Wildguzzi.com

General Category => General Discussion => Topic started by: bigbikerrick on March 09, 2018, 09:55:37 AM

Title: "Sons of Speed" resurrecting board track racing video.
Post by: bigbikerrick on March 09, 2018, 09:55:37 AM
Hello Folks ,this is a cool video, a friend sent me,about doing a modern day board track race. I think you guys and Gals will enjoy it.
Rick.

https://vimeo.com/234526619
Title: Re: "Sons of Speed" resurrecting board track racing video.
Post by: bigbikerrick on March 09, 2018, 09:59:39 AM
I dont know why the "privacy settings " banner came up, but if you click on the  vimeo  box,you can see the video.  Moderators.I hope this does not violate the forums click bait rules, but if it does, I apologize, and feel free to delete the post.
Rick.
Title: Re: "Sons of Speed" resurrecting board track racing video.
Post by: Sasquatch Jim on March 09, 2018, 11:03:29 AM
 Aye like that!
Title: Re: "Sons of Speed" resurrecting board track racing video.
Post by: ohiorider on March 09, 2018, 04:39:36 PM
Rick, thanks for posting this link.  Enjoyable to see old engines in replica frames on the track, and not just in a museum.

Bob
Title: Re: "Sons of Speed" resurrecting board track racing video.
Post by: oldbike54 on March 09, 2018, 08:03:13 PM
  :thumb:

 Dusty
Title: Re: "Sons of Speed" resurrecting board track racing video.
Post by: Yukonica on March 09, 2018, 09:37:47 PM
Watched it twice: back to back. Then bookmarked it for later. I like it.
It would be great to have a thread dedicated to bringing cool videos like this to other member's attention.
Title: Re: "Sons of Speed" resurrecting board track racing video.
Post by: jas67 on March 09, 2018, 10:23:42 PM
 :thumb:
Title: Re: "Sons of Speed" resurrecting board track racing video.
Post by: bigbikerrick on March 10, 2018, 10:42:05 AM
I think what Billy Lane is doing is super cool! Finding old engines used in other applications, and restoring them, to function in a motorcycle again is fantastic!
I wonder if they are going to re create an actual board track?
That would be really cool, and nostalgic.
Rick.
Title: Re: "Sons of Speed" resurrecting board track racing video.
Post by: Denis on March 11, 2018, 07:58:21 PM
I think someone in Germany has built a board track. Saw a YouTube video of it recently but can't remember how old it was. Not more than 5-6 year old video, I'd guess.

The cost, labor and maintenance board tracks required was astronomical. Boards bowed or split, nails backed out, etc. Board track bikes had no suspension of any kind so riding on those tracks was probably pretty brutal.

I'd love to have a board tracker to ride on a paved track!

Title: Re: "Sons of Speed" resurrecting board track racing video.
Post by: oldbike54 on March 11, 2018, 08:15:28 PM
 Yep , when new those old board tracks were not bad , but after a couple of seasons the warping had turned them into a pretty nasty propositions . There was a board track in Los Angeles that was 2 miles around  :shocked:

 Dusty
Title: Re: "Sons of Speed" resurrecting board track racing video.
Post by: Denis on March 11, 2018, 08:34:48 PM
Yep , when new those old board tracks were not bad , but after a couple of seasons the warping had turned them into a pretty nasty propositions . There was a board track in Los Angeles that was 2 miles around  :shocked:

 Dusty

The shorter ones, especially the 1/8 mile tracks, were referred to as "Murderdromes." They were all closed by 1928 although one, I think Rockingham Park in Salem, New Hampshire turned into a horse racing venue that was finally demolished last year.

On August 21, 1926, M. L. "Curly" Fredericks, on an Altoona Indian, set the record for the fastest speed 120.3mph a motorcycle would ever reach on a board track.