Author Topic: Shock adjustment on 03 Cali EV  (Read 3424 times)

Online SemperVee

  • My life will be told in MC people and experiences more than anything else.
  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 1217
  • USMC Retired
  • Location: Seattle - ish
Shock adjustment on 03 Cali EV
« on: August 15, 2025, 09:14:52 PM »
 I’ve owned many motorcycles and appreciate the unique way Moto Guzzi communicates information—or often lacks it—in their service manuals. However, I can’t find anywhere to actually adjust the shocks, aside from the rebound wheel at the bottom. There’s no tool included in the toolkit, and I don’t see any way to adjust the spring tension to make them softer or harder, which would help me set the sag or soften the ride. The front fork has plenty of adjustment options, but I’m not sure how much difference it makes. From what I’ve read, it doesn’t seem to be that effective.  See pics of OEM shocks - how to?



« Last Edit: August 15, 2025, 09:15:31 PM by SemperVee »
56 years of Street Riding - All Brands
2007 MG Norge - VroomHilda
2003 Cali Hydro EV
2012 Victory CCT
2007 MG RED Norge
14 Harleys 2 VStrom 1000's
2005 BMW K1200LT, 81 R100RT, 73R/75/5

USMC Retired - Rider since 1973 - La Dolce Vita
Moto Guzzi - Making mechanics out of Riders since 1921

Offline guzzisteve

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 13017
  • "Just Ride It"
Re: Shock adjustment on 03 Cali EV
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2025, 09:23:28 PM »
Spring does not adj, not much good. Mine are soft & makes  rear brake last 7-8K mi
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"
Location: Planet Earth

Online StuCorpe

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 1154
  • Location: Traverse City, MI
Re: Shock adjustment on 03 Cali EV
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2025, 09:00:18 AM »
The only tool you need to adjust these are your hands.  Grab the bottom chrome piece and turn it.  It is marked which way to turn for stiffer or softer.  I don't remember for sure but it seems like they go about 8 turns in one direction before running into the stops.

Offline guzzista

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 1071
  • Location: SF Bay Area
Re: Shock adjustment on 03 Cali EV
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2025, 12:05:53 PM »
The only way I could  some preload increase on my EV was to insert some cut up VHB Carburetor clamps  stacked under the springs . That got about  1/4 inch additional preload. Bespoke Ohlins were next. New rear brake pads were needed with every rear tire change. ( 6/8k miles)
1975 750S Tribute bike, 1994 Cali 1100, 2007 Ducati GT1000, 1983 SP1000, 1973 V7Sport project, 2017 California1400 Touring

Offline John A

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 5419
  • No way to slow down...
  • Location: Hager city ,western WI
Re: Shock adjustment on 03 Cali EV
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2025, 02:53:29 PM »
When I took the springs off my Bassa shocks, I found a  circlip that set the preload.  It had three grooves so I put it for more preload. I ended up making spacers as well. Almost every vehicle I come across the springs are set with very little preload and soft springs.  I eventually replaced the shocks with  Hagon Nitros that I bought used.
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Online SemperVee

  • My life will be told in MC people and experiences more than anything else.
  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 1217
  • USMC Retired
  • Location: Seattle - ish
Re: Shock adjustment on 03 Cali EV
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2025, 04:07:12 PM »
The only tool you need to adjust these are your hands.  Grab the bottom chrome piece and turn it.  It is marked which way to turn for stiffer or softer.  I don't remember for sure but it seems like they go about 8 turns in one direction before running into the stops.

Thanks Stu but that did nothing on mine and they are not marked. I do have a small wheel on the botton that will turn about 15 audible clicks but I believe that is for rebound only.  Hard to believe this is not address while the forks ARE adjustable, supposedly. I can't tell any difference.
56 years of Street Riding - All Brands
2007 MG Norge - VroomHilda
2003 Cali Hydro EV
2012 Victory CCT
2007 MG RED Norge
14 Harleys 2 VStrom 1000's
2005 BMW K1200LT, 81 R100RT, 73R/75/5

USMC Retired - Rider since 1973 - La Dolce Vita
Moto Guzzi - Making mechanics out of Riders since 1921

Offline drdwb

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 1379
    • backfeelsgreat.com
Re: Shock adjustment on 03 Cali EV
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2025, 09:12:03 PM »
If you find a way to adjust the rear shock other than the small wheel let me know. I spent days looking thru pdfs of manuals, parts books and shop manuals and have found nothing. I also invested in a complete set of the C tools for shock adjustment, I think there’s 8 or 9 but none of them could grip anything on the top or bottom to turn like you would see the steps on my old Yamahas, yet my wife’s baby Breva , and her 04 California Stone have rear shock adjustments so apparently Moto Guzzi didn’t think rear shock adjustment was necessary on the EV. Sure would help with the side car rig. I may have to invest in aftermarket, maybe air shocks.
07 Norge, 05 Baby Breva, 04 Stone  Touring , 03 EV, 82 650 Maxim 79 XS750 Special 78XS1100 Teraplane side car

Offline Wayne Orwig

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 14139
    • Hog Mountain weather
  • Location: Hog Mountain
Re: Shock adjustment on 03 Cali EV
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2025, 07:52:51 AM »
The position of the swingarm effects the rear brake proportioning valve on the swingarm. More weight on the rear, more rear brake. Less weight, less brake. If you have an adjustable spring, that will mess with the rear brakes. That may be why the do not have spring adjustments.

That said, I put adjustable Ikon shocks on mine, adjusted them for the sag I wanted, then adjusted the brake valve per the service manual. All, including braking, is well.
Good judgement comes from experience.
And experience. That comes from poor judgement.

Offline bronzestar1

  • Gaggle Mentor
  • ****
  • Posts: 372
  • Location: East Coast USA
Re: Shock adjustment on 03 Cali EV
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2025, 10:14:41 AM »
I had an EV, and replaced the stock OEM shocks with a set of Harley air shocks.  They're relatively inexpensive, and there are usually several sets available on eBay.  Whenever I've used HD air shocks, I always installed a Shrader valve on each shock body, and aired them up separately, no air lines / t-fittings / single air inlet to configure.  A good hand pump is all you need, so that can be stowed or easily packed.  From what I remember, I weighed about 200 lbs at the time, would have maybe 5 psi in each shock for solo riding.  Depending on passenger and/or baggage weight, the most I ever had them up to was 15 psi.   

Online StuCorpe

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 1154
  • Location: Traverse City, MI
Re: Shock adjustment on 03 Cali EV
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2025, 10:48:24 AM »
OK I made a mistake, the adjustment I described is for damping of the shock absorber inside the spring.  There is no adjustment for spring preload.  I just looked in the owners manual and this is what it says on page 136.

 Rear shock-absorber adjustment (EV-EV TOURING only) fig 20  The motorcycle is equipped with ->shock absorbers with adjustment of hydraulic damping during rebound.  To adjust hydraulic braking in extension, work on the ring nut "A" (lower).  Turn it counter-clockwise (-> HARD to increase, clockwise (<- SOFT to decrease.

Sorry formisking damping for preload.

Online SemperVee

  • My life will be told in MC people and experiences more than anything else.
  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 1217
  • USMC Retired
  • Location: Seattle - ish
Re: Shock adjustment on 03 Cali EV
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2025, 11:20:42 AM »
OK I made a mistake, the adjustment I described is for damping of the shock absorber inside the spring.  There is no adjustment for spring preload.  I just looked in the owners manual and this is what it says on page 136.

 Rear shock-absorber adjustment (EV-EV TOURING only) fig 20  The motorcycle is equipped with ->shock absorbers with adjustment of hydraulic damping during rebound.  To adjust hydraulic braking in extension, work on the ring nut "A" (lower).  Turn it counter-clockwise (-> HARD to increase, clockwise (<- SOFT to decrease.

Sorry formisking damping for preload.

It is a bit straonge that they include the fork compression and rebound in front but not in the rear to match it other than rebound? 
56 years of Street Riding - All Brands
2007 MG Norge - VroomHilda
2003 Cali Hydro EV
2012 Victory CCT
2007 MG RED Norge
14 Harleys 2 VStrom 1000's
2005 BMW K1200LT, 81 R100RT, 73R/75/5

USMC Retired - Rider since 1973 - La Dolce Vita
Moto Guzzi - Making mechanics out of Riders since 1921


NEW WILDGUZZI PRODUCT - Moto Guzzi Door Mat
Receive donation credit with door mat purchase!
Advertise Here
 


NEW WILDGUZZI PRODUCT - Moto Guzzi Door Mat
Receive donation credit with door mat purchase!
Advertise Here