Author Topic: Worst Gas Mileage ?  (Read 7559 times)

Offline SmithSwede

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 2191
  • I don't want a pickle
  • Location: Dallas, Texas
Worst Gas Mileage ?
« on: February 01, 2016, 08:21:28 PM »
What's the worse gas mileage you have gotten on a tank of gas on a motorcycle?  Guzzi and/or other bikes?

I had to blast my way down to Houston from Dallas this afternoon on I-45 on the little V7 Stone.  There were fierce headwinds and crosswinds most of the way.  I was running an indicated 85 to 95 for a lot of that, and was surprised multiple time when I realized I was WOT.  There was no more twist left!

Verdict at gas station?  35.5 mpg.  Ouch. 

On the other hand, I'm pretty sure I've boiled any water condensation out of my oils!   No wintertime mayonnaise for me.

I seem to recall getting about 21 mpg on an RD350 two stoke back in the day, with similar WOT application.   But that's a two stroke. 
Accentuate the positive;
Eliminate the negative;
Latch on to the affirmative;
Don't mess with Mister In-Between.

oldbike54

  • Guest
Re: Worst Gas Mileage ?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2016, 08:30:09 PM »
 Did once get only 28 MPG on a first gen R100RT traveling across Wyoming in 30 degree very windy conditions . My buddy's '97 carb Cali only got about 29 MPG under the same conditions . Probably didn't help that we were running above 90 MPH  :rolleyes:

  Dusty

Offline guzzisteve

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 13017
  • "Just Ride It"
Re: Worst Gas Mileage ?
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2016, 08:36:36 PM »
I think all the bikes I had before my LM3 got better and after have gotten better. Worst on it was 25mpg, hotroding w/a few other bikes and some high speed racing on the big end. This was when I went to the flat track races every weekend. The more you twist the more it squirts.
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"
Location: Planet Earth

Offline thepittsburghguzzi

  • Gosling
  • ***
  • Posts: 151
  • Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Re: Worst Gas Mileage ?
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2016, 08:49:02 PM »
As I write this, I'm counting down till friday when I can go and see my new (to me) V7 Classic... until then, my trusty 1979 KZ750 treats me kindly at the gas pump. Worst was 42mpg, which involved a lot of idle time playing with the carbs and then ripping the hell out of it on on-ramps, and best has been 54mpg, an afternoon of two-lane backroads, between 50 and 70mph average. Can't wait to see what my V7 does!  :bike-037:
2012 V7 Classic - Scarlet
1979 KZ750 Twin - Copper

-Paul

Offline Wayne Orwig

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 14138
    • Hog Mountain weather
  • Location: Hog Mountain
Re: Worst Gas Mileage ?
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2016, 08:50:23 PM »
I got 97 miles on a tank of gasoline on my EV. That is less than 21MPG.
I was going across South Dakota, into a headwind, towing the camper, at ludicrous speed.

Generally my Centauro got poor fuel economy. Low 30s. But I once followed a friend that rode a GoldWing. I got right near 55MPG poking along, so that was directly related to the right wrist.
 
Good judgement comes from experience.
And experience. That comes from poor judgement.

Offline Sasquatch Jim

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 9600
  • Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever
Re: Worst Gas Mileage ?
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2016, 09:13:37 PM »
 17 MPG on a 400cc Maico single cylinder.  The throttle was like an on/off switch.  Very little delicacy
 of control but awesome throttle response.  It was geared for about a 75 Mph top end but only took a few seconds to get there If I could shift fast enough.
 
Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.

Offline fotoguzzi

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 20021
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
Re: Worst Gas Mileage ?
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2016, 09:16:10 PM »
I got 97 miles on a tank of gasoline on my EV. That is less than 21MPG.
I was going across South Dakota, into a headwind, towing the camper, at ludicrous speed.
 
no trailer but same/

95 Cal 1100i,


Fully loaded down (coming home from one of the few SD Guzzi rally's) Sturgiss to Mpls, 650 miles in a day..90+mph on the freeway.. first tankful I ran out of gas at 90 miles.. if you know South Dakota you know how lucky I got, when running out an exit materialized and I coasted down the exit ramp to a gas station.. very strong winds from the east which is not the normal pattern for the plains, I had a big w/s on too..
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Online PJPR01

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 4212
  • Norge, Scura, Griso, Goldwing
  • Location: Houston, Texas
Re: Worst Gas Mileage ?
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2016, 10:02:22 PM »
What's the worse gas mileage you have gotten on a tank of gas on a motorcycle?  Guzzi and/or other bikes?

I had to blast my way down to Houston from Dallas this afternoon on I-45 on the little V7 Stone.

SmithSwede...I hope the Radar scanners around Corsicana weren't out and about today to spoil that spirited run!! 
Paul R
2021 Honda Goldwing Bagger Manual Cement Gray
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

Offline timonbik

  • Gaggle Mentor
  • ****
  • Posts: 381
  • Location: ONTARIO, CANADA
Re: Worst Gas Mileage ?
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2016, 10:09:50 PM »
25 MPG IMP Gallon on a 1972 Kawasaki S-2 350 triple at 70 mph.  This was normal.. rumour had it that they used gas to cool the engine!!!  At least gas was cheap then.
2008 BREVA 750
2020 V85TT ADV rosso
2016 APRILIA SHIVER 750
2013 VICTORY JUDGE CUSTOM
2013 VICTORY XR CLASSIC
2006 VICTORY V92TC
2006 DUCATI MULTISTRADA 620 (IN DUCATI HEAVEN)

Offline Triple Jim

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 5930
    • Lakeland Services Company
  • Location: North Central North Carolina
Re: Worst Gas Mileage ?
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2016, 10:35:49 PM »
When my H2 had a stuck float valve a few years ago, I went 45 miles from a full tank to reserve.  That's about 45/3.5=12.8 mpg.  Once I fixed the problem, it went back to its usual 30 or so.
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Offline cookiemech

  • Gaggle Mentor
  • ****
  • Posts: 411
  • Location: West Newton, PA
Re: Worst Gas Mileage ?
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2016, 06:04:52 AM »
My 1986 BMW R80RT used to get around 33-34 mpg commuting to work in the winter (17 miles). In the summer it would get up around 40. Other than the wonderful fairing (in winter; would roast me in summer), the bike was a total POS for 87K miles. I fiddled with jetting and ignition, to no avail.

When I stepped up to a K75RT, commuting mileage in winter went to 45-47 mpg, so it wasn't my riding style that contributed to that awful mileage. My Harley Touring bikes routinely deliver 42-44 mpg.

Offline Murray

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 3053
Re: Worst Gas Mileage ?
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2016, 06:09:10 AM »
Guzzi 1100 sport dim dark memory would get down to around 12l/100kms which is around 23.5mpg or 19.6mpg depending on which measuring system you choose to use. You arrive at your destination in good time though.

Online Gliderjohn

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 6797
  • Location: Back in central KS
Re: Worst Gas Mileage ?
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2016, 06:47:46 AM »
Mid 30s on the Norge but then is really beats 38. I have never had a chance to ride a whole tank in town but I would not be surprised if it dropped to the mid 20s. In town I can almost watch the gas gauge move.
GliderJohn
John Peters
Back in central KS

Offline Chuck in Indiana

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • Posts: 29700
Re: Worst Gas Mileage ?
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2016, 07:31:14 AM »
Mid 30s on the Norge but then is really beats 38. I have never had a chance to ride a whole tank in town but I would not be surprised if it dropped to the mid 20s. In town I can almost watch the gas gauge move.
GliderJohn

Something's gotta be wrong with it?
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal
 
87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
26 Triumph trident 800
"Social media made y'all way too comfortable with disrespecting people and not getting punched in the face for it."

Mike Tyson

Offline Chuck in Indiana

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • Posts: 29700
Re: Worst Gas Mileage ?
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2016, 07:33:58 AM »
The Jack-All rig generally got mid 30s, but beating into a big head wind out west, it got low 20s one time. A guy on a lead wing came over at a gas station and said he had just got 20 on that tank..
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal
 
87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
26 Triumph trident 800
"Social media made y'all way too comfortable with disrespecting people and not getting punched in the face for it."

Mike Tyson

Offline huub

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 794
Re: Worst Gas Mileage ?
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2016, 08:02:25 AM »
my worst on a guzzi was 22 mpg running my V65 TT off road.
that was fun, doing mx tracks all day.
best mileage on the same bike was 78 mpg during a touring holiday.

Online Gliderjohn

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 6797
  • Location: Back in central KS
Re: Worst Gas Mileage ?
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2016, 08:03:03 AM »
Quote from Chuck in Indiana:
Quote
Something's gotta be wrong with it?

Don't think so. Has had it's proper services and latest mapping as of last fall. Runs great. Keep in mind that living here in Kansas I do a lot of 75-85 mph time(Actual) and run the sidebags and top case. If I keep it below 70 I might get into the low 40s.
GliderJohn
John Peters
Back in central KS

Offline jas67

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 5438
  • Location: Palmyra, PA
Re: Worst Gas Mileage ?
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2016, 08:31:41 AM »
My 1986 BMW R80RT used to get around 33-34 mpg commuting to work in the winter (17 miles). In the summer it would get up around 40. Other than the wonderful fairing (in winter; would roast me in summer), the bike was a total POS for 87K miles. I fiddled with jetting and ignition, to no avail.

When I stepped up to a K75RT, commuting mileage in winter went to 45-47 mpg, so it wasn't my riding style that contributed to that awful mileage. My Harley Touring bikes routinely deliver 42-44 mpg.

I've had two R100R's, mid-to-upper thirties was the best I could average.     Cold weather MPG was 33, warm weather best was 40.

I did experiment with different jets and needles.   If I tuned them to get any better, they didn't run as well.
2017 V7III Special
1977 Le Mans
1974 Eldorado
2017 Triumph Thruxton R
2013 Ducati Monster 796, 2013 848 Evo Corse SE, 1974 750GT, 1970 Mk3d 450 Desmo, 1966 Monza 250
1975 Moto Morini 3 1/2
2007 Vespa GTS250
2016 BMW R1200RS, 80 R100S, 76 R90S ,73 R75/5
76 Honda CB400F, 67 305 Super Hawk, 68 CL175

Offline Vagrant

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 2916
  • Location: Gainesville, Ga or Green Valley Az.
Re: Worst Gas Mileage ?
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2016, 08:47:03 AM »
in 2012 I rode the 2001 EV from Ga.to Az. 1800 miles of honest 75 on the interstate in 100-104 temps.
25 MPG, (and people ask why I want a big gas tank and decent mileage) mileage was only 35 in a 200 mile mountain run in New Mexico so I changed the TPS. right back to 47 average.
HE IS FREE WHO LIVES AS HE CHOOSES
2026 V7-850 Sport, 2017 V7-III Blue special, 2025 V85 the fast red one! 2023 V85 Guardian of the Oreo's
L-196, L-197

Offline mjptexas

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 1034
Re: Worst Gas Mileage ?
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2016, 10:58:58 AM »
24 mpg on my Cali Custom - averaging 85 mph into a 25+ mph headwind headed east on Hwy 90.
Mike

'18 R Nine T Urban GS
'17 Griso
'16 XL1200 Roadster
'15 Monster 821
'14 Cali Custom
'14 Vespa GTS300 Super
'15 Vespa Primavera
'75 CB400F
'76 CB550F

Offline Chuck in Indiana

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • Posts: 29700
Re: Worst Gas Mileage ?
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2016, 11:13:45 AM »
Quote from Chuck in Indiana:
Don't think so. Has had it's proper services and latest mapping as of last fall. Runs great. Keep in mind that living here in Kansas I do a lot of 75-85 mph time(Actual) and run the sidebags and top case. If I keep it below 70 I might get into the low 40s.
GliderJohn

Yeah but...
Quote
I have never had a chance to ride a whole tank in town but I would not be surprised if it dropped to the mid 20s.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal
 
87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
26 Triumph trident 800
"Social media made y'all way too comfortable with disrespecting people and not getting punched in the face for it."

Mike Tyson

Online Gliderjohn

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 6797
  • Location: Back in central KS
Re: Worst Gas Mileage ?
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2016, 11:41:08 AM »
Quote from Chuck in Indiana:
Quote
Yeah but...
Quote
I have never had a chance to ride a whole tank in town but I would not be surprised if it dropped to the mid 20s.

It is a thirsty bike if it has to accelerate a lot. In town like Wichita that is full of stoplights and four ways the Norge gets thirsty. Maybe some others here with 8V could have more in town riding time and could chime in.
GliderJohn
John Peters
Back in central KS

Offline john hooper

  • Gaggle Mentor
  • ****
  • Posts: 409
Re: Worst Gas Mileage ?
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2016, 02:25:40 PM »
My breva 1100 gets down in the low 20's if i use it to commute to work ( 7 miles in each direction) during the winter months, the colder it gets the worse  the mpg, i think this is because it is effectively  on choke for the whole journey  whereas  in the old days the  manual  choke whould have been switched off at the first opportunity  (generally at the end of the street that you lived in). On the upside long summer rides see's mpg in the mid 50's a difference of over a 100 miles per tank.

john

Offline v65tt

  • Gosling
  • ***
  • Posts: 142
    • Streffords
  • Location: UK / GB
Re: Worst Gas Mileage ?
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2016, 02:57:59 PM »
I was getting 70 miles on a tank with my v65tt when I first got it

About 35mpg ridden slowly and solo
« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 03:00:06 PM by v65tt »
Iain

1984 V7 TT ( 2015 v7 stone powered TT )
1986 V65TT
2016 SWM SILVER VASE 440
1974 HONDA XL250 MOTOSPORT

http://www.streffords.net

Offline Luap McKeever

  • Owner, WildGuzzi.com
  • Administrator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 3804
  • Lead, follow, or get out of the way!
    • Wildgoose Chase Moto Guzzi
  • Location: Mountain, Missouri
Re: Worst Gas Mileage ?
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2016, 04:41:04 PM »
When I had my 98 EV, I took a 10 day solo road trip in 2001.  Pulling my little mini harbor freight trailer with tent and other supplies into a 30MPH Easterly Kansas headwind after a refuel stop, the fuel light came on at 60 miles on that tank. It was horrible.  Roughly 20 MPG.

Good thing I wasn't in New Mexico where some towns are 150 + miles apart.  Even though I carried a gallon gas can, it wouldn't have done much good.
Owner, Wildguzzi.com (est. 1996)
2021 V85TT Centenario E5
2001 California Special
2001 California EV
2007 Honda Goldwing GL1800

Past Guzzi's: 72 Eldo, 73 Eldo, 98 EV, 2000 Quota, 76 T3, 84 V65C, 98 Centauro,  09 Stelvio, 12 Stelvio, 17 MGX21

wahoo650

  • Guest
Re: Worst Gas Mileage ?
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2016, 06:30:05 AM »
My '80 Yamaha XS850 Special can drop to the low 30's with a heavy hand.  Typically get 38ish commuting on her and as good as 50 out on the back roads taking it easy.  My '14 V7 Stone haven't gotten less than 38 with a heavy hand and usually 42ish commuting.  low 50's out on the back roads taking it easy.  Oddly my old XS650 Cafe never really cared how I rode her, always 50-55 mpg.

Offline normzone

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 3159
  • '72 Eldo - 1980 to 1990 - '99 Bassa 2014 - 2023
  • Location: San Diego CA
Re: Worst Gas Mileage ?
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2016, 02:14:55 PM »
26.8 MPG after a tankful at wide open throttle on the Bassa.
"If you rode and survived a Kawasaki 750 H2 then you are already a legend" - Thank you [Huzo]

Offline Wayne Orwig

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 14138
    • Hog Mountain weather
  • Location: Hog Mountain
Re: Worst Gas Mileage ?
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2016, 03:26:58 PM »
Good thing I wasn't in New Mexico where some towns are 150 + miles apart.  Even though I carried a gallon gas can, it wouldn't have done much good.

Been there, done that.
My small 16oz emergency fuel bottle took me from the middle of nowhere South Dakota, to 8 miles from the middle of nowhere South Dakota.
The wife was not happy.  :thewife:

Hey, we had a cooler with beer and a camper, what more did we need?
 :evil:
Good judgement comes from experience.
And experience. That comes from poor judgement.

bpreynolds

  • Guest
Re: Worst Gas Mileage ?
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2016, 04:37:10 PM »
Some Calis I've owned dipped into the lower 30s but did better overall on average than the 2011 Stelvio I owned for a while which would consistently get somewhere in the neighborhood of 34 everywhere.

Worst?  Ducati GT1000 I used to own was getting low 30s and then a couple times dipped down into the upper 20s, but I'm certain it was running rich as the local dealer overcompensated when they adjusted for when the bike was running too lean prior. 

Offline TheBob

  • Hatchling
  • **
  • Posts: 86
Re: Worst Gas Mileage ?
« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2016, 08:22:53 PM »
Usually about 40 on my '08 Norge. Less on my 'busa. Haven't figured out why so bad on the 'busa.
Never ruin an apology with an excuse.

08 Norge

 

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here