Wildguzzi.com
General Category => General Discussion => Topic started by: not-fishing on June 27, 2017, 12:40:44 PM
-
One popped up for sale and I'm just getting done with my V50 II renovation.
I was thinking of it as a poor-mans scrambler, hardware runner, grocery-getting townie machine.
(http://www.guzziriders.org/uploads/17/nato.jpg)
-
I rather like that, although I know less than nothing about small blocks.
It could be cleaned up and look great, it would certainly be a talking point for sure, or you could just run it as is.
When I seen it I also thought of ratguzzi's bike but that's because I think his is also painted in olive drab.
-
basically a standard V50 , early models had V35 cylinder heads, all had small carbs and short (V35) gearing.
they do have a kickstarter fitted , but it is pretty useless,
but nice bikes to run , pretty utilitarian, and all the military stuff fitted has its own charm...
i never had one , but a couple of my friends do , and i am the one who works on them...
-
I've ALWAYS wanted one if only for the kick-starter!
(http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-nHe28vZC6oY/UnJ3PH__Z0I/AAAAAAAAPKs/QpD7VP7KRvA/s1600/076.JPG)
Todd.
-
There was a guy touring New Zealand on one (he's on this forum somewhere), he touched basis with KiwiKev in Auckland.
-
A Guzzi smallblock with a kickstarter and points ignition would survive a nuclear war. I wants one!
- Pasta
-
There was a guy touring New Zealand on one (he's on this forum somewhere), he touched basis with KiwiKev in Auckland.
Last I heard he was back from the Netherlands & working in Western Sydney.
-
There was a guy touring New Zealand on one (he's on this forum somewhere), he touched basis with KiwiKev in Auckland.
Yeh Jerone / Jeroen? was his name we met up for a ride out to Muriwai, a nice seaside place not far from Auckland . He had his own website documenting his travels . Can't recall details but it will come to me . Maybe...
Didn't you bump into a couple of people that knew him when you were over here Roy?
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-
Yes, I think he's something of a celebrity, what did you think of the bike?
Sent from my shoe phone!
-
I've met a young ex-military rider from Europe who brought over a 500 like that and have met him 2X at Datil, NM Guzzi Rallies. Last August he said his 500 Guzzi got totaled in an accident and has to ride something else now. :cry: Real nice young man. :thumb:
-
Last I heard he was back from the Netherlands & working in Western Sydney.
Just post a very dusty reply here. (had to re-register, my old account seems to have been deleted) Yes I went back home to NL for a while, left the bike in Christchurch at the time with a mate. Moved to Australia in September 2016 with the intention to work a bit and then travel around. However after spending my 30th Birthday at the Bannockburn bikeweek I ended up meeting this fantastic girl in Sydney when I got back to Australia. Now living in Sydney, with the V50 (which now has dual nationality, f*** it's expensive here). Planning to visit the Ragged Fringe Rally next week as well..
The v50 is still doing fantastic, got to NZ with 12040 km on the clock, now the odo says 51000 although it's closer to 56 (the odo drive shat itself in NZ). The bikes are really bulletproof, over-enginered for the power output with all the mods. Had it on a Dyno here, 24.7 bhp & ft/lb torque whatever it's called in silly numbers.
Just keep the valved in check, engine / gearbox / reardrive oil in check and nothing really can go wrong. If there's 1 recommendation I can do, install progressive fork springs on the front instead of the linear ones that are standard. You can just push the bike that little bit harder with those when going through twisties, nothing beats being up the ass of sportsbikes on a glorified tractor with next to no power :bike-037:
-
Do it! You'll be the star of every Guzzi gathering... :thumb:
-
There is a NATO Gearbox for sale for 440 gbp at the moment in the UK.
If it was a more reasonable amount I'd buy it so I could remove the starter motor, fit a tiny battery and save loads of weight.
-
A Guzzi smallblock with a kickstarter and points ignition would survive a nuclear war.
Oh, yecchh! The smallblock dual points are an engineering disaster. It is the one machine that cries out for conversion to electronic ignition.
1-you have to time each cylinder separately. There is no sub-plate which allows for timing of one set of points without impacting the other.
2-they are located on the front of the cam shaft and the headers are a primary source of forearm burn while you work.
3-the timing chest cover is plastic and ventilated. The front tire throws grit and dust directly at the ventilated cover which allows same to enter the ignition chamber and stick to any residual cam lubricant (think valve grinding paste). The grit wears the points lifting block at an alarming rate which impacts performance and starting.
Use the old points for a fishing weight.
Patrick Hayes
Fremont CA
-
All of the various smallblocks use basically the same transmission. Final drive ratios are determined by a pair of reduction gears in the false bell housing. There are at least four different reduction gear pairings. Many, many years ago there was someone in this discussion who had an ex-Police V50 or V35 from Spain. He couldn't get 100kph out of it but it would wheelie in three gears. Might have been aftermarket, but he had an incredibly aggressive ratio on the reduction gear pairing.
Patrick Hayes
Fremont CA
-
All of the various smallblocks use basically the same transmission. Final drive ratios are determined by a pair of reduction gears in the false bell housing. There are at least four different reduction gear pairings. Many, many years ago there was someone in this discussion who had an ex-Police V50 or V35 from Spain. He couldn't get 100kph out of it but it would wheelie in three gears. Might have been aftermarket, but he had an incredibly aggressive ratio on the reduction gear pairing.
Patrick Hayes
Fremont CA
I find my V50II slightly low geared, how difficult would it be to change it?
-
VERY! You must disassemble almost every part of the motorcycle. Split the bell housing from the front of the gearbox. Exchange the two reduction gears. Not worth it unless you are going deep for some other repair.
Patrick Hayes
Fremont CA
Sent from my SM-J327T using Tapatalk