Author Topic: School me on the Moto Guzzi Stelvio 1200  (Read 10946 times)

Offline DucDucGuzz

  • Part 3
  • Hatchling
  • **
  • Posts: 35
  • Location: Bay Area CA
School me on the Moto Guzzi Stelvio 1200
« on: March 20, 2017, 11:23:34 AM »
So, after a concussion and a fractured elbow (in two places at that), and three days off from the job, my beloved '07 Multistrada 1100S is likely totaled. I'm going through the process of insurance compensation at the moment. In the meantime, I'm considering a few machines to replace the Ducati - the top two being a Suzuki V Strom 1000 (2014-2016) and the 2015 Triumph Tiger 800 XR or XC.

But... I've always been intrigued by the Stelvio 1200. Can you help shed some light on why I should (or shouldn't) include the big Guzzi on my short list? I could be considering the '09-up Stelvio.

Few things about me: I'm not tall (5'9). I've been riding about 30 years now... last crash was 15 years ago on the track. Still an avid rider w/ occasional track days thrown in. Love to take my wife on 2-up rides for weekend getaways. Not many heavy dirt rides under my belt, nor do I plan on any in the future which would include much dual-sport type terrain (just the occasional fire roads and gravel). Have not owned a Japanese bike in 18 years.

Thanks in advance.

Rick
'20 MG V7 Stone S/‘20 MG V85TT/'12 Ducati SF848/'07 Ducati Monster S4RS

Offline Demar

  • Hooper drives the boat Chief.
  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 1125
  • There's someone in my head but it's not me.
  • Location: Bay Area, CA
Re: School me on the Moto Guzzi Stelvio 1200
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2017, 11:42:22 AM »
It's a great bike if that's your style. Go here... 1100 pages of info.   http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/moto-guzzi-stelvio-merged-threadfest.113158/page-1183

One big issue is the early 2012 bikes have an engine issue regarding their flat tappets that need to be replaced (about $1000). Some 2012 bikes have the roller version and don't have a problem. All 2013 and later bikes do not have the flat tappets. Search here and in the ADV thread.
I'd much rather ask for forgiveness than ask for permission.

2012 MG Stelvio NTX
2010 Bonneville T100
1953 Galletto 175

Offline Joliet Jim

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 6249
  • Justus Esto, Et Non Metue
Re: School me on the Moto Guzzi Stelvio 1200
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2017, 11:44:19 AM »
It's a tall bike, I'm 6' and have trouble throwing a leg over without getting bruises. Last year i believe they will be made. That said if i rode more I'd have one a 2013 or later. :)
1975 T160 Triumph Trident "Spot"
2002 Cali Stone "Moby Dick"
2003 Buell Blast "Pegasus"
Just memories
The Psycho Chicken
The Fire Demon
Thumper

Offline toma nova

  • Gaggle Mentor
  • ****
  • Posts: 323
  • Location: Houston, USA
Re: School me on the Moto Guzzi Stelvio 1200
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2017, 12:20:49 PM »
I love the Wee-Strom (have had two) but the Stelvio has as much character as the Stroms have uglies.

No off road pretensions for me so I put PR4s on and it makes an incredible ST mount.  Tons of room, good weather protection if you can sort out the screen, and great passenger and cargo capacities.

Research roller tappets and get a newer one with factory rollers or a slightly older one with a documented conversion.

My avatar is on the stock 90/10 tires - no chicken strips while sitting comfortably upright, passing 600s in the corners!

The Stelvio won't have the performance of your Multi but should offer more room, way more range, and the cylinders are arranged correctly!

Tom
2014 Stelvio NTX
2008 1200 Sport - sold

Offline ChuckH

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 1520
Re: School me on the Moto Guzzi Stelvio 1200
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2017, 12:40:04 PM »
I'm 5'10.5" and could flat foot my '12 when loaded for the road (80# of gear on the passenger seat and in the rear cases).  The bike is a bit heavy, 640# wet with the rear cases mounted but empty.

I used a Laminar Lip with the stock windshield for adequate protection.  The bike is a very good long distance tourer, not so happy in a city environment.

I ride solo so have no experience with two-up riding.  However, I've read many comments from couples riding two-up very comfortably on the Stelvio.
Essential to the pursuit of happiness is knowing when you've caught it.
Life's what happens while you're making other plans.
I always knew I'd get old.  How fast it happened was a bit of a surprise, though.

'08 Chevy Corvette (non-Stealth, Bright Red)

Offline Xlratr

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 858
  • (ex) Stelvio NTX, '78 Honda 750F2, '97 FXDWG
  • Location: near Hamburg, Germany
Re: School me on the Moto Guzzi Stelvio 1200
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2017, 12:48:18 PM »
Fantastic tourer, great handling, easy maintenance, huge tank, shaft drive, well built, style and soul! Not massively powerful, but I've never really wanted more performance than it has.
Get a 2013 or newer and you'll have no problems.
They don't make them anymore so I grabbed one of the last here in Germany a few months back. My second Stelvio, so that probably says something. :-)


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
John

I ain't too young to realize, that I ain't too old to try ...

twowings

  • Guest
Re: School me on the Moto Guzzi Stelvio 1200
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2017, 12:51:29 PM »
there were @ 32 of them at the MGNOC National last year...didn't hear a single complaint...not even from the vertically-challenged...32L of fuel and luggage WOULD be a handful on a muddy incline, though...I want one but have to pay off the Norge first or face certain slow death Osage-style... :thewife:

Offline DucDucGuzz

  • Part 3
  • Hatchling
  • **
  • Posts: 35
  • Location: Bay Area CA
Re: School me on the Moto Guzzi Stelvio 1200
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2017, 12:52:16 PM »
Thanks guys. The particular bike I was looking at had the flat tappets replaced, but not to the newer roller tappets (?) - don't know why. Depending on the cost of this conversion, I may lean toward a less maintenance-intensive machine. The '14-'16 V Strom 1K is hovering at the top of my list, but the Stelvio being Guzzi, Italian, and having shaft drive is still fighting for space. It's a VERY handsome machine!

I'll keep you posted. I will likely be off the bikes for another couple weeks or so as my busted elbow heals (and my shoulder is killing me too!). But the scary thing for me was the concussion. That head trauma thing is no joke. In the meantime, my mobile CL app is blowing up!
'20 MG V7 Stone S/‘20 MG V85TT/'12 Ducati SF848/'07 Ducati Monster S4RS

Offline twtex85

  • New Egg
  • *
  • Posts: 14
Re: School me on the Moto Guzzi Stelvio 1200
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2017, 12:59:05 PM »
The Stelvio is a great bike that gets overlooked all the time.  I am only about 5'8 with a 30 " inseam and although I am on my tiptoes at stops it is not hard to manage.  I second what most people here have to say. I had a 2010 GS that I traded for it and the bikes are really similar in the way they handle and the power they produce.  The Stelvio to me is much more compact feeling than the GS and the bonus is that it is really easy to do the required maintenance at home with regular tools.  Another bonus is that you can pick them up for much less than the BMW. I would recommend a 2013 or later due to the flat tappet issue but 2013-2016 are all the same bike with no changes. 

twowings

  • Guest
Re: School me on the Moto Guzzi Stelvio 1200
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2017, 01:04:18 PM »
Don't know your budget, but definitely shop around on CycleTrader and ADVRider.com Flea Market...you should be able to get a new 2013 or later for a very reasonable price as dealers want to move them due to discontinuation...H TH

Offline Xlratr

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 858
  • (ex) Stelvio NTX, '78 Honda 750F2, '97 FXDWG
  • Location: near Hamburg, Germany
Re: School me on the Moto Guzzi Stelvio 1200
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2017, 02:12:28 PM »
I may lean toward a less maintenance-intensive machine.

IMHO, it would be hard to find a less maintenance intensive machine. Really, it's a breeze to work on!
Just get a 2013 or newer and you're golden. You should be able to get one for a very reasonable price looking at the cost of new ones in the States!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
John

I ain't too young to realize, that I ain't too old to try ...

Offline DucDucGuzz

  • Part 3
  • Hatchling
  • **
  • Posts: 35
  • Location: Bay Area CA
Re: School me on the Moto Guzzi Stelvio 1200
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2017, 02:45:47 PM »
OK... 2013-up is the target. The previous 4.6 gallon tank (vs. 8.5 on the later bikes) was a definite no go.

 :bow: :thumb:
'20 MG V7 Stone S/‘20 MG V85TT/'12 Ducati SF848/'07 Ducati Monster S4RS

pete roper

  • Guest
Re: School me on the Moto Guzzi Stelvio 1200
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2017, 02:47:13 PM »
Thanks guys. The particular bike I was looking at had the flat tappets replaced, but not to the newer roller tappets (?) - don't know why. Depending on the cost of this conversion, I may lean toward a less maintenance-intensive machine. The '14-'16 V Strom 1K is hovering at the top of my list, but the Stelvio being Guzzi, Italian, and having shaft drive is still fighting for space. It's a VERY handsome machine!

I'll keep you posted. I will likely be off the bikes for another couple weeks or so as my busted elbow heals (and my shoulder is killing me too!). But the scary thing for me was the concussion. That head trauma thing is no joke. In the meantime, my mobile CL app is blowing up!

In this case it must be a very early model. The engines originally had chilled cast iron tappets that failed, in an attempt to fix this cheaply the factory experimented with forged steel tappets with a 'Diamond Like Carbon, (DLC) coating on them but this too was an abject failure. The sorry saga of their disingenuous treatment of their customers over this is long and harrowing and is covered in multiple threads so I won't repeat it here but the final cure was the adoption of the roller tappet top end that I personally believe the engine was designed to have from the get-go but suspect the engineers were over-ruled by the bean counters leading to the whole sorry fiasco.

If the bike you are looking at is a 2009 which has been modified to another set of flat tappets it will be the original swap from iron to DLC coated steel and will still of been destroying itself. Also as an early model it won't have the big 32 litre tank, only the much smaller (17 litre?) original version. It will also, if a pre NTX model, have the crack prone, (Only if butchered by the ham fisted!) castings on the bottom of the forks, (Which are NLA as well.).

There is nothing to prevent any flat tappet model being an excellent bike as long as it is converted to roller tappets ASAP and the damage to the flats hasn't been too extreme. Best bet though is to go for a 2013 or newer machine as these are all roller motors ex factory as well as having the benefits of ABS and TC if those features are useful for you.

Pete

Offline Darren Williams

  • Finally got me a Griso!
  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 1085
  • Life is too short to go slow!
  • Location: Oklahoma
Re: School me on the Moto Guzzi Stelvio 1200
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2017, 04:48:31 PM »
I prefer bikes that I can easily do the maintenance, although I do have a few that are a bit difficult. The '13 NTX I had fit the bill very well. As with any bike, there are a few common things you need done, or the PO did, but none are that tough or too costly.

The bike had a lot of features that made it a great value over the competition. While I've got a bit of experience with the Strom's ( the Wee was my favorite of the two but I don't ride two up) they didn't hold a candle to the pleasure I got from riding the Stelvio. I loved the CARC bikes and it was the best for traveling. Only problem is it wasn't deer proof!  :boozing:

A GS will have a few more gadgets, but cost a lot more, parts will cost a lot more, and there are more things to go wrong/fail. If you're into the comfort of Adventure Touring bikes (for mostly paved roads) and want to go European, the Stelvio NTX should be at or near the top of your list.
The best part of riding a motorcycle is to tilt the horizon and to lift the front coming out of a corner and to drift the back end powering thru loose dirt and to catch a little air topping a hill and... yeah it's all good!

Offline Chuck in Indiana

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • Posts: 29700
Re: School me on the Moto Guzzi Stelvio 1200
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2017, 05:13:06 PM »
Quote
A GS will have a few more gadgets, but cost a lot more, parts will cost a lot more, and there are more things to go wrong/fail. If you're into the comfort of Adventure Touring bikes (for mostly paved roads) and want to go European, the Stelvio NTX should be at or near the top of your list.

As far as I'm concerned, this pretty much says it all. The Stelvio Is *the* adventure bike for the informed..
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal
 
87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
26 Triumph trident 800
"Social media made y'all way too comfortable with disrespecting people and not getting punched in the face for it."

Mike Tyson

Offline brenwin

  • Easy does it .
  • Gosling
  • ***
  • Posts: 217
  • Location: West coast
Re: School me on the Moto Guzzi Stelvio 1200
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2017, 05:30:59 PM »
I sold my 012 which was a later model and had the roller tappets . I loved the ride and once under way that 600 lbs disappeared pretty quick as the bike handled beautifully .
Unfortunately it was one of those bikes that never quit having problems . Several things to do right out of the gate like fuse the auxiliary lights , replace the stock mirrors as they vibrate till broken . Then the regulator kept going leaving me on the side of the road . This happened 3 times , once 60 miles from Seattle on the way to that rally in Oregon that was mentioned earlier.
No one seemed to have the answer for the fix , maybe a new wiring harness and all relays might have solved the problem although all was checked several times with nothing found .
Anyway , after many trips to the dealer and lots of suggestions on this site the bike still did it .
If your handy with a wrench and can work on these bikes probably not a bad choice otherwise good luck . One of the reasons these bikes are cheaper and don't hold their value is because they are made by Piaggio but I'm sure you know that already .
One for sale here on the lower mainland , an 013 with 860 kms for under 10 grand Canadian and on Craigs list Vancouver . Basically a brand new bike and a terrific price .
I'm still tempted because I really loved the ride but once bit twice shy !
 
2015 Griso 1200SE
2004 V11 Ballabio (red)
1973 Eldorado

Offline r6ymy

  • New Egg
  • *
  • Posts: 8
  • Location: Oxfordshire, UK
Re: School me on the Moto Guzzi Stelvio 1200
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2017, 05:56:55 PM »
Have you also considered an Aprlia Caponord? The road version, not the rally. I'm 5'7" and didn't find it too tall. In the UK there were some really good close-out deals to clear stock out as it doesn't meet the new Euro 4 emission regs.

Offline Porterhouse

  • GRiSO / Stelvio - A One and-a Two
  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 913
  • GRiSO, he speaks to you, no?
    • the GRiSO ghetto
  • Location: Lago di Moses, WA - USA
Re: School me on the Moto Guzzi Stelvio 1200
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2017, 11:10:07 PM »
No one should be able to talk you in to or out of a particular motorcycle.  Go ride one.  If you like it, buy it.


GRiSOghetto - all GRiSO, all the time...  |  Life ain't easy for a boy named Sue - RIP my best friend...

Offline DucDucGuzz

  • Part 3
  • Hatchling
  • **
  • Posts: 35
  • Location: Bay Area CA
Re: School me on the Moto Guzzi Stelvio 1200
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2017, 11:11:33 AM »
No one should be able to talk you in to or out of a particular motorcycle.  Go ride one.  If you like it, buy it.

You're right. But hearing testimonial from owners/previous owners helps with the decision. I'm also looking at the V Strom in the same way. I intend to visit local dealers see both bikes in person.
'20 MG V7 Stone S/‘20 MG V85TT/'12 Ducati SF848/'07 Ducati Monster S4RS

twowings

  • Guest
Re: School me on the Moto Guzzi Stelvio 1200
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2017, 12:22:53 PM »
Here's some handy Stelvio Tips 'n' Tricks to pass the time while you dream:

https://stelviontx.blogspot.com/

Offline kenvil1

  • Gosling
  • ***
  • Posts: 248
  • Location: Eastern Ontario, Canada
Re: School me on the Moto Guzzi Stelvio 1200
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2017, 02:48:19 PM »
I too was interested in the V-Strom 1000, but as soon as I sat on one I was immediately put off by how much my knees were splayed by the wide tank. All the glowing motorcycle reviews meant nothing to me afterwards. The new Wee, on the other hand, was a perfect fit.

Offline kirb

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 1215
Re: School me on the Moto Guzzi Stelvio 1200
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2017, 08:42:50 AM »
Here's some handy Stelvio Tips 'n' Tricks to pass the time while you dream:

https://stelviontx.blogspot.com/

My blog page above is a continuous modified page of things I have done or am doing to the bike. Nearly 70,000 page views to date! Fog lamp fuses seems to be the most popular page.

I still have my '13 and it is my go-to touring rig.  There isn't much to do to the bike. Fog light fuses, euro turn signals, run over the fasteners at oil changes, download Guzzidiag so that you can reset the TPS during a throttle body balance, etc. I had an air cooled Buell once that was easier to service, but that's it. This is one of the easiest bikes to own. The bike will seem heavier than your multi (cause it is), but it shines in a lot of other ways.

I sell fog light fuse kits, rear racks, and tool tubes to AF1 racing. The links are in the blog page.

 


NEW WILDGUZZI PRODUCT - Moto Guzzi Door Mat
Receive donation credit with door mat purchase!
Advertise Here