Wildguzzi.com

General Category => General Discussion => Topic started by: swooshdave on March 18, 2017, 10:53:02 PM

Title: V7 Sport Rear Fender Options
Post by: swooshdave on March 18, 2017, 10:53:02 PM
(https://c1.staticflickr.com/6/5518/30341332734_088a20d92e_c.jpg)

Currently I just have the Sport seat sitting on top of the T fender. Sure I could just buy a new replica but a shiny new part would look wrong with the rest of the patina.

I thought I had seen a thread about making on from something like a Japanese fender but I can't find it now. Has anyone done this and what model fender did you use?

Are used fenders unheard of?
Title: Re: V7 Sport Rear Fender Options
Post by: swooshdave on March 19, 2017, 08:03:02 PM
Nothing?
Title: Re: V7 Sport Rear Fender Options
Post by: flynguzzi on March 19, 2017, 08:13:29 PM
Don't know if there are any re-pop sport rear fenders currently available, it sure make rear tire changes a lot easier!  Good looking T though.  jb
Title: Re: V7 Sport Rear Fender Options
Post by: wirespokes on March 19, 2017, 08:27:08 PM
I remember that thread too, Dave - and I've been wondering where I saw it...
Title: Re: V7 Sport Rear Fender Options
Post by: siabeid on March 19, 2017, 08:32:57 PM
Have you considered making a bracket for your current fender that the sport seat attaches to? I once saw a g5 that a guy had done that to and it looked pretty decent. He claimed it worked well. If I remember correctly, he used a piece of square tubing bolted to the fender, with the seat bolted to the square tube. He had painted the tube black and used a black t3 tailight and it all looked like it went together. Your t looks really nice. I almost painted my t3 that color but went with red instead. Seeing yours makes me wish I had gone with the silver grey. It is an elegant color.
Title: Re: V7 Sport Rear Fender Options
Post by: wirespokes on March 19, 2017, 09:53:45 PM
Here you go, Dave. It's a great thread with lots of great ideas... it's post #171

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/1984-moto-guzzi-850-t5-project-will-it-ever-be-cool.976111/page-9

Title: Re: V7 Sport Rear Fender Options
Post by: fotoguzzi on March 19, 2017, 10:00:55 PM
? if you had the Sport tank would the seat slide forward a little bit? or, would you dare slice about 2" off the front of the seat? then the rear lines up with current fender? I might be way off base so flame on..
Title: Re: V7 Sport Rear Fender Options
Post by: swooshdave on March 19, 2017, 10:03:23 PM
Have you considered making a bracket for your current fender that the sport seat attaches to? I once saw a g5 that a guy had done that to and it looked pretty decent. He claimed it worked well. If I remember correctly, he used a piece of square tubing bolted to the fender, with the seat bolted to the square tube. He had painted the tube black and used a black t3 tailight and it all looked like it went together. Your t looks really nice. I almost painted my t3 that color but went with red instead. Seeing yours makes me wish I had gone with the silver grey. It is an elegant color.

(https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2877/33159110260_8c5cecf2ce_c.jpg)
Title: Re: V7 Sport Rear Fender Options
Post by: swooshdave on March 19, 2017, 10:05:04 PM
? if you had the Sport tank would the seat slide forward a little bit? or, would you dare slice about 2" off the front of the seat? then the rear lines up with current fender? I might be way off base so flame on..

The Sport seat latches and just kisses the back of the T tank. I assume from that the two tanks are the same length?
Title: Re: V7 Sport Rear Fender Options
Post by: swooshdave on March 19, 2017, 10:20:02 PM
Here you go, Dave. It's a great thread with lots of great ideas... it's post #171

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/1984-moto-guzzi-850-t5-project-will-it-ever-be-cool.976111/page-9

Thanks!

Not the one I was thinking about but it will work.

I thought I'd seen some try to replicate the rear fender hinge on another fender.
Title: Re: V7 Sport Rear Fender Options
Post by: Hahnda on March 20, 2017, 07:45:02 AM
I think this might be the one you were looking for.

http://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=82950
Title: Re: V7 Sport Rear Fender Options
Post by: swooshdave on March 20, 2017, 11:50:30 AM
I think this might be the one you were looking for.

http://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=82950

I don't know why I couldn't find that post. I think it was because I was searching for a fender topic and this one was about the seat. I even posted to it! But that's exactly the one I was thinking of.

Thanks!
Title: Re: V7 Sport Rear Fender Options
Post by: swooshdave on March 30, 2017, 05:39:38 PM
So the fender from mgmark arrived today. You may remember it from here: http://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=82950.msg1310577#msg1310577

(http://i382.photobucket.com/albums/oo268/mgamark/Mobile%20Uploads/image_4.jpeg)

I removed my original T fender and stored it away carefully (i.e. threw it on a shelf) and got this new one on, at least for a test fit.

(https://c1.staticflickr.com/4/3843/32931938703_b243d9672b_c.jpg)

I have a long list of hardware to purchase (will head to my favorite store, Tacoma Screw, in the morning).

(https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2900/32902169244_2f46d81198_c.jpg)
I believe the original V7 Sport fenders probably had a nut welded to the fender and a knob to facilitate easy loosening.

(http://i382.photobucket.com/albums/oo268/mgamark/Mobile%20Uploads/image_6.jpeg)
I'm not sure what I'm going to do here as Mark didn't quite finish this fender. There are ears coming down but they are pretty thin. It looks like he just used the knobs and some nuts. Maybe that will work. Maybe wing nuts on the backside might help?

(https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2840/32902169284_f53e1b7281_c.jpg)[/url]

What I can't figure out is how the wiring is suppose to look on a V7 Sport. It has to accommodate the fender that fold out of the way. How did they do this?
Title: Re: V7 Sport Rear Fender Options
Post by: canuck750 on March 30, 2017, 08:26:08 PM
The stock V7 Sport rear flip up fender has a bracket riveted to the top surface, the wire sub harness passes though the inside of this open ended bracket to supply the tail light.

The signal lights are frame mounted and the signal sub harness is zip tied to the rear frame rail extensions.

(http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg217/canuck750/P2290022_zpsef1f20a2.jpg) (http://s249.photobucket.com/user/canuck750/media/P2290022_zpsef1f20a2.jpg.html)


(http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg217/canuck750/74%20V7%20Sport/DSC04074_zpsaabf3b91.jpg) (http://s249.photobucket.com/user/canuck750/media/74%20V7%20Sport/DSC04074_zpsaabf3b91.jpg.html)

750 S3 signal lights

(http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg217/canuck750/Moto%20Guzzi%20750%20S3/DSC04834_zpswezyp7rk.jpg) (http://s249.photobucket.com/user/canuck750/media/Moto%20Guzzi%20750%20S3/DSC04834_zpswezyp7rk.jpg.html)

Title: Re: V7 Sport Rear Fender Options
Post by: swooshdave on March 30, 2017, 09:17:55 PM
Thanks!

From my research it looks like you have to undo the bullet connectors to the tail light every time you want to raise the fender? Or is there enough wire that you don't?

On the 750S does that mean about 5 wires?

I'll make some of those turn signal brackets if I decide to put them there.
Title: Re: V7 Sport Rear Fender Options
Post by: canuck750 on March 31, 2017, 09:19:52 AM
Thanks!

From my research it looks like you have to undo the bullet connectors to the tail light every time you want to raise the fender? Or is there enough wire that you don't?

On the 750S does that mean about 5 wires?

I'll make some of those turn signal brackets if I decide to put them there.

No, there is lots of slack in the harness to allow the fender to tip up.
Title: Re: V7 Sport Rear Fender Options
Post by: Antietam Classic Cycle on March 31, 2017, 10:03:44 AM
There's also a little wire loop guide, that attaches at the end of the frame rail, to keep the harness out of harms way. #60 in this drawing:

(http://www.stein-dinse.biz/bilder/auto/breite_800/140e101a.jpg)
Title: Re: V7 Sport Rear Fender Options
Post by: swooshdave on March 31, 2017, 10:24:42 AM
No, there is lots of slack in the harness to allow the fender to tip up.

If you have a chance do you have a pic of the wiring routing under the seat? Thanks!
Title: Re: V7 Sport Rear Fender Options
Post by: Antietam Classic Cycle on March 31, 2017, 10:42:10 AM
(http://www.antietamclassiccycle.com/toms_v7_sport/V7_Sport_08062014_003.JPG)
Title: Re: V7 Sport Rear Fender Options
Post by: swooshdave on March 31, 2017, 10:39:28 PM
Perfect, that's what I was planning but wanted to confirm.
Title: Re: V7 Sport Rear Fender Options
Post by: swooshdave on March 31, 2017, 11:53:52 PM
Ok, I have it all together and the tail light and brake light work. I'm declaring victory, for tonight. When I go in and sort out the turn signals I'll re-wire the back end of the bike. The PO had some "questionable" wiring choices, like, ahem, using only one color of wire...

(https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2861/32953707523_1f24ce7cdd_c.jpg)

55mm bolt going all the way through.

(https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2850/33725908266_ac53f09511_c.jpg)

Knobs and wing nuts to hold the fender. Works surprisingly well.

(https://c1.staticflickr.com/4/3847/33382161250_928f20d460_c.jpg)

Final, well, for tonight, look. Sorry for the poor lighting, it's 10pm and I'm getting tired. I have a club event tomorrow (N@rton) so I will get a better picture. I don't like how the wiring is so I'll fix that later. But the electrons are going where they should.

Thanks to everyone who helped!