Wildguzzi.com
Welcome,
Guest
. Please
login
or
register
.
1 Hour
1 Day
1 Week
1 Month
Forever
Login with username, password and session length
Donation Status
News:
New Moto Guzzi Door Mats Available Now
Home
Help
Donations
Advertise
Login
Register
Wildguzzi.com
»
General Category
»
General Discussion
(Moderators:
rocker59
,
Luaps Girl
,
Ncdan
) »
Stelvio A/T tire suggestions
« previous
next »
Print
Pages: [
1
]
Go Down
Author
Topic: Stelvio A/T tire suggestions (Read 1692 times)
Steve350f
Hatchling
Posts: 67
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Stelvio A/T tire suggestions
«
on:
January 27, 2020, 01:31:07 PM »
Looking to put an all terrain tire combo on my new 2017 Stelvio. The tires it comes with, even tho they are “trail rated” are fine for street but I want something with a bit more dirt worthiness. I’ll probably be about 70/30 road to dirt. Suggestions? Also, the front fender seems very close to the existing tire, is this going to be an issue for a tire with more of a knobby tread? Thanks
Logged
2016 Eldorado
2017 Stelvio
1973 Eldorado
1973 Norton Commando
1972 BMW R75/5 Toaster
1971 BSA B50MX
1976 Kawasaki KZ750 Twin
sidmonsters
Gosling
Posts: 135
Location: Medina, OH
Re: Stelvio A/T tire suggestions
«
Reply #1 on:
January 27, 2020, 01:47:25 PM »
I moved from stock to Shinko 705's when it was time to replace, and so far I've been very happy with them. If I were to spend any more time on gravel and trails, I wouldn't hesitate to go to the 805's. I ran them about 1,000 miles on a rented BMW GS in the hills and twisties in New Mexico, (and some straightline slab to get to them from El Paso) and found them really capable in loose stuff and way better and more comfortable than they would appear to be on pavement. And price (Guzzi content!)
Steve
Logged
I intend to live forever. So far, so good....
2013 Stelvio NTX
2019 Royal Enfield Himalayan
2007 Vespa 250ie
Perazzimx14
Gaggle Hero
Posts: 6484
Re: Stelvio A/T tire suggestions
«
Reply #2 on:
January 27, 2020, 02:48:27 PM »
TKC80's. For a big block thread pattern they handle pavement really well and you'll be able to hurl fist sized rocks back at all you riding buddies.
As much as I like Shinko tires (used and use a lot of variants) the longer I have the 705 on the front the less I like it. Sure they wear like iron they stick to cold wet roads just as good as iron. The rear 705 is fine. No complaints.
If you want a real bargain order you up an Achilles Economist ATR 175/55-17 for the rear. Stick like glue on the pavement and good manners and traction off pavement.
Logged
rocker59
Global Moderator
Gaggle Hero
Posts: 24354
"diplomatico di moto"
Location: Aux Arcs
Re: Stelvio A/T tire suggestions
«
Reply #3 on:
January 27, 2020, 02:54:10 PM »
Heidenau K60 Scout has been a popular ADVbike tire for those wanting something a little more aggressive off pavement.
Logged
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2017 Triumph T100 Bonneville
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt
Steve350f
Hatchling
Posts: 67
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Re: Stelvio A/T tire suggestions
«
Reply #4 on:
January 27, 2020, 03:21:19 PM »
Thoughts on the Mitas E-07+?
Logged
2016 Eldorado
2017 Stelvio
1973 Eldorado
1973 Norton Commando
1972 BMW R75/5 Toaster
1971 BSA B50MX
1976 Kawasaki KZ750 Twin
Scud
Gaggle Hero
Posts: 1190
Location: Carlsbad, CA
Re: Stelvio A/T tire suggestions
«
Reply #5 on:
January 27, 2020, 04:37:01 PM »
Here is my Stelvio with the Mitas after running some dirt and gravel roads in the wet. I'm happy with them lots of different conditions and they're fine on ther freeway and around town too.
Logged
1989 Moto Guzzi LeMans
2002 Moto Guzzi V11 Sport Scura
2017 Husqvarna 701 Enduro
2017 Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX
2020 Yamaha TW200
Green1000S
Gaggle Hero
Posts: 1332
Re: Stelvio A/T tire suggestions
«
Reply #6 on:
January 27, 2020, 05:44:57 PM »
I've used Shinko 705's both on Trans Labrador Highway (LOTS of gravel at 50-60mph) as well as from Los Angeles to Pennsylvania. Great tire, no punctures ever, comfortable on road and hard packed gravel.
For MABDR I switched to Shinko 804/5's, VERY happy with them. Great tire on deep, loose gravel, grass or mud. Due to rear block arrangement, rear has tendency to slide sideways at low speeds. No biggie, but occasionally you'll notice it.
Here's the Stelvio on MABDR with 805's.
https://youtu.be/e_Y1xrvsHUw
Logged
Lauri
2014 Green Stelvio NTX
2016 Stornello #101
1972 Bultaco Matador SD
2016 KTM Duke 390
49cc 1921 Guzzi Board Track Racer;-)
1968 Riverside MW 125
1972 Bultaco Matador M82 Six Days
2 Robin's + 1/2 doz other mopeds
Ciao!
redhawk47
Gaggle Hero
Posts: 511
Traveler
Location: Northern Colorado
Re: Stelvio A/T tire suggestions
«
Reply #7 on:
January 27, 2020, 10:13:08 PM »
Check out Bridgestone Battlax Adventurecross AX41
https://www.bridgestone.com/products/motorcycle_tires/products/detail/pr154/
Dan
Logged
Dan
2021 V85TT Centenario, 2016 V7II Stone, CSC TT250, Gone:KLR, CSC RX3,
Dons 1911
New Egg
Posts: 1
Re: Stelvio A/T tire suggestions
«
Reply #8 on:
January 30, 2020, 01:01:11 PM »
I too have a 2017 Stelvio that I bought new a year ago. On my most recent trip I passed 20K miles on it. The stock Pirelli's were very disappointing in all situations. Next I ran a set of Metzler Karoo Streets and really liked them! I had ran the Karoo 3's on my GS the year before getting the Stelvio. Then I ran a set of Michelin Anakee Adventure's on it. A great tire for road use and
light
dirt work. Just before my recent trip to Death Valley and Big Bend I mounted a set of Mitas E-07's. These dudes are awesome in gravel and dirt. Not bad on pavement either, both dry and wet. Haven't had them in the mud yet. I too was concerned about how close the front fender is to the tire, but plenty of room, even for the E-07's! People have claimed ridiculously high mileage from the E-07's, but I don't see it. This trip was almost 3500 miles and these tires are better than half worn. Next up I'm gonna try the Avon Trekriders. Best of luck with your decision! Enjoy the bike!!!
Logged
***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here
Print
Pages: [
1
]
Go Up
« previous
next »
Wildguzzi.com
»
General Category
»
General Discussion
(Moderators:
rocker59
,
Luaps Girl
,
Ncdan
) »
Stelvio A/T tire suggestions
NEW WILDGUZZI PRODUCT - Moto Guzzi Door Mat
Receive donation credit with door mat purchase!
Advertise Here