Wildguzzi.com

General Category => General Discussion => Topic started by: SmithSwede on November 13, 2016, 10:52:24 AM

Title: Tips about Idaho?
Post by: SmithSwede on November 13, 2016, 10:52:24 AM
I'm traveling next week to Twin Falls, Idaho, after picking up a rent car in Salt Lake City.  I may have some extra time next weekend to explore that area. 

So I thought I'd ask my well traveled Guzzi friends---any tips or recommendations about what to see or do around there?   Never been to the area before

Thanks!
Title: Re: Tips about Idaho?
Post by: travelingbyguzzi on November 13, 2016, 11:33:46 AM
I like to stay at the Apollo Motel. The owners were formerly in food service and put out both breakfast and supper. The motel itself is a bit of a dive.
It is worth a visit to Shoshone Falls. It is a well maintained couny park. $3 (?) entrance fee.

Bill Lovelady    IS
Eskimo Spy
Title: Re: Tips about Idaho?
Post by: QuattroValvole on November 13, 2016, 12:01:15 PM

Visit the Snake River bridge on 93 north of town. Impressive structure and you may see somebody skydive from it, it is legal to do it there. Heartstopping to watch.
Title: Re: Tips about Idaho?
Post by: Moto on November 13, 2016, 03:35:00 PM
You should think bigger if you have time. Head north to Sun Valley  an hour and forty minutes away -- it's a beautiful setting, regardless of whether you want to partake of the jet-set lifestyle. If you want something even better, head another hour further north on highway 75 to Redfish Lake, which is stunningly beautiful, surrounded by great peaks. Along the way you'll go over 8500-foot Galena Summit and see the Sawtooth Range of the Rockies parallel to your route on the left. Stop at the summit and get out of the car, noticing how hard it is to breath! If it's not so hard for you there should be plenty of chances for short hikes.

That's what I'd do if I were in Twin Falls, bridges and so on not withstanding. Don't neglect to bring a warm jacket and to check the highway conditions at Galena Summit before starting out. (It's clear highway and about 50 degrees at the summit today.)

Also, get a car with a reasonably powerful engine so it won't be too taxed at high elevations.

Twin Falls itself is pretty boring, I think. It's in the vast Snake River Valley that many visitors never get out of, leaving them with no idea that Idaho contains the largest extent of wilderness in the lower 48 states.

Moto
Title: Re: Tips about Idaho?
Post by: Gino on November 13, 2016, 04:44:50 PM
Stopped there on our Argentina to Alaska and beyond motorcycle trip specifically to look at the place where Evel Kinevel  done his motorcycle jump, I think we were underwhelmed  :sad: :sad:
Title: Re: Tips about Idaho?
Post by: Caffeineo on November 13, 2016, 06:23:54 PM
Craters of the moon national monument. Sightseeing for a short drive or all day exploration. https://www.nps.gov/crmo/planyourvisit/things2do.htm (https://www.nps.gov/crmo/planyourvisit/things2do.htm)
I have only driven by and stopped at the visitors center. Made me want to go back and spend more time to look at more......
Title: Re: Tips about Idaho?
Post by: aschem on November 14, 2016, 08:36:10 AM
I recommend the Hagerman Fossil Beds, very close and the canyon is awesome!
https://www.nps.gov/hafo/index.htm
Title: Re: Tips about Idaho?
Post by: PJPR01 on November 14, 2016, 09:33:43 AM
I'm traveling next week to Twin Falls, Idaho, after picking up a rent car in Salt Lake City.  I may have some extra time next weekend to explore that area. 

So I thought I'd ask my well traveled Guzzi friends---any tips or recommendations about what to see or do around there?   Never been to the area before

Thanks!

Prescott...if you can, grab an Idaho Butler Map...you'll see the roads that are recommended for motorcyclists...wil l give you a good idea of what's scenic and challenging.  Heading to Ketchum/ Sun Valley and north to the Sawtooths is a great ride...if I'm not mistaken, I think Clint Eastwood's Pale Rider was filmed north of there...

Have fun!!
Title: Re: Tips about Idaho?
Post by: Moto on November 14, 2016, 01:34:10 PM
if I'm not mistaken, I think Clint Eastwood's Pale Rider was filmed north of there...

IMDB.com says you're right about that! I suppose I'll have to rent the movie now. I suppose it must be a good one.
Title: Re: Tips about Idaho?
Post by: PJPR01 on November 14, 2016, 04:55:06 PM
Pale Rider is up there...right behind Outlaw Josey Wales!  Great scenery, good story line, some fun one liners and the usual western flavor - Clint style! 

Hope you enjoy the movie!
Title: Re: Tips about Idaho?
Post by: SmithSwede on November 22, 2016, 08:24:13 PM
Thanks for all the tips.   

I saw Shoshone Falls (but not much falling water). 

Went up to Stanley via Sawtooth Scenic Byway. 

Then up to Salmon via Salmon River Scenic Byway.  Then Craters of the Moon, and the atomic reactor faculty, site of the only nuclear reactor disaster that killed people on US soil (LF-1).

Idaho is hauntingly beautiful.   I felt too cooped up in a rental car, and didn't have my accustomed visibility.   Need to go it again but on a bike.
Title: Re: Tips about Idaho?
Post by: Testarossa on November 22, 2016, 08:41:27 PM
If you do drive north through Sun Valley/Ketchum thru the Sawtooth to Reddish, you'll encounter much snow and cold weather. All wheel drive and warm clothing strongly advised.
Title: Re: Tips about Idaho?
Post by: Moto on November 22, 2016, 09:11:27 PM
Thanks for all the tips.   

I saw Shoshone Falls (but not much falling water). 

Went up to Stanley via Sawtooth Scenic Byway. 

Then up to Salmon via Salmon River Scenic Byway.  Then Craters of the Moon, and the atomic reactor faculty, site of the only nuclear reactor disaster that killed people on US soil (LF-1).

Idaho is hauntingly beautiful.   I felt too cooped up in a rental car, and didn't have my accustomed visibility.   Need to go it again but on a bike.

 :thumb:
Title: Re: Tips about Idaho?
Post by: cookiemech on November 23, 2016, 03:28:47 PM
Then Craters of the Moon, and the atomic reactor faculty, site of the only nuclear reactor disaster that killed people on US soil (LF-1).

I worked in the industry. I think you mean "SL-1":

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SL-1 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SL-1)
Title: Re: Tips about Idaho?
Post by: SmithSwede on November 24, 2016, 10:08:11 AM
 correct, SL-1.  I garbled that. 

Hey, since you're in the industry, do you think the murder/suicide theory has any credibility?

Or was it just an accident--stuck rod, got jerked too far?