Wildguzzi.com

General Category => General Discussion => Topic started by: atavar on April 08, 2017, 10:43:37 PM

Title: Broke my dipstick..
Post by: atavar on April 08, 2017, 10:43:37 PM
Anybody have a good source for a replacement dipstick for an '08 Norge?  Something easier to get to would be nice. 
Title: Re: Broke my dipstick..
Post by: bad Chad on April 08, 2017, 11:06:36 PM
Ow!  That's got to hurt!😁
Title: Re: Broke my dipstick..
Post by: pete roper on April 09, 2017, 12:47:42 AM
There were aftermarket options available that came up the side of the barrel and poked over the top of the fairing lowers but I can't remember who made them? Stucchi maybe who are reborn as 'LCG' or some such?

How on earth did you manage to break it? There isn't a broken bit in the sump I hope?

Pete
Title: Re: Broke my dipstick..
Post by: ITSec on April 09, 2017, 01:28:29 AM
There were aftermarket options available that came up the side of the barrel and poked over the top of the fairing lowers but I can't remember who made them? Stucchi maybe who are reborn as 'LCG' or some such?

How on earth did you manage to break it? There isn't a broken bit in the sump I hope?

Pete

If you expose plastic to petroleum distillates, cold, heat, and then yank on it repeatedly, it can break  :laugh:

Those o-rings never seemed to stay lubed enough to keep the thing from getting sticky, and I've broken one too. The metal doesn't go very far up into the plastic, so the only reinforcement is in the slight flanges on the design. When they break, they tend to break just where the part of the plastic barrel that has the o-rings meets the 'mushroom' that acts to prevent pushing the rod too far in. If you remove the plastic insert nut that goes into the sump, the remains of the dipstick come out with it; given the sticky o-rings and the fact that you're pulling out when it breaks, the stick seems to stay just where it was intended and doesn't go into the sump.

I've tried engine oil, petroleum jelly, and silicone o-ring lube to try and make that dipstick easier to work with, but it gets sticky in as little as a week.
Title: Re: Broke my dipstick..
Post by: Adk.IBO on April 09, 2017, 06:24:18 AM
I still have my broken one that I put a split key ring on through a hole at the top of the metal part. Mine broke off above the O-rings and flange but exposed the top of the metal dipstick. With the key ring on it I would reach down in the fairing with long needle nose to remove or insert the dipstick until my replacement came from Italy. Hope this helps until you get whatever replacement you choose...
Title: Re: Broke my dipstick..
Post by: malik on April 09, 2017, 04:32:39 PM
There's an aftermarket dipstick for big locks that has a screw in collar and a push-pull dipstick like a car. The only trick is to mark the dipstick with the graduations for your particular sump. I picked a a few for mates at Motociclo in Sydney. I shall see if I can find a link - but you do know that they are out there.
Title: Re: Broke my dipstick..
Post by: Scott of the Sahara on April 09, 2017, 04:58:53 PM
I did the same thing. I put this one in as a replacement:


(http://i917.photobucket.com/albums/ad12/Atlasheating/CIMG0900.jpg) (http://s917.photobucket.com/user/Atlasheating/media/CIMG0900.jpg.html)
Title: Re: Broke my dipstick..
Post by: atavar on April 09, 2017, 07:54:53 PM
Well, the way mine broke it separated right above the top oring leaving a 1/4" of the metal tab showing and a clean break with a slot in the handle for the tab.  I just epoxied it up and am letting it cure. 
Results to follow.  I may have to cut the top oring out and replace it. 
Title: Re: Broke my dipstick..
Post by: lozzamk on April 10, 2017, 06:51:46 PM
Like one of these?

http://lgccompany.it/en/cap/9281-tappo-livello-olio.html (http://lgccompany.it/en/cap/9281-tappo-livello-olio.html)


Title: Re: Broke my dipstick..
Post by: CapitalGoose on April 13, 2017, 01:08:38 PM
"Broke my dipstick.."

Should probably see a doctor...  :grin:
Title: Re: Broke my dipstick..
Post by: ITSec on April 13, 2017, 08:23:22 PM
Like one of these?

http://lgccompany.it/en/cap/9281-tappo-livello-olio.html (http://lgccompany.it/en/cap/9281-tappo-livello-olio.html)

Thanks - I bookmarked that link, I may have to get one for my Norge.
Title: Re: Broke my dipstick..
Post by: Scott of the Sahara on April 14, 2017, 08:35:27 AM
I tried to epoxy mine (twice) but it didn't take. I got my dipstick/ filler at Moto International