Author Topic: Down with Pillion Pegs!  (Read 3225 times)

Bill Hagan

  • Guest
Down with Pillion Pegs!
« on: December 23, 2016, 03:01:23 PM »


Lou, a non-riding friend, likes to send me motorcycle-themed things he sees on the web.  He's not one of those "friends" who regale riders with gory tales of how dangerous bike are, and he has his own toys and vices.

He sent this today.



Had not seen before, and searched here before posting. Apologies if a repeat.

I almost always ride with mine down. 

I do that because I try to remember every time I ride to “bring someone I loved along,” even tho they are no longer among the living.  My Dad (1918-1999) rides with me lots, and I took Todd Haven to the W.V. rally in Pipestem this past fall.

Occasionally, I bring the living, too.  For example, I often bring Mom with me, as she loved motorcycles when young — her dad gave her rides in the 1930’s on his (German-built) Triumph.

I posted about this before, but she remembers — OK, she used to remember; sigh — falling off her dad’s motorcycle somewhere between Wurmlingen and Singen c.1936.  Her dad didn’t notice for awhile (Mom must have been a slip of a thing!), but eventually came back to retrieve her.  He was understandably scared, but Mom said she thought it a great adventure.

On her 80th, I gave Mom a ride on my EV. 





She’s 96 now, with advanced dementia, but I can pretend she’s on the Norge or EV when I am on road trips.  :laugh:

Bill

Offline twhitaker

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 8323
Re: Down with Pillion Pegs!
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2016, 03:10:04 PM »
Took my aunt for a ride when she was 90. Said she hadn't been on one in over 50 years.  :thumb:



'96 California 1100i 160,000 mi
'97 Centauro yellow 25,000 mi
'02 Champagne V11 LeMans 58,000 mi
MGNOC-11168
Dayton, OH

Offline rodekyll

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 21218
  • Not my real name
Re: Down with Pillion Pegs!
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2016, 03:47:44 PM »
When I was in Alaska I turned south and tipped a glass for Commie Nick, Panhead, dilligaf, Todd, JN, Bob Nolan, and all the others who's experiences and character have made my adventures better.   May they be at the campfire and in the wind forever.   :angel:

It's that time of year again, but this time I don't know which direction to turn, so I'll do a circle.  Here's to the folks and our friends who have ridden on ahead . . .   :bow: :boozing: :bow: :thumb:

Offline SmithSwede

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 2191
  • I don't want a pickle
  • Location: Dallas, Texas
Re: Down with Pillion Pegs!
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2016, 08:41:22 PM »
I had never thought about having footpegs down for this particular reason, although I admit various dead people seem to journey with me at times.

What a fantastic thread!  Thanks for sharing.
Accentuate the positive;
Eliminate the negative;
Latch on to the affirmative;
Don't mess with Mister In-Between.

Offline John A

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 5420
  • No way to slow down...
  • Location: Hager city ,western WI
Re: Down with Pillion Pegs!
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2016, 09:48:56 AM »
Just don't let a toe get momentarily stuck in the ground and have the pillion peg hit the back of your leg. Hurts, sometimes breaks things, most common when I don't have a passenger to remind me.
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Offline webmost

  • Gaggle Mentor
  • ****
  • Posts: 410
  • Safety Third
    • The Sotweed Factor
  • Location: Newark, Delaware
Re: Down with Pillion Pegs!
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2016, 02:32:53 PM »
You can always take the peg off. The bracket makes a fine place to mount a surplused first aid box. Fits right under the WalMart ATV saddlebag. Holds your Slime air pump kit just right. Nice and weatherproof. Now all you needs is an appropriate inspiring message on a sticker over your red cross, and you're good to go.



Unmitigated risk aversion is the new Puritanism; complete with witch hunts funny outfits and humorless preachers thundering doom. The Deity is Safety; Satan is a Lawyer; but the object is the same: to suck the life out of life and tell you how to live it.

Offline Sheepdog

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 5575
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
  • Location: Waldheim, Louisiana. USA
Re: Down with Pillion Pegs!
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2016, 08:40:14 AM »
The pegs on my Vintage are always down. They make a great alternate footrest for those long days in the saddle...
"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

Offline Lannis

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 26504
  • Location: Central Virginia
Re: Down with Pillion Pegs!
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2016, 08:47:15 AM »
The pegs on my Vintage are always down. They make a great alternate footrest for those long days in the saddle...

On my Stelvio and Triumph and SP, the regular pegs are already in the right place for maximum comfort so I don't use the passenger pegs - on the BSAs and the Norton, the pegs are far enough forward so that the passenger pegs are a short-term alt.-foot-rest.

I've had two bikes where you HAD TO remember to raise the rear peg or the kickstart would bang to a stop against it.   Talk about wanting to tie a string around your finger to remember - that was painful when you forgot!

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline charlie b

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 6941
Re: Down with Pillion Pegs!
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2016, 11:00:42 AM »
Removed mine.  That's where the ammo box mounts were bolted.  :)
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Offline Lannis

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 26504
  • Location: Central Virginia
Re: Down with Pillion Pegs!
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2016, 02:30:47 PM »
Removed mine.  That's where the ammo box mounts were bolted.  :)

But what do you do when you have a pretty girl on the back who really really wants a ride?

What are you going to do, say "No, this motorcycle is not equipped for that, so sod off!"   

I'll be waiting .....

Lanns
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline davedel44

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 1445
  • Location: Galveston Island, near the coast of Texas
Re: Down with Pillion Pegs!
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2016, 03:10:02 PM »
Bill,

I have a long personal tradition of honoring those I call the Saints.   You know the ones that'll go marchin' in.  People that I have loved and admired that have passed before me.  I often say a little prayer for them, tell some funny stories about them , seek their advice and comfort or just sit quietly and relish fond memories and feel the love they shared.

I rode pegs down with my brother yesterday.

Thanks for sharing another way to honor those who have passed on.

God Bless Texas and....
God Bless Todd Haven and...
God Bless the kind-hearted Bill Hagen

Dave
Galveston 
Bambino- 2013 V7 Stone

Offline charlie b

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 6941
Re: Down with Pillion Pegs!
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2016, 03:21:23 PM »
But what do you do when you have a pretty girl on the back who really really wants a ride?

What are you going to do, say "No, this motorcycle is not equipped for that, so sod off!"   

I'll be waiting .....

Lanns

Well, that's kinda what I'd have to say cause there wasn't a back seat, just the solo.  I decided when in my early 20's that I'd never ride with a passenger so all my bikes have had solo seats.
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Penderic

  • Guest
Re: Down with Pillion Pegs!
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2016, 04:32:13 PM »
Use a rope too, just in case!


 :azn:

 

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here