Author Topic: Non-locking gas cap for Cali and V7s from Harpers?  (Read 4596 times)

Offline nwguy

  • Gaggle Mentor
  • ****
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 470
    • Jim Gallant's home page
  • Location: Poulsbo, WA
Non-locking gas cap for Cali and V7s from Harpers?
« on: May 27, 2025, 10:53:28 AM »
Anyone ever bought one of these or have an opinion on them?

https://harpermoto.com/products/0110566-fuel-cap-lock-eliminator



1999 Moto Guzzi Bassa, 06 Yamaha Morphous

Past: 2020 Husky Svartpilen, 08 Norge, 07 Burgman, 3 Buell Lightnings, 02 BMW R1150RS, 05 Ducati Multistrada, Kawasaki Concours, Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 Classic, 02 Honda ST110, Aprilia Falco, Suzuki VX800, Yamaha Radian, Suzuki TS185, Yamaha RD400

Online AJ Huff

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 4263
  • Location: College Community IA
Re: Non-locking gas cap for Cali and V7s from Harpers?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2025, 11:51:17 AM »
Looks similar to the ones that Stephen Brenton used to make. Maybe he sold his version to Harper's? I have Stephen's and it has worked flawlessly for many many years.

-AJ
'71 Ambassador
'01 California Special
'05 Road King
MGNOC# L-753

Online michaell32

  • Gosling
  • ***
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 171
  • Location: Salt Lake City
Re: Non-locking gas cap for Cali and V7s from Harpers?
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2025, 10:10:23 PM »
I am sure it works just fine.  I took a simpler approach by taking the lock out and removing the tumblers.  Then I went to lowes and bought a knob and cut the round stem into a straight blade.  Once it fit tightly I JB welded it into place so it is water tight.
2003 California EV
2018 Suzuki DR650
78 Honda GL1000

Offline nwguy

  • Gaggle Mentor
  • ****
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 470
    • Jim Gallant's home page
  • Location: Poulsbo, WA
Re: Non-locking gas cap for Cali and V7s from Harpers?
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2025, 02:48:51 PM »
I am sure it works just fine.  I took a simpler approach by taking the lock out and removing the tumblers.  Then I went to lowes and bought a knob and cut the round stem into a straight blade.  Once it fit tightly I JB welded it into place so it is water tight.

Picture?
1999 Moto Guzzi Bassa, 06 Yamaha Morphous

Past: 2020 Husky Svartpilen, 08 Norge, 07 Burgman, 3 Buell Lightnings, 02 BMW R1150RS, 05 Ducati Multistrada, Kawasaki Concours, Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 Classic, 02 Honda ST110, Aprilia Falco, Suzuki VX800, Yamaha Radian, Suzuki TS185, Yamaha RD400

Offline Skysailor64

  • Hatchling
  • **
  • Posts: 47
  • Location: Massachusetts
Re: Non-locking gas cap for Cali and V7s from Harpers?
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2025, 02:57:09 PM »
I am sure it works just fine.  I took a simpler approach by taking the lock out and removing the tumblers.  Then I went to lowes and bought a knob and cut the round stem into a straight blade.  Once it fit tightly I JB welded it into place so it is water tight.
A photo or two please of your solution.  Thanks!

Online michaell32

  • Gosling
  • ***
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 171
  • Location: Salt Lake City
Re: Non-locking gas cap for Cali and V7s from Harpers?
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2025, 03:09:30 PM »
I didn't take any pictures of the disassembly but this is the final result.

2003 California EV
2018 Suzuki DR650
78 Honda GL1000

Offline nwguy

  • Gaggle Mentor
  • ****
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 470
    • Jim Gallant's home page
  • Location: Poulsbo, WA
Re: Non-locking gas cap for Cali and V7s from Harpers?
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2025, 12:30:52 PM »
Michael, mind adding a picture of the underside of your gas cap modification? I dismantled mine and I think I understand what to do, but I'd like to see yours for reference. That's a nice knob by the way.

As I understand it, the knob has a shaft that extends through the tube where the tumblers were. Then that shaft is somehow fastened to the metal collar that rotates. I see 2 slots in the collar that could be used for fastening. On yours, does the collar rotate via the knob or is the collar fixed in place by the JB Weld? Do the knob and collar rotate or is the whole cap assembly now one solid piece so the whole thing rotates?





« Last Edit: May 30, 2025, 12:41:03 PM by nwguy »
1999 Moto Guzzi Bassa, 06 Yamaha Morphous

Past: 2020 Husky Svartpilen, 08 Norge, 07 Burgman, 3 Buell Lightnings, 02 BMW R1150RS, 05 Ducati Multistrada, Kawasaki Concours, Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 Classic, 02 Honda ST110, Aprilia Falco, Suzuki VX800, Yamaha Radian, Suzuki TS185, Yamaha RD400

Online michaell32

  • Gosling
  • ***
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 171
  • Location: Salt Lake City
Re: Non-locking gas cap for Cali and V7s from Harpers?
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2025, 07:43:16 PM »
It's been 2 years but I remember the bottom looking factory when I was done. On the top there was a cover you have to remove and then remove a pin which releases the lock cylinder. After that I removed the tumblers from the cylinder and put it back together. After that anything resembling a flathead screwdriver could open an close it. With a Dremel I made the bottom of the knob into a straight blade that fit snug and used jb weld so rain couldn't get in. Certain types of RTV could work as well but I was worried about fuel vapors breaking it down.
2003 California EV
2018 Suzuki DR650
78 Honda GL1000

Offline Joliet Jim

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 6249
  • Justus Esto, Et Non Metue
Re: Non-locking gas cap for Cali and V7s from Harpers?
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2025, 09:22:00 PM »
Good looking and good price, if I didn't already have one I'd get this.
1975 T160 Triumph Trident "Spot"
2002 Cali Stone "Moby Dick"
2003 Buell Blast "Pegasus"
Just memories
The Psycho Chicken
The Fire Demon
Thumper

Offline elrealistico

  • Gosling
  • ***
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 233
  • Location: Central Florida USA
Re: Non-locking gas cap for Cali and V7s from Harpers?
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2026, 05:58:01 PM »
Sorry for the necro thread revival---butt--

I just got the Harpers fuel cap lock cylinder eliminator for 1100 tanks and need to figure out how to get it installed. How'd ya remove the lock cylinder? Looks like its a small crosspin at the bottom to remove? The new part has only that hole. But it doesn't rotate to the slots in the metal so it can be grabbed easily. Quick look didn't see any other lockring or circlip, or am i Missing something?
2018 V7III Special
1978 T140V Bonneville
2004 EV Touring

Online michaell32

  • Gosling
  • ***
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 171
  • Location: Salt Lake City
Re: Non-locking gas cap for Cali and V7s from Harpers?
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2026, 10:04:59 AM »
The cross pin takes the whole upper assembly from what I recall. To get the lock cylinder itself out you have to remove the cover on top and there is a pin that goes straight down. With the Harper's kit I don't think you have to remove the lock cylinder. I only had too because I bought a knob from Lowe's or Amazon to make mine.
2003 California EV
2018 Suzuki DR650
78 Honda GL1000

Offline sk66

  • New Egg
  • *
  • Posts: 1
  • Location: Harrisburg PA
Re: Non-locking gas cap for Cali and V7s from Harpers?
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2026, 12:55:01 PM »
Sorry for the necro thread revival---butt--

I just got the Harpers fuel cap lock cylinder eliminator for 1100 tanks and need to figure out how to get it installed. How'd ya remove the lock cylinder? Looks like its a small crosspin at the bottom to remove? The new part has only that hole. But it doesn't rotate to the slots in the metal so it can be grabbed easily. Quick look didn't see any other lockring or circlip, or am i Missing something?
The cylinder has to be in the locked position, then the pin is removable. It's easier if you press the plastic cap down against the spring to unload the pin. Once the pin is removed the other components just lift off and the cylinder can be pressed out the top. Note that there is an o-ring and teflon washer at the end of the cylinder which waterproofs the cap/cylinder; you will want to reuse those on your replacement.
Steven
2014 California 1400 Touring

Offline elrealistico

  • Gosling
  • ***
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 233
  • Location: Central Florida USA
Re: Non-locking gas cap for Cali and V7s from Harpers?
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2026, 02:13:11 PM »
Yeah, I did it today, pretty simple. Pin out, lock cylinder comes out, spring goes boing. Put spring back , put new big knob on top, pus down, line up , put pin back in, done. Its still not the easist to twist off, since the plastic is still there, but don't have to worry about breaking key off, and it looks good!
2018 V7III Special
1978 T140V Bonneville
2004 EV Touring

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here
 

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here