New Moto Guzzi Door Mats Available Now
I've worked with ultrasonics of many types (horns, welders, cleaner baths, etc). I saw instances of items destroyed where items made of disparate materials were run too long in a bath ultrasonic. The most dramatic were some particle sizing sieves that were brass hoops with soldered-in stainless steel mesh screens. The combination of materials reacting differently to the vibrations had them completely come apart (and rather quickly).... Anyway, I thought I'd mention it so that if you're unaware of this potential, it might save some grief. Certain carb floats come to mind, for instance. They're like magic for many chores, though.
I made a COB one out of a plastic peanut butter jar and a palm sander...not really ultasonic but it works. I also use a little lemon juice in the mix. Someday I'll buy a real one....
I have had a commercial grade ultrasonic cleaner for years now but rarely use it anymore. I end up using my solvent tank most of the time and find it just as effective. Just takes longer. Ultrasonic cleaners will etch metal and can do damage if the part is left in too long. Just keep checking every ten minutes or so to make sure its not getting damaged. Pete
Sounds like the one from Ichiban Moto: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1DtY2VwSyY
I use either a degreaser or Simple Geen HD (the purple stuff). Never use the green stuff on aluminum.
Moto, I get the solvent cleaner at Tractor Supply. They also have a water based one but I guess I am old school.Pete
Why not the green on Al?
I picked up a large Harbor Freight model. Anyone have a review before I take it out of the box or take it back?
This one? http://www.harborfreight.com/25-liter-ultrasonic-cleaner-95563.htmlI have one and it does a great job, but is a bit limited on size of course. Some carb bodies will stick up out of the solution, so must be turned to clean completely. I'll put the small bits in that one and the bodies in my larger 5 liter one. Otherwise, it works well. Maximum time you can set it for is 480 seconds, heat works well. Relatively quiet.
As someone who works with ultrasonics and much higher frequency megasonics, I would say it's important to understand what they really do and that is to enhance chemical reactivity; in some cases by several orders of magnitude. While it's true that cavitation events can blow holes in tin foil, they have little effect on metal parts that are more substantial. What can do damage is the chemical reaction between the liquid and the part when enhanced by ultrasonics.What that really means is that you need to understand what it is that your cleaning and the solution you're using. You may be able to soak a carb overnight using x solution but you may get the same result in 10 or 15 minutes in an ultrasonic and if the solution has the ability to attack the metal, you could well damage it.What this means is that you want a chemical that will attack whatever it is that you want to remove but not react with the metal that your part is made from. If you do that, the ultrasonic won't damage it assuming that it's not super thin or delicate. That is why I would tend to recommend solutions made for carb cleaning over a general chemical like simple green or something along those lines and make sure it's compatible with aluminum or whatever material your carb is made from.