Author Topic: LED H4  (Read 8599 times)

Offline Wayne Orwig

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 14139
    • Hog Mountain weather
  • Location: Hog Mountain
Re: LED H4
« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2020, 08:32:57 AM »
Well good I guess I did get the point across. The camera sees that outdoors sunny day as 6000-1000 Kelvin and bases it's white balance on that. I guess the moral is don't rely on internet pictures.

Plus a digital camera does not see the same spectrum as the human eye. One of the reasons a digital camera is good for checking if an IR remote control is working.
Good judgement comes from experience.
And experience. That comes from poor judgement.

Offline Lesman

  • Gosling
  • ***
  • Posts: 210
Re: LED H4
« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2020, 01:16:48 PM »
Is 1500 lumens a low output? I think my LED setup is 3000 lumens.

Offline huub

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 794
Re: LED H4
« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2020, 02:21:50 PM »
I too was doing recent experimentation on LED bulbs.  Especially for my '87 SPII which has the weak Saprisa charging system.
The problem I confronted was that most LED bulbs use the P43T socket base format.  But, my Guzzi reflector uses the P45T socket.  I think a similar reflector might be used in a bunch of Guzzi models at that age point.  So, how to convert?  I found this guy in Canada and purchased a pair of P45T-to-P43T adapter rings.

http://www.volvosolutions.com/Misc_P45T.html

They were available singly and cheaper on EBAY but would have to come from Croatia and I didn't want to wait.  Works a treat!  I'm now using this 6,000 lumen bulb and the charging system bootstraps itself and is much more productive to the battery.  I did have to bodge up a safety wire system to hold the bulb in place as the adapter ring and new bulb won't work with the existing Guzzi retainer clips.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08BC4G48W/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The adapter rings are sold in pairs.  So, I still have one left over if anyone would like to have it.  $15 plus postage.

Patrick Hayes
Fremont CA

on aliexpress you can simply order P45T Led bulbs...
cheaper than the adapter rings , and works amazingly well.
ive got those on a orini camel and my guzzi 750 NTX

Bert Remington

  • Guest
Re: LED H4
« Reply #33 on: August 04, 2020, 11:25:02 PM »
mT -- I plan on using this LED H4 in my 2019 V7 III Stone: https://www.amazon.com/DDM-Tuning-SaberLED-Headlight-Warranty/dp/B07TH85PF6/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=ddm%2Btuning%2BSaberLED%2BPro%2BFit%2BH4&qid=1596598424&sr=8-3&th=1



The DDM Tuning description is: https://ddmtuning.com/SaberLED-Pro-Fit-35W-H4HL-W-Y.SaberLED-Pro-Fit-H4-HiLo-LED-Headlight-Fog-light-Bulbs-35W-8000LMPR-W

The Stone headlight shell is 4" deep and the reflector with bulb is 4" deep so any LED replacement has to have interior cooling.  The DDM bulb has an embedded fan.  I probably won't use the rubber weather seal because SoCal is mostly hot and dry so I want to maximize bulb cooling.  I might even drill some cooling holes in the shell.

The description says "ideal for DRL/high beams" which is a bit worrying for low beam but I will be running a pair of Rigid fog lights at the same time so night coverage should be adequate as most of the hazardous critters on the road have two legs.

DDM Tuning came to one of our BMW meetings and gave a presentation on their lighting products.  I liked their emphasis on engineering and quality.  I am using their 35W HIDs in the Norge low beams and they worked much better than Opt7's which failed.  While they are local I will be ordering via Amazon to reduce out-of-house time.

As a rule of thumb, LED replacements are for reflector housings (like the V7) and HID replacements are for projector housings (like the Norge).

So what are you riding?

Offline Dilliw

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 3679
Re: LED H4
« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2020, 07:22:22 AM »
My test is complete.  I went through several dark tunnels on the BRP and rode at dusk this past weekend and this "half an LED" is definitely an improvement over stock and especially the light color.  A couple of people who rode with me also said that the light was noticeable but not obnoxious. 

A bulb like this is only going to work in a nice round reflector housing.  The advantage the Griso has is the parking light is right below the headlight, and with the little 194 also changed to LED it lights up the bottom part so things don't look too unusual.

I'm sure I could do better but for the price I paid I'm very content.

George Westbury
Austin, TX

Wildroamer

  • Guest
Re: LED H4
« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2020, 07:49:53 AM »

Bert Remington

  • Guest
Re: LED H4
« Reply #36 on: August 05, 2020, 09:47:09 AM »
Dilliw -- your AUXITO bulb was on my short list and the price was MG-approved. :laugh:  The reviews said great wide Low beam, not much more light with High beam.

The DDM Tuning bulb appears to be the same as the ADVMonster Native H4R2 cited here: https://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=104679.msg1658849#msg1658849 and MIC Tuning bulb cited here: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XB4K5F7/?coliid=I3609LL8DCKPV9&colid=XSJUFZBZ7BFU&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

An Amazon reviewer said the MIC Tuning bulb had a "dark notch dead center" in the Low beam pattern.  Since I planned to run the Rigid fog lights during Low beam (pedestrians, joggers, wheel chairs, bicyclists, etc are real hazards in the city) I thought they would fill in any Low beam dark spots.

So I spent the big bucks on the DDM Tuning bulbs (and now have a spare).  They'll be here mid-August.  Meanwhile I have to design a mount for the Rigid fog lights.

Offline Antietam Classic Cycle

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 15175
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
  • Location: Rohrersville, Maryland
Re: LED H4
« Reply #37 on: August 05, 2020, 10:45:11 AM »
mT -- I plan on using this LED H4 in my 2019 V7 III Stone: https://www.amazon.com/DDM-Tuning-SaberLED-Headlight-Warranty/dp/B07TH85PF6/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=ddm%2Btuning%2BSaberLED%2BPro%2BFit%2BH4&qid=1596598424&sr=8-3&th=1



The DDM Tuning description is: https://ddmtuning.com/SaberLED-Pro-Fit-35W-H4HL-W-Y.SaberLED-Pro-Fit-H4-HiLo-LED-Headlight-Fog-light-Bulbs-35W-8000LMPR-W

I bought a pair of the same (looking) bulbs on Amazon yesterday: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PRVBXZ6 . The same bulb seems to be sold under numerous "brands" and I really can't tell any difference in quality of those previously purchased from ADV Monster or Amazon (MIC Tuning, FightER).

No "dark notch dead center" on any of mine, that's more than likely a fault of the reflector it's installed into.
Charlie

Offline Tom H

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 3804
  • Location: So. Cal.
Re: LED H4
« Reply #38 on: August 05, 2020, 11:49:52 AM »
Bert,

You mentioned making a mount for your lights. I found some clamp to the fork turn signal mounts to mount my spot lights on my EVT. The lights sit below the fairing. Maybe something like that would work for you.





Tom
2004 Cali EV Touring
1972 Eldo
1970 Ambo V1000
1973 R75/5 SWB with Toaster
1973 R75/5 LWB
2007 HD Street Bob
1953 Triumph 6T (one day it will be on the road!)

Offline Dilliw

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 3679
Re: LED H4
« Reply #39 on: August 05, 2020, 12:39:09 PM »
Dilliw -- your AUXITO bulb was on my short list and the price was MG-approved. :laugh:  The reviews said great wide Low beam, not much more light with High beam.


That would be my review as well.
George Westbury
Austin, TX

Bert Remington

  • Guest
Re: LED H4
« Reply #40 on: August 06, 2020, 01:02:59 AM »
DDM H4s will be delivered and installed Saturday.  Maybe by then I'll have ridden the V7 III more than 100ft.  LED turn signals and brake/tail light installed and they are bright.  Still working on wiring for LED license plate holder and KiWAV supplemental light.

Tom H -- the V7 III fork tubes seem to be an uncommon size -- 41mm.  I'm getting lazy and looking at installing the Rigid fog lights on the Stucchi engine guards with brackets I already have.  They'll be angled about 30 degrees off centerline to illuminate the wide variety of two-legged critters that populate our city streets.  Florida Man may live 2,500 miles east but his cousins are alive and ... entertaining us on the West Coast.  So yeah I'll lose some beam coverage but if it ain't enuf I''l move them to the forks.  My plans are to have them come on with the Low beam and to do a wig-wag flash for 3 seconds when I do a fast push of the horn button.  I'm thinking a slow push is normal horn function but still working out the human factors.  And then I have to plan for heated grips and heated vest for winter-is-coming (tm).  Thanks.

Offline Vagrant

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 2916
  • Location: Gainesville, Ga or Green Valley Az.
Re: LED H4
« Reply #41 on: August 06, 2020, 07:44:26 AM »
Hey George, did you get my PM?
HE IS FREE WHO LIVES AS HE CHOOSES
2026 V7-850 Sport, 2017 V7-III Blue special, 2025 V85 the fast red one! 2023 V85 Guardian of the Oreo's
L-196, L-197

Offline Dilliw

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 3679
Re: LED H4
« Reply #42 on: August 06, 2020, 07:59:09 AM »
Hey George, did you get my PM?

Yes, but since I work you are going to have to wait until my Friday off. :) 
George Westbury
Austin, TX

Offline Vagrant

  • Gaggle Hero
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 2916
  • Location: Gainesville, Ga or Green Valley Az.
Re: LED H4
« Reply #43 on: August 06, 2020, 04:13:15 PM »
Yes, but since I work you are going to have to wait until my Friday off. :)

Ha! No rush at all 86 here today. won't get put on until Sept. at the earliest.
HE IS FREE WHO LIVES AS HE CHOOSES
2026 V7-850 Sport, 2017 V7-III Blue special, 2025 V85 the fast red one! 2023 V85 Guardian of the Oreo's
L-196, L-197

Bert Remington

  • Guest
Re: LED H4
« Reply #44 on: August 06, 2020, 06:39:44 PM »
The DDM H4 bulbs arrived this morning so installed one in the 2019 V7 III Stone.  Found this plastic ring held down by two Philips screws surrounding the incandescent H4 bulb.



After removing the bulb I removed the ring because it was blocking the much larger DDM bulb.  To help with bulb cooling, I didn't install weatherseal grommet.  I replaced the Parking bulb with an LED 194 bulb I had in a leftovers box.  Everything went back together easily.  Especially with a bit of dielectric grease on the H4 spade terminals.

 

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here