Author Topic: Changing timing gears in a 850 T  (Read 1458 times)

Offline Woodrow

  • Hatchling
  • **
  • Posts: 33
Changing timing gears in a 850 T
« on: September 16, 2019, 09:19:11 AM »
I hope someone can advise .  Im changing the aluminum timing gears out of a 850T and replacing them with a original chain and sprockets .

  I have the oil pump gear off,, and the crank gear nut off,, also the  timing gear nut off .  I have the timing marks lined up on the crank gear and timing gear .   

    Im hoping that if I install the chain and sprockets with the timing marks correct ,  all should be good .  Right ?
   
   Do I need to back the spring pressure off the cam by backing off the rocker arms ?   I am nervous that the cam will turn when I pull off the cam gear .   Do i need to be nervous ?

   Thats it.  I think a cleanout of oil sump and a oil flush should do the job .   

Woodrow

Offline guzzisteve

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 13017
  • "Just Ride It"
Re: Changing timing gears in a 850 T
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2019, 10:07:13 AM »
Yes, be safe, only do it once. Pull rockers. AND keep an eye on shaft movement if it has curved gears or pull as a group. When you get done w/chain placement check w/degree plate on crank.
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"
Location: Planet Earth

pete roper

  • Guest
Re: Changing timing gears in a 850 T
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2019, 01:58:00 AM »
If the left pot is set up at TDC compression the timing marks on the sprockets should align and the cam won't move.

Pete

Offline jacksonracingcomau

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 2398
Re: Changing timing gears in a 850 T
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2019, 02:56:12 AM »
If gears are straight cut and marked A.D. i’d.like to buy if poss. Pm me


NEW WILDGUZZI PRODUCT - Moto Guzzi Door Mat
Receive donation credit with door mat purchase!
Advertise Here
 

Check out the official Wildguzzi Amazon Affiliate Storefront.
Proceeds go back into the forum.
If you need to buy it anyway, use the affiliate link to help the forum.
Advertise Here