Wildguzzi.com

General Category => General Discussion => Topic started by: lorazepam on August 03, 2017, 10:39:15 PM

Title: I need new tires for the V7
Post by: lorazepam on August 03, 2017, 10:39:15 PM
The rear tire on my 2014 V7 Stone is toast, and I am looking for something different for replacement, as I think the Sport Demons are less than stellar performers. I ride mostly chip and seal roads, with gravel in the mix once in a great while, more if I had a tire better suited for same.
I live in Amish country, and the steel rims on the buggies rut the roads, and these tires really don't like that at all. They tend to follow these narrow and shallow ruts, giving the bike the feeling of loose steering head bearings.
Does anyone make a reasonably priced tire suited for chip and seal/gravel roads, that actually fit?
I found a set of tires used on the Scrambler, but 400.00 for a set is a bit out of my budget.
Thanks in advance for your help, and entertaining rants.
Sizes are 100/90-18 f and 130/80-17 r.
Title: Re: I need new tires for the V7
Post by: malik on August 04, 2017, 01:17:21 AM
I use Avon AM26 Roadriders - work well, better turn in than the Sport Demon & last me a lot longer. Also perform well on the all weather roads up in the Territory (regularly inundated) that plane the rubber off a lot of other tyres.  Heidenau have a good rep for road/gravel use, but unsure if made in our sizes.
Title: Re: I need new tires for the V7
Post by: ITSec on August 04, 2017, 01:39:57 AM
Unfortunately some tires available in other markets are not readily available in North America. This can make tire selection for the V7 series a bit of a challenge. I can't make much in terms of suggestions, as I haven't shopped it lately, but I'd take the choices you get here and cast a wide net to see what you can actually buy in your market area.

And given the less common nature of these size/spec  choices, it's worth a reminder to make sure that any tires you do buy are reasonably recent date stamps (the oval space containing week number / year) so that you aren't buying tires that are already too old to wear out.
Title: Re: I need new tires for the V7
Post by: Vagrant on August 04, 2017, 07:08:26 AM
I put the pilot actives on mine and it looks like they will do 50% more miles. handling is better too.
Title: Re: I need new tires for the V7
Post by: jpv7 on August 04, 2017, 07:20:42 AM
+1 on the Michelin Activ.  installed on the rear of a V7ii - Can't go wrong for the price.
Title: Re: I need new tires for the V7
Post by: lorazepam on August 04, 2017, 10:26:43 AM
I am thinking about trying these Kenda K761 tires.
http://powersports.kendatire.com/en-us/find-a-tire/motorcyclescooter/dual-sportadventure/k761-dual-sport/ (http://powersports.kendatire.com/en-us/find-a-tire/motorcyclescooter/dual-sportadventure/k761-dual-sport/)
I think the 110/80-18 will fit the front, and the rear is the same size as stock. Anyone here ever use Kenda tires?
Title: Re: I need new tires for the V7
Post by: thepittsburghguzzi on August 04, 2017, 12:48:44 PM
Another  :1: on the Pilot Activ. They handle well and seem to be lasting longer than the original Metzelers.
Title: Re: I need new tires for the V7
Post by: slopokes on August 04, 2017, 02:52:35 PM
My red suspenders go with the 705's....
Title: Re: I need new tires for the V7
Post by: oldlegs on August 04, 2017, 03:40:32 PM
Avon Roadriders on my V7 very pleased with them , had problems with 2 Pirelli sport demons. Steve.
Title: Re: I need new tires for the V7
Post by: Muzz on August 04, 2017, 05:15:29 PM
I have never found anything wrong with the Sport Demons. However, the rear does seem to wear out in about 6000 miles, which is about 1/2 of the mileage from the front.

A Swedish guy who used to be on the site did big miles on his Breva (same size rear) and used to fit a Pilot Activ on the rear and the Demon on the front; he found he doubled his mileage and the grip was very little different.

Recently I needed a new rear and the area I was in had very little in the way of choice. The only one available was a Metzeler MZ2 steel belted radial, an oem tire from a Bonneville. I have done about 500 miles on and so far it feels very good, more planted than the Sport Demon. Seemed to have good grip in the wet. After scrubbing the mold release off I hit "The Hill" (25 kms worth) and by the time I got to the bottom there were no chicken strips left on the rear at all. :thumb: Won't know about the wear factor as the bike is in hibernation for another three months, but it is supposed to be a good wearing tire. Only about $20NZ dearer than the Demon and a whole jump up in technology.
Title: Re: I need new tires for the V7
Post by: Zinfan on August 04, 2017, 08:43:12 PM
Shinko 705's if your looking for a good and inexpensive 80/20 tire.

I'm assuming (dangerous I know) that since this is a V7 Stone it has tubeless rims and the 705's do not have an 18" front tubeless.  I've run the Kenda K761's on my Stone and they worked well if a bit noisy, I'd have to try and remember what tire life I got out of them but I didn't have any complaints.  No issue with fitting them.  I currently have a set of Pirelli Scorpion Trail II Dual Sport tires on the way, they are more of a 90/10 Road/Dirt tire but they cost about the same as Speed Demons so might not be what you are looking for pricewise.  Trying to find dual sport 18" tubeless front tires is always a challenge.
Title: Re: I need new tires for the V7
Post by: DaSwami on August 04, 2017, 10:22:37 PM
My closest dealer's servicwe manager recommends the Pilot Activs....
Title: Re: I need new tires for the V7
Post by: lorazepam on August 04, 2017, 10:35:19 PM
The front is the problem with the Shinko tires, no tubeless. I will continue my quest, with the Kendas in the lead right now. Avon used to make a tire called the Distanzia, which were pretty decent, but discontinued them. I have not found the Scorpion trails in stock in my search, where did you happen to find them?
Title: Re: I need new tires for the V7
Post by: Yukonica on August 04, 2017, 11:22:37 PM
I'm about 6k (km) into a set of Scorpion Trails on chipseal roads with some gravel repair sections and I think Zinfan will like them.
Certainly better longevity than the Sport Demon, similar feel in the dry, good in the loose stuff, good in the wet, and so far none of the cupping I've read about on the front. I'll buy them again if I don't give the Pilot Activ's a try.
Interesting no one has mentioned the Bridgestone BT45.
They were a good tire for these roads; lasted longer than the Demons did, no grip concerns for moderate paced riding (the only thing that gets dragged around me is my arthritic butt getting out of bed and my left foot when I walk).
As for supply? Plan ahead if you can. I try to buy next season's tires mid-winter when the stock is being ramped up for spring.
Title: Re: I need new tires for the V7
Post by: redhawk47 on August 05, 2017, 12:02:28 AM
Tubeless 80/20 tires for a Stone are few and far between.
Kenda K-761 - mixed reviews, didn't care for the tread design, the one I saw on the front a R100GS had the tread pattern backwards IMO - yes, I check the direction arrows (maybe it was a rear tire?).
Stornello tires - rear looks good, front is a 90/10 at best. Tubeless. Radials?
Shinko 705 - I like these tires and use them on my other bikes, but no front tubeless. I almost decided to put a tube in front. If you go with them I suggest the 4.10-18 although it has a lower speed rating - 93 mph is fast enough for me; I don't know if the V7 can go that fast.
Avon Distanzias have been replaced by the TrailRider. Avon calls them 90/10s, but that must be the lawyers talking. I rate them 70/30 - they are more aggressive than 705s. Problem, no front the right size, but they do have a rear 110/80-18. This is what I mounted, with the rear 110/80 mounted on the front mounted backwards. It has the deeper tread of a rear tire - looks like a tractor tire. It will probably last four rear tires, and those are good for long miles according to reports. I only have about 200 miles on them so far, all road, some rain, and I am pleased so far.
Another possibility with a rear tire on the front is Continental TKC-70 with a 4.00-18.
 
Title: Re: I need new tires for the V7
Post by: lorazepam on August 05, 2017, 01:42:08 AM
The only place I found the Stornello tires is at AF1, and they want almost 400 for the pair. I think I will pass on those. I think the Avons are the ones I am going with. The Distanzias gave great mileage, and if the trail riders hold up as well as they did, I will be happy. It won't be the first time I have flipped a rear tire to use on the front, that is really not an issue for me.
Thanks redhawk, glad to hear the 110/80 will fit.
Title: Re: I need new tires for the V7
Post by: Zinfan on August 05, 2017, 02:08:15 AM
The front is the problem with the Shinko tires, no tubeless. I will continue my quest, with the Kendas in the lead right now. Avon used to make a tire called the Distanzia, which were pretty decent, but discontinued them. I have not found the Scorpion trails in stock in my search, where did you happen to find them?

I found a front Scorpion at Revzilla but it might have been the last one there?  Anyways I also ordered a rear Scorpion from Revzilla but when they went to the warehouse to ship it they were out of stock and I ended up buying it from The Motorcycle Superstore but again I think they had low stock.  The email I got from Revzilla said they expected more stock in mid-August.  I have a worn set of Kenda K761's so when the Scorpions get here I can take a photo so you can see the difference in tread patterns if you want.  I think my front tire arrives on Saturday and the rear on Monday.

{edit} just took a look and it seems Motorcycle Superstore has two 18" Scorpion fronts in stock http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/77619/i/pirelli-scorpion-trail-ii-dual-sport-front-tire .  I don't see the correct rear tire size listed there though so it may be out of stock.

[edit 2}  Just for pricing info the front was $119.11 from Revzilla and the rear was $157.99 at the Superstore which I think is close to what Revzilla had it listed for. 
Title: Re: I need new tires for the V7
Post by: lorazepam on August 12, 2017, 06:40:29 PM
Ended up with the trail riders. They do look like tractor tires, very similar to the Distanzia I have used in the past. Mounted them and used tire beads. Took them up to speeds I will not be hitting with any regularity, and they tracked well, felt stable, but they do vibrate more than the Sport Demons, about like any tire with this design.
I am pleased with these tires out of the chute, and hope to get great mileage out of them. Here is a blog I stumbled across looking for something else, and these guys really love these tires. The pictures are fabulous, ant their trip is something I can only dream of doing.
http://earth-roamers.blogspot.com/2015/06/the-new-avon-trailrider.html (http://earth-roamers.blogspot.com/2015/06/the-new-avon-trailrider.html)
Title: Re: I need new tires for the V7
Post by: Ncdan on August 12, 2017, 09:24:21 PM
I am thinking about trying these Kenda K761 tires.
http://powersports.kendatire.com/en-us/find-a-tire/motorcyclescooter/dual-sportadventure/k761-dual-sport/ (http://powersports.kendatire.com/en-us/find-a-tire/motorcyclescooter/dual-sportadventure/k761-dual-sport/)
I think the 110/80-18 will fit the front, and the rear is the same size as stock. Anyone here ever use Kenda tires?
That's what's on my calvin now. I have pushed them to the limits recently on the DRAGONS TAIL in the NC mountains and they preformed flawlessly. Not sure about mileage as they came on the bike when I got her.
Title: Re: I need new tires for the V7
Post by: SmithSwede on August 13, 2017, 09:46:15 AM
Strongly recommend the Michelin Pilot Activ tires.   Excellent grip, wet or dry.   Handle nice.   I'm getting 10 to 12K on the rear, almost double that for the front.   The front doesn't cup or get a weird shape.
Title: Re: I need new tires for the V7
Post by: Muzz on August 13, 2017, 03:31:17 PM
Interesting no one has mentioned the Bridgestone BT45.
They were a good tire for these roads; lasted longer than the Demons did, no grip concerns for moderate paced riding (the only thing that gets dragged around me is my arthritic butt getting out of bed and my left foot when I walk).
As for supply? Plan ahead if you can. I try to buy next season's tires mid-winter when the stock is being ramped up for spring.

I rode a Breva loaner when mine was in for warranty work. The bike felt terrible; I had no idea where the front end was or what it was doing. No BT45's for me thanks!
Title: Re: I need new tires for the V7
Post by: Yukonica on August 13, 2017, 09:54:27 PM
I rode a Breva loaner when mine was in for warranty work. The bike felt terrible; I had no idea where the front end was or what it was doing. No BT45's for me thanks!
Was it the tires? I went through two fronts and a rear without any surprises. They weren't awe inspiring but they did what I asked.
Not sure where to head next. Michelins get a lot of good press for paved roads but I haven't read much about what they do in the loose stuff. The Kenda's sound interesting but I think the front might be a tad chubby at 110.
And then there's Avon. I only ever had one set. Ever. Maybe they were stale dated when I put them on the bike (long way back) or maybe they were built Friday afternoon after a pub lunch but I don't hold a grudge and will do my reading. Maybe I just had a bad experience.
Title: Re: I need new tires for the V7
Post by: OlofE on November 13, 2017, 05:54:33 AM
Bumping this thread: Lorazepam, are you still happy with the Trailrider tyres? Wear? I'm asking since the rear Goldentyre GT 201 on my Stornello is squaring off at 5000 km (3000 miles). A bit early, isn't it? Otherwise these tyres are great - surprisingly grippy on tarmac, wet and dry. Which now makes me suspect that they are quite soft. So, could the Trail Riders perhaps be a better option?
Title: Re: I need new tires for the V7
Post by: redhawk47 on November 13, 2017, 11:04:04 AM
Bumping this thread: Lorazepam, are you still happy with the Trailrider tyres? Wear? I'm asking since the rear Goldentyre GT 201 on my Stornello is squaring off at 5000 km (3000 miles). A bit early, isn't it? Otherwise these tyres are great - surprisingly grippy on tarmac, wet and dry. Which now makes me suspect that they are quite soft. So, could the Trail Riders perhaps be a better option?
I have about 2000 miles on my Trailriders, almost all pavement, and they are showing little wear. I wanted some 80/20s, tubeless, for my V7II Stone. Avon calls them 90/10, but compared to other brands they are easily 80/20, and I would rate them 70/30. The only Trailrider that will fit the front is a rear tire - I mounted it backwards. Because rear tires have deeper tread than fronts it looks likes a tractor tire; it will probably last for at least three rears. I am not an aggressive rider; I have been very pleased with the handling. On a recent trip with a group that was riding faster than I usually do I had no problems or concerns keeping up.
For more info on durability check out http://earth-roamers.blogspot.nl/. Avon in one of their sponsors, but I think their reviews are honest.
Title: Re: I need new tires for the V7
Post by: redhawk47 on August 01, 2018, 03:29:00 PM
I have about 2000 miles on my Trailriders, almost all pavement, and they are showing little wear. I wanted some 80/20s, tubeless, for my V7II Stone. Avon calls them 90/10, but compared to other brands they are easily 80/20, and I would rate them 70/30. The only Trailrider that will fit the front is a rear tire - I mounted it backwards. Because rear tires have deeper tread than fronts it looks likes a tractor tire; it will probably last for at least three rears. I am not an aggressive rider; I have been very pleased with the handling. On a recent trip with a group that was riding faster than I usually do I had no problems or concerns keeping up.
For more info on durability check out http://earth-roamers.blogspot.nl/. Avon in one of their sponsors, but I think their reviews are honest.

Update on the Avon Trailriders: I put the 110/80-18 rear tire on the front, with the direction arrow pointing backwards. Handling was good, but I am not an aggressive rider. The only off pavement I did was gravel/dirt roads: worked fine, probably better than a street tire. About 8000 miles I noticed that the tire was cupping. About 10,000 miles I noticed that the rubber between the lugs had cracked and you could see the cord pattern!! I was on a trip and had another 1000 miles to go, so I rode it home - no problems. If I remember correctly, the thread depth new was 15mm. At 11,000 miles the thread depth is 6.5mm at best and 4mm by the cupping. So, if it wasn't cracked and cupped it might be good for another 5000 miles. I did not notice any problems with handling, but if it had changed it was gradual. Bottom line: I no longer recommend the Trailrider 110/80-18 rear tire mounted on the front of a V7. I wrote Avon about the cracking, and sent photos. They said that it was probably due to riding with low tire pressure. I started the 4600 mile trip with 36psi. I was "bad", I did not check tire pressure until I got home, it was 30psi. I wouldn't think that that would be low enough to cause the problem, although I had several days that were 95F to 100F. I think that there was not enough rubber over the cords.

I also installed a 130-80-18 Trailrider on the rear at the same time. I replaced it with a new Trailrider at 6000 miles because I was going on a 4600 mile trip. It had at least 2000 mile left on it. No issues.

Dan
Title: Re: I need new tires for the V7
Post by: redhawk47 on August 01, 2018, 03:36:03 PM
I am replacing my Trailriders with Kenda K761s and I have a question:

Which way to mount a 110/80-18 K761 front tire?

Usually a motorcycle tire has an arrow labeled "direction" or "rotation". This tire the arrow is labeled "DRIVE". If you mount the tire with the arrow pointing in the rotation direction the tread pattern is in the same direction as the rear tire. Most dual sport tires mount with the tread pattern in opposite directions. Also, I am told that tractor tires are labeled "DRIVE", and if you mount them on a non-driven wheel (front)you are told to mount them "backwards". What is the proper direction to mount this K761?

Dan
Title: Re: I need new tires for the V7
Post by: slowmover on August 01, 2018, 05:04:34 PM
Getting the Michelins put on my 2013 Stone next week.Have the original tires and 11k on them. The front is wore out and the back still looks good but has a plug I put in 6k miles ago.I’ll be glad to get rid of all the sidewall cracks that were in the Metzlers from the factory.
Title: Re: I need new tires for the V7
Post by: egschade on August 01, 2018, 07:15:17 PM
I went with Pirelli MT60s - radial front / bias rear in order to get the correct sizes (optional 110 on front). Have a few hundred miles and they're better than the Demons in every way. No more tracking ruts or feeling skittish on less than perfect roads. I ride gravel and dirt roads sometimes and these tires perform well. They're stock on the V7 Rough.
Title: Re: I need new tires for the V7
Post by: pyoungbl on August 01, 2018, 08:45:32 PM
Dan, the arrow is for the force being applied...in the rear the arrow should be in the direction of rotation because that's how the drive force is being applied.  Front tires exert force (braking) in the opposite direction so you'd mount that tire with the arrow going 'backward'.
Title: Re: I need new tires for the V7
Post by: alanp on August 01, 2018, 10:50:07 PM
Strongly recommend the Michelin Pilot Activ tires.   Excellent grip, wet or dry.   Handle nice.   I'm getting 10 to 12K on the rear, almost double that for the front.   The front doesn't cup or get a weird shape.

Just another vote for the Pilot Activ's.  I find them to be vastly superior to the Sport Demons - track better, don't follow grooves, better grip, better handling, holding up much better.   The only dirt I ride is graded dirt/gravel, but I think they are better on these as well. 
Title: Re: I need new tires for the V7
Post by: MMRanch on August 01, 2018, 11:23:25 PM
 malik

Quote
I use Avon AM26 Roadriders - work well, better turn in than the Sport Demon & last me a lot longer. Also perform well on the all weather roads up in the Territory (regularly inundated) that plane the rubber off a lot of other tyres. 

OldLegs , said : Avon Roadriders on my V7 very pleased with them , had problems with 2 Pirelli sport demons. Steve.


I've tried a lot of tires over the last 50 years  and I run AM26 , AVON  ROAD RIDERS also .   They don't cost a lot , get great handling , and last two or three times as long as those cheep/soft tires while griping just as good. 

Something you might want to think about … That rear tire drives the speedometer , the speedometer shows 60mph when the GPS tells the bike is only going 56-57mph or so .    If ya go to a 130/90-17 then you'll find the GPS and your Speedometer will agree what your real ground speed is .   :wink:

you can expect  8,ooo to 10,ooo miles out of the rear and near twice that out of the front from the AM26's
and they are speed rated for up to 150 mph .  :grin:
Title: Re: I need new tires for the V7
Post by: redhawk47 on August 01, 2018, 11:43:08 PM
Dan, the arrow is for the force being applied...in the rear the arrow should be in the direction of rotation because that's how the drive force is being applied.  Front tires exert force (braking) in the opposite direction so you'd mount that tire with the arrow going 'backward'.
Something else that adds to my confusion. At the bottom of this page on the Kenda website:
https://powersports.kendatire.com/en-us/find-a-tire/motorcyclescooter/dual-sportadventure/k761-dual-sport/
there are photos of a bike (it looks like a Grom, with small tires) with the front tire mounted "wrong?", i.e., the tread pattern pointed the same way on both tires; the front mounted in the direction of the arrow on my tire.
Title: Re: I need new tires for the V7
Post by: KenB on August 02, 2018, 10:52:12 AM
I replaced the Sport Demons on my '14 V7 Stone with Continental Road Attacks.  Handling is vastly improved!
Title: Re: I need new tires for the V7
Post by: jpv7 on August 02, 2018, 11:32:23 AM
+1...Wow
Title: Re: I need new tires for the V7
Post by: Toecutter on August 02, 2018, 12:01:25 PM
As a daily mud, gravel and sand rider... I cannot say enough good things about my near 4000 km on my new Heidenau K60 tires. Pretty sure this is my lifetime tire from here on in.

Great off pavement, Great on. Good in the rain. Wearing like iron so far. Love them. Run the 110/80 up front.
Title: Re: I need new tires for the V7
Post by: TimmyTheHog on August 02, 2018, 12:34:00 PM
As a daily mud, gravel and sand rider... I cannot say enough good things about my near 4000 km on my new Heidenau K60 tires. Pretty sure this is my lifetime tire from here on in.

Great off pavement, Great on. Good in the rain. Wearing like iron so far. Love them. Run the 110/80 up front.

I got to try that after my next set of the tires...which might be a while as I am rocking Conti RA 3 right now...only put 5000Miles on it and it has well over 60% of the tread left...maybe more.

I was also looking at TKC80 but read that I have to up the size on the front wheel.
Title: Re: I need new tires for the V7
Post by: Toecutter on August 02, 2018, 12:38:37 PM
I got to try that after my next set of the tires...which might be a while as I am rocking Conti RA 3 right now...only put 5000Miles on it and it has well over 60% of the tread left...maybe more.

I was also looking at TKC80 but read that I have to up the size on the front wheel.

You won't find the 100/90 for the front, but the 110/80 fits perfectly, no issues with clearance at all. They "hum" a bit on pavement, but that's to be expected, and it's not that bad.
Title: Re: I need new tires for the V7
Post by: redhawk47 on August 05, 2018, 12:32:15 AM
I am replacing my Trailriders with Kenda K761s and I have a question:

Which way to mount a 110/80-18 K761 front tire?

Usually a motorcycle tire has an arrow labeled "direction" or "rotation". This tire the arrow is labeled "DRIVE". If you mount the tire with the arrow pointing in the rotation direction the tread pattern is in the same direction as the rear tire. Most dual sport tires mount with the tread pattern in opposite directions. Also, I am told that tractor tires are labeled "DRIVE", and if you mount them on a non-driven wheel (front)you are told to mount them "backwards". What is the proper direction to mount this K761?

Dan
OK, I have resolved this, at least in my mind. Yes Peter, you are right.

The Kenda website identifies this tire as a Front tire (some other sizes are Front/Rear) This was part of my confusion. The Tucker-Rocky catalog, and several on-line retailers identify the tire as a Front/Rear tire. This explains why the direction arrow was labeled "DRIVE". (I have seen other F/R tires with two arrows, one labeled Rear and the other Front, This tire has no indicator of F/R besides the Drive label.)

So, I will reinstall the tire, with the Drive arrow pointing "backwards". This will result with the tread patterns pointing in the opposite directions, which is what "all" tires do.

PS: I have emailed Kenda USA and have been promised a response. I'll left you know what they have to say.

Dan
Title: Re: I need new tires for the V7
Post by: benebob on June 24, 2019, 06:29:36 PM
I am replacing my Trailriders with Kenda K761s and I have a question:

Which way to mount a 110/80-18 K761 front tire?

Usually a motorcycle tire has an arrow labeled "direction" or "rotation". This tire the arrow is labeled "DRIVE". If you mount the tire with the arrow pointing in the rotation direction the tread pattern is in the same direction as the rear tire. Most dual sport tires mount with the tread pattern in opposite directions. Also, I am told that tractor tires are labeled "DRIVE", and if you mount them on a non-driven wheel (front)you are told to mount them "backwards". What is the proper direction to mount this K761?

Dan

Dan you still around, would love to hear your thoughts on the k761.  My rear sport demon is ready for the trash and I was a little less than happy with 'em.  Every review I see about hte 761 says it sucks in the rain.  My question is how much as I feel so much more confident with my Shinko big blocks on my tiger then I ever did the sport demon on pavement.  Like the price as I can put 5000 miles on in a month or so if I get riding. 
Title: Re: I need new tires for the V7
Post by: Bulldog9 on June 24, 2019, 07:55:29 PM
Guys in the V7 thread over on ADV are saying the Continental Road Attack 3's are the best tires that they've had on their bikes, including the most popular Avon, Pirelli and Michelin tires mentioned in this thread.

One Rider just compared back to back the stock Pirellis on his v7iii special to another bike set up almost exactly the same with the Continental Road attacks and said the Conti's were Superior. YMMV...
Title: Re: I need new tires for the V7
Post by: kingoffleece on June 24, 2019, 10:25:35 PM
I'm one of those guys.  Conti Road 3 vastly better IMHO than the stockers or Pilot Activ.
Title: Re: I need new tires for the V7
Post by: redhawk47 on June 24, 2019, 10:26:29 PM
Dan you still around, would love to hear your thoughts on the k761.  My rear sport demon is ready for the trash and I was a little less than happy with 'em.  Every review I see about hte 761 says it sucks in the rain.  My question is how much as I feel so much more confident with my Shinko big blocks on my tiger then I ever did the sport demon on pavement.  Like the price as I can put 5000 miles on in a month or so if I get riding.
A couple of thoughts: After some more communication with Kenda I mounted the front tire so it rotates in the direction that the arrow points. I also realized that the tire has "chevrons" that point in both directions.
I am not an aggressive rider; no complaints about the handling. It doesn't rain much here, so I slow down in the rain because I'm not comfortable. The front has about 8000 miles on it and is starting to cup. It has enough tread for another 4000 miles but I'll probably change it along with the rear. The rear has 4000 miles on it and will easily go another 2000, maybe even 4000.
I like to ride dirt roads, so my current choice for replacements is Bridgestone Battlax Adventure A41. They are 90/10s, and radials! Bridgestone says they are very good in the rain.

Dan
Title: Re: I need new tires for the V7
Post by: Chuck in Indiana on June 25, 2019, 07:39:25 AM
I'm one of those guys.  Conti Road 3 vastly better IMHO than the stockers or Pilot Activ.

I'm a fan..  :thumb:
Tire threads are like oil threads..comma but
the performance of the Contis are not to be denied. I tried Conti Trail Attacks on Darth Quota when they first became available. As the old cigarette commercial said, "Try em, you'll like em.." The Road 3s transformed the MZ from a great handling bike to a fantastic handling bike.. The Mighty Scura loves them. The Kid put a set of Classics on his Spot and said they were his favorite tires of all time. YMMV of course, but mine doesn't.  :grin: I wish they were available for the AeroLario.
Title: Re: I need new tires for the V7
Post by: mechanicsavant on June 25, 2019, 07:55:09 AM
I too am in the Conti Ra3 camp . Come on, it’s the 21st century ,bias ply’s really?
Title: Re: I need new tires for the V7
Post by: TimmyTheHog on June 25, 2019, 10:33:17 AM
Conti RA 3 +1

Had them on my V7 before I sold it...it was such a grippy tire...made me feel like a track superstar with the twisties even tho I am no where near being one.

Title: Re: I need new tires for the V7
Post by: benebob on June 25, 2019, 11:11:15 AM
I too am in the Conti Ra3 camp . Come on, it’s the 21st century ,bias ply’s really?

Thanks guys.  Bias plys are so much better for off road and running low pressure.  What is the life of a RA3.  I can't justify 300 tires that I'm replacing every 3-4k for a rear.
Title: Re: I need new tires for the V7
Post by: Andy1 on June 25, 2019, 02:51:11 PM
Nice to hear that everyone likes their NEW tyres......perhaps that is because they are NEW!  And they compare them with the worn out tyres they have just removed?
Andyb
Title: Re: I need new tires for the V7
Post by: Vagrant on June 25, 2019, 04:56:33 PM
3500 on stock rear 6000+ on conti. 6000 stock front i now have 6000 on conti front an it's not down more than 40-50% and i can't believe it either. All twisty mountain roads.
Title: Re: I need new tires for the V7
Post by: mechanicsavant on June 25, 2019, 05:01:53 PM
4K Mi.on my Ra3’s rear is just starting to square off, no chicken strips . Front has minor scalloping . I’m hoping to get another 4K on them. Oh, me about 100kg. W/gear & a heavy right wrist.
Did ya notice how much more economical tires are than plaster of Paris !
Title: Re: I need new tires for the V7
Post by: Beowulf on June 25, 2019, 05:16:59 PM
6000 plus on conti road attack 3. Love it. I think i might have another 5-6000 miles left in them.  :bike-037: will keep buying them.
Title: Re: I need new tires for the V7
Post by: kingoffleece on June 25, 2019, 10:17:05 PM
New tires fool the rider?  Not here.  We use the same circuit to test everything.  Lots of experience and we know what to expect.  The Conti performs quite well.
Title: Re: I need new tires for the V7
Post by: Yukonica on July 06, 2019, 10:21:42 PM
Comments about radials and spoked rims? Radials and tubes?
Title: Re: I need new tires for the V7
Post by: fossil on July 07, 2019, 03:25:17 AM
Comments about radials and spoked rims? Radials and tubes?

Yes, it is allowed to be used with tubes. In Germany we have something called "Reifenfreigabe" (tyre approval). http://www.reifen-freigaben.de/pdf/0883.01.pdf is Contis approval for the Small Block V7. "B1" means: on tube type rims to be used with tubes.
Title: Re: I need new tires for the V7
Post by: Warren Rhen on September 05, 2019, 11:06:04 PM
I can't help but believe everybody is missing the obvious here. To me it's a no brainer conti road attack 3 haven't had them on long enough to check mileage but they work sooo
much better than the oem and the pirelli replacements I had on
Title: Re: I need new tires for the V7
Post by: fossil on September 05, 2019, 11:10:31 PM
I can't help but believe everybody is missing the obvious here. To me it's a no brainer conti road attack 3 haven't had them on long enough to check mileage but they work sooo
much better than the oem and the pirelli replacements I had on

+1 for the no brainer part. As soon as my Dunlop Street Smart (much better than the Pirellis, and much longer living) have to be exchanged it will be the Conti for sure.
Title: Re: I need new tires for the V7
Post by: Richard Tasmania on October 01, 2019, 11:42:03 PM
I am surprised to read that people are getting 7-10,000 kilometres from the Sports Demons. I get 4,000😕.
I don’t really ride that hard, I am not young. Could it be suspension setting?
Thanks
Richard
Tasmania
Title: Re: I need new tires for the V7
Post by: malik on October 02, 2019, 12:28:48 AM
In my time I've had Sport Demons on the V7 - 5 rears & 3 fronts. On the rears I got between 8 -16,000km, and 18 - 28,000km on the front. Significant variations. The wheels have to be balanced, or they wear quickly - at least one of those 8,000kms came after a flat on trip that didn't get balanced afterwards. I get better wear if the  pressures are checked regularly - 36/36 psi seems about right, & 38/38 on trips. Suspension & settings are likely have an effect, but I don't know how you'd measure that reliably. I'm around 80kg & both V7s have after-market suspension.

I've now switched to the Avon AM26 Roadriders - better wear record & I find, better handling. In Tassie you want something that handles well - how many straight roads do you have down there? - only one? Well, maybe one & a half.
Title: Re: I need new tires for the V7
Post by: fossil on October 02, 2019, 04:47:02 AM
It is not the wear that I think is bad with the Sport Demons. It is the grip when it is cold and/or wet. Or grass…. The Dunlop Street Smart are so much better here there is simply no comparison. And the Contis are said to be even better in this regard. Plus they promise to be  much more exact.
Title: Re: I need new tires for the V7
Post by: Richard Tasmania on October 03, 2019, 05:31:04 AM
. In Tassie you want something that handles well - how many straight roads do you have down there? - only one? Well, maybe one & a half.
We got rid of that straight bit! Nothing but twisties now 😁🏍
Title: Re: I need new tires for the V7
Post by: malik on October 03, 2019, 04:02:05 PM
We got rid of that straight bit! Nothing but twisties now 😁🏍

👍 Must be time for another visit down there then. Just to check out the changes, of course.