Wildguzzi.com
General Category => General Discussion => Topic started by: Guzzi relic on June 03, 2018, 04:09:03 PM
-
Hello everyone ---
I'm asking for windshield possibilities for my Eldo. I had a Wixom fairing on when I had my sidecar attached but since I removed the chair last year and now ride the bike solo, I found the Wixom heavy and affecting the handling. So I took it off and am contemplating something lighter in weight and appearance.
With the Eldo dash being so large it seems to me that fitting a typical aftermarket windshield might be difficult?
I don't care for the Police or HD style designs, (personal preference); I prefer the looks of the Plexifairing 3 or the Plexistar from National Cycle. http://www.nationalcycle.com/vehicles/motorcycle-1/motoguzzi/motoguzziv850ttt/1974motoguzziv850ttt/n8613-01.html
Have any of you loop frame riders fitted this type of windshield to your bikes or can anyone suggest something similar that would look good and not require complete reegineering to mount?
Thanks!
Ken
-
I've always liked the "Euro 850GT" windshield.
(http://www.mgcycle.com/images/atrex/13577245_02.jpg)
http://www.mgcycle.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=51&products_id=4882
Mounting brackets:
Upper: http://www.mgcycle.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=51&products_id=4881
Lower: http://www.mgcycle.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=4496
-
Have had mine on for years, love it
(http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg217/canuck750/1972%20Moto%20Guzzi%20850%20Eldorado/IMG_0773_zpsyczbxmvs.jpg) (http://s249.photobucket.com/user/canuck750/media/1972%20Moto%20Guzzi%20850%20Eldorado/IMG_0773_zpsyczbxmvs.jpg.html)
-
Nah...just tough it out. :boozing:
Nick
-
Thanks Charlie and Canuck750. Yes I could live with that shield; I'll keep it on my short list. The only drawback is the cost once I exchange the $$$ and have it shipped to Canada. The advantage to the National Cycle products is that I can purchase through the shop I work at with no exchange and no shipping costs (plus an employee discount).
Nick, I know from where you are coming...:bow: but I'd like at least one of my bikes to have some weather protection even if I'm not planning any trips north of 60.
Ken
-
Just pulling your leg Ken. You get real winter 'up there'.
N
-
How many of us here in Ontario with loops are there?
Harry
-
Well Harry I have one, '74 Eldo. I'm about 55 miles west of Sudbury.
I have a good friend who lives just east of Sudbury who has a '73 Eldo that he's owned since '74.
My good friend and leg puller Nick949 resides in south eastern Ontario and he has an Eldo that I think is a 1972.
I went to a couple of rallies back in 05 and 06 held in Utopia, near Aliston and I recall at least one Ontario rider on an Ambassador but I'm sure there are more. I don't remember any at the Buckhorn rally in 2008? (I was on my Spada for that one)
Ken
-
Hi Ken
Well, add me to the larger than I thought list. When Shawn decamped to LaLa Land taking his two loops with him, I thought it was up to Nick and I to carry on. My ambassador is now in daily service and the eldo is waiting to be completed. There is a project ambo in bins that I may never get to. Any one looking?
-
My buddy Doug has a 74 in Mallorytown (currently off the road) and I just met Elizabeth in Ottawa who has a 72. I think there are quite a few out there.
-
I know you don't want a police windshield, but I got my 74 Police replacement from Gustafsson in FLA and they seem to be a great company and might be worth a look. Can probably make you whatever want.
https://bikescreen.com/
-
Thanks Rod, I've been on Gustafasson's website and indeed, they seem to make anything and everything.
For now I've come up with what might be a temporary solution and the nice thing about it is that it was free! :laugh:
I mentioned my desire for a shield at work and a coworker offered up three old screens that he was wanting to rid himself of. He didn't want to send them to landfill but was very happy to have them out of his garage rafters.
I chose to work with the largest of the three and it took me the past few evenings to work out the details but asof last night I had it on the bike. I commuted today with the shield in place and found that it offered good wind protection and thankfully isn't buffeting my head. But it does increase the noise level for me substantially. It seems to be at about chin height and if it was a few inches taller I think it would be perfect. I'm going to see about adding a DIY visor/extension perhaps but for now I'm going to run with it.
(https://photos.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/Misc-ride-photos/i-8nzWrPw/0/84bd6eab/S/20180608_200736-S.jpg) (https://relic.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/Misc-ride-photos/i-8nzWrPw/A)
(https://photos.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/Misc-ride-photos/i-rz5vwPT/0/b7032a38/S/20180608_200755-S.jpg) (https://relic.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/Misc-ride-photos/i-rz5vwPT/A)
To make it fit I had to cut off quite a bit of material around the headlamp and fork area, plus shorten the side bits that hang down to prevent contact with the crash bars. The most challenging thing was coming up with lower mounts and I sided with functionality rather than beauty. But so far it hasn't fallen off, there is no vibration and its sitting straight. There are some scratches and crazing but no cracks and that is in line with the condition of my Eldo, (and me) so it suits just fine.
I may go with a proper shield at some point but this one will do for now.
Again, thanks for all the advice!
Ken
-
Add one of these:
https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/mra-x-creen-sport-variable-windscreen-spoiler-blade?kclid=06107afa-3ef4-429e-8e7e-72b860941350&gclid=CjwKCAjw0ujYBRBDEiwAn7BKtxTWMBfjMw4yAruujzW2vFV9SNk2CLcZ3Uytps_3QcdQ0XCV8y42uxoC3qoQAvD_BwE (https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/mra-x-creen-sport-variable-windscreen-spoiler-blade?kclid=06107afa-3ef4-429e-8e7e-72b860941350&gclid=CjwKCAjw0ujYBRBDEiwAn7BKtxTWMBfjMw4yAruujzW2vFV9SNk2CLcZ3Uytps_3QcdQ0XCV8y42uxoC3qoQAvD_BwE)
(https://www.revzilla.com/product_images/0094/2122/mrax_creen_sport_variable_windscreen_spoiler_blade_750x750.jpg)
-
Hi Ken
Well, add me to the larger than I thought list. When Shawn decamped to LaLa Land taking his two loops with him, I thought it was up to Nick and I to carry on. My ambassador is now in daily service and the eldo is waiting to be completed. There is a project ambo in bins that I may never get to. Any one looking?
Hey! LaLa Land? Really? :boozing:
I only reduced the count by two (one of which is one serial number away from Ken's).
Don't forget Alan's Eldo, which is currently awaiting new jugs. I've seen a number of others out there, too.
Cheers,
Shaun in LaLa Land (apparently)
-
Nice job, Ken. And you can't beat the price. I have a police Eldo that came with the original 70s police Harley-style bracket, which had some nice vintage features. The plexi was in bad shape so I turned to Gustafsson. I think the best position is so you are just looking a few inches over the top of the screen in a comfortable riding position. That seems to avoid all but the biggest bugs. I ride open face, so I still get smacked occasionally. Here's mine.
(https://thumb.ibb.co/meHgtT/Restored_Screen.jpg) (https://ibb.co/meHgtT)
The Gustafsson comes with their little logo on each edge, as you can see, which doesn't bother me (too much). They do a good job.