Wildguzzi.com

General Category => General Discussion => Topic started by: boatdetective on December 10, 2016, 10:03:00 AM

Title: Help! No start issue 1200S
Post by: boatdetective on December 10, 2016, 10:03:00 AM
Hey folks- I'm befuddled- can you help pls?

Bike has been sitting with little use. Trickle charger hooked up on a regular basis. Bike ran fine two weeks ago for a short spin.

Turn ignition switch on- dash lights up and fuel pump turns on. Checked kill switch- OK. Hit ignition switch- nada. No click- no chatter.

Remove battery and charge with 10 amp charger. OK. Load test- holds load OK. Hook back up- nada.

Checked engine diagnostics- no active errors.

lifted bike and tried with kickstand raised- nada.

I did the startus interuptus fix ages ago.  Check fuses- all OK
I had a problem with the ignition switch "immobilizer" a year or so ago- replaced that.

Once again- the bike ran and started fine sev weeks ago. Nothing done since.

Any thoughts???  THANK YOU!
Title: Re: Help! No start issue 1200S
Post by: oldbike54 on December 10, 2016, 10:24:16 AM
 Everything but the starter motor is working ?

 Dusty
Title: Re: Help! No start issue 1200S
Post by: boatdetective on December 10, 2016, 10:42:28 AM
No click of the solenoid. I think it might be important to emphasize that I hadn't done anything in the two weeks since the bike last ran
Title: Re: Help! No start issue 1200S
Post by: oldbike54 on December 10, 2016, 10:49:00 AM
 Have you checked for juice at the starter motor ?

 Dusty
Title: Re: Help! No start issue 1200S
Post by: boatdetective on December 10, 2016, 10:57:35 AM
Good point. I have to leave it until  I regain my composure. I'm about to commit motorcide
Title: Re: Help! No start issue 1200S
Post by: dlapierre on December 10, 2016, 10:59:52 AM
My experience with exactly that problem was not having the battery terminals clean and tight enough.
Title: Re: Help! No start issue 1200S
Post by: Kiwi_Roy on December 10, 2016, 11:00:51 AM
Check the starter and battery by jumpering a wire to the solenoid spade connector.
Make sure it's in neutral first.


Sent from my shoe phone!
Title: Re: Help! No start issue 1200S
Post by: travelingbyguzzi on December 10, 2016, 11:10:21 AM
Mine is extremely sensitive to the terminals not being shiny clean. .Even after a 500 mile day, it might not start the next day if there is smegma on the terminals.
Title: Re: Help! No start issue 1200S
Post by: oldbike54 on December 10, 2016, 11:27:52 AM
Good point. I have to leave it until  I regain my composure. I'm about to commit motorcide

 Yep , the single most important factor in diagnosing problems is one's mental condition  :laugh:

 Dusty
Title: Re: Help! No start issue 1200S
Post by: Kiwi_Roy on December 10, 2016, 11:52:33 AM
Do you use Vaseline on the battery terminals?


Sent from my shoe phone!
Title: Re: Help! No start issue 1200S
Post by: Darren Williams on December 10, 2016, 12:16:30 PM
My 1200 Sport would do that every once in a great while, usually when it did happen it would be at a hotel hundreds of miles from home.  I installed a fuse and starter switch under the seat between the battery and starter solenoid.  Turn on ignition switch, if no start, hit the switch under the seat and the motor would crank and fire up. And I also had the startus interuptus installed.
Title: Re: Help! No start issue 1200S
Post by: fotoguzzi on December 10, 2016, 02:06:55 PM
could Luigi have slipped in one of those old Seimens relays from the EV's of the the day?
Title: Re: Help! No start issue 1200S
Post by: Mackers on December 10, 2016, 02:09:29 PM
Quote
My 1200 Sport would do that every once in a great while, usually when it did happen it would be at a hotel hundreds of miles from home.  I installed a fuse and starter switch under the seat between the battery and starter solenoid.  Turn on ignition switch, if no start, hit the switch under the seat and the motor would crank and fire up. And I also had the startus interuptus installed.

My Breva 1100 experience, too.  I suggest, Boatdetective, a thorough clean of the battery and starter motor leads with a wire brush.
Title: Re: Help! No start issue 1200S
Post by: Huzo on December 10, 2016, 02:30:32 PM
Mine is extremely sensitive to the terminals not being shiny clean. .Even after a 500 mile day, it might not start the next day if there is smegma on the terminals.
SMEGMA !!! How the hell would that get there ? What would a motorcycle battery and your little friend be doing to get that to happen ???
Title: Re: Help! No start issue 1200S
Post by: Kiwi_Roy on December 10, 2016, 03:59:28 PM
Speaking of fuses, do you have a dedicated one for the SI fix, should be a 20 Amp, check it didn't pop .


Sent from my shoe phone!
Title: Re: Help! No start issue 1200S
Post by: twodogs on December 11, 2016, 06:58:20 AM
Mine was the ground by the starter keep coming loose till I Helicoiled it,  :1: on the crud on the battery but you pulled yours out to charge. Good Luck.
Title: Re: Help! No start issue 1200S
Post by: flower_king001 on December 11, 2016, 10:18:31 AM
I recently went through some of the same problems a month ago. Owner pulled his 07' B1100 that he was selling out of his  garage and I hit the button...no start. Another friend of mine and Guzzi - Guru said right away bad starter. He went to his house and had an extra 'good starter'. Installed it in the bike and bingo..started right up. Test rode and feel in love with it. Only had 10,000 miles on it and felt like a new bike. Well we made a deal and two days later picked up the bike, started and placed on my trailer. Brought it how and started again and placed in my garage. Next day I got tags and insurance and went to start the bike and no start! And this is with my friends 'good starter'! So I ordered a new MotoBatt battery and a few days later installed. Bike started and did fine for several days. I let her sit for one week and decided to go for a ride on a Sunday morning...no start! Ordered the startus interuptus kit from MPH and installed. Still no start! Installed new relay...no start! Check battery terminals and seemed ok but did not like the way the MotoBatt terminals would get loose. Purchased yet another battery (Yusa). I then cleaned all of the battery leads with water/baking soda and a small brush. Installed new battery but and no start! I then took out the known good starter and looked aboyut. I took the ground cable off from the engine case and noted that it was not what i would call snug. So I cleaned and snug it up. I then said what the heck...put the original starter on and bingo...started right up and has every time for the past month or so. :) So lesson learned...check and clean all battery connections and make sure all cables and snug.
Title: Re: Help! No start issue 1200S
Post by: boatdetective on December 11, 2016, 10:58:22 AM
I think you guys are onto something. The ground post above the starter has that threaded aluminum hex post. I've never liked it and the aluminum threads bother me. I'm going to make something up with a stainless thread, threaded standoff, and nice washers that will give me a good contact.
Title: Re: Help! No start issue 1200S
Post by: flower_king001 on December 11, 2016, 02:39:21 PM
I think you guys are onto something. The ground post above the starter has that threaded aluminum hex post. I've never liked it and the aluminum threads bother me. I'm going to make something up with a stainless thread, threaded standoff, and nice washers that will give me a good contact.

Yes, or better yet find yourself a more secure place to mount the ground to instead of the 'hex post'. Get a new ground cable made if needed. Great source for cables, starters and such at:

http://motoelekt.com/

Also your idea above sounds fine as well...
Title: Re: Help! No start issue 1200S
Post by: boatdetective on December 11, 2016, 04:28:50 PM
And the award goes to....drum roll.....

Flower King!

Yup- you nailed it buddy. I never liked that #@%&%! aluminum hex post.  When I went to remove the plastic cover, I noticed that the fastener for the upper mount (going into the same hex post!) had fallen out.   Hmmmm- vibration.

I didn't like the aluminum threads and you sure know you can't torque it tight. I decided to replace it with stainless and forgo fastening the upper plastic mount. I used nice generous washers and a lock washer- a smidge of blue locktite- and Bob's your uncle.

Based on our shared experience- I would say that rerouting grounds or replacing the fastener should be a mandatory fix right along with the startus interuptus. Glad as hell I found this out in my driveway instead of on the road!!

THANK YOU ALL, you crusty, opinionated so and so's.
Title: Re: Help! No start issue 1200S
Post by: Chuck in Indiana on December 11, 2016, 04:36:24 PM
And the award goes to....drum roll.....

Flower King!

Yup- you nailed it buddy. I never liked that #@%&%! aluminum hex post.  When I went to remove the plastic cover, I noticed that the fastener for the upper mount (going into the same hex post!) had fallen out.   Hmmmm- vibration.

I didn't like the aluminum threads and you sure know you can't torque it tight. I decided to replace it with stainless and forgo fastening the upper plastic mount. I used nice generous washers and a lock washer- a smidge of blue locktite- and Bob's your uncle.

Based on our shared experience- I would say that rerouting grounds or replacing the fastener should be a mandatory fix right along with the startus interuptus. Glad as hell I found this out in my driveway instead of on the road!!

THANK YOU ALL, you crusty, opinionated so and so's.

Yeah, that connection has been an Achilles heel for several years.