Author Topic: parts prices  (Read 875 times)

Offline drlapo

• Guzzi Hero
parts prices
« on: January 02, 2015, 10:40:17 AM »
I need a rear wheel seal for my son's 675 Triumph
I ordered it from Triumph @ $16.80 + tax and will wait a week + for it
I can get the same seal on eBay for $1.99 and have it in 2 days
I like to support my local dealer but ......

Offline cj750

• Guzzi Hero
  • "Viva tutte le cose Italiane"
Re: parts prices
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2015, 12:33:18 PM »

I feel your pain. It's not just a motorcycle thing, either. The local Mom & Pop hardware store here was great, and carried a wide variety of fasteners and actual hardware that is difficult to find at the chain stores. I tried to support them as much as possible, and was prepared to pay a 25-50% premium in order to support a local business. Unfortunately, I found prices were often two or three times the big box store prices for common items. Plus, limited hours meant they were usually closed when I was working on hobby and home improvement projects, so I often wound up buying what I needed at a chain store rather than waiting for the local guys to be open the following day.
The local store is closed now, and I feel bad about that. But no merchant can survive without a business model that is appealing to customers. High prices with limited hours doesn't work when their are alternatives available. And these days, there are lots of alternatives. 
Then again, when I was watching Predator I didn't think two members of its cast would become governors, either. So you never know.

Advertise your products today. All proceeds go back into this website.
Your ad will show up over 10,000 times daily!
Advertise Here