Author Topic: This weather is for the BIRDS!  (Read 39495 times)

Offline Chuck in Indiana

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • Posts: 29697
Re: This weather is for the BIRDS!
« Reply #120 on: August 24, 2019, 09:46:40 AM »
anyone know what those 3 birds are??? ?

Ok, John.. number 3 is definitely an immature, probably a robin. 
number 2.. if it's as small as I think, I'm guessing gnatcatcher.
Number 1.. I *think* Northern Mockingbird.
Western birds can be subtly different than eastern birds..                           
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal
 
87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
26 Triumph trident 800
"Social media made y'all way too comfortable with disrespecting people and not getting punched in the face for it."

Mike Tyson

Offline LowRyter

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 16847
  • Location: Edmond OK
Re: This weather is for the BIRDS!
« Reply #121 on: August 24, 2019, 10:08:38 AM »
Ok, John.. number 3 is definitely an immature, probably a robin. 
number 2.. if it's as small as I think, I'm guessing gnatcatcher.
Number 1.. I *think* Northern Mockingbird.
Western birds can be subtly different than eastern birds..                         

Agree .... we call #2 Scissortail Flycatcher.  Since it's the state bird, I've written that the legislature should change the name to the Okla Scissor Tail.  My confusion over #1 and #2 was because I thought that I was taking a photo of the same bird, rather than realizing one was the Scissortail and the other Mocking.  In my mind, I mixed and matched visual clues from both birds.  I looked after I posted and realized my error.

I discovered that #3 was an immature Robin.  It took some searching because I didn't know they had speckled breasts. 

Thanks for your help on this.  :thumb:

« Last Edit: March 12, 2021, 03:14:00 PM by LowRyter »
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline KiwiKev

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 626
  • Location: Taupo, New Zealand
Re: This weather is for the BIRDS!
« Reply #122 on: August 24, 2019, 11:19:49 PM »


Hoards of hungry hummers at my home this morning!
Wow, what a cool picture of my favorite bird in the USA

Offline Guzzistajohn

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • Posts: 12578
  • Location: Missouri Ozarks
Re: This weather is for the BIRDS!
« Reply #123 on: August 25, 2019, 05:06:49 AM »
Wow, what a cool picture of my favorite bird in the USA
.  :thumb:
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline Guzzistajohn

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • Posts: 12578
  • Location: Missouri Ozarks
Re: This weather is for the BIRDS!
« Reply #124 on: March 17, 2020, 07:06:22 PM »
One of my usual "rest stops" on the way to Lake of the Ozarks area is at a Missouri Dept. of Conservation fire tower. I've never seen anyone there. But today Mr. & Mrs. Killdeer were playing house on the parking area  :thumb:





 
« Last Edit: March 17, 2020, 07:07:28 PM by Guzzistajohn »
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline Guzzistajohn

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • Posts: 12578
  • Location: Missouri Ozarks
Re: This weather is for the BIRDS!
« Reply #125 on: February 13, 2021, 01:07:39 PM »








Looks like the birds are chowing down for SNOWMAGEDON!
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline LowRyter

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 16847
  • Location: Edmond OK
Re: This weather is for the BIRDS!
« Reply #126 on: February 13, 2021, 03:13:39 PM »
The Starlings cleaned us out yesterday.  I'm not sure I want to encourage them back. 

My Trooper is covered with bird shit under the ice and snow frozen on it. 
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Online Gliderjohn

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 6792
  • Location: Back in central KS
Re: This weather is for the BIRDS!
« Reply #127 on: February 13, 2021, 04:23:14 PM »
We have seven quail that come by several times a week recently to feed under the bird feeders.






GliderJohn
John Peters
Back in central KS

Offline LowRyter

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 16847
  • Location: Edmond OK
Re: This weather is for the BIRDS!
« Reply #128 on: March 12, 2021, 02:48:11 PM »
Spring is springing.  I was on the patio having a coke and a cigar, smoking ribs.  Got this a few minutes ago.



John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline JJ

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 20004
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
  • Location: Village of Oak Creek, Arizona
Re: This weather is for the BIRDS!
« Reply #129 on: March 12, 2021, 02:52:26 PM »
Male & female House Finches...Male and female Gambel's Quail!! :thumb: :cool: :smiley: :wink:













Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG,
Village of Oak Creek, Arizona
Current bike: 2025 Moto Morini Calibro 700
Previous Guzzi's owned:
* '78 850 Le Mans
* '02 V11 Le Mans
* '93 SP1000-III
* '83 850 Le Mans III
* '98 V10 Centauro GT

Offline LowRyter

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 16847
  • Location: Edmond OK
Re: This weather is for the BIRDS!
« Reply #130 on: July 08, 2021, 10:10:13 PM »
took this the other night....

John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Ncdan

  • Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • *
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 6311
Re: This weather is for the BIRDS!
« Reply #131 on: July 09, 2021, 07:57:14 AM »
We have seven quail that come by several times a week recently to feed under the bird feeders.






GliderJohn
That’s so nice John. I have not heard the “BOB WHITES” in my area for decades now and I really miss them.

Offline LowRyter

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 16847
  • Location: Edmond OK
Re: This weather is for the BIRDS!
« Reply #132 on: July 09, 2021, 09:57:53 AM »
Quail have been gone since my youth.  My dad and uncle hunted them but they weren't around when my cousin and myself were hunting.  I think they're only viable when farmed in hunting ranches.   I've gotten one or two but very rarely. 
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Guzzistajohn

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • Posts: 12578
  • Location: Missouri Ozarks
Re: This weather is for the BIRDS!
« Reply #133 on: July 09, 2021, 10:35:42 AM »
I saw a small covey crossing a ditch in SW Missouri a couple of weeks ago, I was shocked!
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline LowRyter

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 16847
  • Location: Edmond OK
Re: This weather is for the BIRDS!
« Reply #134 on: July 09, 2021, 01:17:26 PM »
Quail Unlimited might be having a positive effect. 
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline JJ

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 20004
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
  • Location: Village of Oak Creek, Arizona
Re: This weather is for the BIRDS!
« Reply #135 on: July 09, 2021, 05:08:39 PM »
You know it's "frickin'-HOT" when the poor birds flutter around with the beaks open... :rolleyes: :shocked:

This poor Juniper Titmouse found relief this afternoon at one of our running sprinkler heads... :thumb:







Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG,
Village of Oak Creek, Arizona
Current bike: 2025 Moto Morini Calibro 700
Previous Guzzi's owned:
* '78 850 Le Mans
* '02 V11 Le Mans
* '93 SP1000-III
* '83 850 Le Mans III
* '98 V10 Centauro GT

 


NEW WILDGUZZI PRODUCT - Moto Guzzi Door Mat
Receive donation credit with door mat purchase!
Advertise Here