Author Topic: LM3 Front Brake Master Cylinder Rebuild?  (Read 1619 times)

Offline Vince in Milwaukee

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 3677
  • Location: Kenosha, WI
LM3 Front Brake Master Cylinder Rebuild?
« on: March 28, 2018, 03:09:33 PM »
From best I can tell, my front brake master cylinder is leaking.  Where exactly it's coming from has me stumped.  After a bit of riding, say 10 miles or so, there are small spots of brake fluid on the right side of my gas tank.  I was just out in the garage and cleaned everything up in that area.  I then took some toilet paper and tried various locations to see if I could get fluid on it.  No luck.  Any advice / help most appreciated.  Oh yeah, it's the round, 12mm one.   
1984 Moto Guzzi 850 LeMans III, 1986 California II
Gone but not forgotten:
1969 Moto Guzzi Ambo, 1994 BMW K75RTw/ABS, 1996 BMW R1100RT, and 1993 BMW K75

Offline dxhall

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • Posts: 1267
Re: LM3 Front Brake Master Cylinder Rebuild?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2018, 04:17:10 PM »
I would look for a break in the hose, particularly at the crimp.  Then I would look for a leaking seal at the caliper.  You can probably get new seals from Powerhouse in the U.K.  They advertise on eBay.

Offline RinkRat II

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 2294
  • Lake Powell AZ
Re: LM3 Front Brake Master Cylinder Rebuild?
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2018, 04:22:51 PM »

  It won't be pretty but spritz it down with baby powder and it'll show up.

       Paul B :boozing:
A Miller in the hand is worth two in the fridge.

Online rodekyll

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 21218
  • Not my real name
Re: LM3 Front Brake Master Cylinder Rebuild?
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2018, 06:25:49 PM »
It might be coming from the rear seal on the piston.  Pull the boot back and see if it's damp in there.  I got struck with firewood once and it loosened a brake banjo.  I thought it was a broken line, but tightening the banjo stopped the leak.  You might get that lucky.

Offline Diploman

  • "The future just ain't what it used to be." Yogi
  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 504
  • Location: Murrysville PA
Re: LM3 Front Brake Master Cylinder Rebuild?
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2018, 06:45:45 PM »
You can easily rebuild the MC with this Brembo kit:

http://www.mgcycle.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=110_112&products_id=754

Better yet, you can bring your front brake up to date with a new 12mm Brembo MC with integral reservoir and brake switch built in.

http://www.mgcycle.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=110_112&products_id=1037
« Last Edit: March 28, 2018, 06:48:41 PM by Diploman »
1980 V50 II, lightly cafe'd, much modernized
1983 SP 1000 NT (Under Upgrade/Modification)
2015 KTM 390 Duke

Offline dxhall

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • Posts: 1267
Re: LM3 Front Brake Master Cylinder Rebuild?
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2018, 07:13:31 PM »
I am surprised that a Brembo rebuild kit is available in the US.  I have read several times that Brembo will not sell kits here because they fear that a backyard guy will install one wrongly, crash, and sue them.   

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 15172
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
  • Location: Rohrersville, Maryland
Re: LM3 Front Brake Master Cylinder Rebuild?
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2018, 07:32:45 PM »
I am surprised that a Brembo rebuild kit is available in the US.  I have read several times that Brembo will not sell kits here because they fear that a backyard guy will install one wrongly, crash, and sue them.

That seems to be true for the later ('98 on?) stuff. "Classic" stuff seems to be in good supply.
Charlie


NEW WILDGUZZI PRODUCT - Moto Guzzi Door Mat
Receive donation credit with door mat purchase!
Advertise Here
 


NEW WILDGUZZI PRODUCT - Moto Guzzi Door Mat
Receive donation credit with door mat purchase!
Advertise Here