Wildguzzi.com
General Category => General Discussion => Topic started by: britman on October 21, 2016, 09:59:12 PM
-
Maybe a better title would be, what I have learned the "hard way" so far with my 2000 Pearl Bassa. Of course being the dutiful new owner the first thing I did was check the transmission and gear box oil. Supposedly the bike had a full service less than a hundred miles prior to being placed on consignment. Pulled the oil level plug on the trans and nothing, not a drop came out. Went to the bevel box, when the level plug was pulled the blackest substance from the bowels of hell came forth. Assuming the worst, I surmised the transmission was in all probability low and the rear drive must have never been changed. Drained them both, of course I found the tip on using aluminum foil on the rear wheel to direct flow to the pan after draining. After all of this I decided to spend some time with the "Guzziology " book by Dave Richardson. (Luckily a copy came with the purchase of the bike.) Measuring the transmission oil that came out clean as new, I found it to be just a shade under 750cc. The snot of Satan from the rear drive was just under 250cc. I then read the part about ADDING MOLY. Of course I had to order a bottle from MG Cycle, not a drop in my local auto part stores to be found. I used Lucas 80/90 weight gear oil in both, with the 20 cc's of moly in the rear box. Another valuable lesson learned, do not try and fill the rear with the level plug out, hell of a mess. All was OK after a re-drain(used aluminium foil this time) and new mixed batch applied. I filled the transmission with 750cc and again nothing out of the level plug. I decided to fill until oil appeared, and I was surprised at the added amount it took. I thought all was right with world, so a test ride was in order. When I pulled back into the garage and there was a small gear oil leak at the rear of the trans. The bike had been bone dry until I elected to the change the brand new gear oil, so I did some research here and found allot owners just pour the 750cc's and walk away, even Mr. Richardson is not a big fan of level plugs I discovered. Damn, I must have over filled the unit. Re-drain and prescribed amount entered, not a cc more. Another test ride and I was back to where I started, fresh treated gear oil in the bevel box and transmission with no leaks. The motor oil looks clean and on the mark, and I am damn sure leaving it alone until a winter service. This machine I will have to admit is different from any bike that has entered my garage, and there have been many of all brands over the years. After I pay off the gear oil bill I am going to enjoy adding a few touches here and there to make it my own. I have located a set of black plastic throttle body covers from Ebay that worked with a little creative trimming since the chrome ones were long gone and no longer available. The bike is a true joy to ride and draws a crowd where ever it is parked. She is a keeper, and BTW her name is Snowflake........
(http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s310/britman1/DSC02939_zpsv0xsn6zx.jpg) (http://s155.photobucket.com/user/britman1/media/DSC02939_zpsv0xsn6zx.jpg.html)
-
I wouldn't feel to bad. At least you KNOW it right now! :thumb:
-
You found out the hard way, don't touch the level plugs again. Just pour in the prescribed amount of oil in each. The dark black color in the rear drive is normal if moly has been added to the oil. BTW, only 3 quarts of oil needed in the engine sump. Don't overfill that either.
-
Ah, I remember using my leveler plugs in the eighties on my Eldo. Imagine my shock when I came here this century and found that was not correct practice.
My bike is your bike's older sister by one year. Please let Snowflake know that Josie said hello.
Welcome to the family. "Snot of Satan indeed" ...
How many miles on Snowflake, and what make of saddle bags are those ?
-
To start with, welcome.
Glad you got the oil issue sorted out!! I have always filled my oldies to the level plug. Like normzone said, might have to rethink that for my Cali.
Good lookin' bike! But i think I would have OCD if I owned an all white/pearl bike. :wink:
Enjoy,
Tom
-
Ah, I remember using my leveler plugs in the eighties on my Eldo. Imagine my shock when I came here this century and found that was not correct practice.
My bike is your bike's older sister by one year. Please let Snowflake know that Josie said hello.
Welcome to the family. "Snot of Satan indeed" ...
How many miles on Snowflake, and what make of saddle bags are those ?
Norm.
Bike has a shade under 12K on the clock and the saddlebags are certainly not OEM and aftermarket. I do not know the brand but they do come off easily and seem to be of good quality.
Tom,
I always swore I would never own a white motorcycle, but what can you say other than never say never. The pearl does kind of grow on you. I work for an automotive paint supplier and mix paint daily through the week. The factory must have brought in pearl powder by 55 gallon drums for this color.
Upon checking this am I do find several drops of gear oil under Snowflake. I am going to live with it to see if it might still be a tad overfilled and heals itself. If not no big deal, you are talking about a guy who has owned numerous old Triumphs, they always mark their territory.....
-
Maybe a better title would be, what I have learned the "hard way" so far with my 2000 Pearl Bassa.
***
The snot of Satan from the rear drive ...
***
The bike is a true joy to ride and draws a crowd where ever it is parked. She is a keeper, and BTW her name is Snowflake........
***
Like that satanic line. :evil: :laugh:
Yes, indeed re joy.
As for "Snowflake," be advised that all owners' names for Guzzis have to be submitted to a committee here for approval, so I recommend you not airbrush that on just yet. :grin:
Oh, apropos your follow-on post re bags, see http://www.nationalcycle.com/cruiseliner-hd.html
Congrats.
Bill
-
Sounds to me like the previous owner serviced it properly, and you caused yourself some grief.. :smiley:
That said, my new to me Monza is the first used bike that I didn't have to do *anything* to. :thumb:
-
Just as an FYI, your bike came with throttle body covers when new. They would have been chrome plastic. Evidently they have been removed or lost somewhere along the way.
John Henry
-
Just one comment on your post. If I read it correctly you said that you checked the engine oil & it is on the mark & you will leave it alone.
Every Guzzi I have owned & currently own will drop the oil level to about 1/2 way between the marks & stay there until the next oil change.
This is normal, when it drops to that 1/2 way point don't put in more oil but for peace of mind keep checking it just to make sure it does not drop any lower.
Beauty of a bike & Mille, The Grizz & Jake the Jackal say HI to snowflake.
-
You can make a set of stainless steel one from one of these.
https://www.google.com/webhp?hl=en&tab=mw#hl=en&q=stainless+steel+emesis+basin
Cut it in half and trim the lip off and you have a left and right one.
Dean
-
^^^^^ Now *that* is Guzzi content. :smiley:
-
Thanks Dean! Good excuse to replace the plastic ones :boozing: :thewife:
-
Every Guzzi I have owned & currently own will drop the oil level to about 1/2 way between the marks & stay there until the next oil change.
This is normal, when it drops to that 1/2 way point don't put in more oil but for peace of mind keep checking it just to make sure it does not drop any lower.
So true. That's why I only put in 3 quarts of oil in a big block, not the recommended 3+. They like to find their own level.
-
Oil drama or not, that's a nice looking bike.
-
Britman,
The OCD or not, I did intend to say that pearl is a very good looking color!! Wish I could do one! Every time I see dirt on my white Eldo/Ambo fenders, I want to wipe it off. I'm not a clean freak, just bugs me :smiley:
Tom