Wildguzzi.com

General Category => General Discussion => Topic started by: Scud on August 14, 2017, 06:14:36 PM

Title: Alps - Bike Rental Advice and Potential Riding Partner
Post by: Scud on August 14, 2017, 06:14:36 PM
I just got a last-minute work thing that gives me the following riding window:

Arrive Munich, Germany before noon on Friday, August 25.
Get close to Nuremberg by Sunday night (for work Monday and Tuesday)
Return bike to Munich Wednesday morning August 30.

Not too fussy about what bike I would ride - so long as it's comfy and a little sporty. Anybody have advice about where to rent, some good ideas about where to go... or willing to be tour guide / riding partner?

I was thinking about crossing the Alps into Northern Italy. A visit to Mandello del Lario is possible, but it's not the purpose. I just want to find some good riding, scenery, food, and drink. (probably in that order of occurrence and priority.)
Title: Re: Alps - Bike Rental Advice and Potential Riding Partner
Post by: Chuck in Indiana on August 14, 2017, 06:17:37 PM
<looking for jealous emoticon>
Title: Re: Alps - Bike Rental Advice and Potential Riding Partner
Post by: Scud on August 14, 2017, 07:04:17 PM
<looking for jealous emoticon>

You fly us there, I'll rent the bikes.  :cool:
Title: Re: Alps - Bike Rental Advice and Potential Riding Partner
Post by: kingoffleece on August 14, 2017, 08:00:08 PM
Rob Beach of beaches Motorcycle Tours is one of the best in the business.
Family business-second generation.  Operates all over Europe.
Title: Re: Alps - Bike Rental Advice and Potential Riding Partner
Post by: Moz on August 14, 2017, 08:29:10 PM
so 2.5 days riding before work on the Monday? I'd recommend getting down to Mandello or close - great roads there and back with many options..  and you can always take the slab to Nuremburg Sunday night if you're running late - probably safer too if you keep the speed up, riding on Italian roads, good as they are, come with Italian drivers and at night...

A V9 bobber rental from Agostinis at Mandello above Lake Como this July - wish I was back there now..

(https://image.ibb.co/eOAeEv/V9_Como.jpg)

(https://image.ibb.co/h7p6uv/V9_Como_2.jpg)
Title: Re: Alps - Bike Rental Advice and Potential Riding Partner
Post by: Wayne Orwig on August 14, 2017, 08:40:00 PM
Rob Beach of beaches Motorcycle Tours is one of the best in the business.
Family business-second generation.  Operates all over Europe.

I'll second that.

Contact Beaches ASAP. They can likely help you with your rental and more. Great family business.

http://www.bmca.com/
Title: Re: Alps - Bike Rental Advice and Potential Riding Partner
Post by: azguzzirep on August 15, 2017, 07:37:26 AM
From Munich head south to Switzerland and take Spluga pass into Italy. Mandello is only an hour or do from there😊.

Don't forget to buy you vignettes for highway driving.
Title: Re: Alps - Bike Rental Advice and Potential Riding Partner
Post by: Scud on August 15, 2017, 09:54:39 AM
Beaches replied. They no longer offer rentals - they have decided to focus on tours.

Looks like the Moto Guzzi museum is open from 3pm to 4pm Monday to Friday. A whole hour every weekday? That doesn't seem right, but if it is, I can't visit the museum with the time I have available. So if I go to Mandello, it would just be to soak in the vibe (and espresso).

I'm looking at AdMoTours for a rental now. I happened to wander into their office in Wrightwood, CA earlier this year (on my San Andreas Fault ride). They were starting a dirt-bike tour to LAs Vegas that day. Seem like good people... and they offer rental bikes near Munich. Very surprising to see Wrightwood, CA as a contact point when researching rental bikes in Munich...
Title: Re: Alps - Bike Rental Advice and Potential Riding Partner
Post by: Tusayan on August 15, 2017, 04:46:53 PM
BMW Niederlassung Munchen (the factory owned dealer) rents a lot of motorcycles and is really easy to reach, an U-Bahn stop is on their front door step, but they are expensive.  New bikes and reliable service if that's what you need.

http://www.bike-travel-service.de/en/

http://www.bike-travel-service.de/fileadmin/user_upload/Downloads/motorcycle_rentprices_2017.pdf

www.muenchen.bmw-motorrad.de

Title: Re: Alps - Bike Rental Advice and Potential Riding Partner
Post by: Scud on August 15, 2017, 05:57:20 PM
Thanks, good option. I hadn't seen that one yet, and the prices are only slightly higher than other rentals I've looked at.
Title: Re: Alps - Bike Rental Advice and Potential Riding Partner
Post by: Tusayan on August 15, 2017, 10:15:42 PM
You don't have enough time to get very far south or west and then make it back to Nuremberg for work on Monday.  I would sleep on the plane and pick up the bike in Munich on Friday morning. Take the S-Bahn then U-Bahn from Munich airport and you can have that done by noon at the BMW Niederlassung if you choose that option.  The rental company guy there is named Dirk and English is no problem.  Then if you feel OK with jet lag head south towards the Dolomites on Friday afternoon, probably Autobahn from Munich, across the Brenner Pass via Innsbruck before leaving the Italian Autostrada and heading east into the mountains. Be careful and sleep Friday night before riding fast.  On Saturday take a loop through those spectacular Dolomites, you will enjoy it, and stay somewhere in the mountains.  Then get up, enjoy breakfast at the hotel and start north to Nuremberg on Sunday, which will be a very full day of riding.  PM if you need some tips on where to stay Friday or Saturday night.

That is a very 'aggressive' itinerary but it gets the most that's reasonably possible into the weekend.

Another option would be a loop in western Austria for the Saturday ride, riding through Bavarian countryside from Munich to someplace like Landeck, Austria on the Friday instead of across the Brenner.  That's closer to Munich and Nuremberg but perhaps not as spectacular as the Dolomites... and no language/culture change, which is exciting.  Your choice!

You'll need a 10 day sticker for the Austrian autobahn.
Title: Re: Alps - Bike Rental Advice and Potential Riding Partner
Post by: kirkemon on August 15, 2017, 11:14:18 PM
Tusayan is correct.
I went through AdMo in Wrightwood, but when I do it again I will just call Dirk. They will hold your suitcases for you while you're touring. I took out the extra insurance and unlimited kilometers. Be sure to fill the tank when you return.
I took the long way to Bolzano, spent 2 nights there, went up to Nauders, Austria, and back down different routes. Then took the long way to Salzburg trying to get a piece of the Dolomites in.
I wish I could go with you. Great time. Good food and drink!

I highly recommend Bolzano, I've stayed at the Stadt Hotel Citta a couple of different times, excellent.
Title: Re: Alps - Bike Rental Advice and Potential Riding Partner
Post by: Scud on August 15, 2017, 11:34:15 PM
Thanks for the extra input. The more I look, the more I think I should take a relatively short ride into the Austrian Alps on Friday. Get a good sleep and make Saturday the main riding highlight - but not be too aggressive with the distances. I'd like to take a few small hikes too.

I'd probably enjoy a leisurely ride with several stops on the way to Nuremburg.  I'm sure that this little side-trip is just going to make me want to go back for a week or more.

I'm thrilled to be able to squeeze in this short-adventure with my work. Gotta grab those moments when they present themselves.
Title: Re: Alps - Bike Rental Advice and Potential Riding Partner
Post by: Huzo on August 15, 2017, 11:37:11 PM
I'm currently in Finland as we speak en route to Sicily from Nordkapp. Everything's flexible so stay in touch and I'll buy you a Mc Donald's burger :drool: Oz rider is thrashing about somewhere too in these parts. I could meet you at the coffee precinct in Como or Agostini's in Mandello, or, ummmmm...?
Title: Re: Alps - Bike Rental Advice and Potential Riding Partner
Post by: racasey on August 16, 2017, 02:33:55 AM
The recommedation to use AdMo is quite sound.  I've rented bikes in Europe a number of times and AdMo saved the day when a dealer in Frankfurt tried to alter my plans by wanting to substitute a smaller bike for the R1200GS which was contracted.  One call to AdMo, 15 minutes passed, the subject dealer phoned to apologize.

The amount of time you have on this occasion will severely limit what you can do.  There is no need for you to stretch down into the Dolomites when there are many other roads in the Oberbayern south of Munich and into Tirol in western Austria.   The German auto club, ADAC, is a reciprocal to Tripple A in the US, and will gladly give you a free Motorrad Touring Map specifically intended for motorcycle touring in southern Bavaria and Austria.  Here you will find many roads a few hours south of Munich.  The Grossglockner being but one of them.

Austria requires a Vignette sticker on all vehicles operating on the Autobahn.  The vignette can be purchased at every gas station for 9 Euros to cover your short period. Failure to have the vignette affixed is 240 Euros, there is zero sympathy, and cash on the spot is required.  But better is to avoid the Autobahn and ride the many wonderful B roads.  Far more scenic, relaxing, and fun

Vehicle rental periods in Europe differ than in the US.  If you pick up a bike at 1645 on Monday and return it at 0830 the following morning, you will be charged for two days. There is no advantage in returning the vehicles early in the day. 

Eat weisswurst in München, have Nürnberger sausages in Nuremberg and save the bier for after riding. Germans all stop for coffee and cake, and you should too.  There is a cute cafe waiting for you on every mountain road. Have a wonderful trip!

Ciao,
Dick


Title: Re: Alps - Bike Rental Advice and Potential Riding Partner
Post by: Tusayan on August 16, 2017, 11:37:17 AM
The more I look, the more I think I should take a relatively short ride into the Austrian Alps on Friday. Get a good sleep and make Saturday the main riding highlight - but not be too aggressive with the distances.

That's a good plan.  There are many nice places in Austria.  In case you're looking for a good hotel for Saturday night, others who do this regularly have enjoyed the Hotel Enzian in Landeck http://www.hotel-enzian.com/en/tirol-landeck/motorcycle.html (which also rents bikes at fair prices) and the Hotel Jagerhof in Zams http://www.jaegerhof-zams.at/home.html - both three hours by pretty roads from Munich (via Starnberg, Garmisch, Imst) and well suited for starting an Austrian Alpine ride on Saturday. 

If you wanted you could even rent a car at Munich airport, drive direct to the Enzian on Friday morning, rent a bike there through Saturday night and then drive the car to Nuremberg on Sunday.  That might work well if somebody else were paying for the car rental, and if you were concerned about rain when you're working and returning to the airport the following week.

I'm thrilled to be able to squeeze in this short-adventure with my work. Gotta grab those moments when they present themselves.

Absolutely.  Have fun, you'll love it.

Zell am See on Friday night and a loop over the Grossglockner on Saturday is another option... there are many   :grin:
Title: Re: Alps - Bike Rental Advice and Potential Riding Partner
Post by: Scud on August 19, 2017, 09:23:19 AM
Hey guys. Thanks so much for the input. It was a bit of a challenge to find available bikes with short notice, language, and time zone differences... but I have secured an R1200GSA from Bike Travel Service (wanted a smaller bike, but nothing else was available). I also reserved two nights at Hotel Enzian. I would not have found either of these without you.

Now I'm thinking about packing. I have to take a bunch of stuff for work, because the short notice made shipping both uncertain and expensive. I have a Giant Loop Great Basin saddlebag, and I think I'm gonna pack it (under 50 pound limit) and check it on my flight. That makes a simple strap-on for the GSA, which will come with a top-case only.

I'm going to take my mesh riding gear (which has a wind/rain layer), not my leathers. Since I'll be on a GSA, I'd rather be wearing mesh if I find a dirt road to explore.

Title: Re: Alps - Bike Rental Advice and Potential Riding Partner
Post by: Tusayan on August 19, 2017, 11:58:43 PM
I think you're all set.  If you need a locker for storage at the Niederlassung, ask for it when picking up the bike - they have them downstairs and might let you have one.  If you find yourself wanting an Austrian autobahn 10-day sticker, and want to get it out of the way, an ADAC office is across the street (Frankfurter Ring) and English language is OK.

At the Munich airport, if you're taking the train there are only two S-Bahn trains, so 50% chance of success... :laugh: The ticket machines there are confusing so I would stand in the short line near the entrance to the S-Bahn platform and let a human sell you the ticket to Frankfurter Ring.  They are happy to do so and will give you the most economical fare.

Look around the Hotel Enzian on Saturday night 8/26 and say hello to any American motorcyclists who have arrived that day.  You might find they are from quite close to home.  :grin: :wink: 
Title: Re: Alps - Bike Rental Advice and Potential Riding Partner
Post by: Scud on August 24, 2017, 10:59:04 AM
I'm off... thanks again for all the advice.

(https://static.imgzeit.com/reduced/1416d52ecbd99896/IMG_6793.jpg)

Wasn't there a free-motorcycle-airport parking thread a while back? Here's free parking for 1 K-bike at Los Angeles (LAX).

I checked the Giant Loop Great Basin saddlebag - will pick it up in Munich and strap it to the rental bike.
Title: Re: Alps - Bike Rental Advice and Potential Riding Partner
Post by: Scud on September 01, 2017, 12:04:31 AM
Hey Guys -

I had a fabulous trip. Here's a video, which covers getting to Austria and my loop through the Alps on Saturday. I might make another about the balance of the trip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=korsM6brT5s
Title: Re: Alps - Bike Rental Advice and Potential Riding Partner
Post by: SED on September 01, 2017, 12:36:16 AM
Outstanding video Scud!  Great footage and editing.  You must've had a great trip.  I did a few hours of riding like that around Mandello, so your video brings back wonderful memories.  Need to go back.  Thanks for the inspiration!

you must be an old hand at riding in Europe. 

 :thumb:

Can't wait for the next installment.  :popcorn:
Title: Re: Alps - Bike Rental Advice and Potential Riding Partner
Post by: Scud on September 01, 2017, 08:10:35 AM
Actually, this was my first time riding in Europe - I really felt like I put a checkmark on the proverbial bucket list. I was less than 100km away from Mandello Del Lario, but it was just a bit further than I could realistically go with the time I had available.

Did you notice that I was following a red Moto Guzzi Stelvio up the Stelvio pass? That was apropos.
Title: Re: Alps - Bike Rental Advice and Potential Riding Partner
Post by: Tusayan on September 01, 2017, 09:13:07 AM
That's a nice loop, and a good use of the available time.  Stelvio can be a bit of a zoo, but definitely worth seeing.  The road from the south end of Stelvio to Mandello is also slow going, it's not far on the map but it carries a lot of traffic and can be very hot.  You made a better choice with how you did it, and can go to Mandello next time!

I'll be flying to Munich this weekend and starting a similar ride with friends on Tuesday, but heading further south.  I don't think we'll have the same sunny weather in the Alps next week!
Title: Re: Alps - Bike Rental Advice and Potential Riding Partner
Post by: groundhog105 on September 01, 2017, 12:57:08 PM
What a great ride Scud.  I was on those roads last year and I especially liked those little narrow paved goat trails.  You hit some great roads.
Title: Re: Alps - Bike Rental Advice and Potential Riding Partner
Post by: KiwiKev on September 02, 2017, 04:44:45 PM
What's with the cows on the road ?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Title: Re: Alps - Bike Rental Advice and Potential Riding Partner
Post by: Tom on September 02, 2017, 05:11:52 PM
Open range.  Just watch for the cow-pies on the road in curves.  Sometimes the farmers are moving them to another pasture.  Summer thing in the Alps.  If cars or bikes coming the other way signal you to slow down, definitely do that.
Title: Re: Alps - Bike Rental Advice and Potential Riding Partner
Post by: Scud on September 02, 2017, 05:57:32 PM
Here's the second half of my trip. I hope you enjoy it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6VnPmqjZLE
Title: Re: Alps - Bike Rental Advice and Potential Riding Partner
Post by: KiwiKev on September 02, 2017, 09:16:32 PM
Open range.  Just watch for the cow-pies on the road in curves.  Sometimes the farmers are moving them to another pasture.  Summer thing in the Alps.  If cars or bikes coming the other way signal you to slow down, definitely do that.
Cow pies - yum [emoji104]


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Title: Re: Alps - Bike Rental Advice and Potential Riding Partner
Post by: pebra on September 03, 2017, 04:14:36 PM
Thanks, great films, all gemütlichkeit it seemed to me!
Made me want to go to those parts myself. The whole procedure is in this thread!

Title: Re: Alps - Bike Rental Advice and Potential Riding Partner
Post by: kirkemon on September 03, 2017, 06:58:10 PM
Thanks Scud!
Looks like you had good weather and a fabulous time.

Did you like the R1200GSA? I did my Alps trip on a F800GS and it was everything I needed. In fact I'm thinking about going again next year (thanks to your inspiration).
I'd like to head more into the Dolomites this time.
Title: Re: Alps - Bike Rental Advice and Potential Riding Partner
Post by: Scud on September 03, 2017, 09:48:45 PM
The 1200GSA was a great mount for this trip - although I thought I was gonna drop it the first time I deployed the side-stand on a slope. I had a few stretches of Autobahn and it just purred along effortlessly at 180 kph. My preference would have been to rent a smaller bike, like the F800GS - but I have no complaints about the 1200.

The Enzian Hotel has rental bikes, which they can reserve for you at the same time as your room. It would be fun to stay there for several days and take a different bike out each day.
Title: Re: Alps - Bike Rental Advice and Potential Riding Partner
Post by: SED on September 05, 2017, 11:19:25 PM
Here's the second half of my trip. I hope you enjoy it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6VnPmqjZLE

Another great video.  Impressed with the loose surface and "green lane" riding. Looks like you ride comfortably on the big BMW.

Thanks!
Title: Re: Alps - Bike Rental Advice and Potential Riding Partner
Post by: Tusayan on September 06, 2017, 09:17:36 AM
I'd like to head more into the Dolomites this time.

You'd surely enjoy it. I'm heading to Sardinia but spent the day riding down out of the Dolomites - it is fantastic, among others we did Valles, Rolle, Aune, Vezzena and Sommo passes today.   Twisty roads from 9 AM to 4 PM, with one stop for fuel, a short coffee break and a short lunch break.  We did 160 miles or so in the day - the short distances possible being something that a lot of people don't understand until they see it for themselves, but on the other hand if you want to get home or to another area fast you get on the main road and zap there pretty quickly.

I'm riding with friends including one of the guys Scud met in Austria, whose girlfriend is resting with my wife before they fly 90 minutes together on a cheap airline flight to meet us... after we've had three solid days of riding and an overnight ferry to get there! A great time for everybody.
Title: Re: Alps - Bike Rental Advice and Potential Riding Partner
Post by: Scud on September 06, 2017, 01:23:55 PM
Another great video.  Impressed with the loose surface and "green lane" riding. Looks like you ride comfortably on the big BMW.

Thanks!

Ha - that narrow paved road surprised me when it turned to dirt. The GSA had street-oriented tires on, but it's heavy and has all that traction-control wizardry... it felt fine on the dirt road. It would be fun to push it on some more technical terrain.