Author Topic: Stupid idea - can I repolish Stainless Steel header pipe?  (Read 2486 times)

Offline ohiorider

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 8088
  • "You can't fight in here - this is the War Room."
Stupid idea - can I repolish Stainless Steel header pipe?
« on: April 10, 2019, 11:24:22 AM »
I've been running the wheels off the R100GS any time we've had a nice day.  Just noticed yesterday where a small oil leak, most likely from either a banjo bolt connection or worn out oil line to the cooler allowed oil to drip onto the right side header pipe.  That stuff was baked on.

I didn't consider that trying to remove it with a 3M green pad would scuff up about 7-8" of header pipe, but it did. 

A friend thought I might be able, with the proper polish, to restore the header.

Any thoughts, aside from wondering what the hell I was thinking?

Bob
« Last Edit: April 10, 2019, 11:37:00 AM by ohiorider »
Main ride:  2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport (sold July 2020)
2012 Griso 8v SE (sold Sept '15)
Reliable standby: 1991 BMW R100GS
2014 Honda CB1100 (Traded Nov 2019)
New:  2016 Triumph T120 (Traded Dec 2021)
New:  2021 Kawasaki W800

Offline bikeridertim

  • Gosling
  • ***
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 224
  • Just ride it!
  • Location: Concord NC
Re: Stupid idea - can I repolish Stainless Steel header pipe?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2019, 11:31:52 AM »
Just a thought,  I use WHITE 3M pads and Mothers Mag Wheel polish on several SS guns I have and it takes all the scratches out... YMMV
2018 Honda Goldwing
1999 MOTO GUZZI EV11
1973 MOTO GUZZI ELDORODO
MGNOC L-201
AMA LIFE MEMBER 543509
IRON BUTT 12038


We struggle our whole lives so that we don’t have to struggle.  Huzo

Offline Sheepdog

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 5575
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
  • Location: Waldheim, Louisiana. USA
Re: Stupid idea - can I repolish Stainless Steel header pipe?
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2019, 12:06:03 PM »
The header will polish out. The job is easier and will look better if you remove the header and polish it on a table-mounted powered cotton buffing wheel. Polishing kits are available at Harbor Freight, or other outlets like it. Look for a polisher with an 8" to 10" wheel.
"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

Offline BrotherJim

  • Gaggle Mentor
  • ****
  • Posts: 439
  • Location: East Central Indiana
Re: Stupid idea - can I repolish Stainless Steel header pipe?
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2019, 12:22:06 PM »
+1 Sheepdog.  It's a little time-consuming and makes a great winter project.
Short Time Livin'...

'02 Moto Guzzi California Stone

Offline JC85

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 616
  • Location: Chanute, KS
Re: Stupid idea - can I repolish Stainless Steel header pipe?
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2019, 01:28:37 PM »
How well does Mother's work on dull aluminum? I'm going to try polishing up my valve covers, soon, rather than chroming them. I have some solid compounds lying around, but am curious if mother's would do a better, worse, or comparable job.
'74 Eldo Police Model
'07 CalVin

canuck750

  • Guest
Re: Stupid idea - can I repolish Stainless Steel header pipe?
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2019, 02:03:12 PM »
Yes stainless headers will polish out but as soon as you run the motor again the stainless will take on a gold colour.

Offline Don G

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 1065
  • Location: Smiley, Saskatchewan Canada
Re: Stupid idea - can I repolish Stainless Steel header pipe?
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2019, 03:13:11 PM »
get a tube of Solvol Autosol metal polish, works well on Stainless and Aluminium, can be bought at most auto parts stores,  DonG

Offline pete mcgee

  • Gaggle Mentor
  • ****
  • Posts: 458
Re: Stupid idea - can I repolish Stainless Steel header pipe?
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2019, 03:25:34 PM »
What sheepdog said.
My staintune exhaust has been repolished with good results 3 time over the last 30 years.
Pete (no not the Bungendore one)


Light travels faster than sound, which is why some people look intelligent until you hear them speak....

Online Ncdan

  • Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • *
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 6313
Re: Stupid idea - can I repolish Stainless Steel header pipe?
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2019, 06:01:39 PM »
If you can get to it you can get a cotton polishing wheel that will go in a drill. Get a stick of jewelers  Rouge and watch the scratches go away or be less noticeable. Good luck.

Offline tazio

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 2822
Re: Stupid idea - can I repolish Stainless Steel header pipe?
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2019, 06:39:07 PM »
Yes stainless headers will polish out but as soon as you run the motor again the stainless will take on a gold colour.

"Gold pipes save lives"   :thumb:



Current Fleet
1972 Aermacchi Harley-Davidson 350 Sprint
1967 Kawasaki 650 W2TT
1966 Triumph Bonneville

Offline MarkMk

  • Hatchling
  • **
  • Posts: 43
  • Location: Australia
Re: Stupid idea - can I repolish Stainless Steel header pipe?
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2019, 07:01:37 PM »
I use pickling paste, similar to this to remove heat discoloration from my little LSR bike, the pipes were made from mandrel bends designed for handrail manufacture, this paste is also used to clean the welded areas & the associated discoloration, then buffed with green grade buffing sticks, and a cotton buffing wheel 
https://www.hampdon.com.au/Able-Inox-Stainless-Steel-Pickling-Cleaning-Paste-500g








Offline chuck peterson

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 5519
  • Location: New Haven CT
Re: Stupid idea - can I repolish Stainless Steel header pipe?
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2019, 08:30:01 PM »
I do believe head pipes have leapt another order of magnitude with this example..well at least in this neighborhood....... ... :popcorn:

"I'd like to thank all my friends who have kept my Guzzi's going, but mostly...TOMB."
150k on Verts
750 Nevada
400f
R5 Yammie
BV250
4x 1976 Moto Demm Smily,, now 5, oops now 6, oops now 7
1980 SP1000 in little bits and pieces

Offline xackley

  • Gosling
  • ***
  • Posts: 233
  • Location: finger lakes in new york
Re: Stupid idea - can I repolish Stainless Steel header pipe?
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2019, 10:17:20 PM »
https://www.amazon.com/Eastwood-Polishing-Detailing-Different-Compounds/dp/B07PRT38QN/ref=sr_1_6?crid=1HV9L4B124OHJ&keywords=metal+buffing+polishing+kit&qid=1554952396&s=gateway&sprefix=metal+buffing+%2Caps%2C161&sr=8-6

Something like this will work for all your metal polishing needs. Plug in drill required, battery operated are too slow, unless you have tons of patience.
1958 R69 BMW, 1972 R75/5, 1980 yamaha XS650, 1982 GL1100, 2003 EV, 2007 Triumph America and 2017 V7!!!
All on the road, going nowhere in particular.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here
 

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here