Author Topic: Helmets need to buy some  (Read 2509 times)

Offline Joliet Jim

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 6249
  • Justus Esto, Et Non Metue
Helmets need to buy some
« on: June 18, 2020, 07:59:56 AM »
Ok, I'm in need of replacing several helmets that were damaged along with the house when the water pipe burst under the upstairs sink. There are a lot of new and even some old new brands that have surfaced since I last bought helmets. Trying to keep under $200 per helmet. I need to replace my daughter's full face HJC, Cheryl's open faced HJC, my modular HJC, my 3/4 shielded HJC, and the open faced Scorpion.

Now Scorpion or HJC would be the easy pick since I know I'm an XL and both daughter and wife are S and these have fit well.

But I see Bell, Biltwell, Shark, LS, etc. in the same price range.

In the past I would have gone to the local bike shop and tried them on and bought them if they fit, but they all seem to have closed over the years.  :cry:

Any recommendations? It seems a lot of the new ones don't have any noticeable ventilation which I definitely need.
 
1975 T160 Triumph Trident "Spot"
2002 Cali Stone "Moby Dick"
2003 Buell Blast "Pegasus"
Just memories
The Psycho Chicken
The Fire Demon
Thumper

Online Dirk_S

  • www.dirkshearer.com
  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 2431
  • Doodler of doodles
    • www.DirkShearer.com
  • Location: Portland, Maine, U.S.
Re: Helmets need to buy some
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2020, 08:23:09 AM »
I have two LS2 Strobe modular helmets (M and L)

worn only a couple times to check fitting. Neither fit me perfectly. Selling them for $75/pc. No drops, no scratches.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2020, 08:24:38 AM by Dirk_S »
Current: '18 Guzzi V7 III Rough, '17 Guzzi V9 Bobber, ‘78 BMW R80/7, 1986 Sputnik sidecar

Previous: '16 Guzzi V7 II Stone, ‘15 Ural Gear Up, '11 Suzuki TU250X, ‘86 Guzzi V65 Lario, '78/‘80 Honda CX500, '77 Kawasaki KZ400 Special

Online Ncdan

  • Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • *
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 6311
Re: Helmets need to buy some
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2020, 09:24:04 AM »
Do your research then act accordingly 👍

Offline Rick in WNY

  • Gaggle Mentor
  • ****
  • Posts: 387
  • Location: NY Finger Lakes
Re: Helmets need to buy some
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2020, 09:30:03 AM »
In my experience, all helmet brands fit a little differently. Did the water pipe bursting change the shape of your head? I ask because if the HJC fit before, they will still fit after. Yes, I'm an HJC guy, not by choice, but rather because they are what fits my head and that is what is important.

This gets batted around by the MC writing community fairly often, here is one of the best guides I've run across in how to select the right helmet for you.

https://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/how-to-buy-and-size-a-motorcycle-helmet

Now for you, the difficult part will be not having access to try on the helmets. Sure, the local dealers have a few, but I am fortunate to have a helmet shop about an hour away, More than 3,000 helmets on the shelves, and yes, you can try them on... Was there recently to try on my new helmet, and HJC RPHA 90. Not a $200 helmet, little more than twice that actually, but worth it in my opinion. Do some searching, see if there's someplace within a days travel you can go try on helmets... that's the best advice I have to give you.

Good luck and ride safe.
Guzzi Owner since May 20, 2017
  2004 California Titanium

Offline bad Chad

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 10045
  • Location: Central Il
Re: Helmets need to buy some
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2020, 09:48:31 AM »
Do your research then act accordingly 👍

Yea, what he said!  Ha Ha :cheesy:
2025 V85TT
1988 YX600 Radian
2016 CSC 250TT

Offline coast range rider

  • Gosling
  • ***
  • Posts: 152
  • Location: Southern California
Re: Helmets need to buy some
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2020, 10:35:14 AM »
Do your research then act accordingly 👍
New safety standard, ECE 22.06 is now being approved. ECE 22.05 has been in effect for around 20 years; it is outdated and long due an overhaul. Over the next 3 years helmet mfr's will be advertising meeting this new standard and in 3 years it will become a requirement in certain areas.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2020, 10:36:29 AM by coast range rider »
2017 Stelvio
2002 V11 LeMans

Offline JJ

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 20004
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
  • Location: Village of Oak Creek, Arizona
Re: Helmets need to buy some
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2020, 11:01:32 AM »
I have two LS2 Strobe modular helmets (M and L)

worn only a couple times to check fitting. Neither fit me perfectly. Selling them for $75/pc. No drops, no scratches.
ery

These are good helmets, if you like the modular flip-up style.  I bought one recently for my Victory.  Fits well, and very versatile.  I believe these are about $230-$250 brand new, so that is a good price, (IMHO) :cool: :thumb: :wink:
Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG,
Village of Oak Creek, Arizona
Current bike: 2025 Moto Morini Calibro 700
Previous Guzzi's owned:
* '78 850 Le Mans
* '02 V11 Le Mans
* '93 SP1000-III
* '83 850 Le Mans III
* '98 V10 Centauro GT

Offline Joliet Jim

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 6249
  • Justus Esto, Et Non Metue
Re: Helmets need to buy some
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2020, 12:19:31 PM »
No the flooding didn't change the shape of my head, dealing with contractors is making it swell.

I'll probably replace with either hjc or scorpion because I know they fit my head. Just looking for opinions. I'll probably just order from motorcyclegear.com and replace with updated models of what I had.
1975 T160 Triumph Trident "Spot"
2002 Cali Stone "Moby Dick"
2003 Buell Blast "Pegasus"
Just memories
The Psycho Chicken
The Fire Demon
Thumper

Offline Rick in WNY

  • Gaggle Mentor
  • ****
  • Posts: 387
  • Location: NY Finger Lakes
Re: Helmets need to buy some
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2020, 01:35:41 PM »
No the flooding didn't change the shape of my head, dealing with contractors is making it swell.

I'll probably replace with either hjc or scorpion because I know they fit my head. Just looking for opinions. I'll probably just order from motorcyclegear.com and replace with updated models of what I had.

I hear you there, get yourself a new helmet before your blood boils so you can go for a ride... best of luck with the unplanned remodeling.
Guzzi Owner since May 20, 2017
  2004 California Titanium

Online TN Mark

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 1259
Re: Helmets need to buy some
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2020, 02:02:25 PM »
I recently bought a Bell Mag 9 which is a 3/4 helmet with a built in sunshield and a flip down clear shield. It was made to work with the Sena SMH10 communicator which is does beautifully. If you have a Sena SMH10 or would consider one at some point, the Bell Mag 9 is awesome. The Sena makes communicating with the passenger or listening your phone or an iPod effortless. I found the helmet fit true to size. The fullface Bell I looked at was the DLX which after trying them on I would have to purchase one size larger for a proper fit.

Online LowRyter

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 16848
  • Location: Edmond OK
Re: Helmets need to buy some
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2020, 02:30:15 PM »
this is a great reference for the helmet safety and performance.

https://sharp.dft.gov.uk/
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Tusayan

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 1905
Re: Helmets need to buy some
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2020, 09:55:26 PM »
I'll probably replace with either hjc or scorpion because I know they fit my head. Just looking for opinions.

I haven’t recently found a reason to buy other than HJC.  They are the largest selling brand for a reason: not perfect, but 90% of perfect at 1/3 the price.  I think I paid $120 or something for the last few I’ve bought. 

I used to buy Icon, but they changed for the worst.  Before that a long string of Shoeis, but their prices are now laughable.

Offline Ryan

  • Gaggle Mentor
  • ****
  • Posts: 265
Re: Helmets need to buy some
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2020, 09:01:16 AM »
Several years ago, things were tight and I needed to replace the Arai. After reading several test and reviews, a cheap Fulmer transmitted less force to the brain than other brands. I bought one. It fit very nicely, but was bare-bones and a little noisey. Replaced it last year with an AGV which fits my head size and shape well. It was nearly three times the money as the fulmer, but I still got change from my 2 $100 bills. Much quieter, built-in sun shade, great finish. I tried several brands and models, and the shape is so different between them, if you can't try a new one on before purchase, I would stick with what you know will work until you can test fit a few.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2020, 09:02:02 AM by Ryan »

Offline Dave Swanson

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 4840
  • Northern Illinois USA
Re: Helmets need to buy some
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2020, 09:16:52 AM »
After many years with nothing but Arai I decided to try a Shoei RF-1200.  So far I am really liking it.  It is a bit lighter and quieter than the Arai.  The face shield is super nice and detaches much easier than the Arais I have had.  It also gives you an option of using a "Transitions" face shield.  Since I am a glasses wearer the Transitions shield will be handy.  I wont have to switch back and forth from sunglasses anymore. 
Dave Swanson - Northern IL
1935 GTS
1968 V700
1970 Ambo
1971 Ambo
1973 V7 Sport
1974 Eldo
1974 Police Eldo
1976 Convert
1977 Lemans 1.2
1980 T3 California
1993 1000S- Sparklehorse
1998 V11 EV HDM
2004 V11S - Eraldo-ized
2016 Griso - Beetle-ized
2021 V7-850 Cent
2022 V85TT
2023 V100S

MGNOC L-780

Offline kirkemon

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 792
Re: Helmets need to buy some
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2020, 07:33:03 PM »
I'm a diehard Arai fan.
I have the Pro shield visor, let's you have clear or tinted with the same visor - no need to switch and works better than a drop down. The Transition visors I've tried never really got dark enough for our California sun.
My Arai has a built-in Sena 10U. Arai make different shapes because not all heads are the same, and the make different size cheek pads in 5mm increments to make a perfect fit. These helmets are very nice (even some F1 drivers prefer Arai). 
Kirk

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here
 


NEW WILDGUZZI PRODUCT - Moto Guzzi Door Mat
Receive donation credit with door mat purchase!
Advertise Here