Wildguzzi.com

General Category => General Discussion => Topic started by: BrotherJim on February 08, 2019, 11:15:58 AM

Title: Looking to Upgrade Some Fasteners
Post by: BrotherJim on February 08, 2019, 11:15:58 AM
Does anybody have a preferred vendor when looking to upgrade the fastener sins of a previous owner?  For example, I've purchased some new shocks for my '02 CalStone (now I'm in too deep) and would like to change the stack of fender washers topped by a too-long M6 allen cap screw.  McMaster-Carr/Fastenall will be happy to sell me a whole bag of not quite what I'm after.  Guzzi might want $12 per.  Basically a wide allen truss head in stainless is what I'm thinking.
Title: Re: Looking to Upgrade Some Fasteners
Post by: Chuck in Indiana on February 08, 2019, 11:20:01 AM
Try Stainless Cycle..
Title: Re: Looking to Upgrade Some Fasteners
Post by: Tom H on February 08, 2019, 12:11:33 PM
Why not just cut the bolt to the length you need? Hacksaw, cut off wheel and Dremel or the like.

If you do want just a few bolts, check fleabay. Lots of choices from the US.

Tom
Title: Re: Looking to Upgrade Some Fasteners
Post by: LowRyter on February 08, 2019, 12:31:51 PM
Ace Hardware.  Even their common stuff seems better than those OEM bolts and fasteners IMO.
Title: Re: Looking to Upgrade Some Fasteners
Post by: larrys on February 08, 2019, 01:09:33 PM
There's a hardware store chain around here called True Value. They have a great stainless steel fastener section. I've replaced a number of fasteners on my Cal with stainless steel button head allen screws. Ten seconds on the buffing wheel and they look like chrome... Stainless washers buff up nice, too. YMMV.
Larry
Title: Re: Looking to Upgrade Some Fasteners
Post by: menzies on February 08, 2019, 06:43:52 PM
BelMetric and Bolt Depot are both mail order and have great service and prices much cheaper than Ace hwd. Both located in Massachusetts.
Title: Re: Looking to Upgrade Some Fasteners
Post by: amamet on February 08, 2019, 06:51:49 PM
I really like Fastenal.

https://www.fastenal.com
Title: Re: Looking to Upgrade Some Fasteners
Post by: jas67 on February 08, 2019, 10:24:33 PM
https://www.belmetric.com (https://www.belmetric.com)
Title: Re: Looking to Upgrade Some Fasteners
Post by: Acme Monza on February 08, 2019, 10:28:27 PM
https://www.probolt-usa.com

I have good experiences with them.
Title: Re: Looking to Upgrade Some Fasteners
Post by: BrotherJim on February 09, 2019, 07:58:14 AM
Cheers, fellas.  Very helpful.  We've got a True-Value Hardware store on the other side of town that has a huge fastener section, but I've struck out with them on several occasions, and it's just far enough away to give me pause.  Decided to give them another chance yesterday and came away with some acceptable stainless hardware.  In fact, exactly as described by larrys!   I'm going to check out the links posted on this thread for future reference. :thumb: 
Title: Re: Looking to Upgrade Some Fasteners
Post by: Chuck in Indiana on February 09, 2019, 11:06:00 AM
Well ok.. if you need a link..
https://www.stainlesscycle.com/presta/en/19-individual-fasteners
Title: Re: Looking to Upgrade Some Fasteners
Post by: not-fishing on February 09, 2019, 02:19:21 PM
Ace Hardware.  Even their common stuff seems better than those OEM bolts and fasteners IMO.

Second on Ace, they're great.  Of course I also use the Dremel - alot.
Title: Re: Looking to Upgrade Some Fasteners
Post by: n3303j on February 10, 2019, 01:46:26 AM
Be aware that a quality stainless steel allen screw has about half the tensile strength of its (rustable) alloy counterpart. Consider this before installing in safety critical applications.

https://www.aftfasteners.com/socket-cap-screws-dimensions-and-mechanical-properties/
Title: Re: Looking to Upgrade Some Fasteners
Post by: scotzo on February 10, 2019, 12:24:30 PM
I use Bolt Depot.com
Bolts, Nuts & Screws Shipped Fast. No Minimums! Bulk, Box, or Piece. Fast Order Turnaround.
Title: Re: Looking to Upgrade Some Fasteners
Post by: nobleswood on February 10, 2019, 12:35:47 PM
Be aware that a quality stainless steel allen screw has about half the tensile strength of its (rustable) alloy counterpart. Consider this before installing in safety critical applications.

https://www.aftfasteners.com/socket-cap-screws-dimensions-and-mechanical-properties/

Thanks for posting; that for me was/is a helpful reference
Title: Re: Looking to Upgrade Some Fasteners
Post by: BrotherJim on February 10, 2019, 01:48:38 PM
Well ok.. if you need a link..
https://www.stainlesscycle.com/presta/en/19-individual-fasteners

Aw, c'mon, Chuck.  Where do you think I looked first?

Be aware that a quality stainless steel allen screw has about half the tensile strength of its (rustable) alloy counterpart. Consider this before installing in safety critical
applications.

You'd think that Guzzi would have used something bigger than an M6x16 considering torsional loads on the swingarm, though I've no clue what those values would be.  The shock posts are welded to the frame and swingarm afterall, which seems to me would bear most of those forces.  Funny thing though, now that I've got the SS hardware on there, I think it would look better in black.  Steel it is!
Title: Re: Looking to Upgrade Some Fasteners
Post by: twowings on February 10, 2019, 02:13:32 PM
These guys know their stuff in case you can't find it somewhere else:

(http://rulecompany.com/img/rulecofront.jpg)

http://rulecompany.com/ (http://rulecompany.com/)