Author Topic: V7 III Racer 10th anniversary  (Read 4067 times)

Offline kirkemon

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 792
V7 III Racer 10th anniversary
« on: November 06, 2019, 10:09:33 PM »
Looks very nice, but I guess only cosmetic, no performance (hp) upgrades.
https://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/new-bikes/2020-moto-guzzi-v7-updates/
Kirk

Offline Roebling3

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 1497
  • Location: MA
Re: V7 III Racer 10th anniversary
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2019, 10:08:26 AM »
Actually there's a 'performance' down grade: Ohlins rear shocks are gone as are the fully adjustable foot controls!  R3~

Offline hauto

  • Gaggle Mentor
  • ****
  • Posts: 257
Re: V7 III Racer 10th anniversary
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2019, 11:51:06 AM »
They had to do that so they can sell those butt ugly white one from last year.Don't mind the white,but that is the lamest stripping I've ever seen

Offline Dave Swanson

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 4840
  • Northern Illinois USA
Re: V7 III Racer 10th anniversary
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2019, 12:27:45 PM »
I like the new Stone S!

Dave Swanson - Northern IL
1935 GTS
1968 V700
1970 Ambo
1971 Ambo
1973 V7 Sport
1974 Eldo
1974 Police Eldo
1976 Convert
1977 Lemans 1.2
1980 T3 California
1993 1000S- Sparklehorse
1998 V11 EV HDM
2004 V11S - Eraldo-ized
2016 Griso - Beetle-ized
2021 V7-850 Cent
2022 V85TT
2023 V100S

MGNOC L-780

Offline Huzo

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 14342
  • Location: Creswick Australia
Re: V7 III Racer 10th anniversary
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2019, 01:31:50 PM »
that is the lamest stripping I've ever seen
Damn..!
I must have stepped out, I missed the stripper..!

Offline Mayor_of_BBQ

  • Instagram: @Mayor_of_BBQ
  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 3656
  • 'Ever thus to deadbeats, Lebowski'
  • Location: Asheville, NC
Re: V7 III Racer 10th anniversary
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2019, 03:25:41 PM »
Deff better than the 2019 White/Red version...

If I was a V7 owner i would be poking around these 2020 V7's to see if the new taillight assy could be a straight swap over to my bike...  That's a huge improvement !  Prob cost you a few hundy to order the factory parts, but I would call it worth it if you want to improve the rear end esthetics without going the tail tidy route.. i bet those are some smaller, euro spec turn signals.. id order those if I was doing the swap and could find a part number


Chad (Shadrach) in Asheville NC
1979 LeMans CX-100 (battle axe)
2007 Breva 1100 (Sport 1200 tribute)

Offline jas67

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 5438
  • Location: Palmyra, PA
Re: V7 III Racer 10th anniversary
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2019, 08:40:02 PM »
That Stone S or whatever it is called looks nice.


I do like the fairing on the V7R.   Looks WAY better than the stupid number plate thing that was on my 2013 when I got it.
2017 V7III Special
1977 Le Mans
1974 Eldorado
2017 Triumph Thruxton R
2013 Ducati Monster 796, 2013 848 Evo Corse SE, 1974 750GT, 1970 Mk3d 450 Desmo, 1966 Monza 250
1975 Moto Morini 3 1/2
2007 Vespa GTS250
2016 BMW R1200RS, 80 R100S, 76 R90S ,73 R75/5
76 Honda CB400F, 67 305 Super Hawk, 68 CL175

Offline kingoffleece

  • SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 4627
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
  • Location: Valley of the Sun
Re: V7 III Racer 10th anniversary
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2019, 08:43:42 PM »
Who would have guessed that the 2020 racer was so polarizing?
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Offline Dave Swanson

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 4840
  • Northern Illinois USA
Re: V7 III Racer 10th anniversary
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2019, 04:56:04 AM »
Make it a Stone S for me please. 
Dave Swanson - Northern IL
1935 GTS
1968 V700
1970 Ambo
1971 Ambo
1973 V7 Sport
1974 Eldo
1974 Police Eldo
1976 Convert
1977 Lemans 1.2
1980 T3 California
1993 1000S- Sparklehorse
1998 V11 EV HDM
2004 V11S - Eraldo-ized
2016 Griso - Beetle-ized
2021 V7-850 Cent
2022 V85TT
2023 V100S

MGNOC L-780

pete roper

  • Guest
Re: V7 III Racer 10th anniversary
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2019, 05:53:31 AM »
These are awful, tawdry, boring motorbikes. Can someone please explain, preferably by PM so as not to clog the board, what the attraction is? I really, really don't get it???? Year after year, endless rehashes of the same essentially 1960's engineering.

Sorry. I just don't get it.

Online Kev m

  • Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 31430
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
Re: V7 III Racer 10th anniversary
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2019, 06:00:24 AM »
These are awful, tawdry, boring motorbikes. Can someone please explain, preferably by PM so as not to clog the board, what the attraction is? I really, really don't get it???? Year after year, endless rehashes of the same essentially 1960's engineering.

Sorry. I just don't get it.

Harley has been showing for decades that not everyone wants the latest/greatest performance package. Many want a classic looking bike that is fun and easy to live with. It need not be the fastest or best handling, it need simply be a bit visceral and fun.

The smallblocks have that in spades.
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline kingoffleece

  • SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 4627
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
  • Location: Valley of the Sun
Re: V7 III Racer 10th anniversary
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2019, 08:38:14 AM »
Pretty much sums it up.
I've had several high performance high hp machines and much prefer the V7. n It's just way more fun to ride.  YMMV, as well it should.
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Offline Dave Swanson

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 4840
  • Northern Illinois USA
Re: V7 III Racer 10th anniversary
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2019, 09:36:39 AM »
I agree with Pete that the V7 series, especially when considering their paltry spec sheet, should be dreadfully boring bikes.

A riding acquaintance just last week asked me what's the favorite bike in my herd, and without hesitation I said the V7.  Kev has always been able to put it into words better than I, but I just enjoy riding it.  It is an elemental riding experience which I find not in the least boring.
Dave Swanson - Northern IL
1935 GTS
1968 V700
1970 Ambo
1971 Ambo
1973 V7 Sport
1974 Eldo
1974 Police Eldo
1976 Convert
1977 Lemans 1.2
1980 T3 California
1993 1000S- Sparklehorse
1998 V11 EV HDM
2004 V11S - Eraldo-ized
2016 Griso - Beetle-ized
2021 V7-850 Cent
2022 V85TT
2023 V100S

MGNOC L-780

Offline vintage53

  • Gosling
  • ***
  • Posts: 247
  • Location: Monmouth County, NJ "Down the Shore"
Re: V7 III Racer 10th anniversary
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2019, 09:50:51 AM »
Just thought I would add another V7 to the conversation!  ... anyway I like it ...  With Ohlins and adjustable foot controls.

Has anyone seen this bike in person?

1977 Lemans
2004 V11 Coppa Italia
2010 California Vintage
2021 Vespa 75th Anniversary Primavera 150

Online bad Chad

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 10046
  • Location: Central Il
Re: V7 III Racer 10th anniversary
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2019, 01:20:36 PM »
These are awful, tawdry, boring motorbikes. Can someone please explain, preferably by PM so as not to clog the board, what the attraction is? I really, really don't get it???? Year after year, endless rehashes of the same essentially 1960's engineering.

Sorry. I just don't get it.

I don't think it can be explained in a way that you will "get it".    Really, I think you do "get it", but rather, can't figure out why others would want it?

It's all a matter of perspective, and what someone is looking for out of a motorcycle.   Guzzi is surely doing it because it's cost effective for them, and the current market seems to have a hard on for Retro bikes.   I like them, however, I like you want Guzzi to stop coasting, and bring to market something new a cool.   None of us are getting younger fast, I think if their going to do anything fun and new, its got to be shown next year for the 100th Anv.
2025 V85TT
1988 YX600 Radian
2016 CSC 250TT

Offline jas67

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 5438
  • Location: Palmyra, PA
Re: V7 III Racer 10th anniversary
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2019, 02:56:53 PM »
These are awful, tawdry, boring motorbikes. Can someone please explain, preferably by PM so as not to clog the board, what the attraction is? I really, really don't get it???? Year after year, endless rehashes of the same essentially 1960's engineering.

Sorry. I just don't get it.

Yes, Pete.   We get it, you don't get the attraction to classic-styled bikes with primitive suspensions. 
You don't have to re-hash it everything a new thread pops up on the V7 series.   You beat that horse into a horse meat purée.

I do value your posts on so many different topics, some very informative, and some quite funny.

I personally am not a fan of cruisers, and especially thing feet forward controls and ape hangers are stupid.   But, people who have them like 'em.    We all like different things.

« Last Edit: November 08, 2019, 02:58:51 PM by jas67 »
2017 V7III Special
1977 Le Mans
1974 Eldorado
2017 Triumph Thruxton R
2013 Ducati Monster 796, 2013 848 Evo Corse SE, 1974 750GT, 1970 Mk3d 450 Desmo, 1966 Monza 250
1975 Moto Morini 3 1/2
2007 Vespa GTS250
2016 BMW R1200RS, 80 R100S, 76 R90S ,73 R75/5
76 Honda CB400F, 67 305 Super Hawk, 68 CL175

Offline Huzo

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 14342
  • Location: Creswick Australia
Re: V7 III Racer 10th anniversary
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2019, 02:57:40 PM »
These are awful, tawdry, boring motorbikes. Can someone please explain, preferably by PM so as not to clog the board, what the attraction is? I really, really don't get it???? Year after year, endless rehashes of the same essentially 1960's engineering.

Sorry. I just don't get it.
I think the problem you have Pete, is that you have the depth of knowlege and inquiring nature to look deeper than a healthy percentage of owner/riders.
That could be seen as a bit of a curse..(but lucky for us).
You perceive inadequacy as a function of how good something is, versus how good it could realistically have been. I offer the opinion that a bike IS as good as the owner perceives it to be.
If you look back into your own past and recall which bike you revered the most as a young bloke, you would be bound to admit you thought that bike was fabulous at the time and now would be classed as garbage.
Which opinion would be correct ? Clearly both, yet how can that be ?
It’s because the conventional wisdom of the time/s led you to that conclusion.
Many riders cannot see deeply enough to find the flaws, because for them the flaws simply do not exist.
I think if you are “guilty” of anything, it’s that you have spent a lifetime staring into the innards of uncooperative recalcitrant buckets of pus and bristle when similar offerings are proported to be “all new” or “new direction”..blah blah.
There will come a time when yours and others Grisos will be classed as utterly dangerous pieces of laughable junk by the luminaries of the day, but that does not mean you are incorrect to hold them in the esteem that you do today.
I’m in the same position with my V85, I do not find it “anodyne and boring” so therefore for me, it is not.
It, and to a greater degree my Norge which is a fat overweight underpowered slug, with a clearly inadequate 2VPC.. :evil: :popcorn:, makes me want to get out of bed and see the world over the screen and I would suggest that no one could successfully graft their opinion onto mine and expect it to grow.
It’s the diversity of opinion that gives this bike thing it’s colour and texture and the constant wonder as to how other people can hold a different opinion than ourselves that fosters discussion.
An opinion by definition can NEVER be wrong.
No one will be able to tell YOU why the V7 is not boring because that perception is subjective and ever will be..
Thank goodness.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2019, 03:22:12 PM by Huzo »

Offline kingoffleece

  • SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 4627
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
  • Location: Valley of the Sun
Re: V7 III Racer 10th anniversary
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2019, 03:15:13 PM »
Nice.  I like that.  And I like Pete's perspective and assistance.  What I REALLY like is that there seems to be a motorbike for all of us, no matter what we like.  And, our likes change over time.

I spent a decade working hard to upgrade my skills so as to pace with some friends who could keep a much quicker pace than I.  Some are still faster and always will be but many are now always within sight.  Funny thing, now that I can I mostly don't want to.  Same with bikes.
I have more fun running the V7 near it's limit that I ever did trying to find MY limit, not to mention the bike's (with a Speed and Street triple) in the "good old days".

What's very much enjoyable is that most of these discussions seem like they'd be a blast with the group all together with a beverage, or two!
« Last Edit: November 08, 2019, 03:16:29 PM by kingoffleece »
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Online Kev m

  • Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 31430
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
Re: V7 III Racer 10th anniversary
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2019, 03:18:01 PM »
Point of order - it doesn't have to be ignorance of the alternative, it can simply be a preference.

It seems counterintuitive, but sometimes a machine that performs "too well" is too perfect, isolating, boring in another way.

In other cases too high a level of performance means you can't ever wring it out or push it.

Other times it means a slight lapse of attention or judgement is more dangerous.

There are lots of reasons why one might choose a bike that isn't the cutting edge of ability or performance.
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Huzo

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 14342
  • Location: Creswick Australia
Re: V7 III Racer 10th anniversary
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2019, 03:19:28 PM »
Yes, Pete.   We get it, you don't get the attraction to classic-styled bikes with primitive suspensions. 
You don't have to re-hash it everything a new thread pops up on the V7 series.   You beat that horse into a horse meat purée.

I do value your posts on so many different topics, some very informative, and some quite funny.

I personally am not a fan of cruisers, and especially thing feet forward controls and ape hangers are stupid.   But, people who have them like 'em.    We all like different things.
He doesn’t need my help..
But in his defence, he did suggest reply by PM so as not to give all and sundry the screaming shits.

Offline Huzo

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 14342
  • Location: Creswick Australia
Re: V7 III Racer 10th anniversary
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2019, 03:24:48 PM »
Nice.  I like that.  And I like Pete's perspective and assistance.  What I REALLY like is that there seems to be a motorbike for all of us, no matter what we like.  And, our likes change over time.

I spent a decade working hard to upgrade my skills so as to pace with some friends who could keep a much quicker pace than I.  Some are still faster and always will be but many are now always within sight.  Funny thing, now that I can I mostly don't want to.  Same with bikes.
I have more fun running the V7 near it's limit that I ever did trying to find MY limit, not to mention the bike's (with a Speed and Street triple) in the "good old days".

What's very much enjoyable is that most of these discussions seem like they'd be a blast with the group all together with a beverage, or two!
If you come to Australia, you can take my Norge, Mk2 or V85 away for a tour..Gratis.

Offline Mayor_of_BBQ

  • Instagram: @Mayor_of_BBQ
  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 3656
  • 'Ever thus to deadbeats, Lebowski'
  • Location: Asheville, NC
Re: V7 III Racer 10th anniversary
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2019, 05:37:09 PM »
Harley has been showing for decades that not everyone wants the latest/greatest performance package. Many want a classic looking bike that is fun and easy to live with. It need not be the fastest or best handling, it need simply be a bit visceral and fun.

The smallblocks have that in spades.

there's your answer... not everyone is looking for a bike that looks like a bug and goes 150mph  :boozing:
Chad (Shadrach) in Asheville NC
1979 LeMans CX-100 (battle axe)
2007 Breva 1100 (Sport 1200 tribute)

Offline Mayor_of_BBQ

  • Instagram: @Mayor_of_BBQ
  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 3656
  • 'Ever thus to deadbeats, Lebowski'
  • Location: Asheville, NC
Re: V7 III Racer 10th anniversary
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2019, 05:39:57 PM »
Just thought I would add another V7 to the conversation!  ... anyway I like it ...  With Ohlins and adjustable foot controls.

Has anyone seen this bike in person?



I saw one in the brooklyn guzzi showroom. I'm not a fan and didnt think it looked any better in person than in photos..  the stripes just dont do it for me
Chad (Shadrach) in Asheville NC
1979 LeMans CX-100 (battle axe)
2007 Breva 1100 (Sport 1200 tribute)

Offline Rich A

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • Posts: 3151
Re: V7 III Racer 10th anniversary
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2019, 06:51:03 PM »
Most of my riding is on two-lane roads, 5 or sometimes 10 mph over the 25 to 50 mph speed limits. I don't need 100 hp and a state-of-the-technology suspension to make those rides fun, and I wouldn't ever approach the limits of a modern sport bike. I've slowed down over time, and the rides themselves have become shorter as I've grown older.

For me, these relaxed sorts of rides would be more enjoyable on a nice 1960s Bonneville than on a Panigale.

The best advice I've heard about buying a motorcycle is to choose one based on its intended purpose. My V7 wouldn't be competitive on the track and wouldn't be very good for extended touring, but for toodling around on a Sunday afternoon, it's just what I want.

Chocolate or vanilla; Ford or Chevy; YMMV; If I have to explain it..., etc.

Rich A

Offline jas67

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 5438
  • Location: Palmyra, PA
Re: V7 III Racer 10th anniversary
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2019, 06:00:54 AM »
I have a Ducati 749 that I've ridden on the track for two years (now replacing it with an 848).    It is a great track bike.
On public roads, meh.   It has to be ridden at 2-3X the speed limit to be fun, and public roads are no place for that.   At the track, there are run off areas, and medical personal standing by.   A 50 MPH low side at the track usually results in little or, just minor injury, but, on the street, depending on what you end up hitting before your slide ends on it's own, the same low side could be catastrophic.

I bought my 848 a month or so ago, and took it for a ride on the street a couple of times.    My V7's, and Eldorado are more engaging for me to ride on on the street than the 848 (or 749).    I have a lot of fun riding them at 0-10 (sometimes 15) MPH over the speed limit.   Same goes for my other vintage bikes.

I have modern bikes on the street too, R1200RS, and Monster 796.   I enjoy those on the street, but, sometimes riding faster than I should (see comments in first paragraph).   When the roads get rough, I do appreciate the Öhlins suspension that I have on both of these.    I added Öhlins shocks to the rear of the 2013 V7 Racer this  year.   What a huge difference over the stock Bitubos, which on their softest damping setting were still to harsh.   I rode that bike twice as much this year as prior years as a result.

All and all, there is a seat for every butt.    Some people get bikes like the V7, others don't.   And, for those who don't, there are a lot of technically superior bikes out there for them to ride.   For those who do, Moto Guzzi has built a variety of different V7's, and also V9's for those who like that style built on basically the same platform.
2017 V7III Special
1977 Le Mans
1974 Eldorado
2017 Triumph Thruxton R
2013 Ducati Monster 796, 2013 848 Evo Corse SE, 1974 750GT, 1970 Mk3d 450 Desmo, 1966 Monza 250
1975 Moto Morini 3 1/2
2007 Vespa GTS250
2016 BMW R1200RS, 80 R100S, 76 R90S ,73 R75/5
76 Honda CB400F, 67 305 Super Hawk, 68 CL175

Offline s1120

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 2199
Re: V7 III Racer 10th anniversary
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2019, 07:39:22 AM »
Point of order - it doesn't have to be ignorance of the alternative, it can simply be a preference.

It seems counterintuitive, but sometimes a machine that performs "too well" is too perfect, isolating, boring in another way.

In other cases too high a level of performance means you can't ever wring it out or push it.

Other times it means a slight lapse of attention or judgement is more dangerous.

There are lots of reasons why one might choose a bike that isn't the cutting edge of ability or performance.

Great points..  Do we all ditch our MG's and ride a bike from the big red H? I think a lot of us LIKE the crude.  like the flaws, like the feeing of the bikes.. I mean, I spent a day last week cruzing down some northeast backroads on my old Cali stone.. 50-55 MPH, and 45 deg out side. Would it have been warmer, and quicker in my Mini van?  yup... but really it was one of those dream rides where you fly away from the world, and think nothing of the ride....  One of the big 4 could have made a better bike for it...  but I could not have wanted to be on another.. The flaws give life.

That being said, and to get back to topic... I really like the new racer. I love the faring on it, but still would ditch the rear cowling, with number plate...I like old, and imperfect.. 
Paul B

Online Bulldog9

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 3603
  • Location: NY'r resettled in the Old Dominion
Re: V7 III Racer 10th anniversary
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2019, 10:40:01 AM »
Point of order - it doesn't have to be ignorance of the alternative, it can simply be a preference.

It seems counterintuitive, but sometimes a machine that performs "too well" is too perfect, isolating, boring in another way.

In other cases too high a level of performance means you can't ever wring it out or push it.

Other times it means a slight lapse of attention or judgement is more dangerous.

There are lots of reasons why one might choose a bike that isn't the cutting edge of ability or performance.

You just summed up my FJR and why it almost killed my MC passion. Knowing it was the 'top of the heap' ST options, and unable to point to anything 'wrong' or bad. It gave me 60K+ trouble free high performance sport touring adventure between 2008 & 2015, and I only rode it 500 miles the last year, despite living 20 minutes to MT Rainier and the beautiful Olympic peninsula. I had zero desire to ride or wrench.... Thought about giving it up, pulling one of my old bikes out of storage, but decided to sell it and buy a more modern smaller/lighter naked bike. The Griso found me and the rest was history. Rode almost 3000 miles the first month or two...........

I ignored the V7 for hundreds of reasons. Small, low power, crappy base suspension, low power.... a great starter bike, and not for me.  Then I spent the afternoon on one and had a blast. Bought a Stornello, and ride it every day. My Griso is my favorite, but the V7 is a brilliant bike. Fun, reliable, loads of character.

Not a big fan of the latest Guzzi 'dressup kits.' particularly the red frame. The flame red frame and swingarm is fine for the Stornello and a couple others, but the Racer needs that beautiful candy red.... I also think the seat cowl is kinda dumb...The racer should also have brushed aluminum front and rear fenders.

I do very much like the aluminum side bits on the new models, was shocked to see all the plastic on the V7iii's

I'd love to see a 'special' with gloss paint, minimal pinstriping, matching painted side covers, dual gauges and chrome fenders front and rear.
MGNOC#23231
The Living: 1976 Convert, 2007 GRiSO, 2012 Norge GT, 2016 Stornello #742, 2023 V85 TT
The Departed: 2017 MGX, 2014 Norge GT, 2004 Breva 750, 2008 1200 Sport
In Stasis: 1978 XS750, XS1100SF

Offline kingoffleece

  • SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 4627
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
  • Location: Valley of the Sun
Re: V7 III Racer 10th anniversary
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2019, 07:39:00 PM »
When I got my Jackal a few years ago it was BECAUSE it felt a bit rude and ALIVE.  Not too smooth, not too perfect, but felt like to ride it correct one had to "listen" to it and partner with it.  It would say "shift HERE, apply THIS much brake, lean THIS much and no further, and so forth".

Perfect modern motorcycles do anything at any speed and almost any rev-whatever the rider demands.  For some, it's much more satisfying to partner with the bike and let it speak it's mind-and requires one to be able to listen to it.  A bit Zen, perhaps, but the Street Triple, which was a fantastic machine, demanded none of that.  All it ever wanted was more throttle.

Maye it's the Bourbon............ ...........double oaked!
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Offline Groover

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 2945
  • If it ain't broke, I'll break it.
    • Scooteropolis
  • Location: Columbus, Ohio
Re: V7 III Racer 10th anniversary
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2019, 08:38:25 PM »
I think it's a sign that Moto Guzzi actually pays attention to trends and what current motorcyclist may be after. Cafe racers, hacking, stripping, minimalism whatever you call, then Moto Guzzi notices and focuses on the V7 and V9. A few years ago there was a TV show on Sky Italia where teams, then eventually individuals would modify V9s based on a theme selected each week, similar to tattoo shows and cake decorating shows. The winner ultimately won I believe the royalties (or part of) of the conversion kit they designed for the V9, and I'm pretty sure the V85 concept spurred from that show as one of the competition episodes was to make an enduro out of a V9 and some actually resembled the new v85 as best as I recall. Anyway, big sidetrack here and my thumb is going crazy here fixing every word I misspell using my phone. Long story short, it's what the trend is, tons of accessories for the market/bike, and that's what is also killing the used Guzzi market a bit lately. Similar thing happened about a half decade ago with vintage instruments. Everybody whom played an instrument wanted worn looking instruments, so a 60's or 70's guitar or bass would fetch 4-10 grand at least, then Fender paid attention and started making Road Worn series that looked used and worn out, selling for 600-1500 new, and killing the vintage market. Same game, designers in these companies paying attention to the trends instead of focusing on something revolutionary. Wherever the money is. My 2-cents.


Edit: found some information on that show that I mentioned - https://wide.piaggiogroup.com/en/articles/garage/omt-garage-with-the-moto-guzzi-v9-silver-knight-is-the-2016-lord-of-the-bikes/index.html
« Last Edit: November 11, 2019, 09:10:13 PM by Groover »
1981 Moto Guzzi V1000G5
1987 Moto Guzzi LM1000SE, a
1987 Moto Guzzi LM1000SE, b
1980 Piaggio Vespa P200E
1980 Piaggio Vespa P125X
1980 Vespa Grande Moped
1980 Vespa SI Moped
http://scooteropolis.com/

Offline kingoffleece

  • SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 4627
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
  • Location: Valley of the Sun
Re: V7 III Racer 10th anniversary
« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2019, 05:20:56 AM »
My Fiesta Red Roadworn P-Bass with flat wounds is one of the top sounding basses I've ever had.  As a bonus, I don't have to take an early 60's Jazz out anymore.
NGC, as you can see.
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.


NEW WILDGUZZI PRODUCT - Moto Guzzi Door Mat
Receive donation credit with door mat purchase!
Advertise Here
 

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here