Author Topic: Norge (2v) crash bars. hand protectors?  (Read 2576 times)

Offline barry.b

  • New Egg
  • *
  • Posts: 4
  • Location: Brisbane, Australia
Norge (2v) crash bars. hand protectors?
« on: August 24, 2022, 01:30:05 AM »
Hi all.

It looks like crash/engine bars for the Norge dried up years ago.

Has anyone rigged up anything to protect the body work? Any advice?

I had a low speed drop in gravel last weekend. While the pannier took the brunt, the RH indicator was smashed to pieces, fairing scratched, broken brake lever. For a touring bike, I've got many kilometres to go where this will happen again, probably out the back of nowhere.

Prevention, etc.

Thanks.


Norge 1200, 2v, 2006. Only 30,000kms so far (2nd owner). Effortless bike to ride long distances especially 2-up with luggage, aiming to keep it for many years.
2010 Breva 750 (red) 160,000kms (can't be sure: odometer stopped at 99,999)
2006 Norge 1200 (silver), 17,000kms (recently acquired)

Online Huzo

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 14342
  • Location: Creswick Australia
Re: Norge (2v) crash bars. hand protectors?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2022, 04:43:29 AM »
Hi all.

It looks like crash/engine bars for the Norge dried up years ago.

Has anyone rigged up anything to protect the body work? Any advice?

I had a low speed drop in gravel last weekend. While the pannier took the brunt, the RH indicator was smashed to pieces, fairing scratched, broken brake lever. For a touring bike, I've got many kilometres to go where this will happen again, probably out the back of nowhere.

Prevention, etc.

Thanks.


Norge 1200, 2v, 2006. Only 30,000kms so far (2nd owner). Effortless bike to ride long distances especially 2-up with luggage, aiming to keep it for many years.
Hey mate, welcome..
Nice bike BTW.
I have seen a 2V Norge in Police livery in Italy that has crash/ protection bars.




Offline Pescatore

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 526
  • Location: Reading, Massachusetts
Re: Norge (2v) crash bars. hand protectors?
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2022, 05:26:34 AM »
I recently acquired a 2008 Norge and have been looking for crash bars as well.
You might have found the same links by searching on this forum for "crash bars". Various implementations on a Norge will pop up.
The police ones will not work. This is from Curtis himself, unless later model years had the additional brackets welded on the frame.
Stucchi used to sell a kit, but seems they stopped dealing with consumers directly.
I contacted the person who posted this picture   https://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=115947.msg1828480#msg1828480    but that bike is long gone.
2008 Norge red
1991 V65GT
1980 CM400T
MGNOC Member
Ascolta sempre e solo musica vera
E cerca sempre se puoi di capire

Offline barry.b

  • New Egg
  • *
  • Posts: 4
  • Location: Brisbane, Australia
Re: Norge (2v) crash bars. hand protectors?
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2022, 05:44:28 AM »
Yes it looks like everyone who hasn't already got the protective bits "back in the day" are all in the same boat...

... and have been for a few years now. Sigh.

Not even any "hacks" with Oggy Nobs: nowhere to mount them to be effective.

And I've had it confirmed Stelvio hand guards won't work on the 2V Norge - hits the fairing at full lock.

This is a great bike. The more I ride it, the more I like it.

If I can stop the bodywork deteriatiing I'll be keen to give it a long productive life.

Oh well. Thanks for the confirmation the ship sailed.
2010 Breva 750 (red) 160,000kms (can't be sure: odometer stopped at 99,999)
2006 Norge 1200 (silver), 17,000kms (recently acquired)

Online Huzo

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 14342
  • Location: Creswick Australia
Re: Norge (2v) crash bars. hand protectors?
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2022, 05:57:20 AM »
Yes it looks like everyone who hasn't already got the protective bits "back in the day" are all in the same boat...

... and have been for a few years now. Sigh.

Not even any "hacks" with Oggy Nobs: nowhere to mount them to be effective.

And I've had it confirmed Stelvio hand guards won't work on the 2V Norge - hits the fairing at full lock.

This is a great bike. The more I ride it, the more I like it.

If I can stop the bodywork deteriatiing I'll be keen to give it a long productive life.

Oh well. Thanks for the confirmation the ship sailed.
If you put your mind to it, you’d make a set surely.

Offline Pescatore

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 526
  • Location: Reading, Massachusetts
Re: Norge (2v) crash bars. hand protectors?
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2022, 07:05:53 AM »
If you put your mind to it, you’d make a set surely.

Yep, i intend to do something about it. I'm waiting for the V100 to be released and decide if I want to upgrade.
I have been looking for Stelvio Griso guards, but no luck.

And I've had it confirmed Stelvio hand guards won't work on the 2V Norge - hits the fairing at full lock.

I bought handle bar risers from Motobits and plan to install soon.  Hoping for a slightly more vertical posture.
Then, I will check if enough space is created for the hand guards.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2022, 07:17:03 AM by Pescatore »
2008 Norge red
1991 V65GT
1980 CM400T
MGNOC Member
Ascolta sempre e solo musica vera
E cerca sempre se puoi di capire

Offline Mayor_of_BBQ

  • Instagram: @Mayor_of_BBQ
  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 3656
  • 'Ever thus to deadbeats, Lebowski'
  • Location: Asheville, NC
Re: Norge (2v) crash bars. hand protectors?
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2022, 07:53:50 AM »
Start a saved search on ebay and turn on notifications for that one...  At least that is my approach when finding long out-of production bits!

I think there is a Guzzi owners group on Facebook that is very active, maybe post what you are looking for there as well... 
Chad (Shadrach) in Asheville NC
1979 LeMans CX-100 (battle axe)
2007 Breva 1100 (Sport 1200 tribute)

Offline PJPR01

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 4212
  • Norge, Scura, Griso, Goldwing
  • Location: Houston, Texas
Re: Norge (2v) crash bars. hand protectors?
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2022, 10:00:29 AM »
Hi all.

It looks like crash/engine bars for the Norge dried up years ago.

Has anyone rigged up anything to protect the body work? Any advice?

I had a low speed drop in gravel last weekend. While the pannier took the brunt, the RH indicator was smashed to pieces, fairing scratched, broken brake lever. For a touring bike, I've got many kilometres to go where this will happen again, probably out the back of nowhere.

Prevention, etc.

Thanks.

Norge 1200, 2v, 2006. Only 30,000kms so far (2nd owner). Effortless bike to ride long distances especially 2-up with luggage, aiming to keep it for many years.

I was one of the folks who had the original Stucchi crash bars for a while on my Norge, but eventually took them off and sold them years ago.  I did so because the bars created a rather unpleasant vibration based on how they attach which really took away from the smoothness of the bike.  On the other hand, if that doesn't bother you, the threaded anchor points exist.  I also think the Griso bars are better looking and although I don't think they mount the same way, that might be worth looking at just in the odd case they might connect.  The easiest I think would be to find a welder who can bend the right materials using the original design of either the Norge (Stucchi) or Griso bars can taken as a schematic and then just measure exactly where they have to mount...possibly with heavy duty thick rubber mounts between the engine block and the bars.

Having bars would be nice as well for mounting Highway Pegs or an extra set of driving lights if needed...
Paul R
2021 Honda Goldwing Bagger Manual Cement Gray
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

Online bad Chad

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 10054
  • Location: Central Il
Re: Norge (2v) crash bars. hand protectors?
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2022, 05:13:28 PM »
I have a set of Stucchi head guards for a v1100 Breva.  I don't know if they would work with on a Norge, I'll leave that research to you, but PM if interested.
2025 V85TT
1988 YX600 Radian
2016 CSC 250TT

Offline fatbob

  • Gaggle Mentor
  • ****
  • Posts: 338
  • Location: Casper, WY
Re: Norge (2v) crash bars. hand protectors?
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2022, 08:36:58 PM »


I bought handle bar risers from Motobits and plan to install soon.  Hoping for a slightly more vertical posture.
Then, I will check if enough space is created for the hand guards.

Yes with 3/4” bar risers the Stelvio hand guards only just kiss the fairing at full lock.   I love mine.   
Bob Lower

'07 Norge
'01 K1200LT
'10 Thunderbird
'88 FLHS
'79 R100T
'03 R1150RT
'07 GTS 250

Offline Pescatore

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 526
  • Location: Reading, Massachusetts
Re: Norge (2v) crash bars. hand protectors?
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2022, 04:08:22 AM »
Yes with 3/4” bar risers the Stelvio hand guards only just kiss the fairing at full lock.   I love mine.   
:thumb:
2008 Norge red
1991 V65GT
1980 CM400T
MGNOC Member
Ascolta sempre e solo musica vera
E cerca sempre se puoi di capire

Offline averb

  • Gosling
  • ***
  • Posts: 233
  • Location: Northern Tablelands NSW
Re: Norge (2v) crash bars. hand protectors?
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2022, 12:13:39 AM »
Hey Barry
PM sent

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here
 

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here