Wildguzzi.com

General Category => General Discussion => Topic started by: Kristian on March 15, 2018, 01:31:21 PM

Title: Sport 1100 Pricing
Post by: Kristian on March 15, 2018, 01:31:21 PM
While they're rare enough that it is a smidge difficult to establish firm pricing, what do you think a 4.2K-mile, bone-stock, '95 Sport 1100 is worth?

Kristian
Title: Re: Sport 1100 Pricing
Post by: Lumpy Idle on March 15, 2018, 01:34:18 PM
between $4k-$5.5K depending. low mileage is a nice bonus.
Title: Re: Sport 1100 Pricing
Post by: rocker59 on March 15, 2018, 03:44:09 PM

I concur.  $3500 - $5500 depending on condition.

The low miles is OK, but poor cosmetics would keep it at the bottom of the price range.

And honestly, I'd rather buy a bike with the right upgrades.  Things like a Staintune exhaust and Kehin FCR carbs make the bikes run better, and I'd be willing to pay for that. 

In "bone-stock" form, the USA Carb Sports needed some tweaking to run right.  The jetting was off and they breath much better with a nice crossover in the exhaust.
Title: Re: Sport 1100 Pricing
Post by: Lumpy Idle on March 15, 2018, 04:04:09 PM
I concur.  $3500 - $5500 depending on condition...

i suspect that this will get a bump during the upcoming riding season.  a couple of reasons; medicandy has herded the available inventory into his garage - scarcity bumps prices, and the renewed interest in daytonas and their costiness will reflect  to their poorer cousins the sport 1100 models. IMO the sport 1100's are undervalued. this will change and i'm not just saying that because i plan to put mine up on the market in a month or so.
Title: Re: Sport 1100 Pricing
Post by: Kristian on March 15, 2018, 04:19:08 PM
Where have you guys seen prices like that on near mint Sports? I'm not talking about bikes folks call "mint," meaning they have no major damage, but are otherwise unwashed for the last several years, as is common. Seen it too often.

The last one on Ebay sold early last fall for $6,200, a really nice black one; though a mint 1,400-miler just failed to sell at $8,900, which was too much.

I have one available locally in good condition but with 60K+ miles for $4,300. That's the cheapest I've seen in a while.

The one I'm looking at is $7K; too much.

Kristian
Title: Re: Sport 1100 Pricing
Post by: LowRyter on March 15, 2018, 04:32:16 PM
It doesn't seem like any generation of spineframe Guzzi is getting any cheaper now.  They're not making any more and it looks like they've all hit bottom price already.  Owners are going through all kinds hoops to keep them running and improving them.  They are an enjoyable and good looking motorcycle.

Just my observation and opinion. 
Title: Re: Sport 1100 Pricing
Post by: sdcr on March 15, 2018, 05:11:11 PM
This....
I know I am probably in the minority here, but I believe that some day, both the injected and carb Sport 1100' s will start to appreciate in value. I don't disagree, that current market prices are as low as $3500.
I've had both carb and injected Sports, and they are superb motorcycles, IMHO.
It doesn't seem like any generation of spineframe Guzzi is getting any cheaper now.  They're not making any more and it looks like they've all hit bottom price already.  Owners are going through all kinds hoops to keep them running and improving them.  They are enjoyable and good looking motorcycle.

Justy my observation and opinion.
Title: Re: Sport 1100 Pricing
Post by: Guzzidad on March 15, 2018, 07:10:31 PM
   I bought my 96 Sport in 98 with 3500 miles on it for $6400. I put the next 121,000 miles on it until I parked it in 2006. It's a little dusty now but cosmetically nearly perfect. Now that I'm retired I plan to freshen her up and let her breathe again. No argument that the modern bikes are just SO much better, but no bike I've had since then has matched the feeling I had riding Gina.
   I absolutely love riding my 01 EV and my 2012 Norge. And I put well over 100,000 miles on an 04 Triumph Tiger and 45,000 miles on a Buell Ulysses, But that 96 Sport is still my favorite bike of all time. It would take a rediculous amount of money for me to sign the title over.
Title: Re: Sport 1100 Pricing
Post by: arveno on March 15, 2018, 08:29:10 PM
there is a Daytona for sale in the classified for 8500 .

just saying............. .........

The last 1100 sport silver sold in PA for 5 k and had a full staintune exhaust .

Anyway , why are you asking ? If you like it and it is in your price range buy it.

A good deal is when seller and buyer are both happy , otherwise is not a good deal.

Title: Re: Sport 1100 Pricing
Post by: MedicAndy on March 15, 2018, 08:41:55 PM
Where have you guys seen prices like that on near mint Sports? I'm not talking about bikes folks call "mint," meaning they have no major damage, but are otherwise unwashed for the last several years, as is common. Seen it too often.

The last one on Ebay sold early last fall for $6,200, a really nice black one; though a mint 1,400-miler just failed to sell at $8,900, which was too much.


I wanted to buy the 1.4k miles eBay bike two weeks ago, but I don't think that the owner really wanted to sell this bike. This was the one bike color that I have missing in my collection, so I offered the seller $7.5k, assuming that he would counter, which he didn't. He just said "nope". I was going to up my offer to $8k, under the stipulation that I was going to talk to the owner on the phone first, but he refused, with him telling me that I could ask all questions in writing. I attempted to tell the owner that this bike will need some work, like: replacing of the original tires, a Will Creedon chip, a good tuning, all new filters and seals, and a couple of other small things, but he just came back with "I'm a BMW Master Mechanic", this bike rides great and needs nothing but new tires. He also stated four times to me in writing that "I don't need to sell this bike, and my asking price shows this".

So, I thought that I was stepping up to the plate at $8k, especially looking at another $1k to get this bike shipped to my home, and then another $1k to get her setup and sorted out. So I was going to be into this bike for $10k total. Maybe a little much for a stock bike without having a nice exhaust, but this is still a really low milage, maybe the lowest milage 1100 Sport left out there. I valued this bike right inline with my ex-museum bike, but my bike has the upgraded exhaust, Creedon Chip, polished aluminum, and it came fully serviced and tuned by Moto Motivo.

And for the future value of these bikes, I do believe that they will eventually go up in value. How much, maybe to around $8k to $10k for a nice bike? Also, $10k is a lot of money for spending on an older bike, especially if for instance a new Honda African Twin can be bought for only a couple of $$ more. So I foresee that most of the 1100 Sports will end up in private collections within the next ten years, so they will become harder and harder to find or buy as time goes by.

But, those are just my thoughts. I'm buying the 1100's because I like to ride and look at them, they are my hobby. I'm not buying them as an investment, since I will never sell them.

So, as always, please let me know of any 1100's out there for sale! :) I'm looking to buy me many more...... :)


(http://thumb.ibb.co/iRSn9c/fullsizeoutput_20190.jpg) (http://ibb.co/iRSn9c)

how to upload photo to forum (http://imgbb.com/)


Title: Re: Sport 1100 Pricing
Post by: arveno on March 15, 2018, 08:52:53 PM
https://nashville.craigslist.org/mcy/d/rare-1997-moto-guzzi-1100/6526670334.html

 :popcorn:
Title: Re: Sport 1100 Pricing
Post by: MedicAndy on March 15, 2018, 08:57:41 PM
there is a Daytona for sale in the classified for 8500 .

just saying............. .........

The last 1100 sport silver sold in PA for 5 k and had a full staintune exhaust .


The PA bike had 58k miles on the clock, and it did sell for almost the total asking price, which shows that there are people out there who are starting to pay higher prices for these bikes. I am someone who likes to buy low milage bikes, it's just my thing. I do however now wish that I would have bought the PA bike, if only to strip the Staintune exhaust and Keihin carbs from the bike, then to re-install stock parts, and then to sell this bike again for maybe $3.5k or a little more.

Next time! I paid $3.5k for my silver 11.2k miles 1996 1100, so it's hard for me to pay higher prices for bikes with 5X the milage, buy I'm realizing now that the 1100's are getting more costly now.

This is my silver 1996 Spot

(http://thumb.ibb.co/cymx9c/fullsizeoutput_200f9.jpg) (http://ibb.co/cymx9c)

upload photos to internet (http://imgbb.com/)

(http://thumb.ibb.co/b8ravH/fullsizeoutput_200f5.jpg) (http://ibb.co/b8ravH)
Title: Re: Sport 1100 Pricing
Post by: MedicAndy on March 15, 2018, 09:04:23 PM
https://nashville.craigslist.org/mcy/d/rare-1997-moto-guzzi-1100/6526670334.html

 :popcorn:

:) I talked o this guy too, and this is also a great stock bike, but I already have two yellow 1997's, so $10k to $11k in total for shipping and getting this bike setup and sorted is a little steep for me. But, I would may think different if I didn't have a couple of yellow 1100's already.

Thanks for posting the info!


(http://thumb.ibb.co/h2tDFH/fullsizeoutput_20028.jpg) (http://ibb.co/h2tDFH)

(http://thumb.ibb.co/gNKg2x/15822763_10207842300047546_476802574458671447_n.jpg) (http://ibb.co/gNKg2x)

get a url for a picture (http://imgbb.com/)
Title: Re: Sport 1100 Pricing
Post by: Devildog on March 15, 2018, 09:06:13 PM

(http://thumb.ibb.co/hMFFUc/image.jpg) (http://ibb.co/hMFFUc)

I don't believe there will be any more $5k super condition low mileage Sports in the future, $7k will be the new baseline. Again just my opinion.
Title: Re: Sport 1100 Pricing
Post by: MedicAndy on March 15, 2018, 09:20:38 PM

(http://thumb.ibb.co/hMFFUc/image.jpg) (http://ibb.co/hMFFUc)

I don't believe there will be any more $5k super condition low mileage Sports in the future, $7k will be the new baseline. Again just my opinion.

I fully agree with your starting cost of a nice lower milage 1100. I walked away from two low cost 97's two years ago, what a mistake...... I should have bought those bikes as future projects, or even just as donor bikes.......

But, no crying over mist 1100 buys!
Title: Re: Sport 1100 Pricing
Post by: Kristian on March 15, 2018, 09:47:44 PM

(http://thumb.ibb.co/hMFFUc/image.jpg) (http://ibb.co/hMFFUc)

I don't believe there will be any more $5k super condition low mileage Sports in the future, $7k will be the new baseline. Again just my opinion.

Lovely.

Well, that's what my seller wants for his 4K-miler, though it needs a couple of smaller things.
Title: Re: Sport 1100 Pricing
Post by: rocker59 on March 15, 2018, 10:52:28 PM
I'm glad to see some interest in these bikes.  The recent higher sales prices are a new thing, and I hope it's not just some fluke.

A few years ago, when thinking of thinning my herd, I offered my well-equipped Sport 1100 at $4,000 with not one inquiry.

$2500 exhaust, $1000 carbs, $800 front brakes.  Spare set of OEM wheels.  Not one inquiry.

Times change.
Title: Re: Sport 1100 Pricing
Post by: Tusayan on March 15, 2018, 11:11:07 PM
With prices in the range being discussed here, I would not hesitate spend $1K or even $2K more to get a pristine, low mileage bike with valuable accessories. 

As with anything nice that's bottomed out in value, buy the best you can find because it won't cost much more than a rough example. 
Title: Re: Sport 1100 Pricing
Post by: Devildog on March 16, 2018, 07:41:23 AM
I agree with Andy, the owner of the black Sporti in SF was testing the waters, not a serious seller. If Andy was willing to pay $8k, that was a generous offer. The seller had a lovely LeMans II priced at $9500, again not a serious price, but maybe in a few years?
If you wanted to collect Italian sport bikes and Ducati prices gave you sticker shock, a $7k Sport would look like a bargain.
Title: Re: Sport 1100 Pricing
Post by: MedicAndy on March 16, 2018, 08:21:58 AM
there is a Daytona for sale in the classified for 8500 .

just saying............. .........


Please copy a link to this classified section. I like to see if this Daytona for $8.5k asking is either: Wrecked, a scam, has 100k miles on the clock, for sale in South America, or has a salvage title, since I can't see someone selling a Daytona today for a giveaway price.

Andy

Title: Re: Sport 1100 Pricing
Post by: Nic in Western NYS on March 16, 2018, 08:30:17 AM
Please copy a link to this classified section. I like to see if this Daytona for $8.5k asking is either: Wrecked, a scam, has 100k miles on the clock, for sale in South America, or has a salvage title, since I can't see someone selling a Daytona today for a giveaway price.

Andy
All it takes is one or two very motivated buyers to move a market that's so thin.  If those buyers evaporate...
Title: Re: Sport 1100 Pricing
Post by: LowRyter on March 16, 2018, 09:56:35 AM
even the later V11 models have appeared to hit bottom a couple of years ago
Title: Re: Sport 1100 Pricing
Post by: rocker59 on March 16, 2018, 11:16:10 AM
Please copy a link to this classified section. I like to see if this Daytona for $8.5k asking is either: Wrecked, a scam, has 100k miles on the clock, for sale in South America, or has a salvage title, since I can't see someone selling a Daytona today for a giveaway price.

Andy

d00d.  Seriously?

http://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=94917.0

http://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=94918.msg1502367#msg1502367

 

Title: Re: Sport 1100 Pricing
Post by: MedicAndy on March 16, 2018, 11:50:19 AM
d00d.  Seriously?

http://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=94917.0

http://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=94918.msg1502367#msg1502367

My bad, I did not see the listing! However, not even a single picture, besides stating pristine condition with the 26k miles, is given. I don't know much about Daytonas, but I just looked at some resent sales, and they go for about $10k - $11k for a lower milage, less than 10k miles bike in pristine condition. So my earlier remark about salvage title, scam,...... were very wrong. This bike is probably worth it's $8.5k asking price with 26k miles on the clock. I called and left a message to Larry about wanting to see some pictures and get some better details about this bike. So, lets wait and see if something comes of it.

Thanks,

Andy
Title: Re: Sport 1100 Pricing
Post by: arveno on March 16, 2018, 12:25:07 PM
My bad, I did not see the listing! However, not even a single picture, besides stating pristine condition with the 26k miles, is given. I don't know much about Daytonas, but I just looked at some resent sales, and they go for about $10k - $11k for a lower milage, less than 10k miles bike in pristine condition. So my earlier remark about salvage title, scam,...... were very wrong. This bike is probably worth it's $8.5k asking price with 26k miles on the clock. I called and left a message to Larry about wanting to see some pictures and get some better details about this bike. So, lets wait and see if something comes of it.

Thanks,

Andy

Hey ,

The owner is an old school man not an internet freak so no pics available , as the ad says .

There is a location and a phone # , call .

ciao

no scam here on wilguzzi , have some respect for the old generation...... :laugh:


Bike is perfect w/lots of extras on it. 26Kmi  $8500
For more info call Larry Cecil  630 837 2670
He is the second owner. I also knew the 1st owner, been maintained & very nice. Medical issues w/his knees is the only reason for sale.

In Bartlet, IL        It spent 1/2 it's life in KS  It was Earl's, if you know him from the rallies.
You won't see it listed on the internet anywhere, he's analog. His wife is supposed to be taking pics soon.

Title: Re: Sport 1100 Pricing
Post by: rocker59 on March 16, 2018, 12:30:08 PM
My bad, 

No worries.  guzzisteve is a longtime member and wouldn't steer us wrong.  1,000 miles per year, so it shouldn't be shagged.  If the cosmetics are decent, it's a pretty good price for a Daytona 1000.

Main differences between the Daytona 1000 and Sport 1100 are engine and bodywork.

Airbox in the tail of the Daytona, rather than under the tank.  Daytona 1000s don't have the ram air intakes on the fairing, like the Sport 1100 does.  As I recall, front brakes on the Daytona 1000 are 300mm vs. the later standard 320mm of the Sport 1100.

Chassis-wise, Daytona 1000 and Sport 1100 are the same.
Title: Re: Sport 1100 Pricing
Post by: Kristian on March 16, 2018, 01:22:04 PM

Main differences between the Daytona 1000 and Sport 1100 are engine and bodywork.

Airbox in the tail of the Daytona, rather than under the tank.  Daytona 1000s don't have the ram air intakes on the fairing, like the Sport 1100 does.  As I recall, front brakes on the Daytona 1000 are 300mm vs. the later standard 320mm of the Sport 1100.

Chassis-wise, Daytona 1000 and Sport 1100 are the same.

A few other things, too: Daytona front engine mount is bolted on; driveshaft does not have grease fittings; and you're dealing with a 25-year old fuel injection system that will need additional care and feeding. Hopefully it's had the oil pump update done, which is a known failure item.

Interestingly, they were no quicker or faster than Sport 1100s, though stock they fuelled a bit better. Identical top speeds (ca. 135 MPH) according to a period review, but slightly slower in the quarter than Sports.

Desperately pretty, though. Really doesn't get any better.
Title: Re: Sport 1100 Pricing
Post by: Tusayan on March 16, 2018, 07:34:53 PM
An early Daytona or US/CH/NZ spec RS makes about 10-15 HP more than an 1100 Sport.  An RS in rest of the world C-Kit cam spec makes 20-25 HP more than an 1100 Sport.  I’ve owned both Sport and Daytona.  The Daytona is faster and smoother, the Sport feels lighter.

Magazine articles in this era are not a good guide, the bikes (none of them) didn’t run properly out of the crate and had varying degrees of tweaking before the magazines got them for test.

Only the very first few Daytona had no driveshaft grease fittings and IIRC it was a recall item.
Title: Re: Sport 1100 Pricing
Post by: MedicAndy on March 16, 2018, 08:48:23 PM
A few other things, too: Daytona front engine mount is bolted on; driveshaft does not have grease fittings; and you're dealing with a 25-year old fuel injection system that will need additional care and feeding. Hopefully it's had the oil pump update done, which is a known failure item.




I talked to the seller "Larry" in person a couple of hours ago, and he is a super nice guy! He doesn't know if the oil pump was replaced, and the bike will need new rotors and pads, but that should be it. This bike does look great! I made him an offer, but I have not heard back from him yet. So, lets wait and see! I may go on a road trip next weekend to pick up a Daytona..... I also contacted the owner on another eBay 4.5k miles 1993 Daytona (I like low milage bikes) out of Miami to find out on what his reserve is, but I also have not heard back from him yet either.


Title: Re: Sport 1100 Pricing
Post by: Turin on March 16, 2018, 08:53:12 PM
Quote
This....
I know I am probably in the minority here, but I believe that some day, both the injected and carb Sport 1100' s will start to appreciate in value. I don't disagree, that current market prices are as low as $3500.
:1:

Quote

An early Daytona or US/CH/NZ spec RS makes about 10-15 HP more than an 1100 Sport.  An RS in rest of the world C-Kit cam spec makes 20-25 HP more than an 1100 Sport.  I’ve owned both Sport and Daytona.  The Daytona is faster and smoother, the Sport feels lighter.

Magazine articles in this era are not a good guide, the bikes (none of them) didn’t run properly out of the crate and had varying degrees of tweaking before the magazines got them for test.


This is also correct. As delivered, Daytona's in particular are almost a kit bike. A bone Stock Daytona RS or Centauro is almost un-rideable. Once set up properly... yikes!
Title: Re: Sport 1100 Pricing
Post by: MedicAndy on March 16, 2018, 09:40:33 PM
I agree with Andy, the owner of the black Sporti in SF was testing the waters, not a serious seller. If Andy was willing to pay $8k, that was a generous offer. The seller had a lovely LeMans II priced at $9500, again not a serious price, but maybe in a few years?
If you wanted to collect Italian sport bikes and Ducati prices gave you sticker shock, a $7k Sport would look like a bargain.

I just saw where the SF seller of the 97 Sport has just re-listed the LM III for $1k less then two weeks ago. He does now state that he will not talk to any possible buyers in person over the phone. I guess he did not learn from loosing me as a buyer for his 97 that a lot of people will not pay up to $10k (total cost with shipping, if needed) without talking to the seller first. Let's wait and see if he will also re-list his 97 Sport....
Title: Re: Sport 1100 Pricing
Post by: Turin on March 17, 2018, 12:21:19 AM
Dude, You really need a Daytona. It is the bike that spawned the 1100 sports.
Title: Re: Sport 1100 Pricing
Post by: jacksonracingcomau on March 17, 2018, 04:27:58 AM
:1:
 

This is also correct. As delivered, Daytona's in particular are almost a kit bike. A bone Stock Daytona RS or Centauro is almost un-rideable. Once set up properly... yikes!
How true, not just these bikes
Only assembled for ease of transport, put it together properly yourself
EFI sorting just a new twist to old grease the bearings, check clearancea etc, etc
This thread makes me want to buy a V10, any unused left ?
Fixable for sure , all of them
Title: Re: Sport 1100 Pricing
Post by: Chuck in Indiana on March 17, 2018, 06:52:40 AM
Kit bike? Back in the day, I said the only reason they assembled the Centauro was to make sure you got all the parts..  :smiley:
Title: Re: Sport 1100 Pricing
Post by: pressureangle on March 17, 2018, 07:34:27 AM
I paid $3500 for mine last year. $1500 of paint, sensors and washing, $700 for MyECU controller and tune up, $700 Mistral carbon cans and it's worth every penny.
Some of you saw it at Martin's Sat. for the Bike week meet.

I feel like I got a bargain, though I do all my own work.
Title: Re: Sport 1100 Pricing
Post by: MedicAndy on March 31, 2018, 08:49:22 PM
i suspect that this will get a bump during the upcoming riding season.  a couple of reasons; medicandy has herded the available inventory into his garage - scarcity bumps prices, and the renewed interest in daytonas and their costiness will reflect  to their poorer cousins the sport 1100 models. IMO the sport 1100's are undervalued. this will change and i'm not just saying that because i plan to put mine up on the market in a month or so.

I was going to buy me a nice 93 Daytona from one of our members here, but a couple of things happened, non were the Daytona owners faults, so that this deal is put on hold for now. Ironically enough, the one 1100 Sport color "Black / Nero" of the 1100 Sports original factory offerings that I had missing in my collection and missed out on buying about two weeks ago was re-listed on eBay. The seller and I finally came to a buying / selling price of that bike that we both can live with, so I finally added a Nero 1997 1100 Sporti with only 1388 original miles to the stable earlier this week. I must say that this 1100 Sport had the highest purchase price of the seven that I own now, not by too much however, but this bike came with a set of newly last week installed Pirelli tires, and she was also just fully serviced. I think that I did pretty good, especially looking at the condition of this 21 year old bike, which looks as good as any newly sold 2018 bike does. I think that I'm good now with buying anymore 1100 Sports, but I will keep my eyes open for a possible good 1997 parts bike or two.


(http://thumb.ibb.co/iftMen/fullsizeoutput_2044c.jpg) (http://ibb.co/iftMen)


(http://thumb.ibb.co/bYm2kS/s_l1600.jpg) (http://ibb.co/bYm2kS)


(http://thumb.ibb.co/jkxa5S/s_l1600.jpg) (http://ibb.co/jkxa5S)


(http://thumb.ibb.co/iADF5S/s_l1600.jpg) (http://ibb.co/iADF5S)


upload image to a post on web (http://imgbb.com/)

(http://thumb.ibb.co/gQRDs7/s_l1600.jpg) (http://ibb.co/gQRDs7)

(http://thumb.ibb.co/kb1Pzn/fullsizeoutput_203b5.jpg) (http://ibb.co/kb1Pzn)

Title: Re: Sport 1100 Pricing
Post by: Turin on April 01, 2018, 12:36:15 AM
That's be the one I'd pick if I was after an 1100 sport.
Title: Re: Sport 1100 Pricing
Post by: Chuck in Indiana on April 01, 2018, 05:56:33 AM
Nice find, Andy..  :thumb:
Title: Re: Sport 1100 Pricing
Post by: Devildog on April 01, 2018, 10:42:29 AM
Well done for keeping at it, this was the seller who wrote, "don't phone me I'm too busy"!
Title: Re: Sport 1100 Pricing
Post by: Furbo on April 02, 2018, 09:42:58 PM
IMHO,

the Carb Sports were the last bike Guzzi made that should've worn the Le Mans label. 
Title: Re: Sport 1100 Pricing
Post by: rocker59 on April 02, 2018, 10:20:17 PM
IMHO,

the Carb Sports were the last bike Guzzi made that should've worn the Le Mans label.

Yes.  Agreed.  Don't know why they used "Sport 1100" as a companion to "Daytona".

Should've been LeMans 1100.  LeMans VI.  Etc....

I actually considered having some "LeMans 1100" decals made for the tail section of my Sport 1100 back in the late '90s.  Was thinking of buying one of those accessory solo tail sections and using the LeMans 1100 Decals on it.  Never got around to it, though.
Title: Re: Sport 1100 Pricing
Post by: Devildog on April 03, 2018, 10:03:17 AM
I think we need more pics and feedback from Kristian on his new Sport purchase.....after all he started this thread!
Title: Re: Sport 1100 Pricing
Post by: ajpjive on April 10, 2018, 04:12:27 PM
Hi all!

Sorry to bump this post with a bike-specific question, but there's an 1100 Sport available somewhat near me, and I'm quite interested in acquiring one. That said, I'm A-Ok with waiting, it's about 8hr away, and I'd have to deal with moving the bike again when we relocate to Michigan in August.

The bike is a '96 with 33500 miles on the clock and is supposed to be in pretty good condition. Stock exhaust and carburetors, according to the owner. Original airbox is gone with K&N filters instead. He did drop a different transmission in the bike a number of years back, although I'm not sure what model it's off of (he described it as a 'touring transmission' with a much lower 4th and 5th). I'm also somewhat confused on the wheels, as I thought the silver wheels were on the '97 FI bikes, not the '96's. Additionally the bike's presently wearing HeliBars and an aftermarket fairing, but the original fairing and bars are included. The seller's asking $4,000.

What do you think, is this a kickin' deal I should swing for, or should I wait and see what else comes available? I think my 'dream' 1100 Sport is a yellow '97, but I was always partial to the black too.

Thanks in advance!

Here are some pictures he sent on over:
(https://i.imgur.com/9ZBJK8il.jpg)
(https://i.imgur.com/OtQxqR6l.jpg)
(https://i.imgur.com/v88L7Jvl.jpg)

Title: Re: Sport 1100 Pricing
Post by: Devildog on April 10, 2018, 04:43:06 PM
This is just my opinion...I would urge caution. It may be a great bike, or it may be a money pit to get sorted. If you spend very much sorting it you will exceed the value of a stock, lower mileage bike, and
if and when you ever want to sell it, a stock bike will find a lot more buyer interest.
MedicAndy will likely give his 2 cents.
Title: Re: Sport 1100 Pricing
Post by: Turin on April 10, 2018, 08:48:10 PM
These are not exactly the barcalounger of the Guzzi family tree, so I cam see why someone would put those fugly controls and fairing on this bike. Check why the tranny was swapped. Bad 5th gear?  Guzzi owners are a thrifty bunch and one installing a cali trans wouldn't surprise me.

Mufflers and crossover are aftermarket ( not necessarily a bad thing ).

Could be a decent buy. If all the stock pieces are in good shape I'd jump on it before MedicAndy sniffs it out.  :grin:
Title: Re: Sport 1100 Pricing
Post by: ajpjive on April 10, 2018, 09:54:54 PM
Thanks for the input guys! I've had similar concerns of it possibly being an extreme money pit if things turn out to be poorly sorted.

Went ahead and contacted the owner, and he gave me a bit of other information on the transmission. I was told the one installed is from an 850 T3. He said the stock transmission is in fine shape (and included in the sale), he just had it changed as he didn't like how tall 4th and 5th were.
Title: Re: Sport 1100 Pricing
Post by: rocker59 on April 10, 2018, 10:10:52 PM
The pictured wheels are the Campagnolo wheels which were standard on the Carb Sports.

The injected Sports had Marchesini wheels.

It may not be pretty, but the tubular handlebars on that bike will make it much more rideable for most people.

The stock fairing requires low clipons, which 9 out 10 riders won't /can't tolerate for long rides.
Title: Re: Sport 1100 Pricing
Post by: Turin on April 10, 2018, 11:43:49 PM
If it has the stock bits then jump on it.
Title: Re: Sport 1100 Pricing
Post by: Murray on April 11, 2018, 05:37:24 AM
That ones a bitsa IMO its got a daytona 1000 front end (forks brakes calipers whees , why they are white I suspect). I'd be tempted to spend more and get a nicer one. It at the very least doesn't have the stock cross over and from memory the original cans were stainless lafraconis not some ali cans that look like the've been salvaged off a ducati. They also sat low enough for the pillion pegs to be useable.... kinda. Carbs in stock condition is not a selling point so it probably runs like a dog and has all the finesse of a regulator on a steam loco. Like I said keep looking unless you have a use for the parts.
Title: Re: Sport 1100 Pricing
Post by: MedicAndy on April 11, 2018, 09:36:22 AM
This is just my opinion...I would urge caution... MedicAndy will likely give his 2 cents.

Right on, I will give my 2 cents..... :)

Kristian, (No worries, I won't look for or buy this bike....)  :cool:

I like, as everybody knows, the 1100 Sports. I have five 97 I's and two 96 carbs. For me, and that is only in my humble opinion, I look for bikes that show how much their current owner likes and has taken care of them. As "Devildog" already stated, buyer beware, any bike can become a money pit quick, if the bike was neglected. I have talked about this on here before, but it did not take but a couple of Moto Guzzi bike purchases to realize that many MG owners are cheap, as in...... We ride it until it gives out, replace broken or worn out items with the cheapest stuff available, or we sell it when it becomes to costly to repair........ Just to give you a taste of what I had to spend after I purchased three of my bikes, but I had known this getting into the deal, and the sellers acknowledged this by dropping their asking price! So, you will spend $1000.00 if the bike needs new wheel bearings, rotors, pads, and tires. Odds are that you will spend another $200.00 for a full service, which would include all fluids and filter changes. Then there is the possibility of fork seals leaking or never been serviced, a bad battery, oil dripping somewhere, maybe some electrical issues...... I guess you get my point. On average, I add around $1.5k to the purchase cost to a bike that I am buying without having seen it, to cover things that the bike probably needs.

Another thing that I like is how the bike visually presents itself. I like clean bikes, mostly stock unless the upgrades were done right. I just had the wheels on one of my yellow 97 powder coated and then rebuild with new bearings, tires, Brembo rotors and pads, at a cost of $1k. Some of the original powder coating was flaking off, and the brakes were original to the bike, and needed replacing. I'm actually working on getting this bike back together today or tomorrow. So talking about money.... I paid $3.5k for this 20k miles bike. The bike looked great when I bought her, but I knew that I would need to spend the money on the wheels, and the front tire fender was cracked, so there was another $400.00  The bikes right cylinder didn't fire, so I gambled a little when I was hoping that this was not a ECU module issue, which it was not, it turned out that the bike only needed to get some electronic connectors cleaned.

You stated that a yellow bike is the one that you would really like, so looking at my yellow 97, I will have approximately $5k in this bike when I'm done with her, which I like to think is a great value especially since this bike is almost as good as being a new bike now. This bike has no issues, and she came with a full Stainetune exhaust. I also like that this bike has the WC performance chip, and she still has the original air filter box.

I think that the bike that you are looking at is probably a good rider, and some people like that this bike looks like it had been ridden and used, but this is not me. And at $4k, unless it has a Stainetune exhaust and Keihin carbs.... I think it's a little steep. I also estimate that I would have around $7k in this bike, at a $4k purchase cost, before I had it the way that I would like to be in. But you also have to envision this bike looking almost new again after I would be done with it.

Not that it really matters, since sometimes you need to be at the right place and the right time when buying something, and it is getting harder to find a nice 95-97 1100 Sport by now.....

My blue 96 with 20k miles with a set of new Michelin's and a full Mistral exhaust was $1.5k, plus $600.00 to have her shipped to my home.
My silver 96 with 11k miles with a new set of Michelin's and newly powder coated wheels was $3.5k plus $400.00 shipping.
My red 97 with 7.2k miles museum bike was a local purchase for $5.2k. This bike came fully serviced, new tires, had a Mistral full exhaust, the WC performance chip, & polished aluminum.

Others were between $2.5k-$4.5k

Some bikes were perfect and I didn't spend any money on them after the purchase, and others needed between $1k-$2.5k Sometimes I spend money on items that are cosmetic issues only, like getting the wheels, valve covers, and crash bars on my yellow 97 powder coated... but that is just me....

So just be-careful when buying a bike from a stranger..... check it out, ride it, and get a good understanding on what this bike possibly needs, and what those costs could be. On the other hand, if you really like this bike, and you plan on keeping her forever, then buy it hopefully at a lower price, and get her to the way you see right for you. Only you can place a value on something that you like!

I know that I can't give short answers, but I hope that this helped a little, if you are still reading at this point!   :clock:

ps: This is the 97 which I bought also locally for $3.5k, and I spend an additional $1.5 k to get her right for me. I should have her back together with her new rebuild and powder coated rims, valve covers, and crash bars at the latest by tomorrow. This is an example of what is still out there to buy, if you see it before someone else does, at a reasonable cost.


(http://thumb.ibb.co/czN2mc/fullsizeoutput_20007.jpg) (http://ibb.co/czN2mc)


(http://thumb.ibb.co/kcnwCH/fullsizeoutput_20017.jpg) (http://ibb.co/kcnwCH)


(http://thumb.ibb.co/ibLYsH/IMG_5276.jpg) (http://ibb.co/ibLYsH)


(http://thumb.ibb.co/gpRJcH/fullsizeoutput_203c1.jpg) (http://ibb.co/gpRJcH)


(http://thumb.ibb.co/kKXDsH/fullsizeoutput_20462.jpg) (http://ibb.co/kKXDsH)


(http://thumb.ibb.co/gB1dRc/IMG_8083.jpg) (http://ibb.co/gB1dRc)
 
Title: Re: Sport 1100 Pricing
Post by: ajpjive on April 11, 2018, 10:18:02 AM
Thank you all for the input! I really appreciate the time and hearty write-ups!

I think for the time I will hold off and keep looking. Searchtempest is a wonderful thing, and I think I'd well prefer a bike closer to stock. Being right at the start of my search, it's very, very reassuring to hear that these bikes still come up for sale.

Thanks again everyone!
-Andy


Title: Re: Sport 1100 Pricing
Post by: Chuck in Indiana on April 11, 2018, 11:06:55 AM
Quote
it's very, very reassuring to hear that these bikes still come up for sale.

Don't wait too long. MedicAndy is cornering the market..  :evil: :smiley:
Title: Re: Sport 1100 Pricing
Post by: Tusayan on April 11, 2018, 11:52:36 AM
If I were looking for an 1100 Sport in the current market I'd buy the best one I could find - the difference in price does not justify buying a rough bike and restoring it.  If I owned the bike with the non-stock fairing, if possible I'd return it to stock fairing and bar configuration because it will sell faster.
Title: Re: Sport 1100 Pricing
Post by: MedicAndy on April 11, 2018, 04:34:15 PM
If I were looking for an 1100 Sport in the current market I'd buy the best one I could find - the difference in price does not justify buying a rough bike and restoring it.  If I owned the bike with the non-stock fairing, if possible I'd return it to stock fairing and bar configuration because it will sell faster.

I agree fully! I'm not sure if I would pay close to $10k that the Asheville NC guy wants for his yellow 97 with around 8k miles on the clock, but look who is talking, I just paid almost that much for my SF Nero 97! And you are right, the difference in price of a nice clean rider versus a restoration bike does not justify the purchase and the money needed of a restoration, unless the price was really low, and the bike had potential. But then again, there are less and less of them to go around, and one day they will all gone and locked away in someones collection......  :evil:
Title: Re: Sport 1100 Pricing
Post by: Turin on April 11, 2018, 08:42:24 PM
Quote
That ones a bitsa IMO its got a daytona 1000 front end (forks brakes calipers whees , why they are white I suspect).

Daytona 1000 and carbie sport both have the same marzocchi forks. Is it much more likely that the rims were re painted / coated? I think so.
If it were closer to me, I'd be in trouble.
Title: Re: Sport 1100 Pricing
Post by: Kristian on April 12, 2018, 01:25:22 AM
Update: Here's the 4.2K-mile Sport I bought three weeks ago, the day I bought it. The tankbra was interesting--and off now.

(http://thumb.ibb.co/cebsnH/20180319_172809.jpg) (http://ibb.co/cebsnH)
Title: Re: Sport 1100 Pricing
Post by: voncrump on April 12, 2018, 02:43:27 AM
That ones a bitsa IMO its got a daytona 1000 front end (forks brakes calipers whees , why they are white I suspect). I'd be tempted to spend more and get a nicer one. It at the very least doesn't have the stock cross over and from memory the original cans were stainless lafraconis not some ali cans that look like the've been salvaged off a ducati. They also sat low enough for the pillion pegs to be useable.... kinda. Carbs in stock condition is not a selling point so it probably runs like a dog and has all the finesse of a regulator on a steam loco. Like I said keep looking unless you have a use for the parts.

Spot on, I would say that that black bike with the high bars has 300mm disc rotors. That makes the brakes early Daytona.
Cheers, voncrump
Title: Re: Sport 1100 Pricing
Post by: Murray on April 12, 2018, 04:25:17 AM
Daytona 1000 and carbie sport both have the same marzocchi forks. Is it much more likely that the rims were re painted / coated? I think so.
If it were closer to me, I'd be in trouble.

The daytona and 1100 sport had marzocchi forks true but the Daytona's were adjustable three ways where the sports were 6 way adjustable  compression on one side and rebound on the other as Marzocchi did things. The important bit IMO is the Daytona 1000 had 300mm disks where the 1100 sports had the much more common and still used to this day 320mm disks and the bike is fitted with those disks and callipers. This is what makes me think its a hacked together POS rather than owned by a sadist that thinks white wheels are a good idea on a motorcycle.
Title: Re: Sport 1100 Pricing
Post by: arveno on April 12, 2018, 04:48:01 AM
https://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/mcy/d/1996-moto-guzzi-1100-sport/6552774837.html
Title: Re: Sport 1100 Pricing
Post by: Kristian on April 12, 2018, 11:04:36 AM
But, and worse, it is no longer really a Sport 1100. The more collectible a vehicle becomes, the more important it is that it retains the essence of originality. This one would need considerable work to become a real Sport--front fairing, stay, and light, handlebars, and the correct forks and brakes.

If this thing is desirable, then a V11 Sport is a much better bet--they came from the factory with standard seating and no/small fairing, etc., plus a host of good upgrades.
Title: Re: Sport 1100 Pricing
Post by: Old Jock on April 12, 2018, 11:24:21 AM
I'd be very careful if viewing that, why has it got a Daytona front end, it's not an upgrade so why?

I'd be looking very carefully around the headstock area, maybe I'm a pessimist BUT I'm thinking at some point its had a front end knock.

I don't know about the Sport's forks but I thought the Daytona Marzocchis were absolutely woeful IMHO

I'd pass even if it cost more to get something cleaner and more trustworthy as everybody has been pointing out a "bargain" motorcycle can be an oxymoron

John