Wildguzzi.com
General Category => General Discussion => Topic started by: Gliderjohn on November 06, 2016, 07:08:10 PM
-
I have two 80s vintage Hein Gericke leather jackets in good condition and nicely broken in. My go to one is a good, slightly snug fit and the other is bigger and a much looser fit. My question is could they possibly be fitted for modern armor in some way? Love the jackets and would like to continue using them.
GliderJohn
-
It's one of those " how much money do you want to spend ? " questions.
I've repurposed many items on the sewing machine, but in the end it will come down to
how much do you want to rely on old materials
how much are you willing to pay a sewing professional to enable you
Generally cost outweighs desire.
-
Combine it with Bohn UnderArmor ?
-
:1:
-
+1 on Bohn Armor. Take a look at their website. Lots of options, i.e. Tops, Bottoms, seasonal. Good folks. Good stuff.
The Bohn system keeps the armor close to your body and correctly positioned. Anything short of a race suit typically compromises your protection because the armor is displaced during a get-off. R3~
-
If you have a Cal II and especially a Paris Dakar in excellent cond., they are worth about twice what you paid for them. :thumb:
-
Neither jacket indicates what model they are. Both are the same styles with a snap in liner, mesh and zippered front and back vents. 1980s vintage. I can ride comfortably up to the mid 80s with the vents open.
GliderJohn
-
Like this?
(http://thumb.ibb.co/dCbPLa/IMG_1408.jpg) (http://ibb.co/dCbPLa)
(http://thumb.ibb.co/jMCLtv/IMG_1409.jpg) (http://ibb.co/jMCLtv)
image
upload (http://imgbb.com/)
-
Nope, those are not it twowings. Yours do not show the vents.
GliderJohn
-
I bought that jacket in 1977...I was so poor at the time I'm sure it's a bottom-of-the-line model... I looked pretty hip wearing it riding my XS750 Yammerhammer, naturally...:grin:
-
Lots of Aerostich armour comes in, or can be fitted with, fabric pockets that attach to the inside of jackets and pants with hook-and-loop (aka Velcro). I expect it'd be relatively easy for someone to sew pockets for any kind of armour you want to buy, and there's lots of it out there, to be attached that way. My personal favourite armour material is D3O (that's Dee-3-Oh if you're searching in vain for Dee-3-Zero).
-
I would go the underwear route.
The simplest way for a tailor to fit the armor would be to make a 'liner' that had pockets for the armor. Yes, it could be made of mesh, or, have two made. One mesh for summer and one insulated for winter.