Author Topic: SP with stripped spark plug  (Read 3768 times)

Offline HarveyMushman

  • Gaggle Mentor
  • ****
  • Posts: 348
    • Photo Galleries
  • Location: Virginia, USA
SP with stripped spark plug
« on: August 23, 2018, 05:16:31 PM »
What's the favorite method for repairing a stripped spark plug?  I can thread it finger tight but no more, and it doesn't stay put when I hit the starter button . . . 

I assume I should pull the head before re-threading, but maybe not? 
Tim

Online Frenchfrog

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 936
Re: SP with stripped spark plug
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2018, 05:28:28 PM »
I've had helicoils fitted very sucessfully.Head off and take it to the best local machinist is what I'd do.Timesert may be better.

Offline guzzisteve

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 13017
  • "Just Ride It"
Re: SP with stripped spark plug
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2018, 05:49:17 PM »
Pull the head, get correct length TimeSert, use red LokTite.
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"
Location: Planet Earth

Offline HarveyMushman

  • Gaggle Mentor
  • ****
  • Posts: 348
    • Photo Galleries
  • Location: Virginia, USA
Re: SP with stripped spark plug
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2018, 06:19:53 PM »
Thank you both.
Tim

Offline Idontwantapickle

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • Posts: 1683
  • The rotation of the earth really makes my day.
  • Location: Closer than farther away
Re: SP with stripped spark plug
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2018, 07:39:38 PM »
A skilled mechanic can Timesert it with the head on the engine. Best fix there is.
There is no end to what we can do together.
Sir James Paul McCartney

AMA Charter Life Member

72 Eldo
85 LeMans 1000 Loud, Fast and Red
2007 Norge rivestimento di argento
84 BMW R100RS

Offline Jurgen

  • Gosling
  • ***
  • Posts: 138
Re: SP with stripped spark plug
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2018, 04:25:38 PM »
With TimeSerts you don't even need Locktite.  Use them on all the old Porsches.

Jurgen
Jurgen

Offline Idontwantapickle

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • Posts: 1683
  • The rotation of the earth really makes my day.
  • Location: Closer than farther away
Re: SP with stripped spark plug
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2018, 05:42:24 PM »
With TimeSerts you don't even need Locktite.  Use them on all the old Porsches.

Jurgen

A friend that has restored some Porsches told me that it was standard practice to timesert almost every threaded hole in the engine. Decreases the drama when servicing knowing all the threads are steel.
There is no end to what we can do together.
Sir James Paul McCartney

AMA Charter Life Member

72 Eldo
85 LeMans 1000 Loud, Fast and Red
2007 Norge rivestimento di argento
84 BMW R100RS

Offline HarveyMushman

  • Gaggle Mentor
  • ****
  • Posts: 348
    • Photo Galleries
  • Location: Virginia, USA
Re: SP with stripped spark plug
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2018, 07:26:44 PM »
TimeSert ordered, might be here tomorrow.  Trying to decide between doing it myself and finding a mechanic/machinist to do it.  Seems simple enough . . .
Tim

Offline John A

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 5419
  • No way to slow down...
  • Location: Hager city ,western WI
Re: SP with stripped spark plug
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2018, 07:39:36 PM »
If you do it with the head installed, use sticky grease on the drill and tap, clean chips off often.
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Offline bigbikerrick

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 6077
  • 73 Eldo, 98 V 11 ,12 Ural Gear Up, 76 Convert,
  • Location: Southeastern corner of Arizona, right next to "Old Mexico, and New Mexico"
Re: SP with stripped spark plug
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2018, 10:25:31 PM »
Its so darn easy to pull a head on a Guzzi, that to me ,its not worth the risk of doing it with the head in situ. chips down in the cylinder, will risk scratching up a perfectly good cylinder wall.
Rick.
"You meet the most interesting people on a Guzzi"

Moto

  • Guest
Re: SP with stripped spark plug
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2018, 11:27:34 PM »
I've done a TimeSert myself on a transmission drain plug, and imagine the spark plug hole would be as easy (though deeper). But I would be taking the head off -- it's dead easy to do, and there's no easy fix up if you ruin the cylinder wall with swarf.

I waffled around for a while imagining that I would have a mechanic do the drain plug, only to kick myself when I got it done and realized how simple it was.

Moto

P.S. I did the drain plug without removing and disassembling the transmission, of course, but the cost-benefit calculation is different with the cylinder head.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2018, 11:57:11 PM by Moto »

Offline John A

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 5419
  • No way to slow down...
  • Location: Hager city ,western WI
Re: SP with stripped spark plug
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2018, 05:22:33 AM »
My concern with doing it in place would be the errant chip sticking on an exhaust valve seat face. On the side of doing it in situ it's a good way to hold the head still. I've done it successfully both ways, each has pluses and minuses
« Last Edit: August 26, 2018, 05:31:52 AM by John A »
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Offline Zoom Zoom

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 10517
Re: SP with stripped spark plug
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2018, 06:17:17 AM »
A number of years ago I had a riding mower worked on by what I thought to be a reputable shop in my area. They stripped the spark plug, which blew out shortly after starting to cut the grass. Went back and the bird brain did what has been suggested above with the head still on the motor. As I watched on, I questioned his method. He said the same thing about the metal chips getting caught by the grease and a ball of tape he put in there. The next time the engine quit, I pulled the head to see 1/3 of the circumference of the piston missing down to the inner edge of the top ring. That didn't take long and the cylinder wall was scored bad as well.

Do yourself a favor and TAKE THE HEAD OFF! It will be better in the long run.

John Henry

Offline Rick in WNY

  • Gaggle Mentor
  • ****
  • Posts: 387
  • Location: NY Finger Lakes
Re: SP with stripped spark plug
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2018, 06:26:35 AM »
Listen to Zoom Zoom, I can't recall him ever steering anyone wrong.

Besides that, I agree with him. Guzzi heads area easy to remove, so save yourself the trouble down the road.
Guzzi Owner since May 20, 2017
  2004 California Titanium

Offline John A

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 5419
  • No way to slow down...
  • Location: Hager city ,western WI
Re: SP with stripped spark plug
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2018, 08:57:46 AM »
If you are at all unsure defiantly pull the head. There be dragons in there. If I do it in place I'll use a bore scope to snoop around after and if I'm not satisfied all the chips are out, I'd then pull the head but by being carefully diligent I've never had to.
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Offline HarveyMushman

  • Gaggle Mentor
  • ****
  • Posts: 348
    • Photo Galleries
  • Location: Virginia, USA
Re: SP with stripped spark plug
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2018, 04:11:54 PM »
I bought a Time-Sert kit and pulled the head.  The problem then becomes holding the head still enough to use the Time-Sert.  So I put the head back on the studs to hold it still, which worked well.  After I finished with the plug business I pulled the head off again and vacuumed the debris off the top of the piston.  Glad I didn't try to do it with the head in situ . . . 

Question:  What are the piston and valves supposed to look like?  How black is too black? 



Note: This engine doesn't run.  I had to fix the plug to resume efforts to get it running after several years of storage.  It didn't run before storage either. 



« Last Edit: September 03, 2018, 04:13:14 PM by HarveyMushman »
Tim

Online rodekyll

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 21218
  • Not my real name
Re: SP with stripped spark plug
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2018, 04:42:39 PM »
That part of the valves Don't matter as much as the part that contacts the seats and the stem/end of stem.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here
 

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here