Wildguzzi.com

General Category => General Discussion => Topic started by: JeffOlson on November 10, 2016, 02:22:40 PM

Title: Firearms: Pistol vs. Shotgun vs. ?
Post by: JeffOlson on November 10, 2016, 02:22:40 PM
Which do you most enjoy and why?

I like how easy it is to carry and point a pistol, as well as how many rounds it can hold. However, I much prefer shooting a shotgun. A shotgun seems quieter than a pistol (perhaps because the opening of the barrel is so much further from my ears), and it is easier for me to hit a target (probably because I am a bad shot, and a scatter gun is more likely to hit something). Plus, I just like how shotguns look and feel. They just feel right.

How about you?

PS: I am planning on getting an over-under shotgun someday if I can save a few coins here and there.
Title: Re: Firearms: Pistol vs. Shotgun vs. ?
Post by: Demar on November 10, 2016, 02:49:51 PM
They are all fun. I do like shooting clay targets with a shotgun.
Title: Re: Firearms: Pistol vs. Shotgun vs. ?
Post by: drlapo on November 10, 2016, 02:58:01 PM
I shoot trap skeet and sporting clays 4 days a week so I prefer shotguns.  I have 12 shotguns including over unders, side by side and pump.  I prefer the over under guns.
Look for an older Japanese made SKB 585. Very well made well balanced and should be just under$1000.
Title: Re: Firearms: Pistol vs. Shotgun vs. ?
Post by: JeffOlson on November 10, 2016, 03:18:10 PM
I haven't tried trap, skeet, or clays, but I'd like to. I have been thinking about getting a portable clay launcher and setting it up in my back yard (on a farm, so no worries about complaining neighbors--because they are all armed anyway!)
Title: Re: Firearms: Pistol vs. Shotgun vs. ?
Post by: Lannis on November 10, 2016, 04:33:04 PM
Guns are really tools for me, meant for hunting, competing, self-defense, etc.

I mean I have fun with them, but I make sure that I buy the right tool for the job I need to do.

If I'm trying to put meat on the table from a hide a long way from the meat, then my favorite is a rifle.   If I'm trying to break more clays than the other guy, or put a dove or rabbit in my pocket, then a shotgun is the tool of the day.   If I'm planning to be able to potentially defend myself outdoors or in town somewhere, then I'm happy with a pistol that will hide in my pocket or holster ....

My favorite kind of motorcycle is the kind that brings me home every time I go out.   My favorite guns sort of go that way too ....

Lannis
Title: Re: Firearms: Pistol vs. Shotgun vs. ?
Post by: Gliderjohn on November 10, 2016, 05:03:22 PM
I prefer handguns, especially revolvers. They always present a bit of a challenge and keep one honest. Rifles are fun but kind of boring unless going for extended ranges. Shotguns have never treated me well. Seems like proper fit has a lot to do with it. For years I struggled with a Remington 870 then moved on to an Ithaca 37 with a bit shorter stock and totally different balance and I improved some immediately although a long ways from good.
GliderJohn
Title: Re: Firearms: Pistol vs. Shotgun vs. ?
Post by: LowRyter on November 10, 2016, 06:03:53 PM
I prefer a shotgun when bird hunting...

I am just bad at it with a handgun.  Actually terrible.
Title: Re: Firearms: Pistol vs. Shotgun vs. ?
Post by: Perazzimx14 on November 10, 2016, 06:25:54 PM
I love shotguns. Hands down my favorite type of firearm.
Title: Re: Firearms: Pistol vs. Shotgun vs. ?
Post by: Sasquatch Jim on November 10, 2016, 06:34:45 PM
 I like an old British double barrel Howda pistol in .58 cal.
 It can be loaded with a giant bullet or a load of shot of your preference.
Nineteenth century Brit officers used them a last ditch protection when hunting tigers in India.
 With that kind of power they are very effective as self defense.  One or both barrels at close range
are a real detriment to an attacker.  I believe that replicas are available in .58 cal. muzzle loaded, and .45/70
cartridge breach loaded.  Either is a powerful weapon handled by one or both hands.
Title: Re: Firearms: Pistol vs. Shotgun vs. ?
Post by: Chuck in Indiana on November 10, 2016, 06:50:35 PM
Well, guns have always been tools to me. Just the same, I like the challenge of handguns. There is a *lot* of hand/eye coordination involved to consistently put them in the black. Not to mention reloading to find just the load that the particular firearm likes. <shrug> Just the other day, I was frustrated with my .357. I'd been trying different loads, and spraying boolits in a 4 inch pattern.  :rolleyes: Gave up, changed powder, and all of a sudden there were 4 touching each other and another within a half inch. There is some gratification involved there. "If you don't understand, "  :wink:  :smiley:
Title: Re: Firearms: Pistol vs. Shotgun vs. ?
Post by: Demar on November 10, 2016, 06:56:18 PM
Well, guns have always been tools to me. Just the same, I like the challenge of handguns. There is a *lot* of hand/eye coordination involved to consistently put them in the black. Not to mention reloading to find just the load that the particular firearm likes. <shrug> Just the other day, I was frustrated with my .357. I'd been trying different loads, and spraying boolits in a 4 inch pattern.  :rolleyes: Gave up, changed powder, and all of a sudden there were 4 touching each other and another within a half inch. There is some gratification involved there. "If you don't understand, "  :wink:  :smiley:

What powder? I like Unique.
Title: Re: Firearms: Pistol vs. Shotgun vs. ?
Post by: Chuck in Indiana on November 10, 2016, 07:00:43 PM
It *was* Unique.  :smiley:
Title: Re: Firearms: Pistol vs. Shotgun vs. ?
Post by: Demar on November 10, 2016, 07:01:59 PM
It *was* Unique.  :smiley:

It's good stuff.  :thumb:
Title: Re: Firearms: Pistol vs. Shotgun vs. ?
Post by: Chuck in Indiana on November 10, 2016, 07:06:29 PM
There's probably a reason it's been around for a hundred years or so.  :smiley:
Title: Re: Firearms: Pistol vs. Shotgun vs. ?
Post by: Gliderjohn on November 10, 2016, 07:47:18 PM
Unique works well for me, just a bit dirty. Use it in .38sp, .357 mag, & .45 Colt. However when I bought an Uberti El Patron in .45 Colt I also bought a couple boxes of Mag Tech loads. The picture is Mag Tech 230 gr. This was my first five shots with the Uberti new straight out of the box. 50', two hand free hold. I am pleased.
(http://i710.photobucket.com/albums/ww107/jpeters16/DSCN0023.jpg) (http://s710.photobucket.com/user/jpeters16/media/DSCN0023.jpg.html)
(http://i710.photobucket.com/albums/ww107/jpeters16/DSCN0025.jpg) (http://s710.photobucket.com/user/jpeters16/media/DSCN0025.jpg.html)
GliderJohn
Title: Re: Firearms: Pistol vs. Shotgun vs. ?
Post by: Farmer Dan on November 10, 2016, 08:12:34 PM
I have a Browning A5 12guage with a 12 round magazine tube, that is fun to shot targets with.  For all around "fun to shoot" my favorite is my Thompson M1.  I use wheel guns for defense and hunting.
Title: Re: Firearms: Pistol vs. Shotgun vs. ?
Post by: charlie b on November 10, 2016, 09:16:11 PM
I've had many and shot many others.  If I could afford it I'd get a Class III license and a few full auto guns.  But, I am not that wealthy  :)   I was 'lucky' and inherited several very unique firearms which are fun to shoot.

Favorite depends on what I am doing at the time. 

My shotgun is a weird one, 1920's French Charlin 24ga double.  Cool little gun and I can do OK on the skeet or clays range with it.  If you get serious at clay pigeons then a good over/under is the ticket.  It is not a cheap sport so a good reloading setup will pay for itself in a few months (that applies to just about any shooting if done a lot).

For rifle range I have an M1 Garand I like to shoot.  Pistol range is a mixed bag, .22, .32ACP, .357, .45 and an original .30 Mauser.  My next will be a traditional muzzle loader (I have had several, but sold them).

I can't claim any as a favorite as I love shooting all of them.

And, I also shoot longbow and recurve.

FWIW, the bows are so much less expensive to shoot so they get used much more than the firearms.

So, preference of pistol, rifle or shotgun?  I'd pick a pistol.  Easier to find a range and ammo is cheaper (relatively).
Title: Re: Firearms: Pistol vs. Shotgun vs. ?
Post by: LowRyter on November 10, 2016, 11:27:10 PM
I have a Browning A5 12guage with a 12 round magazine tube, that is fun to shot targets with.  For all around "fun to shoot" my favorite is my Thompson M1.  I use wheel guns for defense and hunting.

dang,  you have a Tommy Gun?
Title: Re: Firearms: Pistol vs. Shotgun vs. ?
Post by: LowRyter on November 10, 2016, 11:31:55 PM
I've had many and shot many others.  If I could afford it I'd get a Class III license and a few full auto guns.  But, I am not that wealthy  :)   I was 'lucky' and inherited several very unique firearms which are fun to shoot.

Favorite depends on what I am doing at the time. 

My shotgun is a weird one, 1920's French Charlin 24ga double.  Cool little gun and I can do OK on the skeet or clays range with it.  If you get serious at clay pigeons then a good over/under is the ticket.  It is not a cheap sport so a good reloading setup will pay for itself in a few months (that applies to just about any shooting if done a lot).

For rifle range I have an M1 Garand I like to shoot.  Pistol range is a mixed bag, .22, .32ACP, .357, .45 and an original .30 Mauser.  My next will be a traditional muzzle loader (I have had several, but sold them).

I can't claim any as a favorite as I love shooting all of them.

And, I also shoot longbow and recurve.

FWIW, the bows are so much less expensive to shoot so they get used much more than the firearms.

So, preference of pistol, rifle or shotgun?  I'd pick a pistol.  Easier to find a range and ammo is cheaper (relatively).

I have a feeling most of us with guns have inherited them.  In fact, I don't know anyone that has had guns all their lives that think of them as protection as much as tools.

Perhaps another topic would be what guns have you inherited?  Which one is your favorite? 
Title: Re: Firearms: Pistol vs. Shotgun vs. ?
Post by: Farmer Dan on November 11, 2016, 02:00:54 AM
dang,  you have a Tommy Gun?
Ran into some money last year so I figured I would get my self something nice for christmas.  I reload all my own ammo so cost is not much of a problem. 1,000 rounds don't last very long though LOL but it sure is fun
Title: Re: Firearms: Pistol vs. Shotgun vs. ?
Post by: Doppelgaenger on November 11, 2016, 02:27:20 AM
Favorite gun to shoot has been a Springfield. I could hit anything i wanted with that rifle, even with very little shooting experience. the 1911 is also up there on the list.
Title: Re: Firearms: Pistol vs. Shotgun vs. ?
Post by: JoeB on November 11, 2016, 05:17:17 AM
Whelen said only accurate rifles are interesting. I find making firearms accurate interesting. I enjoy reloading and tinkering probably more than I do shooting. Guzzi content, extra satisfaction if I find a cheaper, I mean frugal way to do something.
Title: Re: Firearms: Pistol vs. Shotgun vs. ?
Post by: Rough Edge racing on November 11, 2016, 05:55:20 AM
  I don't care for shooting shotguns unless there's no better tool for the job.... With firearms I prefer a small bore hand gun for making holes in paper....
  But I enjoy my Barnett Commando crossbow the most..
Title: Re: Firearms: Pistol vs. Shotgun vs. ?
Post by: charlie b on November 11, 2016, 06:32:39 AM
Ran into some money last year so I figured I would get my self something nice for christmas.  I reload all my own ammo so cost is not much of a problem. 1,000 rounds don't last very long though LOL but it sure is fun

Fun.  The Thompson and MP5 are my picks for sub guns.  Another sub that was fun to shoot, but ugly as sin, was the Grease Gun.  One of my sergeants had a Thompson in VN.  He didn't have to carry it though.  It had a spot on top of his tank turret  :)
Title: Re: Firearms: Pistol vs. Shotgun vs. ?
Post by: charlie b on November 11, 2016, 06:38:21 AM
I have a feeling most of us with guns have inherited them.  In fact, I don't know anyone that has had guns all their lives that think of them as protection as much as tools.

Perhaps another topic would be what guns have you inherited?  Which one is your favorite? 

I only mention that part cause I didn't have to buy those guns.  I certainly did not have the money to spend for a Python or Mauser C96.  But, they are really fun to shoot.

Maybe the topic should be favorite guns I got for free or next to nothing?

I do have to point out, that when I was reloading a lot, revolvers were more fun to shoot that semi-autos for one reason.  The brass wasn't spread out across (and in front of) the firing line  :)  And another vote for Unique gun powder.  But, I use AA powders as much as I can in pistols.  They burn cleaner and flow better in the powder measures.

charlie
Title: Re: Firearms: Pistol vs. Shotgun vs. ?
Post by: JeffOlson on November 11, 2016, 08:35:36 AM
I do have to point out, that when I was reloading a lot, revolvers were more fun to shoot that semi-autos for one reason.  The brass wasn't spread out across (and in front of) the firing line  :)...

charlie

That is a good point. That bothers me, too, especially since most of my shooting is in my back yard and I like to pick up my trash.
Title: Re: Firearms: Pistol vs. Shotgun vs. ?
Post by: Sasquatch Jim on November 11, 2016, 08:51:05 AM
 Unique is a good accurate powder in my various .45 ACP pistols but it does dirty them up some.
 I eventually settled on Bullseye for .45 ACP.
  I used to shoot about 500 rounds a week in .45 but now I haven't shot a pistol or any other firearm in 8 or nine years.
Title: Re: Firearms: Pistol vs. Shotgun vs. ?
Post by: Perazzimx14 on November 11, 2016, 09:13:11 AM
That is a good point. That bothers me, too, especially since most of my shooting is in my back yard and I like to pick up my trash.

Another beautiful thing with a double barrel shotgun is you can eject the shells right into your hand or even lighten the ejector springs so that they only lift the shells and you pick them out.

Title: Re: Firearms: Pistol vs. Shotgun vs. ?
Post by: charlie b on November 11, 2016, 09:50:56 AM
Another beautiful thing with a double barrel shotgun is you can eject the shells right into your hand or even lighten the ejector springs so that they only lift the shells and you pick them out.



I removed the ejectors on my Charlin for that reason.  Breech slides back and I can just pick out the fired case(s).  Especially important for me since all the 24ga shells are all brass and not cheap  :)
Title: Re: Firearms: Pistol vs. Shotgun vs. ?
Post by: LowRyter on November 11, 2016, 09:53:08 AM
I only mention that part cause I didn't have to buy those guns.  I certainly did not have the money to spend for a Python or Mauser C96.  But, they are really fun to shoot.

Maybe the topic should be favorite guns I got for free or next to nothing?

I do have to point out, that when I was reloading a lot, revolvers were more fun to shoot that semi-autos for one reason.  The brass wasn't spread out across (and in front of) the firing line  :)  And another vote for Unique gun powder.  But, I use AA powders as much as I can in pistols.  They burn cleaner and flow better in the powder measures.

charlie
I inherited my Dad's Browning Sweet 16 and my Grampa's Savage 12 ga (kicks like a mule).  I've never shot the Browning.  Don't know anyone with a hunting lease.  Might try some clays .... just never thought about it.
Title: Re: Firearms: Pistol vs. Shotgun vs. ?
Post by: drlapo on November 11, 2016, 11:53:17 AM
Shooting clays is addictive. I have already shot 300 rounds this week and will shoot trap tomorrow +100.
I also have a pair of colt pythons.  Great pistols but I prefer breaking clays.
Title: Re: Firearms: Pistol vs. Shotgun vs. ?
Post by: JeffOlson on November 11, 2016, 01:42:21 PM
Breaking clays looks like great fun! I plan to start doing that soon (or at least trying to do so!).
Title: Re: Firearms: Pistol vs. Shotgun vs. ?
Post by: Sheepdog on November 11, 2016, 02:55:31 PM
Shotguns and sidearms are great, but my favorite is a high-powered rifle. It's more accurate, shoots further, and hits harder than the others and they're available in nearly uncountable configurations. When I was an agent we used to say, "I carry a pistol to help me get to my rifle..." Unless I'm hunting birds or trying to carry discreetly, a rifle will always be my choice.
Title: Re: Firearms: Pistol vs. Shotgun vs. ?
Post by: Sasquatch Jim on November 11, 2016, 04:00:46 PM
  I used to shoot clays with a Thompson contender pistol with a .410 barrel with a choke.
 I nearly always got 4 out of 5 and sometimes 5 out of 5.  Barrel was chambered for 3 inch .410.
 Clays with trap loads were fun.  If hunting something that might bite, I could buy cartridges that held
 three .410 bullets that were straight sided and flat front and back.  For that ammo I just unscrewed the choke and the barrel
 rifling did what it was supposed to do.  Or I could load it with .45 long colt.
Title: Re: Firearms: Pistol vs. Shotgun vs. ?
Post by: Green1000S on November 11, 2016, 05:36:01 PM

Neither.

Of all the guns I have owned, I like most the Sako TRG-22 sniper rifle.
You can take your time, relax and enjoy slooooow shooting.
Title: Re: Firearms: Pistol vs. Shotgun vs. ?
Post by: Chuck in Indiana on November 11, 2016, 05:56:00 PM
Neither.

Of all the guns I have owned, I like most the Sako TRG-22 sniper rifle.
You can take your time, relax and enjoy slooooow shooting.

Yeah, I used to do bench rest muzzle loading stuff. Same idea. Cast your own balls..  :evil: :smiley: measure the wind, etc.
It's all good..
Title: Re: Firearms: Pistol vs. Shotgun vs. ?
Post by: poorBob on November 11, 2016, 08:15:24 PM
How about pistol AND shotgun? https://bondarms.com
Title: Re: Firearms: Pistol vs. Shotgun vs. ?
Post by: Lannis on November 13, 2016, 10:28:41 PM
My brother and two sons and I spent a fun afternoon at a gun auction today.

About 100 shotguns and a few miscellaneous guns from a local collection were for sale.   A 90-year-old Navy veteran owned the collection and was selling out, and was sitting on the stage with the auctioneers watching the action.   About 250 bidders.

The first gun up was a Verletti M78 10 x 42R.   Nobody knew what the thing was; I sure didn't until I came home and looked it up - it's a 19th century blackpowder breechloading (bolt) rimfire rifle.   I have no idea where you'd get ammo for it.   Went for $275.

About 25 Belgian Browning A5s, from the first issue to the 1970s.   The 12 gauges went for about $900 each - the "Sweet Sixteen" 16 gauges for $1800 average each, and the 20 gauges for about the same.

Another 25 Parker doubles ranging from Damascus barrels to late models were up.   The 12 gauges for about $1000 each, and the smaller gauges at least twice that.   For some reason, the 16, 20, 28, and .410 gauge Parker doubles were extremely popular, some going for $4000 and more.

The old fellow they were selling for netted about $90,000 ... and we had a good time bidding (up to a point) and guessing what they would go for .... People seem to be in a good mood and ready to turn loose some money, because there were NO bargains to be "snapped up" ..

Lannis

Title: Re: Firearms: Pistol vs. Shotgun vs. ?
Post by: JJ on November 14, 2016, 10:55:52 AM
When you want to see the close range effectiveness of a shotgun...watch the movie with the late great King of Cool, Steve McQueen..."The Getaway!" :wink:
Title: Re: Firearms: Pistol vs. Shotgun vs. ?
Post by: rocker59 on November 14, 2016, 11:32:48 AM
When you want to see the close range effectiveness of a shotgun...watch the movie with the late great King of Cool, Steve McQueen..."The Getaway!" :wink:

Because Hollywood is always so accurate in its depictions...   :wink:
Title: Re: Firearms: Pistol vs. Shotgun vs. ?
Post by: SaskMick on November 14, 2016, 12:33:06 PM
K31 long range accuracy.

(https://scontent-yyz1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/13769353_1643916092592455_2693264730026875045_n.jpg?oh=4cf13f482fee2e4485881525279a7fdd&oe=5890C7BC)

Medium range practicality

 (https://scontent-yyz1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/13509103_1630616703922394_3086245669038111352_n.jpg?oh=9ea2834ccdb74ce8c03069030258e069&oe=58C39360)

For when things get serious

(https://scontent-yyz1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/13393942_1627083347609063_6912033961446374327_n.jpg?oh=545c2d6db456ad8eaf232ba2adde3dfa&oe=588FFA06)

Just because I can  :wink:

(https://scontent-yyz1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/13450755_1627091184274946_5828394991983231214_n.jpg?oh=7f66625b959a1d03a394b84c6d23c72f&oe=58C772E9)
Title: Re: Firearms: Pistol vs. Shotgun vs. ?
Post by: Lannis on November 14, 2016, 01:00:00 PM
You sure you're a real Canadian?   I hear (from other sources including WG threads) that Canadians just don't DO these kinds of things!

Be that as it may, that's a nice collection of practical defense weaponry!   Looks like you've got some wide-open spaces to practice in, too ....

Lannis
Title: Re: Firearms: Pistol vs. Shotgun vs. ?
Post by: SaskMick on November 14, 2016, 01:12:46 PM
I'm sure.  ... I am also English, I have dual citizenship.   They just don't do those things in England because they are not allowed, but in my part of Canada lot's of people do.   I have taken it a bit further than most, I make them too :grin:

(https://scontent-yyz1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/13445661_1627092584274806_1936623087015317797_n.jpg?oh=b4769bee877595e390045bf0d4abad3b&oe=58C08AAF)
Title: Re: Firearms: Pistol vs. Shotgun vs. ?
Post by: JesterGrin_1 on November 14, 2016, 01:14:21 PM
 Well since we have lived in South TEXAS for a few generations firearms tend to be a hammer or as some say a tool. Heck we are pretty much born with them or to say now a days were. Things have sure changed due to the influx of people from other places.

 But like others have said it all depends on the job at hand and or the expected job that may jump up as to which firearm is the chosen type.

 But I also mess with it probably more than the average person as I not only reload but cast my own projectiles for both pistol and rifle. But for rifle I tend to use larger calibers such as the 35 Remington,358 Winchester and of course the 35 Whelen Ackley Improved. And the tried and true 45-70 Government. :)

 Due to my age and what I grew up with I prefer a single action Ruger and or a Double Action Smith. The .357 Mag is a nice caliber but for pistols I far prefer the little wheezer .44 Mag. :)
Title: Re: Firearms: Pistol vs. Shotgun vs. ?
Post by: Rich A on November 14, 2016, 01:41:07 PM
I recently got a Remington XP-100 (handgun) in 221 Fireball that is fun and accurate.

Rich A
Title: Re: Firearms: Pistol vs. Shotgun vs. ?
Post by: JJ on November 14, 2016, 03:10:12 PM
Because Hollywood is always so accurate in its depictions...   :wink:

Agree...Hollywood is usually not accurate about ANYTHING...but watch this and you tell me...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDlNIPCirLk
Title: Re: Firearms: Pistol vs. Shotgun vs. ?
Post by: Lannis on November 14, 2016, 03:13:59 PM
Agree...Hollywood is usually not accurate about ANYTHING...but watch this and you tell me...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDlNIPCirLk

The guy with the submachine gun must have learned "bullet multiplication" from the Lone Ranger, who could shoot up to 14 bullets from a six-shot revolver without reloading.

I think I counted about 70 shots from that 30-round mag.

And breaking 1" steel elevator cables with lead shot ... ?   Possibly one of the most UNrealistic gunfight scenes ever ...  :boxing:

And it's not just the mechanics of gunfire.   The hired bad guys would NOT keep fighting into huge odds.  I mean, there's 6 or 7 of them.   If TWO of them were down due to the unerring accuracy of the hero, the rest would be hightailing it for the hills.   They wouldn't be fighting to the last man, they're not Davy Crockett, they're hired bullies.

It's like a Steven Segal movie.   He walks into a bar with 20 tough guys in it that have been messing with his people, whoever they are.   The first big guy comes up with a knife, and Segal disarms him and de-nuts him in 1 second.   Then 4 big guys come at him with brass knuckles and chairs, and he cold-cocks all of them, motionless on the floor.   Then 5 big guys come at him with guns and clubs, and he whirls around like a hurricane and puts them all out the window or down on the floor.

So there's 10 armed big guys, all bloody and motionless on the floor.  Segal hasn't even broken a sweat.   In the real world, that bar would be EMPTY, you'd see nothing but arseholes and elbows as everyone beat feet the other way as hard as they could go.

But noooo ... The NEXT big guy comes up with a pool cue and says "I guess we're going to have to teach you outsiders not to mess with cowboys (or oil men, or truck drivers)", and just comes at him swinging.   I mean, he's SEEN him take all these guys out while cracking dry jokes, and he just comes up and threatens him and takes a swing.

I haven't been everywhere, but I've been enough places to know that it doesn't work like that ... !

Lannis
Title: Re: Firearms: Pistol vs. Shotgun vs. ?
Post by: JJ on November 14, 2016, 04:24:01 PM
The guy with the submachine gun must have learned "bullet multiplication" from the Lone Ranger, who could shoot up to 14 bullets from a six-shot revolver without reloading.

I think I counted about 70 shots from that 30-round mag.

And breaking 1" steel elevator cables with lead shot ... ?   Possibly one of the most UNrealistic gunfight scenes ever ...  :boxing:

And it's not just the mechanics of gunfire.   The hired bad guys would NOT keep fighting into huge odds.  I mean, there's 6 or 7 of them.   If TWO of them were down due to the unerring accuracy of the hero, the rest would be hightailing it for the hills.   They wouldn't be fighting to the last man, they're not Davy Crockett, they're hired bullies.

It's like a Steven Segal movie.   He walks into a bar with 20 tough guys in it that have been messing with his people, whoever they are.   The first big guy comes up with a knife, and Segal disarms him and de-nuts him in 1 second.   Then 4 big guys come at him with brass knuckles and chairs, and he cold-cocks all of them, motionless on the floor.   Then 5 big guys come at him with guns and clubs, and he whirls around like a hurricane and puts them all out the window or down on the floor.

So there's 10 armed big guys, all bloody and motionless on the floor.  Segal hasn't even broken a sweat.   In the real world, that bar would be EMPTY, you'd see nothing but arseholes and elbows as everyone beat feet the other way as hard as they could go.

But noooo ... The NEXT big guy comes up with a pool cue and says "I guess we're going to have to teach you outsiders not to mess with cowboys (or oil men, or truck drivers)", and just comes at him swinging.   I mean, he's SEEN him take all these guys out while cracking dry jokes, and he just comes up and threatens him and takes a swing.

I haven't been everywhere, but I've been enough places to know that it doesn't work like that ... !

Lannis

OK-OK - so the machine gun scene was silly...(agreed)...and steel cables being severed by lead shot...not likely....and the guys chasing him were morons....But I still liked the shotgun scenes overall...and who does'nt like Steve McQueen anyway?!? (Geeeeez Lannis...lighten up a bit :wink:)  :rolleyes: :shocked: :rolleyes: :shocked:

Also, I like the early movies with Steven Seagall - - even if the fights are all ridiculous.... :wink: :thumb: :cool:
Title: Re: Firearms: Pistol vs. Shotgun vs. ?
Post by: Lannis on November 14, 2016, 04:35:15 PM
OK-OK - so the machine gun scene was silly...(agreed)...and steel cables being severed by lead shot...not likely....and the guys chasing him were morons....But I still liked the shotgun scenes overall...and who does'nt like Steve McQueen anyway?!? (Geeeeez Lannis...lighten up a bit :wink:)  :rolleyes: :shocked: :rolleyes: :shocked:

Also, I like the early movies with Steven Seagall - - even if the fights are all ridiculous.... :wink: :thumb: :cool:

When you prime this ready-to-go pump with a hearty "You Tell Me" ... well by gosh I "Can Tell You"!    This is all light ... and happiness.    Strangely enough, I always liked Steve McQueen - one of those rare actors that doesn't seem to take himself seriously, much like Christopher Walken or William Shatner, and I followed his motorcycling life closely.  But he did very few movies that I liked ... even to this day ....

Lannis
Title: Re: Firearms: Pistol vs. Shotgun vs. ?
Post by: JJ on November 14, 2016, 04:45:27 PM
When you prime this ready-to-go pump with a hearty "You Tell Me" ... well by gosh I "Can Tell You"!    This is all light ... and happiness.    Strangely enough, I always liked Steve McQueen - one of those rare actors that doesn't seem to take himself seriously, much like Christopher Walken or William Shatner, and I followed his motorcycling life closely.  But he did very few movies that I liked ... even to this day ....

Lannis

 :thumb: :laugh: :wink: :cool: :boozing:  Cheers!!
Title: Re: Firearms: Pistol vs. Shotgun vs. ?
Post by: LowRyter on November 14, 2016, 05:25:12 PM
reminds me that tomorrow the local motorcycle club with have it's monthly dinner at the Wilshire Gun Range Bar & Grill.   

No really, Gun Range Bar and Grill. 
Title: Re: Firearms: Pistol vs. Shotgun vs. ?
Post by: Chuck in Indiana on November 14, 2016, 05:57:14 PM
^^^ You got a problem with that??
 :smiley:
Up in Wisconsin, there's a store where you can buy guns, ammo, beer, and liquor.  :grin: and bait.  :smiley: :boozing:
Title: Re: Firearms: Pistol vs. Shotgun vs. ?
Post by: Rough Edge racing on November 14, 2016, 06:54:48 PM
The guy with the submachine gun must have learned "bullet multiplication" from the Lone Ranger, who could shoot up to 14 bullets from a six-shot revolver without reloading.

I think I counted about 70 shots from that 30-round mag.

And breaking 1" steel elevator cables with lead shot ... ?   Possibly one of the most UNrealistic gunfight scenes ever ...  :boxing:

And it's not just the mechanics of gunfire.   The hired bad guys would NOT keep fighting into huge odds.  I mean, there's 6 or 7 of them.   If TWO of them were down due to the unerring accuracy of the hero, the rest would be hightailing it for the hills.   They wouldn't be fighting to the last man, they're not Davy Crockett, they're hired bullies.

It's like a Steven Segal movie.   He walks into a bar with 20 tough guys in it that have been messing with his people, whoever they are.   The first big guy comes up with a knife, and Segal disarms him and de-nuts him in 1 second.   Then 4 big guys come at him with brass knuckles and chairs, and he cold-cocks all of them, motionless on the floor.   Then 5 big guys come at him with guns and clubs, and he whirls around like a hurricane and puts them all out the window or down on the floor.

So there's 10 armed big guys, all bloody and motionless on the floor.  Segal hasn't even broken a sweat.   In the real world, that bar would be EMPTY, you'd see nothing but arseholes and elbows as everyone beat feet the other way as hard as they could go.

But noooo ... The NEXT big guy comes up with a pool cue and says "I guess we're going to have to teach you outsiders not to mess with cowboys (or oil men, or truck drivers)", and just comes at him swinging.   I mean, he's SEEN him take all these guys out while cracking dry jokes, and he just comes up and threatens him and takes a swing.

I haven't been everywhere, but I've been enough places to know that it doesn't work like that ... !

Lannis

 We agree on something  :grin:   I was a hoodlum and saw fist fight close up...Even got involved sometimes...They are messy and sloppy and are over quickly...    I believe in real life Segal was a martial arts master that did take on multiple opponents in arranged competition...
Title: Re: Firearms: Pistol vs. Shotgun vs. ?
Post by: SmithSwede on November 14, 2016, 07:14:20 PM
The OP's question was:  Which do you most enjoy and why?

For me, handguns.   Little kids all grew up shooting in Alabama, and I can remember the adults all having deep skepticism, but tremendous respect, for handguns.   They said you couldn't really hit anything with them.   But starting around age 7, and for whatever reason, I showed precocious skills with handguns.  It seemed like me, and every kid, could hit small targets in a lake with a braced rifle.  But I was the anomaly in being able to hit pretty small targets with a pistol off hand.   

So, pistols were good to me early on, and I've always liked them.   Later got into competitive pistol shooting.   So the one hand gun is my first love.   In my callow youth I preferred semi-automatics.    Still have a few bottom-feeders.    But my focus today is really target grade double-action S&W revolvers, along with select Colt wheel guns.    Favorite calibers are .38 Special, .44 Special, .357, and .22 LR.

Having said that, I will admit that some of the most satisfying competitive shooting I've ever done is long range rifle.    There is something absurdly addicting about engaging a target at the seemingly absurd distance of 1,000 yards, see it drop into the pits, and then come back up with a scored ten. 

Shotguns never did anything for me.   Always meh. 

Another oddity.  While I'm a flaming gun nut, I have never been a hunter.   Too soft hearted.  I'm not anti-hunting.   Just personally never had the urge to shoot an animal unless it was actively chewing on me.
Title: Re: Firearms: Pistol vs. Shotgun vs. ?
Post by: LowRyter on November 14, 2016, 07:59:18 PM
^^^ You got a problem with that??
 :smiley:
Up in Wisconsin, there's a store where you can buy guns, ammo, beer, and liquor.  :grin: and bait.  :smiley: :boozing:

It only counts if you can drink on the premises.    Otherwise, close but no cigar. 
Title: Re: Firearms: Pistol vs. Shotgun vs. ?
Post by: Lannis on November 14, 2016, 09:09:26 PM
We agree on something  :grin:   I was a hoodlum and saw fist fight close up...Even got involved sometimes...They are messy and sloppy and are over quickly...    I believe in real life Segal was a martial arts master that did take on multiple opponents in arranged competition...

I do enjoy some Segal movies, just a bit of escapism.   I read up on him some when he got his Russian citizenship from Putin ... he was a martial arts guy in real life which I'm sure helped his acting as The Tough Guy.   But he can get a little over the top sometimes .... !

Lannis
Title: Re: Firearms: Pistol vs. Shotgun vs. ?
Post by: MotoG5 on November 15, 2016, 08:47:23 AM
As a life long gun nut I have owned and shot just about everything out there at one time or another. Competition rifle, pistol, trap, skeet, air rifle and long range black powder cartridge. The last being my venue of choice for completion for the last fifteen years or so. All of the others were in my younger days when my eyes and nerves worked better. Just for fun I have collected and shot many vintage military rifles and hand guns in bolt, auto and single shots. Even made a hobby of building various renditions of Mr.  Kalashnikov's rifle from parts kits. All fun and pleasurable. But to answer the OP its all rifles these days.
I am still active in black powder cartridge rifle competition but my eyes have finally made shooting iron sights at the ranges required ( 100 to 1000 yards) a loosing proposition I have made the switch to scope shooting. Here is a picture of my newest completion set up.
(http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y113/GuzziRider/20160919_145408_zpsqmdwam0j.jpg) (http://s4.photobucket.com/user/GuzziRider/media/20160919_145408_zpsqmdwam0j.jpg.html)

This is six shots at 300 yards. Should work so I can keep on going for at least a few more years.
(http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y113/GuzziRider/20161005_153723_zpsdtjvp5mx.jpg) (http://s4.photobucket.com/user/GuzziRider/media/20161005_153723_zpsdtjvp5mx.jpg.html)
     
Title: Re: Firearms: Pistol vs. Shotgun vs. ?
Post by: SaskMick on November 15, 2016, 09:03:47 AM
Love that Rolling Block action. Is it a Pedersoli ?
Title: Re: Firearms: Pistol vs. Shotgun vs. ?
Post by: Chuck in Indiana on November 15, 2016, 09:08:34 AM
Those gnomes better run for cover.. :smiley: :boozing:
Title: Re: Firearms: Pistol vs. Shotgun vs. ?
Post by: MotoG5 on November 15, 2016, 02:18:16 PM
Love that Rolling Block action. Is it a Pedersoli ?
Yep, it is. Picked it up from Cabela's back in 03'. Did a trigger job on it and its been an excellent shooter right from the start.
200 yard 10 shot group. The one off the rabbit was the first fouling shot.
(http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y113/GuzziRider/IMGA0044-1.jpg) (http://s4.photobucket.com/user/GuzziRider/media/IMGA0044-1.jpg.html)
Title: Re: Firearms: Pistol vs. Shotgun vs. ?
Post by: SaskMick on November 15, 2016, 06:05:13 PM
Nice !    I love rolling blocks but can't hit bugger all without a scope these days. I can see the target no problem but can't get the rear sight in focus unfortunately.