "why yes I do, I kiss his balls."
Johnny shot back - "well that must make his putter flutter!"   
Title: Re: So long Arnie
Post by: oldbike54 on September 25, 2016, 11:41:41 PM
 While the Palmer/Carson story is oft repeated , and is pretty funny , it never happened , Winnie Palmer wasn't ever on the tonight show . Just one of those urban myths , like some of the stories about things Bob Hope supposedly said to starlets in the 1950's .

 Dusty
Title: Re: So long Arnie
Post by: Sasquatch Jim on September 26, 2016, 12:35:09 AM
  Who will inherit his old tractor?
Title: Re: So long Arnie
Post by: Fuzzy on September 26, 2016, 08:07:46 AM
Golf got really interesting when that upstart Nicklaus came on the scene and challenged Arnie. A great rivalry. Gary Player was also a great golfer at the time but never quite made it into the rivalry. Now, Nicklaus is an ambassador for the sport and Gary Player is an ambassador for being the healthiest guy on the planet.
Title: Re: So long Arnie
Post by: Triple Jim on September 26, 2016, 08:38:33 AM
I always enjoyed watching Arnie hit the ball.  It was inspirational to see such a "bad" swing send the ball down the fairway so well.
Title: Re: So long Arnie
Post by: Arizona Wayne on September 26, 2016, 05:00:05 PM
I watch pro golf almost every weekend of the year.  Don't have the patience to play it but like to watch those that do.   Palmer, Nicklaus, Trevino, all those old guys who play it 'till they drop dead............... it amazes me.  Arnie didn't come from a rich family like many of the others did back in the day.  He lived a long profitable life playng golf.  :thumb:
Title: Re: So long Arnie
Post by: Triple Jim on September 26, 2016, 05:10:22 PM
Palmer, Nicklaus, Trevino, all those old guys who play it 'till they drop dead............... it amazes me.

I played on public courses many times when I was in my 20s, and guys in their 70s would easily beat me.  It doesn't punish players for being old anywhere near as badly as some other activities.
Title: Re: So long Arnie
Post by: Dean Rose on September 26, 2016, 05:17:05 PM
Everyone used to say that Sam Snead had the most natural swing. Someone asked his wife about it and she said what natural swing he practices that all of the time. Sam was distant cousin.

RIP Arnold

Dean
Title: Re: So long Arnie
Post by: apex1397 on September 26, 2016, 06:46:44 PM
I live in Latrobe Pa., Mr Palmers hometown. Besides being an accomplished golfer he is well known for his generosity. From the Arnold Palmer Cancer Pavillion at the local hospital to a nature preserve-education center named for his first wife Winnie. A man from true humble beginnings who became an icon of the sport. Fred Roger's of Mr. Roberts Neighborhood fame is was also from Latrobe. The local paper showed a cartoon by cartoonist Randy Bish showing  Mr Robert's greeting Arnold at the Pearly Gates with the caption "welcome neighbor". A true gentleman of the old school. Not many left.
Title: Re: So long Arnie
Post by: keuka4884 on September 26, 2016, 11:03:06 PM
Re: the Carson/Winnie Palmer appearance. I was a habitual watcher of the tonight Show for many years. I saw the show. It did happen. I couldn't believe Carson said what he did. Must have been a reflexive reaction to the setup. Needless to say it was a long time before any pro golfer appeared on his show again. Arnold was very angry. 
Title: Re: So long Arnie
Post by: PJPR01 on September 27, 2016, 09:28:57 AM
Palmer seemed like a cool guy, I have enjoyed playing many of his courses...one of the nicest is near La Cantera just outside of San Antonio...there's a nice plaque there as a dedication to his wife Winnie.  He always seemed like a guy one could spend a few weeks with easily...easy going, somewhat adventurous and generous. 

Hope you enjoy playing golf in the eternal hereafter!  Hit them long and straight...unless you need to fade or draw it! 
Title: Re: So long Arnie
Post by: Triple Jim on September 27, 2016, 10:41:39 AM
Funny how our memories work.  After many years, we remember memories of the memories, rather than the originals.  After enough years, the memories of memories of memories become like that game in which you whisper a phrase to the guy next to you, and he passes it on, and after 25 people, it's a completely different phrase.  I've visited places I remembered from when I was young, and was shocked to see that things were very different from the way I was sure they had been.
Title: Re: So long Arnie
Post by: ITSec on September 27, 2016, 12:26:02 PM
Funny how our memories work.  After many years, we remember memories of the memories, rather than the originals.  After enough years, the memories of memories of memories become like that game in which you whisper a phrase to the guy next to you, and he passes it on, and after 25 people, it's a completely different phrase.  I've visited places I remembered from when I was young, and was shocked to see that things were very different from the way I was sure they had been.

Well said. My memory aid for such things (unless they're political) is Snopes - I find it frequently better remembers things (though not always as positively) than I do.  :laugh:
Title: Re: So long Arnie
Post by: oldbike54 on September 27, 2016, 01:59:29 PM
Well said. My memory aid for such things (unless they're political) is Snopes - I find it frequently better remembers things (though not always as positively) than I do.  :laugh:

 Yep , and according to Snopes the famous Carson/Mrs Palmer exchange never happened  :laugh:

 I do seem to remember being much better looking , and way faster in my youth , wonder what Snopes has to say about that  :rolleyes:

 Dusty
Title: Re: So long Arnie
Post by: Lannis on September 27, 2016, 02:02:52 PM
Funny how our memories work.  After many years, we remember memories of the memories, rather than the originals.  After enough years, the memories of memories of memories become like that game in which you whisper a phrase to the guy next to you, and he passes it on, and after 25 people, it's a completely different phrase.  I've visited places I remembered from when I was young, and was shocked to see that things were very different from the way I was sure they had been.

Funny you should notice that - I've noticed exactly the same thing with bikers breaking people's windshields ....  :wink:

Lannis