Author Topic: Convert suspension advice  (Read 1982 times)

Offline twodogs

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 708
  • Location: ia
Convert suspension advice
« on: September 07, 2021, 09:02:10 AM »
So I got this 77 convert that I have put a little more than 1000 miles on it since I have worked through some issues with the help from this forum  I think I have a keeper, I was looking at the v85tt but with the dealers dropping the brand around my area it is getting harder for me to justify, not out just down, so I turn my attention to the convert and have decided to upgrade the suspension, I'm open to suggestions on owners that have gone down this path  :bike-037: and anyone know someone that can redo the seat? My back thanks for the help  :boozing:
Bruce
1983 Honda CB1100F
2024Triumph 400 Speed x2

Offline chuck peterson

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 5518
  • Location: New Haven CT
Re: Convert suspension advice
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2021, 09:43:13 AM »
Front..

15 yrs ago it was

FAC dampers w

Progressive springs or
the upgraded 2 part springs from the G5, adding an inch of travel (grounding the rear tire while on the centerstand…raising the forks in the triple solved that)

Back..

Progressive shocks..but the springs you pick can make all the difference. I was astounded how well a softer, or rather correct for my weight set of springs felt. Someone at Moto International walked me thru the weight i was wearing

Careful on the height. I think the stock length is what you want

I had a Windjammer (the best) and rear rack w huge bags. That bike felt better the more you loaded it up
"I'd like to thank all my friends who have kept my Guzzi's going, but mostly...TOMB."
150k on Verts
750 Nevada
400f
R5 Yammie
BV250
4x 1976 Moto Demm Smily,, now 5, oops now 6, oops now 7
1980 SP1000 in little bits and pieces

Offline Antietam Classic Cycle

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 15172
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
  • Location: Rohrersville, Maryland
Re: Convert suspension advice
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2021, 10:36:42 AM »
At 40k miles, my '76 is still running original (refilled) front dampers and springs on the front and original shocks on the rear. I don't feel the need to spend a bunch of $$ on anything else.
Charlie

jwinwi

  • Guest
Re: Convert suspension advice
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2021, 11:11:09 AM »
I've been underwhelmed by the performance of FAC dampers. Can't tell much difference between the OEM and FAC... YMMV

Offline mtiberio

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 4218
    • TiberioRacing
Re: Convert suspension advice
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2021, 03:27:35 PM »
I prefer old (but not worn out) front dampers. I also run light oil or atf up front. I like compliance, and new front dampers are usually too harsh for me. If the dampers have no flat spots or dead spots, I re-use them. On the back good luck. I have tried all manner of progressives and they all seem too harsh no matter what spring (and I have at least 3 different weight spring sets). Even ICONs are too harsh new. Maybe it is me. The best shocks I have ever felt are a set of old used Konis. If you see a theme here, it is that I like not a lot of compression damping, so initial bump resistance is low. Not much you can really do to improve a Guzzi in the back end with the heavy rear drive, but both ends benefit from a reduction in unsprung weight. Avoid the cast wheels unless you really have to have tubeless (yes you can convert spoke wheels, I just haven't yet). I drill my axels and use titanium bolts to mount the calipers and for the pinch bolt. Borrannis help the ride a lot. I also go light on the tires. Currently I'm running a 90/90 up front and a 100/90 in the back. Geared a bit low with that one, but tire weight counts for a lot. Some people say this is all a bunch of useless sh*t, but I have a bad back, and anything I can do, I will. I wish I had a Cali II auto swing arm instead of the original convert shorty, that would help the ride. The cost of Cal II auto u-joints prevents me from going that route, yet. Maybe once I run out of short ujoint/driveshafts.
Land Speed Records w/Guzzzi:
SCTA M-PG 1000 141.6 MPH
LTA M-PF 1000 137.3 MPH
ECTA M-PG 1000 118.6 MPH
http://gjm.site90.com/mtiberio

Offline Scout63

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 2692
  • Location: Orleans, MA USA
Re: Convert suspension advice
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2021, 06:00:42 AM »
I’m an IKON shock fan for most of my bikes.  Note that the shocks specd for the Tonti bikes are a smidge too long and ground the rear wheel on the center stand.
Ben Zehnder - Orleans, MA USA

Offline twodogs

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 708
  • Location: ia
Re: Convert suspension advice
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2021, 06:39:53 AM »
Thanks for the reply guys, the Guzzi only has over 10000 miles on her so I don't think they are wore out yet but the stock suspension was never the greatest, it's a pleasure on smooth roads around here, all 2 miles of them but the frost heaves around here are brutal. I'm trying to find someone that knows how to redo a seat with better materials than came stock, the cover is good but half the foam is missing, looks like a botched attempt, that would make the ride a whole lot better but I'm having a hard time finding someone that knows what they are doing  :boozing:
Bruce
1983 Honda CB1100F
2024Triumph 400 Speed x2

jwinwi

  • Guest
Re: Convert suspension advice
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2021, 07:49:31 AM »
You may know this already... OEM Guzzi springs are harsh because they are too weak and have little travel left after the weight of bike and rider are added - especially after 100K miles. I bought Wirth progressive springs and believe they need spacers so they do not sag so much. Maybe I'll get a round tuit someday... BTW, I weigh *only* 200 lbs.

Offline Petrus Rocks

  • Gaggle Mentor
  • ****
  • *
  • Posts: 370
Re: Convert suspension advice
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2021, 10:20:04 AM »
Look for a used set of Koni's on the net.  They are rebuildable, very easy.  You can get the correct springs through Progressive I think.  They sell springs (fronts too) as well as shocks.  I'm not a fan of progressive shocks.  They do work if you're not fussy.  For seats consider Sargent seats. They will rebuild your seat with many options avaliable.  I have had two that were so much better than the original as far as comfort.

Offline Tom H

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 3804
  • Location: So. Cal.
Re: Convert suspension advice
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2021, 11:14:05 AM »
From what I read here. Progressive springs do not fit Koni/Ikon. Different ID. If you need springs, just get the Ikon ones.

Tom
2004 Cali EV Touring
1972 Eldo
1970 Ambo V1000
1973 R75/5 SWB with Toaster
1973 R75/5 LWB
2007 HD Street Bob
1953 Triumph 6T (one day it will be on the road!)

Offline twodogs

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 708
  • Location: ia
Re: Convert suspension advice
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2021, 01:26:02 PM »
Great suggestions, I was looking at Sargent but I might have found a ol boy local to me that was in the business and still takes small jobs in his retirement once in a while.
Bruce
1983 Honda CB1100F
2024Triumph 400 Speed x2

Online Bulldog9

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 3604
  • Location: NY'r resettled in the Old Dominion
Re: Convert suspension advice
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2021, 05:40:58 PM »
+1 on the FAC dampers/progressive fork springs and ICON rear shocks.  Perfect for how and where I ride, though, I have found the fork to be less capable than that on my other bikes. Fork is not as responsive, and bottoms more than I would like on the larger bumps. I haven't touched the forks since I bought it as the PO had done them.
MGNOC#23231
The Living: 1976 Convert, 2007 GRiSO, 2012 Norge GT, 2016 Stornello #742, 2023 V85 TT
The Departed: 2017 MGX, 2014 Norge GT, 2004 Breva 750, 2008 1200 Sport
In Stasis: 1978 XS750, XS1100SF

Offline JayDee24ca

  • Gaggle Mentor
  • ****
  • Posts: 453
  • Location: Boundary Country BC
Re: Convert suspension advice
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2021, 07:57:40 PM »
For less than a hundred bucks you can find a set of Harley xlch air shocks on ebay that fit perfectly and do a great job on the Convert. I have had them on my Vert for several years, and when I added the sidecar last year I simply put a few more pounds in them.
'74 Nuovo Falcone
'79 Convert
79 G5
the rest are all gone.....

Offline twodogs

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 708
  • Location: ia
Re: Convert suspension advice
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2021, 05:45:46 AM »
I didn't know HD made air shocks for the sportster, I new about the baggers.still great suggestions.
Bruce
1983 Honda CB1100F
2024Triumph 400 Speed x2

Offline JayDee24ca

  • Gaggle Mentor
  • ****
  • Posts: 453
  • Location: Boundary Country BC
Re: Convert suspension advice
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2021, 07:46:13 PM »
I didn't know HD made air shocks for the sportster, I new about the baggers.still great suggestions.
Bruce
Yeah, well, you're the harley guy, so you would know. I have no idea about all the harley models, just that the shocks are Showa and are from a full sized bagger, not a sportster. Lots of them on ebay.
'74 Nuovo Falcone
'79 Convert
79 G5
the rest are all gone.....

Offline twodogs

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 708
  • Location: ia
Re: Convert suspension advice
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2021, 06:52:56 AM »
LOL JayDee, I don't know about that but I think I have a friend with a pair, I was leaning towards the ikon but will see.
Bruce
1983 Honda CB1100F
2024Triumph 400 Speed x2


NEW WILDGUZZI PRODUCT - Moto Guzzi Door Mat
Receive donation credit with door mat purchase!
Advertise Here
 

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here