Author Topic: V65 new steering lock fitting - I'm lost...  (Read 2041 times)

Offline chrisk

  • Gosling
  • ***
  • Posts: 144
V65 new steering lock fitting - I'm lost...
« on: January 25, 2016, 12:18:38 PM »
Hi, I bought this new from gutsibits but cant work out how to fit it..?

When I fitted one to an RD Yamaha the key would go in and then the whole mechanism/shaft would slide forwards into the steering tube, therefore locking the steering. This one just twists and I can't get the shaft to slide forward. I've removed the two grub screws one by one but it makes no difference.

Does this seem right... any ideas ?




Offline Groover

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 2945
  • If it ain't broke, I'll break it.
    • Scooteropolis
  • Location: Columbus, Ohio
Re: V65 new steering lock fitting - I'm lost...
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2016, 12:38:09 PM »
I think you have to turn the barrel a little to the left, then push the assembly in when the pin and the woodroof looking shoulder line up, then turn the key again. You should also have a spring in front of all that I think.

I'm terrible at explaining this, but I've put in a few of those locks. The older vespas have that same system.
1981 Moto Guzzi V1000G5
1987 Moto Guzzi LM1000SE, a
1987 Moto Guzzi LM1000SE, b
1980 Piaggio Vespa P200E
1980 Piaggio Vespa P125X
1980 Vespa Grande Moped
1980 Vespa SI Moped
http://scooteropolis.com/

Offline Groover

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 2945
  • If it ain't broke, I'll break it.
    • Scooteropolis
  • Location: Columbus, Ohio
Re: V65 new steering lock fitting - I'm lost...
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2016, 12:40:42 PM »
Also, make sure the steering isn't too far turned. I've noticed on my guzzi that it has to be "almost" all the way turned, but if I rely on the lower triple-tree stoppers to be where it needs to be, it won't lock. I'd say move the steering a little left and right and see if you find the hole in the steering tube that way,
« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 12:41:43 PM by Groover »
1981 Moto Guzzi V1000G5
1987 Moto Guzzi LM1000SE, a
1987 Moto Guzzi LM1000SE, b
1980 Piaggio Vespa P200E
1980 Piaggio Vespa P125X
1980 Vespa Grande Moped
1980 Vespa SI Moped
http://scooteropolis.com/

Offline v65tt

  • Gosling
  • ***
  • Posts: 142
    • Streffords
  • Location: UK / GB
Re: V65 new steering lock fitting - I'm lost...
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2016, 01:55:19 PM »
Hi, I bought this new from gutsibits but cant work out how to fit it..?

When I fitted one to an RD Yamaha the key would go in and then the whole mechanism/shaft would slide forwards into the steering tube, therefore locking the steering. This one just twists and I can't get the shaft to slide forward. I've removed the two grub screws one by one but it makes no difference.

Does this seem right... any ideas ?



im sure there are 2 different types of steering lock
Iain

1984 V7 TT ( 2015 v7 stone powered TT )
1986 V65TT
2016 SWM SILVER VASE 440
1974 HONDA XL250 MOTOSPORT

http://www.streffords.net

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here
 

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here