Wildguzzi.com

General Category => General Discussion => Topic started by: canuck750 on February 17, 2019, 06:20:31 PM

Title: Solo female rider touring the world
Post by: canuck750 on February 17, 2019, 06:20:31 PM
I met Melusine Mallender north of LaPaz Baja California this week, she was completing a solo South American motorcycle tour having taken the ferry from Mazatlan to Cabo and heading for Los Angeles where she will have her motorcycle shipped back to Europe. This is her third international trip, she had covered most of Asia and Africa. Her bike is a Triumph 800 tiger. Very outgoing and confident young woman.

She is talking to my friend Jim who is on his KLR side car rig.

(https://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg217/canuck750/CRASH/109BE58B-A101-4D1A-9D67-8EACEA15685B_zpswqv0l2wi.jpeg) (https://s249.photobucket.com/user/canuck750/media/CRASH/109BE58B-A101-4D1A-9D67-8EACEA15685B_zpswqv0l2wi.jpeg.html)

She said she loved Bolivia the most in South America.

She is filming a travel log for a French television network and it will be shown on French in about a year from now.
Talk about a loaded up bike!

(http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg217/canuck750/CRASH/5C25E185-9870-4A94-B24B-5AD5491B57A8_zpsfynxdljg.jpeg) (http://s249.photobucket.com/user/canuck750/media/CRASH/5C25E185-9870-4A94-B24B-5AD5491B57A8_zpsfynxdljg.jpeg.html)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdjdAjhsL7k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNwl7H90xGA
Title: Re: Solo female rider touring the world
Post by: oldbike54 on February 17, 2019, 06:41:39 PM
 :bow: :thumb:

 Dusty
Title: Re: Solo female rider touring the world
Post by: Gliderjohn on February 17, 2019, 06:50:41 PM
Good for her. Would have liked to have met her also.
GliderJohn
Title: Re: Solo female rider touring the world
Post by: twowheeladdict on February 17, 2019, 08:46:28 PM
Can't imagine riding solo AND filming!  Think about all the camera setups and backtracking, etc.  Take the fun out of riding.   :bike-037:

I am amazed at how Europeans have way more sense of adventure and trust in the kindness of strangers. 
Title: Re: Solo female rider touring the world
Post by: Lannis on February 17, 2019, 08:53:00 PM
I am amazed at how Europeans have way more sense of adventure and trust in the kindness of strangers.

That doesn't always work out well, though .... but good on 'er for trying it .... !

Lannis
Title: Re: Solo female rider touring the world
Post by: giusto on February 17, 2019, 09:21:44 PM
I look forward to seeing the film.....good for her or anyone that has the spirit!!
Title: Re: Solo female rider touring the world
Post by: SED on February 17, 2019, 09:25:04 PM
Very cool!  But, man that bike must be heavy!
Title: Re: Solo female rider touring the world
Post by: yogidozer on February 17, 2019, 10:18:39 PM
Lucky her! I would love to explore South America, especially Peru. So much history and mystery about that country.
Is she writing a book, or magazine article, do you know? Wish the videos were in English.
Title: Re: Solo female rider touring the world
Post by: canuck750 on February 18, 2019, 09:25:53 PM
Lucky her! I would love to explore South America, especially Peru. So much history and mystery about that country.
Is she writing a book, or magazine article, do you know? Wish the videos were in English.

As far as I could tell from our brief conversation all of her travel will be documented for a French TV network, she told me that she is not supposed to post this trip on YouTube due to the TV sponsorship she has received. I have watched a bunch of her YouTube videos of her Asian trip, pretty amazing the roads she has ridden on given all the gear she carries. I think she is one darn good rider. She told me she crossed the Mongolian steppes cross country relying on GPS to find roads, all solo.
Now I know I don't have anywhere near that level of confidence or courage.
Title: Re: Solo female rider touring the world
Post by: stubbie on February 18, 2019, 10:55:38 PM
She must  have extra long arms to pan and tilt the camera whilst she sits on her bike?