Wildguzzi.com
General Category => General Discussion => Topic started by: T4halo on February 04, 2019, 09:44:52 PM
-
I hung around here a few years ago. I’ve owned an early Ambassador, LeMans III and V11 Sport, but sold them 5 or so years ago (Selling the LMIII is probably my worst bike decision ever). I tried a VStrom and didnt like it, sold a 70 CB750 and R80ST last summer. I’m bikeless, and want to know how the V7III would compare to my old LeMans III or an 850T. Do the 750 small blocks pull hard to 80mph? Do the new bikes sound like the old big blocks? I love the old Guzzis but these new bikes look interesting. Anyone who owns both, how do they compare? Can a big block guy love a small block?
Thanks,
Tony
-
Never been a bigblock guy but I love my smallblock. Pulls to over 80 evenly and effortlessly.
-
Never been a bigblock guy but I love my smallblock. Pulls to over 80 evenly and effortlessly.
I rode a V7 while in the UK and was encouraged to give it a bit of a touch up.
Was very surprised how peppy it felt and was very similar to a '99 SV 650 S that I have, in performance and characteristics.
-
I haven't spent a ton of time on anything older than a Tonti Cali.
I THINK you just have to demo one for yourself (or borrow one, I forgot to look for a location before posting).
That said, the big blocks I've owned FEEL different than our smallblocks. The V7 I and III we have don't quite have the same almost freight train feel of the BBs. At the same time the chassis feels smaller, lighter, more nimble.
I mean it still feels 100% a Guzzi, it's just a little different of an experience.
I've not found myself wishing it was a BB though.
-
In my opinion big blocks and small blocks are not the same.
Modern small block V7's put out about the same HP as the vintage big block V7's. That's about where the similarities stop. IMO A modern V7 will not feel or remind you of an old big block.
-
You'll just have to demo one. It still has that great Guzzi architecture and engine "feel." The modern small block is more sophisticated and more ..er.. modern, though. :smiley:
-
You may want to try a griso , a little more weight but a lot more get up and go. Handles well, just not as flickable as the small blocks. I can understand the sellers remorse on the LMIII . The 850 is a wonderful motor. Hopefully you'll be rejoining us soon. :thumb:
-
As Lucian wrote...try a Griso!
You have already owned a LeMans III and V11 Sport.
The Griso is the next logical step.
You can get more info here:
https://www.grisoghetto.com/
If you go for an 8V then it should have roller tappets.
I once drove a Breva 750. Even as a short guy (5″8), I felt like riding a bicycle ... more ore less.
-
As Lucian wrote...try a Griso!
You have already owned a LeMans III and V11 Sport.
The Griso is the next logical step.
You can get more info here:
https://www.grisoghetto.com/
If you go for an 8V then it should have roller tappets.
What these gentlemen said. IMHO there is nothing out there like a big block Guzzi. The small blocks I had were nice bikes, but didn't have intoxicating oomph the big blocks have. I've also had a V11 Sport. The Griso is more refined than the V11 Sport. You give up a small bit of flick ability for that refinement. I've owned both the pushrod and the 8v Grisos. I'd recommend either. However, the 8v takes the refinement I mentioned to the next level.
-
You guys are confirming what I expected. I wanted the small block motor to have that fantastic vintage Guzzi feel and sound. Like riding a freight train. The power and torque those old bikes make just made me smile and want to ride all the time. The 84 R80 sat in the garage souless. The VStrom was buzzy and top heavy. The CB750KO was cool but lacked the exhaust note.
I really like the look of the new V7’s, in my opinion they are the best looking new bike being made. Maybe they’ll put the new motor in that sweet looking bike. Until then I guess I’ll find an old Tonti to play with.
Thanks, Tony
-
Welcome back. I'd at least ride a new small block, and make my own decision.
FWIW, my Kid, Brad, has an 8V Grease O. He restored an early 1100 Spot, and now the Grease O sits.. <shrug> If you want freight train.. think about a Spot. A friend that was an Aprillia driver down in Kentucky rode Brad's Spot. He has one now.. :grin:
-
Welcome back Tony!
Try a V9...from Cadre in Cincinnati. Talk to the owner Enzo.
A long haul from Michigan I know but at those prices and that bike, quite a deal.
inditx
www.cadrecycle.com
-
Limited experience with SB's here. (Loaners while getting some routine service on the 1400.) Anyway, I was pleasantly surprised at the performance. It was better than I expected! As for sound, I have had the pleasure of hearing several with Agos, both with and without rhe dB killer installed. They really do sound GOOD.
Don't discount them before you have a chance to ride one.
John Henry
-
I can't say if the Griso is the natural progression the OP should take if looking at getting back into Guzzi ownership. I had and 1100 Griso and while i have never ridden a Sport I don't think they are similar. I would put the Sport and the Ducati 900ss in the same boat but that's a different conversation.
If the OP loved and misses the LM-3 why not look for another. There are out there and not to hard to find.
-
Rollerized Stelvios, Grisos, and Norges are pretty darn cheap these days...check cycletrader.com...
-
In my opinion big blocks and small blocks are not the same.
Modern small block V7's put out about the same HP as the vintage big block V7's. That's about where the similarities stop. IMO A modern V7 will not feel or remind you of an old big block.
+1
The big block bikes just feel different. I've ridden an original V7 Sport and several V7 Classics. Guzzis, yes, but not the same.
-
Here is a nicely set up Sport, aweful purdy
https://nh.craigslist.org/mcy/d/mont-vernon-2008-moto-guzzi-1200-sport/6803843777.html
-
I can't say if the Griso is the natural progression the OP should take if looking at getting back into Guzzi ownership. I had and 1100 Griso and while i have never ridden a Sport I don't think they are similar. I would put the Sport and the Ducati 900ss in the same boat but that's a different conversation.
If the OP loved and misses the LM-3 why not look for another. There are out there and not to hard to find.
If you're referring to a 90's era 900ss, there is a considerable weight difference as compared to a V11, almost 100 lbs. 900ss will be a much quicker handling bike. But i do like the V11...:)
-
If you're referring to a 90's era 900ss, there is a considerable weight difference as compared to a V11, almost 100 lbs. 900ss will be a much quicker handling bike. But i do like the V11...:)
They are considerably lighter, but I wouldn't say quicker handling, although it's been a really long time since I've ridden one.
I wanted the small block motor to have that fantastic vintage Guzzi feel and sound. Like riding a freight train. The power and torque those old bikes make just made me smile and want to ride all the time. The 84 R80 sat in the garage souless.
Like I said, if you haven't ridden an 1100 Sport, it sounds like it would be a match made in heaven for you.. the newer Guzzis being mentioned don't have that "freight train" feel. It was the last of those.
-
If you're referring to a 90's era 900ss, there is a considerable weight difference as compared to a V11, almost 100 lbs. 900ss will be a much quicker handling bike. But i do like the V11...:)
There are 3 constants. Death, taxes and Guzzi will outweigh 100 its direct competition buy about 100 pounds.
-
Chuck, my 03 V11 Sport was a really nice bike. It had the flaking black engine paint. But, it was a running SOB. Another one I probably should have kept. I do miss the LeMans a bit more. At 51 years young and a retired grunt, my back and hips would prefer I sit up on the bike.
T
-
(https://i.ibb.co/BBhpqCt/image.jpg) (https://ibb.co/BBhpqCt)
Big difference in handling and weight. Sport has to be 'set up' for a fast corner, the SS just goes where you point it. If I had to give up one it would be the Duc, the Sport is just awesome.
-
Chuck, my 03 V11 Sport was a really nice bike. It had the flaking black engine paint. But, it was a running SOB. Another one I probably should have kept. I do miss the LeMans a bit more. At 51 years young and a retired grunt, my back and hips would prefer I sit up on the bike.
T
I have a hot rod Scura which is my favorite all time bike. Just the same, if freight train..trust me, I know what you are talking about.. is what you are looking for, a Tonti LeMans or better yet 1100 Sport is what you want.
Devildog sez:
If I had to give up one it would be the Duc, the Sport is just awesome.
I rest my case, your Honor. :smiley:
-
Do the 750 small blocks pull hard to 80mph?
I don't know about the newer bikes, but last summer I was on my Nevada behind a semi doing about 75MPH, so I decided to pass. As I did the truck started to speed up, so I opened up the throttle and passed pretty quickly. By the time got past the truck, I looked down and I was doing 90MPH, so let get up to 100MPH just for fun. I would not describe it as sport bike like, but I thought it still had good pull.
-
I have a hot rod Scura which is my favorite all time bike. Just the same, if freight train..trust me, I know what you are talking about.. is what you are looking for, a Tonti LeMans or better yet 1100 Sport is what you want.
Devildog sez:
I rest my case, your Honor. :smiley:
You guys are bastards...now I need to go find an 1100 Sport to ride. And I know what's gonna happen if I do...
-
I don't know about the newer bikes, but last summer I was on my Nevada behind a semi doing about 75MPH, so I decided to pass. As I did the truck started to speed up, so I opened up the throttle and passed pretty quickly. By the time got past the truck, I looked down and I was doing 90MPH, so let get up to 100MPH just for fun. I would not describe it as sport bike like, but I thought it still had good pull.
I don't think anyone is saying there's anything wrong with (or inadequate about a smallblock). HELL I SOLD 2 big blocks and now I have 2 small blocks! But there IS a difference in feel. And I'll go further and say I'm not sure my Jackal was any faster than say our new Carbon is going to wind up being. BUT, the Jackal had more of that freight train feel that the Carbon does not. MAYBE part of that is weight or mass or stability I dunno, but it's a different feel from the smallblock.
-
I don't think anyone is saying there's anything wrong with (or inadequate about a smallblock). HELL I SOLD 2 big blocks and now I have 2 small blocks! But there IS a difference in feel. And I'll go further and say I'm not sure my Jackal was any faster than say our new Carbon is going to wind up being. BUT, the Jackal had more of that freight train feel that the Carbon does not. MAYBE part of that is weight or mass or stability I dunno, but it's a different feel from the smallblock.
Kev, That is a great explination. Thanks for the honest comparison. I’m glad you enjoy your 750’s. I think it’s great for MG that so many people like the V7s. Let’s see if the new V85 can get 65hp to the ground. Make a great bike even better.
Tony
-
Almost all my Guzzi time has been on my V7 Sport. When my best friend got a new brand new 2013 or 14 V7, I rode it some. He said "you'll like it but it doesn't feel like your bike." He was right. It didn't feel like the "freight train" experience like others have mentioned. it still felt, rode & sounded like a Guzzi. Not bad or inferior, just different. Try one and see what you think.
It's not a LM III, but this nice looking LM V is still listed on c/l in VT for $3300.00... https://vermont.craigslist.org/mcy/d/brandon-1987-moto-guzzi-lemans/6782768712.html
-
I have a Griso and a T3. The Griso is a pale shadow of the T3 in the "freight train" department. It's all in the flywheel weight. I'd recommend an earlier bike -- why not another Lemans 3, as was said?
Those who have only experienced the new V7s don't know what Guzzis like your old one were about.
Moto
-
Carb'ed bikes verse FI bikes are like listening to vinyl verses CD. FI is great in its own way but it glosses over so much.
-
Here is a nicely set up Sport, aweful purdy
https://nh.craigslist.org/mcy/d/mont-vernon-2008-moto-guzzi-1200-sport/6803843777.html
That'd be awful, aweful would mean something completely different, but I get your point and never a truer word...
That there is your affordable sweet tourer.
In order..
Have a beer..
Buy the bike..
Have another beer with said bike..
Wait 1 hour..
Leave on big trip on aforesaid bike..
It's a slam dunk, forrrgettabaaarrtit ...!
-
You guys are bastards...now I need to go find an 1100 Sport to ride. And I know what's gonna happen if I do...
Yep.
Just buy the one on Lucian's post #16.
My Norge has the "freight train" feel...(it handles like it's on rails..)
Do the startus mod, grease the non greasy bits and you are well and truly in business.. :bike-037: :thumb:
-
Yep.
Just buy the one on Lucian's post #16.
My Norge has the "freight train" feel...(it handles like it's on rails..)
Do the startus mod, grease the non greasy bits and you are well and truly in business.. :bike-037: :thumb:
I disagree. I've had a Norge. Not even close. I've had a LeMans V. I've ridden the Kid's Spot a fair amount. Those two are "freight trains." :smiley:
Even the G5 has it to some extent..
(https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1788/43235693482_d58296e88b_k.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/28SAen5)2018-07-08_05-31-53 (https://flic.kr/p/28SAen5) by Charles Stottlemyer (https://www.flickr.com/photos/107188298@N06/), on Flickr
I gots yer Freight Train right here:
(https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7649/28466720380_eda5d2779c_k.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/KnvocN)2016-08-03_05-31-54 (https://flic.kr/p/KnvocN) by Charles Stottlemyer (https://www.flickr.com/photos/107188298@N06/), on Flickr
-
I guess the best would be to try one out. might not be as 'freight train" as the old models.. but I bet it feels way closer to it then a honda does.
-
That G5 would scratch the itch.
T4
-
That G5 would scratch the itch.
T4
Austin, the kid that works for me grew up in a BMW family. I sent him out on the G5 and he said, "That's exactly what I want." He had one within 2 weeks, but it was a floorboard model. Couldn't find pegs. Told him why not make them? It's not like you don't have a machine shop at your disposal? So he did. :smiley: He loves his G5..
I like mine, too.
-
I’ve got a 850T f/s that might fit the bill for the OP. Gilardoni s and bunches of other stuff was replaced when I got it on the road a couple year ago. Been put up in the shed the last two seasons waiting for it’s forever home
-
I had a 750 Breva and now have a 2013 Griso with 148,000 km on the clock. The Breva was nice and handled fine once I replaced the standard suspension with Ikon stuff. The Griso is a hooligan bike. Once you hit 4500-5000 it just gets up and goes, does everything I need it to do and handles well. Ask Huzo about it.
-
I don't think anyone is saying there's anything wrong with (or inadequate about a smallblock). HELL I SOLD 2 big blocks and now I have 2 small blocks! But there IS a difference in feel. And I'll go further and say I'm not sure my Jackal was any faster than say our new Carbon is going to wind up being. BUT, the Jackal had more of that freight train feel that the Carbon does not. MAYBE part of that is weight or mass or stability I dunno, but it's a different feel from the smallblock.
I don't think anyone was dissing the smallblocks. I was attempting to answer the OPs question as to whether the smaller Guzzis can still pull at 80MPH, which in my experience, they did. It makes sense that a Guzzi with a larger engine would feel more substantial, but I'll have to take your word for it. The Nevada is the biggest bike I've driven.
-
I had a 750 Breva and now have a 2013 Griso with 148,000 km on the clock. The Breva was nice and handled fine once I replaced the standard suspension with Ikon stuff. The Griso is a hooligan bike. Once you hit 4500-5000 it just gets up and goeds, does everything I need it to do and handles well. Ask Huzo about it.
Piss off...!
Oh that's right , you did...! :bike-037: :copcar:
-
^^^
Ha ha.