Wildguzzi.com

General Category => General Discussion => Topic started by: ratguzzi on December 11, 2016, 02:11:38 PM

Title: Great weather, '14 V7, free time but...........
Post by: ratguzzi on December 11, 2016, 02:11:38 PM
I have to work in North Charleston this week, Tue-Thur. Well, there was a snow storm coming in last night in the Chicago area so I left a day early and just got to the hotel and unloaded my V7. I have this afternoon and all day tomorrow free and the weather is around 70f.
But I left my fricking key at home............... .
I usually leave the key in the bike but took it out a week or so ago when I figured out it was draining the battery. So I am used to the key being in the bike and it slipped my mind.
JB
Title: Re: Great weather, '14 V7, free time but...........
Post by: Tom on December 11, 2016, 02:16:56 PM
Wow, bummer.  Especially if the weather clears for riding.
Title: Re: Great weather, '14 V7, free time but...........
Post by: fotoguzzi on December 11, 2016, 02:34:44 PM
I usually keep a spare zip tied somewhere on the bike in case I loose the key.
Title: Re: Great weather, '14 V7, free time but...........
Post by: Cam3512 on December 11, 2016, 04:19:42 PM
I usually keep a spare zip tied somewhere on the bike in case I loose the key.

I do too.  Fed Ex overnight?
Title: Re: Great weather, '14 V7, free time but...........
Post by: Markcarovilli on December 11, 2016, 04:20:28 PM
Can someone FedEx from your home?

Mark
Title: Re: Great weather, '14 V7, free time but...........
Post by: Nic in Western NYS on December 11, 2016, 04:50:12 PM
Fed Ex! Fed Ex! Fed Ex!  You could be knee dragging by tomorrow afternoon.
Title: Re: Great weather, '14 V7, free time but...........
Post by: bad Chad on December 11, 2016, 08:21:39 PM
That just blows buddy.   But I bet you never do it again!
Title: Re: Great weather, '14 V7, free time but...........
Post by: guzzisteve on December 11, 2016, 08:37:24 PM
Put a spare key in the van.  Do you want to jump across the switch? One way to ride!!
Title: Re: Great weather, '14 V7, free time but...........
Post by: Arizona Wayne on December 11, 2016, 09:31:58 PM
That's like the time I took my 50cc scooter to Laguna Seca for the bike races...and when it was time to ride it around the track perimeter, I realized I forgot my helmet!  :rolleyes:  So I rode down to the concessions and was able to find a Scorpion half-helmet w/built in drop down tinted shades that fit my head.  $120 later I was legal again.   The CHP there watched me the whole way.  This was at least 9 years ago and I still use that helmet for local rides. 
Title: Re: Great weather, '14 V7, free time but...........
Post by: Bob Wegman on December 11, 2016, 09:40:15 PM
Another option would be to follow the wire sheathing from the ignition switch down along the right side if the frame at the front of the fuel tank.  Slit the sheathing and run a jumper wire from the orange wire to the gray wire and go riding.  There are only the two wires in the sheathing .  One sends the current to the switch where the key controls the current the other returns the current to energize the systems.
Title: Re: Great weather, '14 V7, free time but...........
Post by: ratguzzi on December 12, 2016, 05:56:49 AM
I can easily jump the switch but I would still need fuel..............
Yeah, fedex but it wouldn't have shipped until today and I could have it tomorrow but then my free time is up.
Of course, this will never happen again!
JB
Title: Re: Great weather, '14 V7, free time but...........
Post by: jas67 on December 12, 2016, 11:20:15 AM
 :sad:  (can't find the face-palm emoji).
Title: Re: Great weather, '14 V7, free time but...........
Post by: Laker on December 12, 2016, 11:51:36 AM
Find a dealer to will let you take a test ride   :thumb:
Title: Re: Great weather, '14 V7, free time but...........
Post by: rocker59 on December 12, 2016, 12:11:51 PM

I usually leave the key in the bike but took it out a week or so ago when I figured out it was draining the battery. So I am used to the key being in the bike and it slipped my mind.
JB

Key in the bike drains the battery?

I have not experienced this with my 2014 V7 Special.
Title: Re: Great weather, '14 V7, free time but...........
Post by: bad Chad on December 12, 2016, 01:14:50 PM
Me either.  How does that work?
Title: Re: Great weather, '14 V7, free time but...........
Post by: oldlegs on December 12, 2016, 01:44:41 PM
Hope there are no V7 bike thieves reading this.
Title: Re: Great weather, '14 V7, free time but...........
Post by: ratguzzi on December 12, 2016, 03:45:07 PM
Key in the bike drains the battery?

I have not experienced this with my 2014 V7 Special.

It's weird. It's fine with a lead acid battery. Left the key in it all the time. I put in a Shoei lithium battery and it goes flat in a couple of days when the key is in it. Take the key out and it's perfectly fine.
JB
Title: Re: Great weather, '14 V7, free time but...........
Post by: Laker on December 12, 2016, 04:19:29 PM
I've wondered if the chip in the key didn't have anything to do with it
Title: Re: Great weather, '14 V7, free time but...........
Post by: Chuck in Indiana on December 12, 2016, 06:38:43 PM
I can easily jump the switch but I would still need fuel..............
Yeah, fedex but it wouldn't have shipped until today and I could have it tomorrow but then my free time is up.
Of course, this will never happen again!
JB

Something like that is very easy to do when you put a bike in the van. A few years ago, Dorcia and I put the Lario in the van, grabbed all our gear, etc. and went to the spring Ohio rally. When we unloaded I realized I'd forgotten my boots. (!) I did ride all weekend, but *really* felt naked. Boots, gloves, helmet. Gotta have em, along with an armored suit.
Key? Doh!  :smiley: